bad karma 26-Jan-17
fenceman 01-Mar-17
mrfox16 02-Mar-17
mrfox16 04-Mar-17
RK 04-Mar-17
RK 06-Mar-17
INbowdude 06-Mar-17
03-Sep-16
As we begin our 17th season here at Shiloh Ranch, we thought we'd take the time to start a long-overdue thread of tips and suggestions for our guests. We see a lot of the same mistakes being made and while we do our best to try and cover them all during orientation, it's just not possible to remember them all. I'll try to come back and post as many as we can think of, as often as possible.

Before I post this first tip I think it's necessary to mention that the hog has a scenting ability purported to be seven times greater than that of a whitetail. You just aren't going to beat a hogs nose no matter how much scent free soap or shampoo you use! Hunting the wind is the most crucial thing you can do when choosing a stand location. Use the aerial maps we have posted in the kitchen building or guest house when choosing a stand. The maps show where the ground blind and the ladder stand is located at each location so you can hunt the proper wind. If you're sitting in a stand where the wind is blowing from you toward the feeder....you're not going to see pigs, period. No matter how many times we say this, there is always somebody who hunts stand number (#) because that's where they want to sit, despite the wind blowing right toward the feeder.

The next most common mistake we see is getting out in the stands too early. This is especially harmful in warm, calm weather or on warm days with cool nights. Hogs are nocturnal critters so prefer to move at night. By the use of feeders that feed twice a day, we have the hogs patterned to come into the feeders to increase your chance at a shot. If you go out to the stand and sit there for several hours before the feeder even goes off, all you're doing is contaminating that area with human scent while the hogs are still bedded; Then at prime time when the hogs start moving and coming to the feeders best, your butt is sore, you've polluted the area with scent and you get bored because you're not seeing any hogs. This happens every.single.week! Do yourself a favor and don't get out into the stands until a half hour to an hour before the feeders are set to go off. That last hour of daylight is the golden hour and you want to be in your stand and ready for a shot, not walking around to get the cramp out of your legs.

03-Sep-16
Question: Are we shown more than one site when we arrive. If so we can decide where to sit for the evening?

Also, if a hunter wants to spot and stalk a hog, is it allowed. I would assume you have a large track of land.

When we were in Oklahoma hog hunting in January past at another ranch, I was surprised at how spooky they were. Not as easy as I thought it would be. We did a S&S hunt. We did connect using bow.

Our next hog hunt will be with your ranch, we just have to work out our schedule and hope it fits into yours.

Thanks, Chris.

03-Sep-16
Chris- we have eight different stand locations that have feeders that run year 'round and a few other stands that do not have feeders. We do not assign stands, you all get to choose which stand you want to hunt for each sitting. You are allowed to spot and stalk if you have a group of six or more to book the ranch. Since it usually boogers up the hogs, we encourage your whole group to agree to it just so we won't have to referee any fights that might break out as the result :). We have over 90% success rate on shots from our stands. Spot and stalk is much much lower, and with a higher wounding rate.

06-Sep-16

Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
While we're on the subject of scent, let's talk about these products.

Hogs are very spooky animals, and don't like unusual odors or objects in their dining room. They're not curious about strange odors- they're spooked by them! When you come into their territory and start spreading jello all over the ground , you're basically insuring that you won't have any hogs come into your stand for the next day or two. Attractants may work after the hogs have had a chance to become acclimated to them, but when you're here on a two day hunt you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

The same goes for earth scent, acorn scent, hog estrus scent....we haven't found a single one yet that doesn't run the hogs off of the feeders the first time they smell it. That little black wafer may smell like earth somewhere else, but it sure doesn't smell like anything we have around here!

If you want to attract hogs, then use something they are used to- and here at Shiloh Ranch that's usually corn. Not "corn flavored" stuff, and not apple flavored corn...just corn....the kind we feed them every day. That's why we have little bags of corn here in case you want to buy some- because it's the best attractant you can use (unless the acorns are falling- but we'll address that later). Leave the funky smelling stuff at home cause it's sure not going to help you kill a hog here!

06-Sep-16
is it okay if I head out early and spread that stuff at the stand Inbowdude is hunting before he gets there?

07-Sep-16
LOL Kevin! Be careful....he just make get here before you do.

Pat- these are just a tiny sampling of stuff we've found in the trash here....along with several HECS suit packages. I really need to get to work on a patent for some kind of gimmick so we can retire . P.T. Barnum was right.

07-Sep-16
What are HECS suites/

07-Sep-16
It's clothing that is supposed to block your energy field so animals don't sense your presence. :)

07-Sep-16
My experience is that they snort at Hog Wild, too. Or at least they did at No. 4 when I tried it years ago.

09-Sep-16

The next suggestion we have is about decoy animals. It's not unusual for deer, squirrels or piglets to come into the corn before the bigger hogs. These animals are far less skittish and therefore will come rushing into the corn as so as they see/smell it. The worst thing you can do is try to run them off. Yes, it happens. We have people come back to camp almost every group and tell us that the deer were eating all their corn up, so they tried everything in their power to run them off. We've had folks tell us that they've waved their arms, thrown rocks and even made noises to try and spook them away.

This is the worst thing you can do if you want to shoot a hog! Not only do these animals make good decoys that will give the bigger hogs a sense of security, but they help attract hogs when they hear the crunching corn. Hogs often stage up in the woods out of sight, "testing the waters" so to speak, before they commit to coming in to the corn. The minute you move or make a sound, you've effectively shooed off any hogs that were in your area.

This is another reason we have small bags of corn here for you to take out to the stand. In the rare case another animal actually eats all the corn, you'll have some extra to throw out after they leave.

I know this sounds elementary, but this is another one of those things that happens almost every single week.

11-Sep-16
Bad Karma, I am one with the hog!

12-Sep-16
This is some great info. Thanks for sharing.

14-Sep-16
Do your hogs spook when you touch the corn you are throwing out? I had a nice boar spook when he got to the corn that was hand thrown by my friend.

14-Sep-16
FYI, those earth scent wafer dealios will send whitetails running. They are much more pungent then not taking a scent free shower IMO. Really, a mound of black dirt doesn't smell that strong.

Great info here, and that goes for hunting at any ranch or with any outfitter, listen to their suggestions/recommendations.

10-Oct-16

The next suggestion we offer is to know a little bit about your quarry before you arrive for your hunt. We provide as much information as possible in the information packet we mail you when you book a hunt with us, but I'll include some of that here.

First and foremost, we always like to talk about shot placement on hogs no matter how many times you've hunted them. A hogs vitals lie lower and further forward than other North American game animals. What would be a perfect double lung shot on and elk or deer would be a gutshot hog. The diagram above shows exactly where the heart and lungs lie as I did a cut down on a dead pig and then colored in the vitals so there is no guessing where the exact boundaries are. Also, hogs are much like humans in that if you injure one lung, the other lung will continue to function. What this means is that if you only hit one lung, the hog can keep on running on just one lung. We have killed many pigs with just one functioning lung.

Since the lungs lie so far forward, it's very difficult to get a double lung hit if you take quartering shots. I know there will be a dozen different people who want to come on here and argue because they killed a hog by taking a quartering shot. Yes, you can still get lucky by hitting the heart, aorta, femoral, carotid, etc. , but for the money shot, you want to wait until the animal is perfectly broadside and aim directly above the elbow and in the bottom one third of the chest. An inch behind the elbow is paunch and halfway up the chest is backstrap. We hear "but I got a pass-through" all the time. It's all about what your arrow passed through! A muscle hit bleeds profusely, but not enough to result in death.

10-Oct-16
Also on the subject of knowing your quarry, you should know what to expect the average sized specimen to be. In Oklahoma the Noble Foundation has studied the feral hog extensively, and they have found the average feral hog to be around 110 pounds for a sow and 130 pounds for a boar, and in our experience we find that to be true. If you see a hog that's about the size of a Rottweiler, it's a good one and you shouldn't pass it up. We have folks hunt with us time and time again that pass up trophy sized hogs in the hopes of shooting something that simply isn't out there. These are wild animals that make a living off bugs, nuts, roots and berries....they're not the genetically altered, protein-fed animals you see at the county fair.

One of the most common mistakes we see is when folks pass up hog after hog while waiting for that big one in the brush to come in. You just have to be willing to eat tag soup when you do that.

11-Oct-16
We have had good luck with Acorn Rage on hogs in Texas. It is ground up acorns and soybean meal and they seek it out on low mast years. Good advice for future hog hunters. Most have no clue how smart and wary they are.

13-Oct-16
"One of the most common mistakes we see is when folks pass up hog after hog while waiting for that big one in the brush to come in."

What? People wait and pass on broadside hogs? How long has this been going on? I just don't understand, but then again, I'm a weak man.

14-Oct-16
So true. A broadside shot should never be passed up! If its small that's what second hogs are about, or you can lie to everyone while claiming that you shot the smaller one on purpose because you are such a skilled archer.(I have done this before)

14-Oct-16
Unless they are the size of a football, they will really fool you and weigh more than you thought. Anything 75-125 lb. is REALLY good eating! Now, the real problem is getting them to stand still broadside without other hogs in front or behind them...

26-Jan-17
My biggest wild hog was 295 lbs on Matt's scale. I've killed several over 180. All have been magnificent table fare. My last one was 190, as I recall, and the backstrap I had for lunch today was gourmet fare.

01-Mar-17
What types of broadheads are allowed at Shiloh? Any other minimum equipment suggested?

02-Mar-17
Id like to see some more trail cam pictures

03-Mar-17
Fenceman- we don't have any broadhead restrictions. Not all broad heads are created equal however, so there are some that perform better than others on a thick hog hide. Cut-on-contact, fixed blade heads are top performers, and mechanicals with long blades perform the poorest. We recommend a minimum 45 pound bow. We go into more detail in the information packet we mail out to our guests prior to their hunt.

Mrfox16- we will post some more trail cam pics once we get our cameras back off the traps we're currently monitoring with them.

04-Mar-17
Sounds good keep catching them hogs we'll be there to kill them soo

04-Mar-17
17 years. Dang it seems like it was just yesterday that you guys started on this journey. Another 17 and you will be professionals..LOL ! Best to both of you !

RK

06-Mar-17
LOL Rob! In another 17 years we might be flopping fuzzy animals out of wooden boxes onto kids at hunting shows for entertainment. :)

Your stories sure have gotten a lot of mileage around our place. You still need to come up here and share a campfire sometime so we can repay the favor.

06-Mar-17
Matt and Cheryl...... I owe you a visit for sure. I probably can tell campfire stories to the clients to take some pressure off of you guys....... That is one of my favorites The fat kid was priceless...probably came within seconds of having my ass sued off if he would have stopped breathing.... Don't forget "why is that cat looking at me"

06-Mar-17
I'd like to hear some Rob stories too. Been a long time RK.

• Sitka Gear