Mathews Inc.
Colorado S33 Tag Reissue - What to do???
Wild Sheep
Contributors to this thread:
Vids 22-Aug-16
Quinn @work 22-Aug-16
Straight Shooter 22-Aug-16
RogBow 22-Aug-16
sticksender 23-Aug-16
BULELK1 23-Aug-16
cnelk 23-Aug-16
Vids 23-Aug-16
cnelk 23-Aug-16
Vids 23-Aug-16
cnelk 23-Aug-16
Vids 23-Aug-16
Treeline 23-Aug-16
Vids 23-Aug-16
cnelk 23-Aug-16
CO Oak 23-Aug-16
Vids 23-Aug-16
hunt'n addict 24-Aug-16
Vids 24-Aug-16
FullofBull 26-Aug-16
Vids 26-Aug-16
22-Aug-16
I just received an email that I'm next in line for a ewe tag, in S33. I had applied for it as a second choice and the tag holder turned it in.

The catch is that I was told I'd have to forfeit my preference points to take the tag, even though it would be "treated as a second choice" according to the email. Does that even make sense? I am going to confirm what he meant by that.

My gut feeling is that if I have to burn my points (3+9) I am going to turn it down, but if I keep my points I gotta go for it.

All opinions on what to do, and thoughts on the unit are welcome!

Thanks Vids

22-Aug-16
Easy decision here. No points take tag. All points taken, don't take tag. Hopefully it's no points with tag. Good luck.

22-Aug-16
Vids,

That doesn't seem correct, but if it is I'm with you. I wouldn't burn my points if you had listed as a second choice.

Good luck.

DJ

22-Aug-16
Shouldn't require any points.

23-Aug-16
Since all the tags originally went to 1st choice applicants, maybe that's the way they do it. Still, seems like if you applied 2nd choice, and are next in line, no points should be used.

23-Aug-16
+1 sticksender

Good luck, Robb

23-Aug-16
Is this a rifle tag?

23-Aug-16
Yes, cnelk it is. SFS33O1R is the code.

23-Aug-16
Gotcha.

So there were 2 tags issued. You were one of 7 - 2nd choice applicants.

I believe that Sheep/Goat/Moose are exempt from the typical 2nd Choice - no PPs rule.

Someone will take it if you dont, but I dont think I would use all those PPs on a 2nd choice ewe tag. Maybe someone with less points will be interested.

23-Aug-16
cnelk - Is there another rule I'm not aware of? (not sure what you mean by "the typical 2nd Choice - no PPs rule") Rule #4 seems pretty clear to me that it shouldn't require me to burn points, unless there is some unwritten rule about reissued tags that I'm not aware of.

Here is the language from the sheep/goat brochure:

PREFERENCE POINTS 1. One preference point is awarded to those who apply properly and are unsuccessful in drawing a license for a first-choice hunt code. Priority goes to whoever has the most points. Hunters who make an application error, including on first choice hunt codes, do not get a point. 2. If you are issued a first-choice license, all accumulated preference points for that species are void and return to zero. 3. If you fail to apply for OR have not purchased a license for a certain species during a 10-year period, all accumulated points for that species are erased from your record and become void. 4. Second-, third- and fourth-choice hunts don’t use or generate points.

23-Aug-16
IMO - Rule #4 doesnt apply to the hunt you described above.

This is a 1st Choice Hunt, that went to the 2nd choice applicants. Thats different than a 2nd choice hunt where the allotted tags are more than the 1st choice applicants.

I hope you get the hunt with 0 PPs, but Im not thinking you will

23-Aug-16
Game on. Just heard back and I don't have to burn points.

This just turned my September upside down, now it's time to prepare!!!

If anyone has knowledge of S33 I would appreciate any info you can share. (It straddles the border between GMUs 66 and 76)

23-Aug-16
Way to go! Good luck!!

Have no knowledge of that country down there at all other than driving thru and fishing. Lots of above tree line country to look over, though. You might contact the biologist for that area, though.

23-Aug-16
Thanks! Yeah, I will contact the biologist for sure.

I figure there are a lot of guys on here that have hunted 76 for elk, so there may be some good info available.

23-Aug-16
Glad it all worked out for the best!

Now we all know how it works

23-Aug-16
Vids, that hunt code you posted is only good for the north part of S33. It is only valid in a portion of unit 66.

23-Aug-16
Whoops, you are correct! Thanks for pointing that out. Lots of chaos for me today, trying to figure out how I'm going to pull this off! :)

24-Aug-16
Congratulations Vids. I'm glad it worked out and you got the tag and keep your points. I received a notice. Except it was 2 weeks before you for S7,3 but I live 1200 miles away. Good luck with the tag. I look forward to hearing how your hunt turns out.

24-Aug-16
Thanks for all the well wishes guys, I'm going in blind but hopefully I can post some pictures of a successful hunt in a few weeks!

26-Aug-16
I used to guide for elk down there. We would see lots of sheep above timberline on Sunshine Peak.

26-Aug-16
Thanks FullofBull. That seems to be what my research is showing me, I was planning to start near Sunshine. I appreciate the help.

• Sitka Gear