APauls 08-Aug-16
ELKMAN 08-Aug-16
Mr.C 08-Aug-16
Bear Track 08-Aug-16
Tao 09-Aug-16
rattling_junkie 09-Aug-16
ELKMAN 11-Aug-16
05-Aug-16
May have a moose hunt coming up this fall and was just wondering from those that hunt moose regularly - do they have many different vocalizations?

From what you hear it basically sounds like a bull grunt and a couple different cow sounds, but this may just be me and an undiscerning ear. To the undiscerning ear elk probably have a bugle and a couple cow sounds but really there are like 30 different vocalizations or whatever. Just curious if people know if it is similar with swamp donkeys?

05-Aug-16
I live with Shiras moose and while they do have a few vocalizations (cow bawl, bull huff, bull grunt) they aren't nearly as vocal as elk, and I rarely hear anything outside of the pre-rut and rut.

Cows do tend to huff and puff and breathe heavily when they're chasing me, though.

:-0

05-Aug-16
Do you sell a commercial Jaquomo scent? Thinking if i can bring in the cows, the bulls should follow...

05-Aug-16
Have a place in Wasilla, AK. Few apple trees and one night an old cow was tearing into one. Took my wrist rocket with a big ball bearing and hit her between the eyes. MOOSE ROAR! You could see where I'd slipped and clawed the snow. Good thing was she only came about 20 feet and stopped. I wasn't looking back.

05-Aug-16
Are you sure it was the COWS huffing & puffing, Lou??!!

Adam,.....Lots of good video clips on youtube for references. I'm hoping to put a few of them to good use this fall in Alaska.

Good luck to you if you do go this fall as well!

06-Aug-16
Larry, my game warden friend here in CO said that's exactly why they quit trying to zap them with a taser. As soon as the tase shuts off, the moose jump up and charge them.

06-Aug-16
In my experience, there are around four calls that you should know and be able to make, but moose make many more vocalizations than that, some I have no idea how a human could replicate. They make many very quiet grunts and moans as well. Have lots of fun.

06-Aug-16
I have called in a few shiras moose in....using cow calls and bulls grunts

photo 171_moose2.jpg

08-Aug-16
Live in Manitoba, hunt would be Northern Manitoba.

08-Aug-16
What is the Latitude issue?

08-Aug-16
why you would have to taz a moose is beyond me! law man or not that just stupid...id charge your ___ too

IMO they talk alot to each other like all creatures do, but hunters are usally in the woods on the chase during the louder season! look up Alex Guthro`s moose videos it sure helped me ..best of luck on your hunt MikeC

08-Aug-16
They don't say much Adam. Pretty much anything you'd hear on a few youtube videos is all they have to say. I did call one to 6 feet from me once with a slight pinch of my nose and a gentle "naaaa". I had one at 3 feet but I quit talking to it about that time.

09-Aug-16
I have between 40-50 different cow calls.....?..all calls or grunts that I have heard cows doing. ...

09-Aug-16
From my experience keep it simple, and if you can call on a sand beach. They love to go in the water and try to circle downwind.

11-Aug-16
You should ask Elknut. If he can get Elk to tell him what they are saying, he should have no issue rounding up a stool pigeon Moose... ;-)

• Sitka Gear