Mr.C 08-Jul-16
Martin Man 08-Jul-16
Mr.C 12-Jul-16
Hugh 12-Jul-16
Razorsedge 12-Jul-16
Mr.C 18-Jul-16
LKH 18-Jul-16
06-Jul-16
I have permission from the all important spouse to book a moose hunt for 2017. (My lifelong dream) I have been busy looking at the previous posts and outfitter reviews.

I'm currently leaning towards Newfoundland. If anyone has any other thoughts, advice, etc I would like to hear it.

06-Jul-16
What are your expectations and how much is the budget is were to start.

Conne River Outfitting for Newfoundland - Ask for David

Covert Outfitting for Moose in BC - Ask for Kiff

Gundahoo River Outfitters for BC Big Moose- Ask for Crystal

Renfro's Alaskan Adventures for Alaska Moose - Ask for Zack

You can tell them all that Steve Presnal referred you.

I have hunted with all.......

06-Jul-16
How much is she letting you spend?

06-Jul-16
In that 5 to 6k range for the hunt price, not including travel and other cost.

06-Jul-16
My thought is simply this: Plan it as if you can only go only once in your life. I have been on 3 hunts where I blew it looking at price. I have had many where I did it the right way. If a really good outfitter who practices excellent trophy management cost 2k more dig deep and take the plunge. In the long run 6k vs. 8k is not a big deal. Look at BNAA if you are going to Newfoundland. he has a great outfitter. Blessings, Gary

07-Jul-16
Would you guys say that there is a better hunt elsewhere for 8k vs 5k in Newfoundland?

07-Jul-16
Newfoundland has the most moose density per square mile. While there are 50+" moose roaming the Rock, I would think 30-46" wide moose would be "average". I am no expert by any means, only hunted there twice so this was my observation.

What size would you be after?

07-Jul-16
What does a Shiras go for in the lower 48?

07-Jul-16
they are all draw tags so that is the first thing

07-Jul-16
The problem with shiras is the draw. There is not anywhere to get an OTC tag. I know if I drew one I would not hire a guide.

07-Jul-16
Doesn't Utah still have the ranch tags for Shiras?

07-Jul-16
I'm going to NFL this year for the first time (for my first moose hunt). The big difference between NFL and the areas out west are the size of the moose. That's what you're paying for. From my research, there's no place with as high a density as NFL for moose, but they only get so big compared to those in Alberta, BC, etc.

07-Jul-16
I was thinking the same thing about UT. I know that NR's have to contact landowners for elk (CWMU'S). Not sure about moose. Might be because you can OTC elk.

07-Jul-16
Utah does have some guaranteed Shiras tags on private land through the CWMU program. They are very expensive and highly coveted and folks are on a list several years out in all the situations I know of in waiting for a tag.

Martin Man, Newfoundland is a very good option for a Canadian Moose hunt. Just be very realistic with your goal for this hunt and how you are hoping to accomplish it. DO YOUR HOMEWORK for sure. A lot of newfie outfitters run great camps but a trophy bull just is not a very likely encounter. Many folks even on here who have hunted Newfoundland several times will tell you tell you that a true 40" bull is at the very upper end of the spectrum of trophy quality. Most hunters will not encounter a bull like that over there week in Newfoundland. The few that do better take the shot if it presents itself as that will definitely be one of the biggest bulls taken with most outfitters for the season on the rock.

My advice to you as to all of my clients is to not settle!! If you are fairly certain that you will only go on one Moose hunt in your life DON'T SETTLE!! Make it count even if it takes an extra year or two to save some extra bucks for your dream hunt.

Best regards, Scott Alberda - Bowsite Sponsor

07-Jul-16
By biggest goals for this trip would be, first to be able to get the meat home and second to take a bull with antlers that actually look like they came from a moose.

I can spend extra $ if that gets my goal.

Jason

07-Jul-16
PM sent

07-Jul-16
Go Alaska self guided and kill a monster. It's very doable.

07-Jul-16
Congrats! That's also on my bucket list! (grin)

ElkNut1

08-Jul-16
My hunting buddy and I are headed back to NL in 2017; week of Oct.8. This will be my 7th trip to the Rock; his 6th. We are not bow hunters but; having been with the same outfitter on all previous trips, we wanted to look for someone else there and choose Conne River based on the reports on Bowsite. True we like antlers but are more meat hunters. We booked the drive-in camp as Dave answered all questions promptly as we are elderly old critters and need some comforts.

08-Jul-16
get remote(bush plan) in the Alaska Yukon ,learn how to moose call and be ready after you do even if your standing in camp! be ready after your chop n wood to! heard more then 1 story about them walk n right in because of it...bring 2x extra tarp and cordage...my first moose hunt ever was last year!it was very remote in the Yukon NW of Bethel and my brother and I both got nice moose..best trip of my life so far...get away from everyone and everything best of luck to you

MikeC P.S double check your gear box`s for everything on your list before loading in plane trust me lol

08-Jul-16
I would love to try self guided in Alaska, however none of my friends or family are into going on hunting trips and I'm not real comfortable doing that alone.

12-Jul-16
Maybe someone on Bowsite is in the same boat you are? dont give up easy if its what you wanna do MikeC

12-Jul-16
I didn't hunt with these folks, but spent time after our DIY hunt with several of their clients and one of their guides at a B&B in Dillingham. They were very successful on both moose and bears.http://www.huntbearmoosecaribou.com/johns2/Introduction/go

12-Jul-16

Razorsedge's Link
I don't know what this outfitter charges, but I live and hunt in Ontario. As a non resident , you can book a hunt with an outfitter, that can supply you with a bull tag. Don't overlook Northern Ontario for a moose hunt. Our group hunts near to this outfitter, and we have archered several dandy bulls in the last 6 years, 62 inches, 50 inches,47 inches, 48 inches. I don't personally know this outfitter, but this video is impressive, our group hunts moose the same way, a hell of a thrill. https://youtu.be/YUFVBSXOOm0.

18-Jul-16
dont wait to long to make a plan and book,or youll be hunting moose in 2018,ive found this site has some good references.ya might wanna get started....good luck MikeC

18-Jul-16
PERMISSION? PERMISSION? What's with permission and all the uses or the LET word. Hey, have a great time.

Alaska without someone to give you help could be very difficult. The logistics are rough and expensive. I think you may have the best choice with Newfoundland.

• Sitka Gear