BOWUNTR 19-Jun-16
HDE 19-Jun-16
JLBSparks 19-Jun-16
GF 20-Jun-16
BOHNTR 20-Jun-16
HerdManager 20-Jun-16
14-Jun-16

APauls's Link
Seems like a much stiffer penalty than the average penalty I see get handed out. Especially for blatant poaching. Nice to see!

14-Jun-16
" I made a mistake....and I regret it ".

Yeah, but if he had gotten away clean, he would have been bragging to his buddies. Good job Idaho !

14-Jun-16
Sad loss of an exceptional animal!

14-Jun-16
IMO a lifetime ban of hunting and fishing licences is not enough. Poachers are not hunters in the first place.

14-Jun-16
As I think some of you know, I'm the chair of the CA DFW's Big Game Advisory Committee, which consists of NGO's like CA WSF, RMEF, MDF, etc.

At our last meeting, the Department's Chief Law Enforcement Officer spent some time with us to get our input on two things in particular:

1. What criteria should they use to designate a poached deer, elk, antelope or sheep as being of 'trophy' quality.

2. What should the penalties be for said poaching.

Re. the penalty for poaching a Desert Bighorn sheep in CA, I recommended, only somewhat in jest, "Death by hanging."

14-Jun-16
Poachers are hunters, they are not Sportsmen. There is a difference.

14-Jun-16
They are NOT hunters!

They are thieves and criminals who give hunters a bad name!

14-Jun-16
Just sat in on a AZ G&F meeting. In those meetings they meet out the penalties for those with game violations. The first case was a man that had taken a mule deer in a closed area (USAF bombing range).

During the course of the hearing when the investigating officer was asked what had happened to the antlers he stated that the defendant had told him that he had tossed them up in a palo verde tree at his sisters. My wife let out a comment under her breath indicating that somehow she didn't quite believe that a man who had just shot a 200 inch mule deer with a bow would toss the antlers into a tree.

Because he had not surrendered antlers or meat and had evasive answers on to the whereabouts of them he got the maximum penalty allowed. 5 years no license, 4000 fine lost his archery equipment.

Terry

14-Jun-16
Check out the definition of a hunter, yes they are.

They do not follow the law which makes them not Sportsmen who do follow the law, nevertheless, they do hunt for an animal...their method is not cool though.

Are drivers who speed "crminals"? Yes. To the pedestrian or cyclist, do they give drivers a bad name? Yes. Are they still drivers? Yes.

14-Jun-16
NO, They are NOT hunters!

They are lawbreakers and in NO WAY represent the lawful hunting community!

Shame on you for claiming otherwise!

14-Jun-16
You hold true to your handle.

You can't go through life operating on emotion...

14-Jun-16
People who intentionally break the law are NOT hunters and it has NOTHING to do with emotions. It has to do with facts and reality.

It has EVERYTHING to do with ethics and respect for wildlife.

Shame on you if you don't agree with that!

14-Jun-16
HDE, they're not hunters.

14-Jun-16
HDE, you sound stupid.

14-Jun-16
I don't support lifetime hunting bans for poachers. It just perpetuates more poaching and our G&F depts don't get the revenue from the hunting/fishing licenses that they may have otherwise bought. A lot of these cases I've seen have been people who did buy hunting licenses, they just killed animals they didn't have tags for.

Fines and jail time to fit the crime which should vary for the specie and trophy class. I don't think the same penalty is due for a guy who kills a WT doe for meat and the guy who kills a Bighorn without a tag.

14-Jun-16
"Shame on you if you don't agree with that" READ my post

"HDE, they're not hunters" READ my post

"HDE, you sound stupid." READ my post

And the wolf pack is loose! Is that the best ya'll can do?

I made a rebuttal, then said why as misguided as it was/is for you. Obviously you disagree based on your definition. Objectively, can you argue different?

Emotions have everything to do with it. Made you mad and it shows. READ MY POST - don't make it worse by guessing.

14-Jun-16
It looks like someone is just trying to get under someones skin, funny you would pick this statement for your "battle".

DJ

14-Jun-16
HDE,

YOU DIDN'T POST ANYTHING other than a totally unsupported and undocumented claim.

14-Jun-16
A driver driving illegally would be called an illegal driver- which is distinguishable from a driver. Likewise hunting has regulations to follow. If done illegally it is called Poaching- not hunting. Poaching is the term used to distinguish illegally harvesting an animal from legally hunting. We all know the difference, if some anti-hunter wants to make a war of words out of it- who cares; we all still know the difference.

14-Jun-16
TITLE 36 FISH AND GAME CHAPTER 2 CLASSIFICATIONS AND DEFINITIONS

36-202. DEFINITIONS.

(j) "Hunting" means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following after or on the trail of, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for, any wildlife whether or not such wildlife is then or subsequently captured, killed, taken, or wounded. Such term does not include stalking, attracting, searching for, or lying in wait for, any wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the purpose of watching wildlife or taking pictures thereof.

Notice it says nothing about having a license or tag or doing the "hunting" during an open season.

So ... According to Idaho law, HDE is correct. Poachers are hunters. Just illegal hunters.

14-Jun-16
A 'war of words' is precisely the battle that needs to be fought and won. How else do you think the anti-hunting and anti-gun world always seems to be ahead?

Being close minded, regardless of us all knowing the difference, is what they cash in on. When you you don't pause long enough to consider what is being said, you lose. Name calling is the pinnacle they seek then feast on.

14-Jun-16
The difference between a poacher and a hunter can be a minute, a yard, or an innocent transgression. I bet every person who posts on this site has violated a game regulation (i.e. became a poacher) at one point or another in their hunting career - whether it was intentional or unintentional. Some of the most celebrated Bowsiters have admitted such on this very site.

15-Jun-16
Loss of hunting to a poacher is minimal, however the felony charge will ruin him. He probably was the type that doesn't have a job anyways, so he'll just let the government pay for his pot. I would be in favor of 6 months or a year in jail over all the fines, with a stiffer penalty for second offense.

15-Jun-16
Like it or not, HDE is correct

They DO hunt animals but unfortunately they do it unethically, illegally, unsafely, etc..

I understand the semantics involved but this sort of tit-for-tat childish arguing is exactly what the anti-hunting establishment loves to see.

Grow up and stand together

15-Jun-16
You guys can stand for whatever you want, but I wouldn't want anti's to see HUNTERS considering POACHERS one of their own, and I never will.

15-Jun-16
Boggs, tell it to the folks that write and enforce the law.

15-Jun-16
He certainly made a Huge mistake and the lifetime ban is nice to see. For those who say it's not enough put yourself in that position of never ever being able to legally hunt, would drive you crazy. Nice to see some judges hitting poachers where it hurts.

15-Jun-16
"Loss of hunting to a poacher is minimal,...."

If you're talking about the loss of hunting rights, you're probably correct. Most poachers won't care. They'd just keep poaching.

OTOH, if you're talking about the number of animals poachers take every year, you're dead wrong. It numbers in the tens of thousands.

In Africa, the problem is multiple times worse.

18-Jun-16
Maybe a person convicted of hunting game illegally and have a sentence of lifetime ban on hunting would be required to in addition to fines and jail time be made to purchase hunting license for the state the violation took place. The license would be marked cancelled in red letters, that way he would be supporting the Fish and Game for the rest of his life without any benefit. It could be called a non-hunting hunting license.

18-Jun-16
So the definition of Hunting is in fact wrong.

Glad we got that settled. Now we need to get that changed. Hunters have worked hard to earn a sporting reputation and to show that we care for the animals and the habitat they live in. Promoting ourselves as the ultimate conservationist. And a simple play on words can instantly change that perspective in the eyes of those who don't understand.

18-Jun-16
Who's definition changed? A small group's perhaps? Public opinion matters and in the eyes of the public, a hunter is someone who goes out and kills animals. They don't distinguish between 'Sportsman' who obeys the law and 'Poacher' who doesn't until a 'Hunter' tells them the difference.

The bad aspects of hunting have always been portrayed, you can thank Disney for that. So, the only ones to change the definition are 'Hunters' themselves.

18-Jun-16
My definition has never changed.

So the definition of Hunting is in fact wrong.

Glad we got that settled. Now (we) Hunters! need to get that changed. Hunters (Most Bowsite Members and the like) have worked hard to earn a sporting reputation and to show that (we) care for the animals and the habitat they live in. Promoting ourselves as the ultimate conservationist. And a simple play on words can instantly change that perspective in the eyes of those (The Public) who don't understand.

I think we just said the same thing, just in a different way. Man I am so tired of trying to be politically correct. Where did common sense go????

18-Jun-16
Bowsite Pre-K is in session.

Lets argue about definitions.

Next word up

Petty

18-Jun-16
Opinions are always arguments...

19-Jun-16
It all started when someone told NavaGvUp he was wrong... SOP... Ed F

19-Jun-16
lesson learned - don't tell anyone they are wrong. Just go with the flow for now on, right?

19-Jun-16
I can't believe I followed this thread.

-Joe

20-Jun-16
"You guys can stand for whatever you want, but I wouldn't want anti's to see HUNTERS considering POACHERS one of their own, and I never will"

I don't see anybody lining up to adopt any...

All poaches are hunters; some hunters are poachers. End of semantic distinction. If you don't care to deal in Facts, you may as well sign on with the Antis.

Funny, though, how the Newsies always manage to nail the distinction between a paying customer and an armed robber, even though both left the store carrying merchandise and some cash...

20-Jun-16
HDE:

You're opinion is valued as well.......just understand that some on here believe they are larger than life itself.....and always seem to remind us about it....all while they pat themselves on their back! :) Carry on.

20-Jun-16
Why is it that the word "mistake" has taken on a whole new meaning lately?

A mistake is picking up 2% milk instead of 1%. Making a conscious decision to break the law is not a mistake. It's a premeditated decision. They are in no way related.

Nobody wants to own up to their awful decisions. Saying it was a "mistake" somehow lets them disassociate themselves from the horrible thing they have done.

• Sitka Gear