Bob 16-Jun-16
oldgoat 17-Jun-16
GF 17-Jun-16
BSBD 17-Jun-16
tradmt 17-Jun-16
trkytrack 18-Jun-16
Jaquomo 18-Jun-16
15-Jun-16
What kind of set ups are you guys using with a longbow or recurve ?

15-Jun-16
If you don't have a limb bolt to work with ?

15-Jun-16
AMS makes a rubber strap-on mount that works with their system - works great. I shot many with the old ring type reel taped to the bow. Crude, but works. I also installed a stabilizer insert into an old bow.

15-Jun-16
Strap on quiver

15-Jun-16
I made a mount out of strap aluminum that I attached AMS reel to and taped it above and below the grip. Cost $5.

15-Jun-16
All ya need is a hand wind reel, some commercially made even tape onto bow riser/handle, or screw into stabilizer insert if recurve has one, or get a "gizmo" (I think is what they call it) made by Great Northern, and strap it to the riser/handle of longbow and/or recurve and will allow you to use the screw on type...

These hand wind reels are fairly cheap but effective... I own a couple, one made by Bear Archery, and the other by Cajun Archery (I think)....

OR make one yourself, there are a few how to on the internet....

15-Jun-16
I drilled the riser on a Palmer recurve intending to install a threaded bushing. Then I discovered he puts a steel plate in the riser for some reason, so I tapped that and screw stuff in.

16-Jun-16

MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
I have used selway quivers with my 58"-60" Talltines recurves. As far as other specs I shoot between 55 and 60 pounds and 525 to 550 gr arrows with grizzly broadheads.

16-Jun-16
My bad guys, I had bowfishing rigs on the brain... Carry on...

Stickbow setups for hunting is too broad a subject for one comment, but suggest go over to the Leatherwall (this site's traditional forum) and am sure you will get plenty of opinions...8^)

16-Jun-16
I thought this was a bowfishing question too!

16-Jun-16
Z and jaq it was a bow fishing question. Thanks for the replies. Bob

17-Jun-16
My opinion is buy a cheap metal riser bow that has a stabilizer insert so you don't jack up your nice bows. I have an old Bear 76'r I've used, it worked great, cost $80. Think PSE sells one called the Kingfisher that runs like $180 and has the fishing setup with it.

Edit: Actually they run even cheaper than $180 on eBay!

17-Jun-16
Z and Jaq get extra points for being clairvoyant!

Nothing slicker than screwing something into the stab mount. I e never gotten fancier than a plastic spool, but I've always coveted one of those big Zebcos..... They're the BOMB!

Extra points if you got that one..

17-Jun-16
I've used all types. Hand wind is fine, big Zebcos are ok but I have an AMS Pro now and it's so much better than anything else. I put the AMS on an old Hoyt Hunter Supreme metal riser that I got for $75 with 60# limbs. The t/d is nice especially on a boat. I also modified a rod holder so the bow sits in the holder instead of laying on the deck.

17-Jun-16
AMS and duct/gorilla tape. Simple, stays put and just plain works. These threads come up a few times a year and there is always mention and recommendations for the hand spool stuff but if you're going to blowfish more than a few hours a year and/or from a boat you will find a retriever like the AMS to be well worth the money.

You can screw them to a riser as well if your bow has the inserts or you can install them yourself.

As mentioned you could go with metal risers and 'dedicated' fishing bows but my opinion is that they are too heavy for my liking and unnecessarily so when taping a retriever to my wood risers works so well.

18-Jun-16
Used the handyman's secret weapon, duct tape, and just attached a bowfishing spool to the bow. Winding the line back on the spool with a big carp on the end of the line kinda stinks but it works. Remember: if the woman don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!

18-Jun-16
Since it was on the bowfishing forum I figured it wasn't about desert bighorns..

;)

• Sitka Gear