Franzen 09-Jun-16
rattling_junkie 09-Jun-16
Healy55 12-Jun-16
Healy55 12-Jun-16
Mike Ukrainetz 12-Jun-16
31-May-16
Advice on guides for bear hunt in Alberta good or bad

31-May-16
This would be an easy choice for me, Mike Ukrainetz and Mike's Outfitting. Bowsite sponsor, looked for his thread on the bear forum. He kills giants!

31-May-16
We have had great luck with Ben Cockell at Northern Albeta Outfitters.

04-Jun-16
Be 100% sure Mike has his regular staff before going.

04-Jun-16
Healy55, What does that mean? I was thinking of booking with him, but your post has me a little alarmed:/

06-Jun-16
Healy55 had a poor elk and moose bowhunt with me in 2010 due to a poor guide who does not work for me anymore. I had a week or two before the season to find a new guide after one or maybe it was two guides backed out on working for me. (Can't remember all the details) I thought I had a good replacement, I was wrong. I let him go soon after Todd's hunt. I apologize Todd(healy55) if I didn't make things right with you after that hunt. Please call me to discuss it and make it right 780 864 3770.

I learned from that episode and now I do little guiding and I'm the replacement for a poor guide until I get a new one, hopefully people like me?! Plus I have a better system for finding fast replacement guides.

06-Jun-16
mike ukrainetz is good guide and outfitter. book with confidence. Bear hunts aren't tough to do and be successful with a good outfitter. Mike is on my list of top 3 outfitters to go with. I been to canada several times and odds are great that you will get a good bear if you are patient and can shoot 20 yards.

06-Jun-16
If your not stuck on Alberta then check out Desjardins Outfitting in Manitoba. He is a Bowsite Sponsor on here. Lots of Colored as well as big Bears. They are usually sold out at least a year ahead of time but I know he recently got 5 more tags awarded to him for his area.

06-Jun-16
You want to sit in a tree and shoot a bear over bait?

Or spot/stalk in ag fields and see 50-100 bears in a week?

I did the best bear black bear hunt on the planet in northern Alberta a couple years back. PM me for details.

06-Jun-16
Having a poor employee for a short period of time can happen to any place at one point or another. If an outfit has a volume of reviews then you can look to that. I think Mike has a pile of reviews on here if I were you I would check those first before being concerned about the one-off. Plus, hate to say it, but a bear guide doesn't affect the outcome of your hunt like an elk or moose guide would no matter what baited hunt you undertake. Spot and stalk is different.

The systems of baiting and over/under hunting of a bait site that an outfitter uses is by far a bigger determining factor. Look to someone that has consistent success through the years. There are going to be off-times no matter who they are as no one can determine weather etc, but a good bear outfitter will be consistently successful.

06-Jun-16
Mike,

Thank you for being up front and honest! Bad employees happen and so does crappy weather. I was just curious what Healy55 had to say. Hopefully you can make it right by him,and he will the sing your praises:)

06-Jun-16
Yes, as unfortunate as it is when it happens it happens. But when you are the one who spent the $$ and used up your vacation and maybe your once a year or two hunt, it really takes on a serious nature. I hope they can work it out so everyone is happy

06-Jun-16
SteveB,

I completely understand our point sir! I have no knowledge of what occurred on the hunt, but I do know that I would have never have left until it was discussed and worked out with the outfitter! Or, if the outfitter wasn't available, he would definitely hear from me as soon as he was. at best I get to go on a "guided hunt" every 4-5 years or so, pretty expensive for a working man to afford. I haven't hunted with Mike...Yet, but I have had several conversations with him. I am sure he will do right by Healy55.

God Bless,

Scar.

06-Jun-16
No doubt Mike will do a great job. I was just sympathizing with Healy55. I've been on the receiving end of unqualified guides a couple of times and it doesn't feel very good....especially when you know you will have to wait a year or more to try again. Life is too short. I have drastically increased my investigative process and sometimes even use a booking agent with a very good reputation.

06-Jun-16
I know exactly what Mike is saying about trying to find one in an emergency. They are hard to find. Like him, that's why I do a lot if the work myself. Saxons a great help for me.

I would recommend Mikès Outfitting anyday if your looking in Alberta!!!

06-Jun-16
Hunted bear only twice, both times in Manitoba. Great folks, but two different experiences. How committed is your outfitter? It seems only positive posts show up on the Outfitter Reports. It is a place to start, but see if folks will PM you.

The part said above about over-hunting bait sites I agree with. This year I saw 1 bear while on stand for 5 days and hunted a bait site 2 days in a row that showed little sign. I never do that whitetail hunting, but I am new to this.

Planning another hunt in 2018 and already checking things out, especially if the outfitter is staying in business himself or trying to sell.

06-Jun-16
I always ask for a couple references that were not successful, it's good to talk to people directly on the phone. I have never had a problem with people calling me back. Just be thorough. BowSite Sponsors are all pretty good from what I have heard.

SteveB has a good point with using a booking Agent!

Scar.

06-Jun-16

longbeard's embedded Photo
longbeard's embedded Photo
Alberta Wilderness Adventures with Louis Shilka. Spot and Stalk. Great guides and camp outfit. I did a spot and stalk hunt with a bow. Harvested a mature brown/blonde boar on the evening of the last day. My first bear hunt and wanted to do S&S. Gun hunters killed some great bears and tagged out early. Note: that skinning table is 7 feet long

06-Jun-16
I hunted with Mike twice he operates a first class operation with a great camp in a game rich environment . If your hunting bears in Alberta you need to talk to Mike.

07-Jun-16
Snelloutdoors,

That is what I keep hearing! I will most likely use Mike and I hope to go in 2018:)

Scar.

07-Jun-16
Mike's Outfiting....First class, honest, reputable and an incredible bowhunter himself....

Mark

07-Jun-16
Wizard Lake Outfitting looks good as well.

07-Jun-16
I went with Mike at Mike's Outfitting a couple of years ago and had a great hunt with ZERO problems or issues. I would not hesitate to go back and make a bear hunt with him again and hope to soon since I really like the way he has ground blinds now to get you even closer to the bears eye to eye.

I've got a bear hunt booked for next Spring at Wizard Lake Outfitting which I am looking forward to and counting the days down. I booked with this place so that I can add fishing on the hunt.

Good luck in your choice and if you are looking to go back in 2018 let me know and I might can join you if you want some company.

07-Jun-16
Add Eagle Eye Outfitting to that list. They've had a couple really good years.

07-Jun-16
My wife and I hunted with Mike in 2014. It was excellent in every way. We are also thinking about a return trip in 2018. Mike is committed to providing an awesome hunting experience.

07-Jun-16
id check out bearpaw outfitting website out of alberta, or wizard lake outfitting. . they kill some absolute monster bears and prolly the biggest whitetails in the world.

08-Jun-16
Mike has a good reputation that is why we went all the way up to hunt with him. The guide I had was extremely bad, obviously not qualified and was a last minute replacement. In my opinion the hunt should have been cancelled do to no qualified guide and I could have come the next year. Mike has his reputation for a reason however I feel like I should have been offered a lot more than I was to make good on the mistake. I have followed the success he has and believe it is a good hunt but it still stings a bit.

08-Jun-16
Healy55, I understand well what you are saying. With the cost of getting to Northern Alberta, as well as the couple weeks of vacation, it is a pretty good sting to end up with a ruined hunt. I hope you are able to get things worked out.

08-Jun-16
Healy55.....so how bad can a baited stand hunt be even with a bad guide? Just curious.

08-Jun-16
I think it was an elk hunt....a bad guide on a baited hunt can be bad. Does the guide care about wind direction, stand placement, is he talking loudly at the baits, is he picking guys up early because he doesn't have confidence in the dark, can he skin a bear, etc. Also, a guides attitude can affect the camp atmosphere, who likes to be on a vacation surrounded by negativity?

A baited bear hunt is not a guarantee, I am finishing up my personal bear hunting season this week, I hunt one of the best areas in western Canada and I have yet to set eyes on a true trophy bear, on the other hand my buddy has had multiple encounters and shot a nice 7' last week.

08-Jun-16
Rattling if you are in northern Alberta and with a good guide I don't know how someone can't shoot a P&Y bear IF conditions are seasonal - obviously snow, fire, etc can have a impact.

It's like antelope hunting in AZ. No way you aren't shooting a P&Y animal unless you choose not to.

Now if you are looking for B&C that's a different story but can't imagine not shooting a great bear on a bait in northern Alberta.

I have gone on a fishing trip the last 2 years and have shot a 18/19/20" bear on that trip in a total of 4-5 hours on stand. I did shoot with a gun but the bears were 20 yards or less (if I wanted to drag my bow with me it would be easy but just can't bring myself to bring another thing to carry with all my fishing stuff).

Now I may be lucky but seeing other reports most guys are shooting similar bears in similar camps.

08-Jun-16
Hi again Todd(healy55), would love if you gave me a call and spoke with me. I think I have resolved the issue going forward but obviously need to fix a past problem. Please call, I don't have your number.

08-Jun-16
Think that Mike is trying to make things right? This is what I would call a reputable outfitter and one of the qualities I look for in an outfitter. Someone who stands behind their product or brand is what I think makes a great company or in this case an outfitter. Healy55, if I were you, I would give him a call!!!!

08-Jun-16
..........and if you don't give him a call probably no need to drag him around for the world to see on the site. he has proven both human and reputable in the instance. It's up to you now to get closure and move on fairly. good luck and stay positive.

09-Jun-16
Sage Buffalo, the reports are great. There is never a guarantee with hunting. My point is that a good guide is very valuable in a baited black bear hunt. Ask any outfitter on this site, I am sure they will all tell you that a good guide is an asset. I wouldn't want to spend my hard earned money and time and then get stuck with a terrible guide regardless of the species one is pursuing.

To really understand my point talk to all the black bear hunters who have had a poor guide. There is more to baiting bears then just throwing some meat scraps in a bucket.

Buck I hope you find what you are looking for.

09-Jun-16
"..........and if you don't give him a call probably no need to drag him around for the world to see on the site."

Probably worth repeating.

09-Jun-16
Healy55 hardly dragged Mike around for the world to see. He just gave an honest review, and even admitted that Mike runs a good outfit.

12-Jun-16
I was on an expensive combo elk moose hunt with mike and as I said he has his good reputation for a reason. He made a mistake I gave an honest response and he responded as well to give his side. Rattling_junkie you know very well first hand I believe the entire experience for me not if or what animal I take home.

12-Jun-16
Mike Ukrainets I sent you a PM

12-Jun-16
Sorry Todd but I can't find the PM, never got notification of it and too stupid I guess to figure out how to even find it? I don't know if anyone else can tell me how to find it. Or if you wouldn't mind just giving me a call that would be great. Sorry for the hassle, thanks.

• Sitka Gear