midwest 24-Jan-23
WV Mountaineer 24-Jan-23
midwest 24-Jan-23
timex 25-Jan-23
timex 25-Jan-23
scentman 25-Jan-23
Bow Crazy 25-Jan-23
16-Jul-16
So, I chew Copenhagen, and I try not to use it when I am hunting, but mostly I fail:/ I carry it with me and love a good dip while out hunting.

Do you dip while you hunt?

Scar.

16-Jul-16
That stuff stinks ! Do you think the deer smell you more when you are chewing ? I used to chew at work , but never chewed while hunting .

16-Jul-16
Nope not any more. Quit and took all that money and bought more hunting stuff. You will never know your true hunting potential while dipping in the stand. That last was a lie or was it. You will never know unless you quit. Tobacco is nasty.

16-Jul-16
Almost a year ago, August 18, since I bought my last can of cope. A can every other day for almost 20 years.

If they smell your dip, it's already too late and they smell you anyways. The stuff you spit on the ground isn't going to make them high tail it out of there. It's not like they leave the country from every single new smell. It is the least part of success or unsuccessful hunt.

That being said, hard to hunt when you're dead from that crap. I think that'll affect your hunting more.......

16-Jul-16
Never have, never will.

16-Jul-16
I've done it both ways. I used to then went with never doing it. I dip a can about every three days. I now carry a bottle to spit in when treestand hunting. God Bless

16-Jul-16
Doesn't make a difference, don't chew much, one dip a day, always have a dip in while bear hunting in the spring, spit it on the ground, never had a bear even sniff it, don't chew while deer hunting, makes me cold, nicotine constricts blood vessels. Love the chew, but don't need it!

16-Jul-16
I get a can for camp every year but don't chew while hunting. After elk season is over I don't chew.

As far as smell, back when I chewed regularly and hunted out of a freestand, I used to spit. Can't count the number of times I've had them right under my tree paying no attention.

A buddy who used to chew Red Man swore deer would come in and lick his spit residue.

People somehow have the idea that deer are afraid of strange or new smells. That's a myth. They smell different stuff continually. What spooks them is smell that comes from human bacteria gas. That's produced on the outside of our skin, on our tongue, and in the oil residue we leave behind. Chew? Naa..

16-Jul-16
Ok, I will preach! More of a health issue than a hunting issue. Dipping will cause you nothing but problems!

Just look at the guy they just named the National League batting title after!

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/80040976/hall-of-famer-tony-gwynn-dies-at-54-after-cancer-battle/

16-Jul-16
Used to chew while hunting all the time. Except when wearing a head net, gets pretty messy when you spit then. Or when using a diaphragm call when turkey hunting.

Most of the chewing I do now is actually dipping a herbal stuff. No tobacco so no nicotine but that has never bothered me. I always chewed not for the "high" but just, I guess you could say to keep busy. Ran into the herbal stuff by accident actually tried it a few times before realizing it wasn't tobacco.

The brand I use is Smokey Mountain. Comes in several flavors and actually will freshen my breath according to my wife. Actually cheaper than most and no higher than the off brand of tobacco. You can get free samples for the price of shipping by going to their website. If they would only make it in leaf like regular chewing tobacco I'd be in hog heaven. I actually asked the company about that and they said they had looked into it but the setup cost was to prohibitive.

16-Jul-16
Never would it is not worth the health risk. Shawn

16-Jul-16
I'll second what Joe said......but for personal reasons. I dipped for almost 25 years.....especially when hunting. It shouldn't have surprised me when I was diagnosed with oral cancer (lower lip).....luckily my dentist wanted the spot tested and it was caught in an early stage. After surgery and lots of testing, I've been cancer free for 2.5 years now. I really don't miss it......and either do the critters I hunt.

16-Jul-16
Ok, I will preach! More of a health issue than a hunting issue. Dipping will cause you nothing but problems!

Just look at the guy they just named the National League batting title after!

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/80040976/hall-of-famer-tony-gwynn-dies-at-54-after-cancer-battle/

16-Jul-16
Interesting, in another post several people mentioned carrying it on their person. it doesn't spoke deer, I have had does and bucks walk right up to me sniffing it... Never had them spook until they figured out what I was:)

And yes the health risks are horrible! I know I need to quit, quitting dipping is harder than quitting smoking. Ask me how I know...

Scar.

16-Jul-16
I find that the smell of my vomit spooks deer way worse than the smell of the chew!

Tried it 4 times in high school with 4 different brands. Same result each time.....I turned green. Thankfully, I wasn't cut out to chew tobacco, or smoke it either.

16-Jul-16
Funny stuff. You are doing that to your only body and your concern is an animal May be frightened. Crazy

16-Jul-16
Here's the numbers, I was dipping one can of Copenhagen a day. Buying a ten can roll every ten days at an average of 50 bucks a roll. The day I quit I started a savings account and put 50 in it every two weeks on payday. That's 1,200 a year for gear. That was about five years ago. I'm to the point that I can't spend it all each year now.

16-Jul-16
At one point, I asked a co-worker to save me his lids, as I was goi g to use them for some kind of art project... Some tribes have gone to using them as subs for Elk teeth on ceremonial items...

Anyway, a month or so later, he showed up with a paper sack full of 'em, so I thanked him and said something about how I'd thought he'd forgotten about the whole thing.... He said "No, but NEVER ASK ME AGAIN!! "

Turns out his wife had found the stash, done the math, and let's just say he'd had more pleasant mornings on other occasions.....

But FWIW, tobacco smells don't seem to bother animals unless/until the smells have become associated with a threat.

16-Jul-16
I do.

Dries me out in the elk woods..... but keeps me awake in a treestand or long drive. Its the only time in a year I chew anymore...

16-Jul-16
Yeah, I don't do it while I am doing heavy hiking or climbing... But when I stop, Yummy:)

Scar.

16-Jul-16
Soon as I read the thread title, knew it'd quickly turn into a anti drug campaign...8^)

BTW, I don't do it, got sick on Peach flavored chewing tobacco at Kenton Field Dog Trials as a teenage and haven't touched the stuff since... Matter of fact, I can't, I gag to puke just getting a good whiff of chew or rub... I used to luv to smell it, but my gag reflexes won't even let me smell it since that fateful night... If ya ever want to keep your kids off it, give'm a good wade of Peach chew at an early age, (I believe it was Beechnut Peach if I remember right)... Guaranteed to cure them...8^)

16-Jul-16
That's like asking the bear if he craps in the woods

16-Jul-16
E-cig

16-Jul-16
Wonder if you can get E-cig in Tink's 69 rut flavored...8^)))

16-Jul-16
If deer like it, then DON'T spit - just let it dribble down your chin and you are an instant attractant! Of course, you better be prepared to hunt alone...

16-Jul-16
If I'm alive.

16-Jul-16
I chewed Levi Garret back in Highschool. Couldn't stand the dip type stuff. I quit about a year after school and never did it again. The craving is still there sometimes but my will power and health are l stronger than the cravings.

16-Jul-16
Yep I sure do.

17-Jul-16
Killed all my deer with a dip in

17-Jul-16
Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants which = buck fever for me. Nothing of the sort while I hunt. Some people it doesn't affect like that, but I avoid both when I hunt because I get the shakes in the moment of truth with either.

More importantly, it's bad for you. It's not common, but I've seen two patients die of esophageal cancer from it. It's one of those things we don't find till it's too late.

Mike/Nick/Justin/Lou/et al, you guys should quit because of the potential. Or it might not do you a lick of harm. Hopefully it doesn't. Not worth it IMO. I've largely shelved my tobacco pipe even though I really do love it. Perhaps a couple times a year the enjoyment outweighs the risk.

17-Jul-16
Never have dipped----

Quit the Marlboro's on Jan 06,2014 and I can't believe the difference in my endurance/stamina, extra $$ savings, the stench is gone too!! haha

To each his/her own though.

Good luck, Robb

17-Jul-16
I chew redman golden blend when in the woods. It keeps me awake, covers my breath, keeps the bugs off me. To me it is traditional as my osage selfbow. When I was in ranger school they let us have one pack of 'licky or chewy" a day. When the course started two ( I was one, as I was raised outdoors on the farm and in the woods of WI) out of 350 chewed, by the end all 120 remaining chewed. Rangers used to use/mimic first nation woodcraft skills and chewing is a first nation tradition. Ya'll that talk about health issues preach running for health, yet multiple people die running during most marathon races. Everything in moderation.

17-Jul-16
"Ya'll that talk about health issues preach running for health, yet multiple people die running during most marathon races. Everything in moderation."

Exercise is more dangerous in moderation than tobacco habit in moderation?. OK, ......... do what you want, but at least be honest with yourself if not anyone else.

17-Jul-16
I thoroughly enjoy a little Copenhagen while in a treestand or stopping to glass but not while hiking or climbing. The rest of year I don't even think about it. For me, it falls in the same category as alcohol. In moderation, the health risks are low but still there. Neither are beneficial and both can get out of hand quickly. I only wish exercise would get out of hand as easily.....

17-Jul-16
Ike, I quit almost 30 years ago out of health concerns. I live in "chew country" and know guys who put one in when they wake up and never not have one in, even in their sleep. Some chew a can of more a day for their whole lives. Have never known anyone who developed cancer but a few chronic chewers with gum issues. I know this doesn't mean anything because some are predisposed to cancer, others apparently not. So eliminating the catalysts is always a good idea.

I get one can every September and keep it in camp, enjoying a SMALL dip after meals, when I get back to camp, etc.. At the end of elk season I toss whatever is left.

I guess I'm one of those lucky few who can do that and not develop an addiction.

17-Jul-16
My great grandfather quit chewing plug tobacco when he figured up it was costing him 5 dollars a year. He got to thinking how much he could do for his family with that 5 and quit. I used to pay 50 cents a pack for Levi Garrett when I was a kid. Bought some here awhile back just to be a doing and paid almost 8 dollars. I can live without it.

For those who want to quit I'd suggest trying the herbal chew as I mentioned in a previous post. It might work for you. Whole lot cheaper too not counting the health cost. ;)

17-Jul-16
Guys can marry guys, anyone can use any rest room just depends on if their a man or a women that day, people get mad at LEO's and murder them, President candidates can lie, mislead people, illegal immigrants can burn the American flag...no problem. But let a guy say he dip's tobacco and people go into shock, want to run him out of the country, hang him , they just can't believe some one would do such a thing.....lol every time, every year !!

17-Jul-16
"Have never known anyone who developed cancer"

Lou:

Yes you have....look at my post above. :)

17-Jul-16
"...yet multiple people die running during most marathon races."

LOL!!!

17-Jul-16
Yellow teeth, teeth missing, wife doesn't want to kiss you and rotten breath. My brother smoked for many many years and now he has false teeth. I think that the deer smelling you should be the least of your worries.

17-Jul-16
I've dipped off and on for 30 years. Mostly on. I have NEVER had a cavity. Not one. I contribute that to a couple things. One is that I brush my teeth. Two being I don't eat or drink much sugar and absolutely ZERO soda. And, third being the abrasion of tobacco against your teeth actually cleaning them. I've had more than one dentist tell me that to verify my thoughts.

I'm not defending it. I have been pondering getting off the wagon for a while. Who knows, maybe forever. Just saying that yellow teeth are a result of poor hygiene or, caused by something other than the tobacco.

God Bless men

17-Jul-16
so I have a funny story for you...

I am an avid bird hunter and I have a couple very nice bird dogs. I am a member, and train my dogs with a versatile hunting dog club (not to be mentioned).

One day while training with a newer member (name not to be mentioned), with a very nice dog, and very expensive shotgun, he noticed I was dipping Copenhagen.... He requested a pinch and proceeded to take a three finger dip that would rival any veteran dipper:)

As we worked our dogs together and talked more and more, the topic of work came up.... I told him what I did for a living and he in kind told me what he did for a living... WAIT FOR IT......

He was a dentist:/ He proceeded to inform me that he was a closet dipper, and had been for many years:)

He also informed me that if I as so much as hinted to his "Affliction" That he would shoot me in the Arse with that very fine and expensive shotgun. hence no names mentioned:)

Scar.

17-Jul-16
A West Virginian without missing teeth,,, now that's gotta be a first...8^)))

Sorry WV Mountaineer, couldn't help myself....8^)

17-Jul-16
It's ok Zbone. We are used to the derogatory comments from the useless nuts across the line. :^)

17-Jul-16
I quit dipping in 1978 - Redman Beechnut Skoal Coapenhagen

18-Jul-16
Started toning it down. Dip more during work than when I'm in the woods. But I usually pack a lip when I get back to my car or camp. Copenhagen natural has been my go to for the last couple years. Doesn't stick in your teeth as much as the small cuts and doesn't grind your gums as much. Just got a roll of southern blend from Texas (we don't have it in nm) tastes a lot like red man and sweet tea, not as sweet as Copenhagen straight, but sweeter than original. It'll last me a pretty long time since I've toned it down to about a can a week. I figure when I run out or get tired of southern blend I'll just quit. My worst habit by far.... It's just so damn good.

18-Jul-16
I'm in the same camp as Lou. I buy a can, chew small dips from it, then throw the rest away on the trip home.

It is nasty stuff, but I really enjoy the taste of it. Shit, I gave up chewing because it was bad for me and took up ultra running. Now, I've found out that is bad for me too. WTF is a guy to do?

18-Jul-16
Is a bear Catholic?

I'm trying to tone it down. But I enjoy it SO much. . .

I need to quit some day. Hunting is the hardest part for me. As I really enjoy a chew while in a tree, or glassing for elk, or anything where I'm stationary.

I can't chew while I'm huffing and puffing up a mountain. But when I've regained my breath, and had some water, it's awful nice after the climb

I also have to make sure it's in the left side of my mouth when bowhunting. As it affects my anchor if it's in the right side

18-Jul-16
I'd rather gnaw on a tree limb

18-Jul-16
I started dipping Copenhagen at about 13 or 14, worked with the men on the farm and pretty much just picked it up from them. In later life I was one of those Lou talked about that fell asleep or went to bed forgetting I had one in. Spite bottles? Rarely needed one.

Quit when I was about 38 or so? Just a decision I made for several reasons. I've never smoked, lucky I guess I coughed up a lung the first time I ever tried to smoke a cigarette. Only got a little dizzy with the snuff.

I knew a dentist who dipped as well. =D

I sure like a GOOD cigar now and then though.... so I guess I didn't quit for health reasons. (but ya don't inhale cigars) funny, I can go a week or two without one, not any problem. Normally one lasts me most of a week. But I sure do enjoy the contemplation time with one. They just bring a calm and slow down the pace some....

18-Jul-16
Cope is nasty, smells like schnidt, tastes worse...chicks do NOT dig it. I chew a can and a half a day, first thing when I wake up...last thing before I crash. I can eat an entire meal with a dip in, can sleep, can solve Pythagorean's theorem...but I can't quit you girl.

So Ike, what's your take on Chantix or other? I've stopped as many times as I've started in the last 30yrs...it's got a stranglehold.

To the OP, it won't spook deer...in fact they are drawn to it because it's "foreign". If you don't believe me take a stick and spit a big glob on the end...put that in front of a trail cam and watch the magic.

18-Jul-16

KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
Thats funny Kyle.....

19-Jul-16
Sito.... Chantix works. I was probably worse than you... Chewed Copenhagen snuff probably 20 hours a day. Fell asleep with it in a lot of nights. Wake up spit it out, wake up a few hours later brush teeth, start all over. My girlfriend loved it.

25 + years. One can a day wasnt cutting it.

I was unable to quit on my own. Dozens of attempts. Even after watching my dad die of cancer, still couldn't beat it.

Took chantix for a couple weeks, threw it out and haven't had any since. Quit in January.

They recommend taking chantix for 3 months. I had to quit after a month because it gave me freaky dreams and affected my mood big time, but it worked.

If you are serious about quitting I suggest you give it a try.

I read a study that said nicotine is more addictive than crack or heroine. Cancer is an incredibly shitty way to die.

I suggest you all quit.

19-Jul-16
I'm in the middle of quitting now. The first three days were the worst, getting better as time goes on. Have a plan...get some sunflower seeds to replace the routine of spitting and get some nicotine gum. Not Nicorette, that stuff is like chewing flavored cardboard...try Zonic. Tastes like a$$ still but better than Nicorette.

19-Jul-16
I find the hardest part of quitting for me is when I go to a gas station and see all the lovely tobacco. I'll just buy a pack of gum if I'm on a "quitting" cycle. Didn't bring a can to work today and don't really have a craving at all. Well now that I'm thinking about it.... ;)

19-Jul-16
I quit chewing the loose bagged stuff 18 years ago. Nasty habit, as folks used to tell me back then. Compared to quitting smoking, which I did 38 years ago, it was easy. If I could of only smoked 2 cigs a day or chewed a bag a week I might of never quit. But the nicotine monkey on my back demanded far more than that.

I used to chew in my stands and can't say it ever scared a deer away, at least not that I'm aware of. Wouldn't have chewed in the stand, but the monkey made me do it.

20-Jul-16
yes

20-Jul-16
I was a Copenhagen junkie for years but,thankfully after a few false starts, I was able to quit cold turkey about 20 years ago. I used to spit the stuff all around my stand while hunting and didn't notice any additional effect on the deer. I killed lots within 5-20 yds that didn't seem to have any problem with it. I now find the stuff nasty and absolutely despise seeing a "spit cup" sitting around. I would suggest being careful with Chantix. In my opinion, it does help people get of the tobacco products, but some folks get a little bonkers on it.

20-Jul-16
I don't imagine an elk that's never smelled an apple would flee in fear of produce. It humors me every year, guiding deer hunters, when someone pisses in a bottle or buries excrement to keep the animals from smelling. Animals can't discern whether it's squirrel or human even though they could smell the difference. They would have to be exposed many times to associate dip with humans.

20-Jul-16
I quit smoking 36 years ago and never felt better. Mouth and throat cancer is very aggressive. A good friend died from it, and my oldest son is a survivor, after 9 hrs of surgery, it simply is not worth it. If you up wind, they can smell you regardless. Live to hunt again.

21-Jul-16
Yes, I do...Copenhagen, can't live without one while hunting.

21-Jul-16
Short answer: Yes, for well over 50 yeaers and approximately 400-deer killed. Never one negative experience.

22-Jan-23
I am 26 years old and switched from smoking to using dip as I believed it would be a healthier alternative. I am not addicted to it, but it does give me a satisfying feeling. However, I was concerned that it might negatively impact my deer hunting experiences if the deer are able to smell it. When I asked one of my friends can deer smell dip, his answer shocked me. He told me that yes, deer are able to smell dip but they actually don't mind it's smell. They even may be attracted to it.

22-Jan-23
I’m 75 and started chewing tobacco in grade school. Not every day mind you but off and on. Started dipping in my twenties and up until I had covid went through a can every couple days. When I had covid everyhing tasted like dog crap smells so I quit. Stayed snuff free for two years. I started back a few months ago but limit myself to 3/4 dips a day. Can I do without it…..yes, but what’s the point ? There’s very few pleasures left in my life, so I’ll take it where I can get it.

22-Jan-23
If they can smell your dip they can smell you. I’ve had skoal dip in with almost every deer I’ve ever killed.

Play the wind.

22-Jan-23
KSF. “ I’ve had a dip in almost every deer I’ve ever killed.”

This just sounds a bit ….. umm …. not right

22-Jan-23
Lol. Yeah that was a bit weird. Corrected. Thanks.

22-Jan-23
Leave to a Rod to misquote with a "dip" in his mouth

22-Jan-23
I echo what was said before on if they smell your chew they smell you.

Yes I chew Copenhagen and have a chew in my mouth when I hunt.

22-Jan-23
Up until this year I always had a dip in while hunting scouting etc. Pretty much all day everyday. I was close to a tin a day. Grizz straight then went to wintergreen. Chewed since the day i hit high school. Quit just before I turned 30 this year the day my second niece was born. I got 3 kids and my brother has 2. I wanna be around with them so we both quit together. 14-15 years for me 10 for him. He’s using black buffalo (nicotine but no tobacco) and I just sent it and quit cold Turkey.

22-Jan-23
I have no bad habits whatsoever. Well, one little one, I lie a little.

22-Jan-23
I use to dip Copenhagen until it went up thanks to the trial lawyers..now I dip Red Seal. Been spittin tobacco while hunting for close to 50 years. As far as I know I've never seen where it effected my hunt. I've had deer walk right where I spit and no reaction.

22-Jan-23
I used to chew/dip just about every waking moment. I was at a can a day, sometimes more.

I never saw any adverse effects on deer from my snuff or spit when I was hunting.

Like MA-PAdeerslayer I quit cold turkey 2 1/2 years ago after chewing for about 35 years. Saved a lot of money and food tastes better as well as improving my sense of smell.

22-Jan-23
When I quit drinking I went cold turkey..hadn't been that way with Dippin. I do drink occasionally, every blue moon

23-Jan-23
I chewed for 14 years gave it up 18 years ago. Glad I did, for those that are trying to quit, keep trying, for those that have kicked the habit, don't ever go back, for those that don't want to quit, to each their own but for your sake and your families sake I hope you quit before it's too late.

23-Jan-23
Dipped Copenhagen for 40 years. I was up to 10 cans a week. $32K in mouth reconstruction from Cope and no insurance was enough to make me quit. Nasty habit but after being off of it for years I still miss a good dip when sitting in a stand.

23-Jan-23
With tobacco, alcohol, etc, there are always people who say it will kill everyone that uses it. Yes, it is not good stuff, but it's not going to kill everyone that uses it. The doctor will tell you chewing is the better alternative than smoking. I used to smoke, started chewing now, about a tin a week. A buddy of mine that chewed cope his whole life had throat cancer. He thought it was from chewing. Doc said no, HPV virus. Smoking? now that is bad. Anyway, yes I do chew on stand and while hunting. I carry a bottle when I think of it.

23-Jan-23
Copenhagen is wonderful stuff…. I have been missing it every day for 15 years. I chewed while hunting and killed many a critter. Like most realize that’s not a danger smell so… chew away brother.

23-Jan-23
Whoever thought oral sex would be as dangerous as chewing tobacco? That thing should come with a warning label.

I tried to get hooked when I was 17, because my friends all dipped. Plus, I thought the faded back pocket ring was really cool. It worked. Dipped Skoal for a few decades, on and off, and finally switched to nicotine gum to wean myself off. I was never a hearty dipper, only small pinch at a time.

It worked, but I still enjoy 1/3 of a piece now and then when I'm wired on a hunt or when fishing. I know an 88 year old retired brand inspector who has been chewing two cans a day for over 70 years. Top and bottom lip at the same time, sometimes sleeps with it in. He has some minor gum issues but otherwise no obvious ill effects. I know another guy who started dipping in his 20s and within a year developed mouth cancer. Had to have part of his jaw removed. You never know.

23-Jan-23
No

23-Jan-23
I played baseball when the NCAA still allowed it. Heck, my coach used to bum chews off me. I then dipped through grad school and into my early job career. Then I quit when I got married. Then I started again for about 4-5 years, then quit again. Now I just dip Cope during hunting season. Then I'm Cope-free the rest of the year. Typically go through 3-4 cans during hunting season.

23-Jan-23
I don’t like mouth cancers, so no I don’t and never have.

23-Jan-23
It’s totally grotesque and a significant health hazard that has zero redeeming qualities. Enjoy.

23-Jan-23
Many years ago my dad and I went elk hunting on a late archery season.At the time I smoked about 1and a half packs a day. First morning I realized I had forgotten cigarettes. Dad had a new tube of Copenhagen so I grabbed a can,thought no problem, it's nicotine. By the end of the day I had a huge sore under my lip. Broke down and drove to town for smokes. Flash forward to 2015,my doctor put me on Chantix for another try at quitting. Not only did it work but I had the most wonderful technicolor dreams ever. Even had to wake my wife up a couple of times. (teehee,wink)

23-Jan-23
And all who drink will die of alcoholism.

23-Jan-23
When I stopped smoking (quit cold turkey on a New Years Eve) I began dipping. I saw a photo of a man with lip/gum cancer resulting from dipping. That was all it took for me to quit. However, it was extremely difficult to quit, but I over came the urge for a dip.

I have no desire to ever put another dip in my mouth, but I still have an urge from time to time for a Marlboro, but I would never surrender to the urge. I have been tobacco free for over 40 yrs.

Dip is one of the best things you can put on an immediate insect bite.

23-Jan-23
This is an old school one coming back at us !!!

Quit chewing cope 2o something years ago cause it owned me. Nearly stopped by the spot I threw the can out for 10 years to look for it....

Only problem is it's been traded for beer cans since and alot of them. Nowadays it's glasses of wine, but who's counting. At least can say I haven't had a single dip of tobacco for 20 something years now. Miss it every day :)

Cheers, Pete

24-Jan-23
I smoked and dipped from 18 into my mid 30’s, but quit all nicotine use when my first child was born in 2010. Didn’t want them to see me doing it, and have been clean ever since.

24-Jan-23
I chew loose leaf tobacco. Never really noticed deer paying any mind to it until the time I tried a pack of peach flavored. Had a big doe get in close to the tree I was in and one good sniff and she flipped out.

Natural flavored tobacco perhaps not. Mint, wintergreen, peach, cherry etc in areas where those oders don't naturally occur I don't think deer will ignore it.

24-Jan-23
I smoked and dipped from 18 into my mid 30’s, but quit all nicotine use when my first child was born in 2010. Didn’t want them to see me doing it, and have been clean ever since.

24-Jan-23
Once upon a time. Never seemed to make a difference to deer getting close to my stand or while still hunting.

24-Jan-23
A can of Copenhagen once saved my brother's life. True story.

We were hunting antelope over waterholes. A doe came in so he nocked an arrow. He lost sight of the doe as it walked right up to the blind. After some time passed, he decided to peak out the window so he set his recurve down, arrow still nocked, and tip toed to the window for a look. The doe was bedded right under the window in the shade. He turned and stepped towards the seat...right onto the bowstring, which kicked up the arrow business end up. It stuck my brother right in the heart. Luckily, his Copenhagen can with the metal lid was in his breast pocket. The broadhead poked through enough to make a shallow cut on his chest. Had that can not been there I probably would have found him dead in the blind. (of course if she shot an expandable head he wouldn't have needed the can). Kidding kidding. Anyway, that can of Cope is now his the fireplace mantle. Its the only instance I know of that chew was actually on the healthy end of a story. Myself, I quit when I had kids and will never go back.

24-Jan-23
I on the other hand have had deer come unglued at the smell of my spit or tobacco on the ground.

24-Jan-23
I quit October 2nd of 2022 , only killed 1 deer in 2022 with bow. I've killed over 100 whitetails with a recurve and dipping copenhagen in the past.

24-Jan-23
To all you guys that chew....your breath stinks and the Mt. Dew bottle full of spit makes me want to puke. I have my vices but dipping ain't one of them. Enjoy!

24-Jan-23
I’m glad you approve Nick!!!!! :^)

24-Jan-23
lol...sorry, that came off a bit snobbish. I have friends that chew but it's gross.

25-Jan-23
I was a lifelong smoker, started as a teenager and a heart attack at age 49 put an end to that. After 4 years my weight had slowly crept up , so I took up this habit. Not good I know, I spend 10 hours a day in a truck and was just eating out of boredom. One bag of this lasts 1-2 days. In my defense I occasionally I get a pinch of my buddies Copenhagen and my head starts spinning.

25-Jan-23

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo

25-Jan-23
My grampa chewed "Elephant Butts" brand back in the day. I had a friend in the 80's chewed Copenhagen, he had so much chew when he ate his sandwich a ring of chaw was on the rest of his bite... he died of mouth cancer.

25-Jan-23
I chewed for many years, 18 or more, a tin a week. Then for the next 10ish, on and off. Now nothing, don't miss it either.

I have a buddy that chews, spits on stand, while on stand too. Says, "It don't bother them.". I agree, it doesn't bother the 1.5 yr old buck, maybe a 2.5 yr old, but what about the older bucks, or older does, what about them? What happens when your not in stand and they smell the chew at the base of your stand, or on your walking trail in and out of your stand? Me, I'm just not willing to risk it anymore. BC

• Sitka Gear