Florida Mike 26-Aug-16
Shrewski 26-Aug-16
Glunt@work 26-Aug-16
huntinelk 26-Aug-16
Ziek 26-Aug-16
Shrewski 26-Aug-16
t-roy 26-Aug-16
26-Aug-16
I will be hunting goats on Kodiak in mid October. I am wondering if it would be worth staying in Kodiak for a couple days after the goat hunt and hunting for deer on the road system diy with a rental car? Does anybody have any experience, advice or information that you would want to share about this? I realize it won't be the best place to hunt , but I would already be there and expenses would be minimal. Would bears be a concern in this area at this time of the year?

Thanks,

Gene

26-Aug-16
It's been a few years since I've been there, but, as I recall, the road system is very limited and doesn't access what I would consider good deer territory. There is a reason people pay to be dropped off by aircraft or boat.

26-Aug-16
Not much for roads and the locals hit those areas pretty hard. You might have better luck on deer in the same area you are goat hunting - just a little lower. Fishing might be worth some time around Kodiak. Should be some silvers in at that time. Take an 8wt and some big purple flies...

26-Aug-16
I would agree with treeline- though I haven't hunted the road system- only flown over headed to the other side of the island.

Not much in the way of roads.......but I bet if you got out of your vehicle and walked a ways you could get into deer- those locals mostly just road hunt it from what I'm told.

26-Aug-16
From what I have heard you would be better to have a boat drop you off and pick you up to hunt deer that late in the year. I'll be hunting the first week of Oct on south end. If I kill out early I'm gonna chase deer also. Mike

26-Aug-16
I drove the entire road system two Saturday's ago.

Rentals cars there don't work like they do here...they are expensive, you are limited where you go, and you have a LOT more liability for any damage. I rent a lot of cars and I've never had an experience like that. If you don't have a reservation with Thrifty or Avis, you may be out of luck.

The road system is interesting. It is fairly crowded. I never saw a deer. I saw more surfers than fishermen. All and all it was better than sitting in a hotel room but it did not make me want to hunt deer.

I'd deer hunt where you were goat hunting. I had plenty of goats where I was deer hunting. And when the goats come down to eat grass on the flat, the deer move out. It was comical.

26-Aug-16
I don't know about hunting the road system but my first trip there in the 90's we couldn't get out to our spot due to weather. We had a charter boat guy with a small Boston Whaler run us around some weather protected spots we could access from boat ramps on the road system. I don't remember where all the spots were but I do know we were around Raspberry Island/ Wjale Pass some days. Deer hunting was ok, duck hunting was great.

26-Aug-16
Thanks for the info. I guess I won't worry about scheduling any extra days on the end of my goat hunt.

Thanks again

26-Aug-16
No one answered your bear question. Don't know if they are a 'concern', but they can be anywhere, including in and around town.

26-Aug-16
I did not see the bear question. But yes they are a concern at all times. I though being up high at the beginning of August I would see no bears as they would be down low on the salmon streams. The bears did not get the memo...

They were down on the salmon streams, BUT sows with Cubs would come up to relax and play getting away from the more aggressive bears and the boars just take the shortest path between two streams they want to check out; they don't care about climbing a mountain or two.

26-Aug-16
Is your outfitter open to adding on some deer hunting? I would think your outfitter could answer your questions for you.

• Sitka Gear