Zbone 07-Jun-16
Pete In Fairbanks 07-Jun-16
Zbone 07-Jun-16
Buffalo1 07-Jun-16
Keith in colorado 13-Jun-16
06-Jun-16

Bushwacker's Link
From FOX news today.

Issued warning of possible attacks in South Africa. For those traveling there this summer, keep your head on a swivel and stay alert. Be safe....

06-Jun-16
Yup. And then there are those of us that leave in 2 days, that will be in tourist spots in Cape Town and London, as well as the hunting locations in SA :)

06-Jun-16
Bake - I'd be more worried about the criminal thugs in baggage at JNB airport. Put your rangefinder, binos, cameras, etc. in a carry-on. Your bow will be OK. It's the small things of value that are stolen the most.

06-Jun-16
Yep, that's what I've done. Except my Rangefinder. My Leupold has a visible laser warning on it, and I'm worried they won't let me carry it on. So I packed it in my bow case

06-Jun-16
Well, I hope none of you guys run into any of that, but it is a valid concern in this day and time. My prediction is that you won't be able to this in a few years, looking at how the political and religous turmoil has escalated in the world in the last few years. Americans are not near as welcome in some countries as they were years ago.

06-Jun-16
drycreek, It's a shame we don't return the favor to those that impose these dangers to traveling Americans.

Bake, good luck on your hunt. Many pics required. I want to see Great white pics man! God Bless

06-Jun-16
"Americans are not near as welcome in some countries as they were years ago."

That is because of the pathetic and weak leadership we've had recently.

You always need to be mindful of the inherent dangers when traveling abroad - remember, you are the foreigner in their country and they have completely different sets of rules.

06-Jun-16

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
The great Muslim mosque in JoBurg

06-Jun-16
All this worry on the 72nd anniversary of D-Day...the world has forgotten.

06-Jun-16
Cool pic Buffalo: that looks similar to Turkish mosques in style.

06-Jun-16
RSA is about 80% Christian.

Muslim population overall is low in RSA and Namibia. I saw more in Capetown than in JoBurg; but then again, I spent more time in the metro in Capetown. Have never seen any in the rural bush country.

Muslims have a rich history in the slave trading era in Africa. Roosevelt spoke a lot about them in his African safari book which was early 1900's.

06-Jun-16
Safe travels. Good luck on the safari.

06-Jun-16
HDE, that's a large part of it I'm sure, but don't get me startied on that. Not enough room in even the community forum for what I think about that !

06-Jun-16
sorty, double post

07-Jun-16
Wife and I just returned from 6 weeks in RSA. No problems experienced.

I always feel safer in the rural areas than I do in ANY of the cities like Cape Town or Joburg.

Pete

07-Jun-16
Pete,

Welcome back. Your fellow Bowsiters are anxiously awaiting the detailed thread that you are going to share with us....especially the photos and hunting stories....we can hardly wait!! (insert small, subtle hint here)....

07-Jun-16

Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Pete In Fairbanks's embedded Photo
Crap! I guess I need to go ahead and edit my journal. I'm ready to weather the criticism; I didn't use a bow...! Awesome trip nonetheless.

Pete

07-Jun-16
Pete - Only sissys use guns on cape buffalo...8^)

07-Jun-16
Nope. Sissies and old fat guys who can't run real fast any more!

It sure is the shits when you realize that by the time you can afford to finally accomplish a life long dream, that you are hardly in shape to accomplish it!

Pete

07-Jun-16
I feel ya Pete, never been to my life long dream of Alaska and probably won't get there until retirement in another 5 years or so hopefully at age 62, and by that time this old fat man ain't gonna be in no condition for it... That sux....

Best of luck in future endeavors...

Sorry to hijack... Back to the topic...

07-Jun-16

Buffalo1's Link
I ran the alert about RSA by my travel agent. The attached is the link I was provided with concerning warnings and alerts. Wonder where Fox News got their info?

13-Jun-16
Just spent 2 weeks over there, no issues while hunting but we spent another week in Cape town and the security was very high! All the shopping areas had a large police presence, felt very safe while there.

• Sitka Gear