jims 21-Jun-16
iamnutzy1975 22-Jun-16
iamnutzy1975 28-Jun-16
sitO 28-Jun-16
walking buffalo 28-Jun-16
iamnutzy1975 29-Jun-16
walking buffalo 30-Jun-16
21-Jun-16
Drawning antelope tag for archery season in Alberta this year. Interested in purchasing antelope decoys or Cow Moo decoys.

21-Jun-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Depending on when you will hunt. Prior to the rut, a pronghorn buck decoy may not work as well or at all, as during rut and chasing phase. My experience has been prior to the rut, the does see this decoy and take off, taking the buck with them.

A Cow Moo decoy takes some special consideration to get close with. One needs to take a lot of time advancing towards a buck without spooking it. Slow, and it may take an hour or two to get within bow range.

There has been a few guys on this site that have used 2-3 decoys in a feeding situation near their blind and have had some luck.

Not much use for a decoy if you hunt a water hole.

Have fun. Paul

21-Jun-16
I have an original Mel Dutton I would sell. I'm probably out of the spot and stalk business.

21-Jun-16
Sent a PM drycreek

21-Jun-16
As Paul mentioned above, decoying can be pretty tough outside of the rut. You may be better spot and stalk if there is too much water?

22-Jun-16
My tag is valid from September 1st to 24th, so that should cover some of the rut.

28-Jun-16
Why is the Mel Dutton such a better decoy?

28-Jun-16
If you are belly crawling which is normal in "their" terrain, it's easy to slide out in front of you on the ground. Lightweight, quick to set up, and has good coloring as well.

28-Jun-16
"My tag is valid from September 1st to 24th, so that should cover some of the rut."

About ten days of decent decoying time, 5-6 days of peak rut activity....

Are you from Alberta?

As Paul mentioned, using a decoy too soon in the season can be a negative. If there is a particular buck you a chasing, using the decoy too early may just educate him....

Often overlooked in a good decoy is the stand setup. The common single spike setups allow the decoy to spin in the wind and are really tough to push into the ground.....If conditions are dry, you will be pushing a nail into concrete. Customize the decoy with a two pronged spike to prevent spinning and add a kick plate to facilitate stomping it into the ground.

Homemade decoys are easy and effective. ;)

29-Jun-16
Yes, I drew a tag in Alberta and will be hunting in between Calgary and Brooks.

From what I gather, 14th to their 24th is the best time to decoy bucks in.

I also have purchased a couple antelope calls to compliment my setup.

Thinking about the cow-moo decoy for early season stalking, but I'll need to scout the area first to see what is natural.

It's been a wet spring so far so I believe there is enough water spread around.

When is the peak rut? Is that the best time decoying, or is it on the shoulders of peak rut? or does it mostly matter on the bucks mood/attitude/etc.

I do love learning to bowhunt a new species.

30-Jun-16
Yes, I drew a tag in Alberta and will be hunting in between Calgary and Brooks.

--- Not sure how you drew a tag already, The results are not posted until Aug.10. Perhaps you are just confident you will draw this year. Are you a resident or will you be hunter hosted? Which draw code (wmus)? The landscape and range of Pronghorns is quite different north or south of the highway. I can possibly help out a bit here.

From what I gather, 14th to their 24th is the best time to decoy bucks in.

--- Yes, later is best. Decoying before the 15th is tough, best times start around the 15th and peak quickly from there. In most years, the 18-20th can be crazy for decoying action.

I also have purchased a couple antelope calls to compliment my setup.

--- Have both a buck and doe call. They will really help and can make all the difference. Gordon Eastman's Pronghorn calling video is a great watch to learn the basics.

Thinking about the cow-moo decoy for early season stalking, but I'll need to scout the area first to see what is natural.

---Pretty sure cows are now "Natural" in every field in Alberta.:) just a question of which colour to use... lol...

It's been a wet spring so far so I believe there is enough water spread around.

--- Wet? Depends on the field. And it is much to early to know how wet or dry it will be come Sept. The bonus with decoying over waterholes (besides being 1000% more fun) is that it doesn't matter how much standing water is available.

When is the peak rut? Is that the best time decoying, or is it on the shoulders of peak rut? or does it mostly matter on the bucks mood/attitude/etc.

I do love learning to bowhunt a new species.

--- There are a pile of variables to both the general mood of the population and that of individuals.

The easiest and my favourite way to pigeonhole Pronghorn behavior and how to hunt them with decoys and calls is to relate them to Elk. IMO, Pronghorn rutting/mating behavior is incredibly similar to that of elk. Pre-rut activity, gathering and defending of harems, confrontations and posturing between males, reactions and responses to calling, herd and satellite bucks.... Pronghorns are just like elk.

• Sitka Gear