Gene 28-Aug-16
Brun 28-Aug-16
glidingindian 28-Aug-16
APauls 29-Aug-16
grasshopper 29-Aug-16
rgb 29-Aug-16
RIT 29-Aug-16
26-Aug-16
Just saw a post on facebook re a 226", typical mule deer, killed. Great animal and probably a great stalk and shot. However, in the cutline, it was stated, "...he smoked the huge beast..." or something to that effect. That was when I quit reading.

Just for giggles, here are some words tha can be eliminated from outdoor stories: Actually, smoked, rolled, dirt nap, he goes, I mean, really, very, beast, leviathan, monster...and about 200 more.

Just my opinion.

26-Aug-16
Don't forget "booya" and "meat missile".

26-Aug-16
"Give me a Minute"....

26-Aug-16
Anything "for what seemed like an eternity". Please.

26-Aug-16
Or "This hunt actually started at my mail box"...

26-Aug-16
Smack down, hit list, naming the freak daddys.

26-Aug-16
What state?

26-Aug-16
Turns me off when people talk this way, and I tend to tune them out, or not continue watching or reading. Unfortunately, there are well respected hunting "celebrities" that continue to do these things. And although they could be influencing positively to the general public these comments become negative aspect and can turn the general public against hunting.

26-Aug-16
Who here does nothing other than maybe a hand shake with a hunting partner, express a gratified smile or a simple thanks? Wonder if I am in the minority.

26-Aug-16

All these videos, when I watch (rarely), make me think of Ricky Bobby in "Talladega Nights" giving his first interview. . .

"I'm not sure what to do with my hands."

"The car. . .the car ran real good."

:) :)

26-Aug-16
YZ-You are not as far as I am concerned. I think you'll like my Sept. 14, column.

26-Aug-16
I'm with you YZ.

A funny anecdote related to this topic. I had my wife and daughter out rifle hunting one very snowy and frosty morning. The wife had a rifle tag she was trying to fill. A beautiful buck gave her an opportunity. He had a decent amount of frost and a little snow on his coat. She made a great shot on him and as the bullet impacted the frost and snow puffed off of him like smoke. My daughter who was maybe 11 at that time says matter of factly, "Wow mom, you literally smoked him." I think her mother and I had tears in our eyes we were all laughing so hard since we joke around about these sayings all the time when we hear them on hunting TV.

26-Aug-16
I will admit that when I made a great shot on a 218 mule deer with a longbow at 12 yards, I paged my hunting partner on the radio and exclaimed "Holy Catfish!" a couple times. Not sure where it came from because that phrase isn't part of my vocabulary, and I've never used it before or since..

26-Aug-16
Lou, That's a spinoff from the "holy mackerel" phrase, commonly used in the 80's. "Holy catfish" is now used by X-Gen inner city kids. I woulda thought that you knew that. Ed F

26-Aug-16

Genuine emotion no matter what it looks like is honorable IMO.

26-Aug-16
Jaquomo: The Southern equivalent to your heavenly piscatorial pursuit is "Great Googly Moogly"... :)

26-Aug-16
No Seminole Southern equivalent Daiyem!

26-Aug-16
I hate "sag-daddy" and "swamp donkey" as well. I also get a kick out of the ones that have the hunter posed out on the point of a rock somewhere holding his bow and looking pensive while the camera pans around them and the wildlife flees from below because they sky lined themselves.

One thing I appreciate about the Western Hunter show is that it seems to, for the most part, portray it like it is without a lot of whooping, hollering and ridiculous drama.

26-Aug-16
Go, John, go.....

In none hunting, "reach out,"..instead of "contact."

I've smoked a lot of deer, but long after they were dead...and most have been damned delicious, too

26-Aug-16
Get Excited. Its ok to celebrate. The day I fail to get overjoyed is the day I would probably quit hunting. I don't use all of those terms, like smacked him, swamp donkey, etc. but don't let anyone tell you how to celebrate. Just have fun.

27-Aug-16
Now we have the PC machine going on here? I don't like all of those terms but have used some of them from time to time. Just not on TV! Get over it! Just go hunt have fun and quit worrying about someone else!

27-Aug-16
It really is sad and a disgrace these celebrity killers have no respect for these majestic creatures... Chalk it up to the society with live now days...

27-Aug-16
Wait... We're not aloud to get excited when we fill a tag now? The afternoon I shot my biggest buck to date I went full-on Stan Potts. Didn't know getting pumped up was a bad thing.

27-Aug-16
the jokes on all of you. from a advertising standpoint, when you hear each one of their favorite saying, you know exactly who it is. and that's all their after. "brand recognition"

27-Aug-16
"I seen"

27-Aug-16
+1 midwest! "I seen" and "we don't got no" makes me crazy. Makes me wonder if they dropped out of skool in first grade to become "professional hunters".

27-Aug-16
I forgot to tuck in my shirt once..... ok, I never tuck in my shirt......

Normally I don't say anything creative at the shot.... too much anxiety.... nor much on recovery.... too much pure relief... but I can get pretty colorful on a miss or a blown stalk etc. Can turn the air blue like would make a sailor blush.....

Have fun. If you get excited, get excited, it's OK. You're hunting for YOU, not anyone else. Or you can sit down and build a shrine if you want.... up to you. And you alone.

The day you start doing something for what some other hunter may think..... sucks the fun right out of it....if you are allowed to have fun that is....

27-Aug-16
My usual comments after the shot:

"Dammit!"

"Aww, sh!t!"

"Aww, f**k!"

"Are you kidding me?!"

"At least I didn't wound him."

"I'll just sit here until dark and back out quietly."

"When in doubt, back out."

"It's going to be a long night."

;-)

27-Aug-16
My response when I shoot a big buck usually has an F bomb in it. Frankly, I don't give a F if anyone likes it. I suppose since I'm not on camera, nobody will give a F anyhow. :)

27-Aug-16

KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
Bad spelling is worse then the wrong word!

27-Aug-16
So what about the deer? More info on it, was it typical? I myself normally text a buddy and say I just shot a nice one but if I kill a truly big one, I myself may whoop it up a bit ecsp. if I see them go down. If you do not get excited or emotional or feel something you should not be hunting. Shawn

27-Aug-16
Have fun. Say whatever you want. Life is short.

All I'm saying is that if you tell me that you "Slammed your meat missile into a pole smokin' swamp donkey and need a minute 'cause you don't know what to do with your hands, this is the biggest beast you ever poked, a freak daddy bound for the book..."

Well...I'll be happy for you. I might be giggling hard enough to swallow a diaphragm call, but I'll be happy for you.

I tend to prefer a form of interpretive dance for celebration. It kind of looks like a mild seizure.

27-Aug-16
couple with a great longarm photo than makes a 120" buck look 40" wide and 240" .... winner winner BBD baby !!

27-Aug-16
The social media age has ruined the English language.

28-Aug-16
Check A3 Outfitters. They have a big buck from the AZ Strip that could be the one the OP was referring to.

28-Aug-16
Actually I assumed AZ Strip but really have no idea where they got it.

28-Aug-16
HARVEST, I hate that term when someone takes (or kills) a deer!

28-Aug-16
+2 on "I seen" That drives me crazy.

28-Aug-16
A guy I met said he had a friend whose cousin seen that buck. Said it wuz a stud puppy whopper dog toad of a beast with mass out the wazoo. He hadn't never saw nothin like it. Dang good un.

I shake and babble like an idiot on the rare occasion I kill something. I dog cuss myself (see Midwest above ) when I make a bad shot I dance and squeal like a school girl when one of my boys or their friends tags out.

29-Aug-16
You must spend too much time watching TV.

Do you know what annoys me more? Coming on to bowsite and hearing people complain about the phrases people use on TV. Is there anything that could sound more whiny??

I don't have cable, don't watch TV, and don't have to deal with it. This possibility is available to everyone, and best yet - this option pays you money compared to your current situation. No I'm not selling you a bill of goods folks. It's real.

29-Aug-16
Grammar Nazi's? Whats that about? Really?

My grammar is awful, and at age 51 it is the last thing I ever want to improve.

Cool thing is grammar has nothing to do with being a success in life.

29-Aug-16
Or how about the phrase, "the buck (or whatever animal) gave me the shot opportunity?"

As if the animal consciously self-sacrificed, calling out to the hunter, "Hey Joe, how's this angle? Shoot now before I change my mind!"

29-Aug-16
Sure would be a shame if a hunter gets to describe THEIR hunt using the words THEY want instead of what someone else thinks they should say.

• Sitka Gear