PAbowhunter1064 14-Nov-18
Bowfreak 14-Nov-18
APauls 15-Nov-18
Pope125 15-Nov-18
ELKMAN 16-Nov-18
kscowboy 16-Nov-18
Slam38 16-Nov-18
25-Jun-16
How do the hypodermics compare to the standard rages in terms of performance and penetration

25-Jun-16
I can't answer the question due to lack of use but I'll be sure to tell you fixed blades are better. Just kiddin. I generally got pass through with both on whitetails. All shots under 20 yards because I'm lucky not a good hunter.

25-Jun-16
I've been shooting them since last fall. Moose, musk ox, black bear and a brown bear. They've been great and I like them better than old design.

25-Jun-16
LOL

26-Jun-16
Nick,

Any challenges with them "staying together" on spot and stalk hunts?

Mark

26-Jun-16
None at all Mark. None. The old models were horrible in that respect.

26-Jun-16
I would go with the new hypodermic +P, better swept blade angle and a 1.5" cut, just like my beloved rocky mt snypers, this will be the head I switch to when I run out of snypers, but with 5 or 6 pack left plus replacement blades it will be a while

26-Jun-16
Check out th new Muzzy HB. It's a cross between the Rage and a fixed. Fly just as well and very durable in my testing. All steel too.

26-Jun-16
i dont think you are allowed to buy rages unless you own a yeti.

26-Jun-16
Kentuck, I think you need to have an Ozonics and a Scent Lok suit as well.

27-Jun-16
Check out the ramcats. Penetrate like crazy and the blades can't close. Cut a big hole and fly like field points

27-Jun-16
Check out the ramcats. Penetrate like crazy and the blades can't close. Cut a big hole and fly like field points

27-Jun-16
Excellent head, and far better than the original design as far as staying together on stalks. Near impossible for them to accidentally open with the new Shock Collar design. They are VERY sharp right out of the package, shorter profile for improved flight, and all steel for crushing bone if need be. I also prefer the new +P option for any game larger than deer. You won't be disappointed as long as you do your part!

27-Jun-16
I have shot dozens of animals with Rage heads (along with shooting dozens more with other fixed and mechanical heads) and for deer, I do not think there is a more devastating head out there. The blood trails are huge but short as I cant remember the last time I didn't watch one of the animals fall over. I have not shot an elk or anything like that with them but I would not hesitate to use them.

27-Jun-16
I know 2 people who have thrown them away so far this year due to poor performance. KISS

27-Jun-16
The hypodermics are way better than the originals, I've killed a few deer with them but switched back to shuttle t lock after a few hits with poor penetration. Blades are still weak on the hypos. I use what I have left of them for turkeys

27-Jun-16
I started to get pretty interested. The practice tips cost more than the broadheads I normally use. WOW

27-Jun-16
I was given a pack last year to try out. I did shoot my best buck ever at 67 yds with it. Complete pass through and a lot of blood, short recovery. Of course the shot placement was key but the head flew great.

I did have a few complaints with the model I had: They would rattle when stalking with them,

The shock collar was fairly weak and would fail, especially if it had been taken on and off a few times. This allowed the blades to pop open a number of times when caught on grass, very annoying.

The wide blade angle and huge cut had me worried about trying them on elk.

So the new Hypo +P has me interested. Also the new shock collar looks better. I learned a trick to stop the rattle in the blades- put bowstring wax on the top of the blades to fill in the gap in the ferrul when closed, and no rattle, and they stay closed a lot better when putting them on the shaft. The same guy who told me that also would modify the blades to make them only open 1.5" with a better angle- so

Looks like Rage is working on making them better.

27-Jun-16
I have to think this is just an attempt by Bou to stir the pot during the boring summer months, 'cause I'm pretty sure he's not a Rage guy...

In any event, I have used them once and killed a nice 6 x 6 bull elk. Passed straight through, left a blood trail with huge spurts of blood every couple yards out to one side, and the bull died within 75 yards or so.

27-Jun-16
actually I have used a rage on the last couple animals and plan to use a hypodermic on the next. it's about where you shoot less than what you shoot.

27-Jun-16
Rage should junk those shock collars and use rubber bands, they work 100% and its easy to see if there is an issue

28-Jun-16
"Shock Collar" and "+P"....

gosh... sounds so.... trademarked....maybe even...ahhh never mind. LOL! The world is turning...

Nick, good to hear you're a fan. And no trademarks mentioned even. That I trust. Actually you I trust. Some others.... lets call it "trademarked"....

You AK guys can use em on griz now?

28-Jun-16
Been running them for a while now, love them and the collars. So far this year I've shot 11 pigs and an aoudad with them. Plan on tacking on a few elk, lope, deer in the next few months.

28-Jun-16
Yes TD, can use them on all big game in AK now, as it should be, up to the Bowhunter.

The reason for poor penetration is because of super light arrows. Get some weight behind them and they are deadly (they are very deadly even with minimal, non pass thru, shots as well. Blood all over)

28-Jun-16
I think they are good heads, but the ones will less cut....the "+P".....are the best overall ones in my opinion.....plenty of cut still and better penetration.

I have been using the low ke kill zones recently, but may get some of the +P to try as they are basically the same head from different companies.

28-Jun-16
Due to the design, the regular Hypeshocks should perform without problems on crossbows too. IMO

Janez

29-Jun-16
One thing I noticed is the blades, when held in by shock collar, seem much more tight and locked than on the previous rage. almost seems too tight, or too hard to get them to open.

is this standard and have others noted the same thing without it being an issue?

29-Jun-16
I set mine up so the blade is in the small separation of the collar. Still very tight but no resistance upon opening.

30-Jun-16
What does the +P mean?

30-Jun-16
+Penetration

30-Jun-16
Yes thank you BF but what does that specific head have that is different than one without +P ?

30-Jun-16
Smaller cutting width. 1.5" vs 2.0"

30-Jun-16
They are a good head and Ive had no issues nor have my friends on whiteys. I am looking forward to testing the NAP Double cross here soon.

30-Jun-16
Blade angle is different as well. More gradual angle allows for better penetration.

28-Jul-16

28-Jul-16
I wasn't a fan of the original Rages but I think the Hypodermic is a big improvement.

I use a pretty heavy arrow (FMJ 300's with a 125 gr broadhead shooting a 75 lb Elite Impulse) and I think that helps the penetration a ton.

I shot an antelope last year and a BIG black bear this spring with complete pass thru's on both and big entrance and exit wounds.

Going to stick with VPA's for elk but plan to shoot them Hypo's on 'lopers this fall as I feel I can shoot longer distances more accurately with those but will switch to the fixed blades in early September.

28-Jul-16
Too bad they don't make the Hypos+P in 125 grain.......unless I'm missing something I only see them in the 100s.

13-Nov-18

Jpayne's embedded Photo
Jpayne's embedded Photo
Jpayne's embedded Photo
Jpayne's embedded Photo
Jpayne's embedded Photo
Jpayne's embedded Photo
Rage hypodermic +P. 20 yards behind the shoulder, hit bottom of spine and stuck in the off side shoulder. 64lb 260ish fps 471gr arrow.

13-Nov-18
did BH test and had a few left over so I shot a 4 year old buck with a rage hypodermic, I made the best shot of my life, I walked up on the buck 45 mins later and he was still alive I was not happy, what happened is it hit ribs and deflected straight down. Not a fan, that poor deer should have been dead long before that.

13-Nov-18

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo
This is the first year I used them and I can tell you that I’m really surprised on how good they perform.

13-Nov-18
They are my go to head, love them!

14-Nov-18
Killed around 4 or 5 with hypos... they are a great head. The rattle in the blades and periodically opening when going in and out of quiver was only reason I switched. They are lethal heads!

14-Nov-18
Ive been killing deer with them for the past 5+ years. One BH killed seven deer before I lost the point. Spine hits= no damage to the point besides bent blades. Blades are easy to sharpen too.

To reduce blade openings, I add a wrap or two of thread to the middle of the blades. Never a problem with penetration.

14-Nov-18
I've used the +P hypodermic on the last 2 deer I've killed.Both shots were pass throughs and the doe I shot 2 weeks ago made two or three bounds, stood still for a couple of seconds trying to figure out what happened and tipped over. They shoot great and I've had zero issues with them. That said, a few years back I shot a doe with a 100 gr Stinger that reacted the same way.

14-Nov-18
If you like the Hypo's, you'd LOVE the Trypans.

14-Nov-18

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
X's 2, midwest!!! I'm LOVING the Trypans!!! Last 2 years, last 2 bucks fell tho them. Touched up the blades, installed new keyed collars (blades don't vibrate), and it's back in my quiver.

14-Nov-18

2017 buck

14-Nov-18
Both are great heads. They would be the clear favorites for rear deploying heads if the blades were supported better. The weak point is the long blade not being supported the whole length. They will fold on real hard hits. By that time, you have a dead animal but they aren't perfect. The Killzone has a better blade deployment and retention system and much tougher blades but it penetrates way less than both of these heads. All 3 are good options for sure you just need to pick which suits you and the game you hunt best.

15-Nov-18
Shot one buck with hypos. He snowplowed for 40 yards from point of impact. Arrow stopped on offside shoulder, so no exit but damage done.

15-Nov-18
IMO, I think the shock collar is a weak design. Things rattled real bad in my quiver .

16-Nov-18
Any of you that are still shooting the Hypodermics: Switch to the Trypans and you will never look back. I have shot countless animals with Rage two blades in a bunch of states, and multiple continents and I have yet break a single blade. The ferrules are weak on the Killzones.

16-Nov-18
How are the Trypans at longer ranges? I have no issues shooting distance with the Hypodermics but the longer design of the Trypans made me leery to try on my elk hunt before hearing what others have experienced at longer ranges. Thanks!

16-Nov-18

Slam38's embedded Photo
Slam38's embedded Photo
I was very impressed with the hypo +p 86 pass through on this Tule

• Sitka Gear