Contributors to this thread:
Thornton 25-Jul-16
Thornton 26-Jul-16
Thornton 26-Jul-16
Scar Finga 26-Jul-16
Thornton 26-Jul-16
Scar Finga 27-Jul-16
25-Jul-16
Just curious if anyone on here has hunted The San Carlos Apache Reservation in Arizona? What can I expect?

26-Jul-16
Javelina in unit B possibly.

26-Jul-16

26-Jul-16
I have hunted up there for years... I live about 1.5 hours from there... Some great areas and definitely a piggy rich environment:) East of San Carlos proper, Get up high and glass... At certain times of the year water is plentiful because of the river and the lakes and water tanks. Buy the map! be aware of where you are at, Unit D requires a Guide! Make sure you have all your permits in order and you will be fine. If you want a few areas to look at PM me and I will pull out my map, but you will need one as well. If it rains a lot, you will definitely need 4 wheel drive to get back away from the main roads. I wont camp near the lakes, I like to be well back off the main roads. Way less traffic. PM me with any questions.

Oh Yeah, in wetter years the quail hunting can also be fantastic compared to other areas in the middle of the state... I have shot all three species in one day up there (Gambles, Mearns and Scaled) and seen coveys of 20-40 quail.

Scar.

26-Jul-16
I have 10x binocs and 30x spotting scope Maverick. I'll be going with my brother-in-law again and he is a family guy that drives a car and a mini van and he only gets to hunt a few days a year. That being said, he does not scout and when I show up, we throw everything in the van and go. Last year, we hunted some very public land nearly in the city limits of Oro Valley and we actually did get on some pigs at sunset. Will I be able to hunt the San Carlos in a minivan or car?

27-Jul-16
Thornton,

Yes sir, you can do it, you may just have limited access to the upper area of the unit IF IT RAINS A Lot:) most of the roads are very drivable, I see cars in there all the time.

Good luck!

Scar.

• Sitka Gear