IdyllwildArcher 16-May-16
roadkill 16-May-16
MathewsMan 19-May-16
TheSol 19-May-16
10-May-16
+1 WP for me each species...

Good luck to the rest of you!

10-May-16
Hoot, you looking "back door"? I just looked and sheep wasn't there. maybe because I'm a non-resident?

DJ

10-May-16

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
The backdoor was correct. Pumped! Man!

10-May-16
More points here too

10-May-16
Backdoor correct. Successful sheep license. Pretty exciting. Lots to do. Long ways from where I live.

10-May-16
Successful for my sheep tag. Less than 3 months til opening day. So excited!!

10-May-16
Congrats to you guys!

nothing for me

bill v

10-May-16
Congrats you guys!

Straight shooter, back door doesn't work for non residents from what I understand, but it's not needed, official results are posted under the "draw results and preference points" link under big game...

Good luck!

10-May-16

IdyllwildArcher's Link

10-May-16
I was successful in drawing a refund check.

Grats to those who drew.

11-May-16
Twenty-six years unsuccessful for sheep in Colo. Well, there's always next year. Good luck to those who drew.

11-May-16
denied

11-May-16
no bueno

11-May-16
Congrats again to Caz and Dan!

No luck for me.

11-May-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Are you guys talking about me?

11-May-16

11-May-16

Ok, take the shot

11-May-16
G16, 3rd rifle nanny tag here. Super stoked to be chasing these critters around this season!

11-May-16
Drew S57 ram, cant wait! Anyone want to send me info I am all for it

11-May-16
More points...

11-May-16
Goat Tag for me, so will be another summer of scouting every weekend.

11-May-16
Another weighted point.....

11-May-16
Mutton for me!!! Archery ram 6 weeks in paradise!

11-May-16
Keith,

I just sent you a PM.

No Goat or Sheep again for me.

11-May-16
Tim, we WILL talk after Africa! And you used up all your luck on desert sheep! :)

11-May-16
Wow! Congrats you guys!!

12-May-16
17 points and counting.

12-May-16
Just points for me...again. Best of luck to all who drew!!

12-May-16
Another weighted point for me, maybe next year. Good luck to those that drew!

12-May-16
Points only........

12-May-16
I also drew a sheep tag . S32

12-May-16
Congrats Lou. You got my tag :-). How many points did you have?

12-May-16
Thanks . 7 points

12-May-16
The Draw Recaps are posted under the hunting statistics links now for both goat and sheep...

12-May-16
S15 for me! Anyone with any info would be great. Also would like any outfitter recs any of you have! Thanks

13-May-16
Now 3x6. Congratulations to all who have just turned 0x0.

13-May-16
Hi guys-I am new to this site and every time I search for anything related to S12/Buffalo Peaks it takes me to this site. There must be some die-hard sheep hunters here, so I figured I better register and get in on the action. Not new to bowhunting, but live in AK-so don't frequent the boards down this way much. But, I drew the S12 NR tag--so I'll be poking around your site. So far, seem like a decent bunch!

13-May-16
akbow, this isn't just a lower 48 bowhunter website. There's a ton of guys from AK on the site.

Grats on your tag.

13-May-16
Thanks Idyll--didn't mean to say this site was exclusive to L48, just that unless I am researching or there is something I know to contribute I don't go looking for forums to frequent. Without this tag, I wouldn't have found this site. Glad I did--seems a wealth of knowledge to be found here. Been applying since 2000, this is the first chance to get my feet wet with a premium L48 tag. Thanks!

14-May-16
I drew my Colorado Bighorn S34 first season October 15-31.

15-May-16

15-May-16
Drew S49.

15-May-16
Brad, how many points did you have?

15-May-16
FOUR Bowsiters drew sheep tags in CO?

Way to go!

15-May-16
I count 8 on this thread who drew CO sheep

15-May-16
Or 9 perhaps, not counting the goats?

WOW!

15-May-16
Keith,

I had 3 +1. Can't believe I drew! Beyond stoked right now!

15-May-16
Man what an unreal number of bowsite guys drew CO sheep this year!...Great to hear!...even though I only drew another max weighted point.

15-May-16
DID NOT DRAW a desert sheep tag. 14 years trying.

Paul

15-May-16
Actually 10 I believe.

16-May-16
Congrats to all of you guys who drew! Makes us proud. I certainly don't understand Colorado's draw system. Been applying for 16 years and I think that every NR who drew this year drew with a lot fewer points. Now I know why Pat dropped out a few years ago.

16-May-16
Congrats to who those who drew! A lot of guys drew with 3 + 1. Discouraging when you have 3 + 9 and a guy with 3 + 0 draws the tags,

But guess that makes the system good! Anyone can draw!

16-May-16
WOW........congrats to all who drew!!!

16-May-16
Just to put things in prospective, in 1997 as a resident of Colorado, I drew my sheep tag with 6 PP (S32) and two years later, my goat tag with 8 PP.

my best, Paul

16-May-16
Colorado has never had a system in which there has ever been more than 3 actual Preference Points for Sheep, Goat, or Moose...

You get to 3 and that is it... before 16 years ago when they initiated the "Weighted Point" system there was a maximum of 3 Points, and today there is still only 3 Points.

Desert Sheep have NO Point system whatsoever.

16-May-16
There was a time when you could have gotten more than 3 points. One year they severely cut the number of tags in G4 after the draw had taken place due to a low goat count in the unit. Some hunters tags were 'taken away' and in return they received an extra point, giving them 4, insuring they would draw the next year.

16-May-16
Congrats to all you guys who drew!! Living a dream!!!

Not to derail this thread but I have a serious question for you guys who have been trying to draw or have drawn... (moderator feel free to stop me if you feel this is derailing)

I'm 26yrs old with a stable career and dream of hunting sheep. However when I look at my bank account and current financial situation (college loans, vehicle loan in repayment, saving for house etc)it is financially impossible to afford to chase sheep on the off chance I was to apply and draw.

Is it foolish to apply (even for points) for a sheep hunt if one cannot financially pursue it present day?

In my case considering it'll most likely take years of points and applying, and in only 2 years my financial situation is likely going to be (college/ vehicle) debt free, maybe it makes sense to start my quest now??

16-May-16
Absolutely start now

16-May-16
Correct me guys if I am wrong, but for the first three years, you are guaranteed NOT to draw. After that, you could draw the fourth year. So if you think that you might be able to swing it in year four, I would start now. Otherwise, it could take you a decade or two or three to draw. You will have to let Colorado use a couple thousand $ of your money each year though for a few months ;-)

16-May-16
Put the application costs on a credit card or a line of credit, when you get the check back pay it off. Build points now or it might be to late later

16-May-16
Mad Trapper - You can technically still draw before you have three points, there is no rule against it. However, statistically you are correct for ram tags which is what I think you meant.

There are ewe and nanny tags that you can certainly draw before you get to three points. There aren't any ram or billy tags that can be drawn with less than three points.

16-May-16
The downside for Non-residents is that you must apply via paper application and check- they do not accept credit cards for non-residents.

The other piece is that there is often only 1 non-resident tag for units which even offer tags. So you can go to the Statistics Page on the CPW site and see how many you are competing against for a given tag. Someone is going to draw-

There are tags (generally Non-resident Moose and Ewe Sheep) that are drawn without 3 preference points. Some of those tags, probably because they cost the same as Ram and Bull tags have little to zero competition and go to applicants with the most points- some years that is someone with zero points.

Residents, even ewe tags generally require at least 3 points due to competition to draw even the female tags.

Hope this helps

16-May-16
FYI... I did receive my Sheep refund in the mail today.

16-May-16
Up front money is beginning to be prohibitive for me. Hope I can stay in and continue to be disappointed hearing the draw results.

16-May-16
Just an FYI- the S32 Non-resident Archery Ram tag draw had 1:145 odds, the Rifle tag had 1:207 odds.

Compared to NM, MT and other states those are fairly respectable odds for a ram tag.

16-May-16
3 and 15 for me.... nothing. When I started it was $250 and 3 times the number of tags. I'm in too deep to quit. Ed F

16-May-16
"I'm in too deep to quit" Now that is addiction! Maybe next year!

16-May-16
Guys,

I truly appreciate the insight from all of you. This is what I love about BS- all the common ground we share and the willingness of others to take the time to give credible no nonsense responses!

I have some research of my own to do, but its always good to have some knowledgeable opinions affirming my sentiments.

Just ball parking.... how much can a non resident expect to tie up in a Colorado Archery Ram application? And how long does the CPW hold the money for?

I'm sure I missed the deadline for this year anyhow...

16-May-16
Chronic, I'm going by memory here so I may be off a little bit:

For RMBHS, the tag is around $2100 and you have to send a check or M.O. - you can't use a card. They'll have your money for a couple months.

the DBHS tag is just under $1400.

You cant apply for both animals - it's one or the other.

Additionally, the RMBHS draw has a point system that basically precludes you from drawing for the first 3 years.

The DBHS tag is a pure lottery and has about 1:370-400 odds yearly.

16-May-16
I drew Unit S51 after 14 points dont know allot about that area yet have my work cut out for me. Any body familiar with that area

19-May-16
A friend here in Meeker drew the new S61 RFW Ram tag- lucky dog... I'm trying to put him in touch with a friend that had a S61 Ram license a few years ago.

19-May-16
Did anybody here draw the single S37 archery tag?

• Sitka Gear