Ollie 16-Sep-16
Firehuntfish 16-Sep-16
Pete In Fairbanks 17-Sep-16
geoffp 17-Sep-16
razorsharp 18-Sep-16
AZ~Rich 18-Sep-16
razorsharp 19-Sep-16
15-Sep-16
I think an African archery hunt is in my future. (2017) most likely.

What airline is the best for this trip? Straight flight, layovers?

I'm looking really hard at Licroma.

15-Sep-16
Delta has a directs flights to/from Atlanta to JNB - Flights 200 & 201. I highly recommend those flights. I hunted with Limcroma in 2012. They run a great hunt. Accommodations and food are excellent.

15-Sep-16
We flew with SA airlines and the airfare was included on our trip to hunt Licroma. great trip great place.

15-Sep-16
My wife and I just did RSA. But we did it differently. We played tourists at the end of the hunt in Capetown, and in London. So, our travel agent booked us British Airways through London on the way there and back.

We REALLY had a good experience with British Airways. Even got upgraded free of charge on the way back.

And I liked British, because they partner with American and a lot of other airlines for frequent flyer miles.

Since we live around Kansas City, we did have to connect to Dallas for the International flights. Which wasn't a big deal.

On the way over we flew from KC to Dallas, to London, To Jo'burg, to Port Elizabeth. And the way back we flew from Port Elizabeth to Capetown, to London, to Dallas, then KC.

I wanna say it cost us $2500 a piece for all of that airfare. Which I didn't think was too bad. . .

15-Sep-16
Ok, thank you guys! How about cost of trophy shipment?

15-Sep-16
Mine haven't shipped yet. But Dip and Pack was $1455 for 11 animals.

I think that will depend on what animal and what you do with them. I did 4 euros. The rest I kept capes and some backskins, and a full body mount for the caracal

15-Sep-16
We flew Delta from Atlanta non stop to Jo'burg in 2014 $1500 coach and $2,000 comfort seating. Comfort seating is worth it for a 16 1/2 hour flight. I had 7 animals shipped back to Georgia in a crate for $725 and I paid $1,025 to swift dip in RSA for treatment of my animals and back skins and that included crating.

15-Sep-16
Another vote for Delta direct flight to Joberg. Went last year and fare was right around $1900. Also hunted with. Limcroma and had an awesome hunt. You won't be disappointed with any facet of their outfit.

As far as trophy shipments, plan on some pretty decent coin being spent. I shipped home (1) warthog euro, (1) blue wildebeest euro, (3) Impala euros, (1) gemsbok skull and cape and (1) kudu skull and cape and it came to $1800 for the dip pack and crate. Another $700 for a broker to clear it with customs and ship to my taxidermist.

15-Sep-16
Does Licroma book airfare inclusive with there hunts? Were trophies shipped direct to your house or did they go to broker?

15-Sep-16
Delta vote here as well. Prices vary depending on when you buy them (ie how far out you purchase them) and when they are actually for. When I went this past May/June, I got my tickets the end of January and they were $1950 (Dallas to Atlanta to Joberg to Kimberly). The Kimberly portion of the flight was thru South Africa Airways and added $120 I believe.

My trip a couple weeks ago (last week of August), they were $1600. I looked a couple days be for I left out to see about my seating and noticed several spots opened so I checked to see how much tickets were then. They were just under $1400....

15-Sep-16
I always fly Delta from ATL-JNB and have done it 7 times.

15-Sep-16
+1 Chief 419 on Delta flights. You just can't beat the convenience of the flight & connections. Just remember overtime you have a layover and changing airlines you increase your risk of losing you baggage.

No comment on Limcroma- Never hunted with them, but know they carry a very good reputation. Would be one of my top pick if hunting South Africa.

15-Sep-16
If you can go on miles there are some really good deals out there. We flew Emirates last spring for 90k miles round trip...sounds like a lot but not bad considering how far you are going. I've also done the SAA flight from Dulles and Delta from ATL a couple times each. Either way it's a means to an end and a really long flight that blows no matter what.

If you can swing miles on Emirates you will see they blow Delta away in service, food, entertainment, etc. They also have some pretty good deals to Joberg.

Have a great trip!

15-Sep-16
Ok so this brings up more questions... What time of year is best?

15-Sep-16
IMHO...

I like a little warmer weather...personally...so I like to go in May or late August/September. Waterhole hunting should be great in August/September because it's been dry for a few months. Conversely...May can be nice because it's hot but if there are any late rains that kinda screws you because there is water in the bush. Take moon phases into account...and that equals...book when your safari company thinks it's the best time for you to go! haha...

But seriously...no time is really better than another, rain and moon phases not withstanding. You will have a good time no matter what. Airline prices will be higher during the "high" season...usually May 1st (ish) through Sept 1st (ish).

15-Sep-16
Delta has been my choice since they started their daily nonstop. Just bought my RT tickets for next June at $1830 (Tucson-ATL-JNB). I noticed the fares seemed much higher this year depending on the days of the week you fly. As far as trophies coming home: As said all depends on what you are sending. Dip/Pack prep for "Green" trophies is done in Africa by the taxidermist preferred by your outfitter and their rates per item vary. They also take care of crating, local permits and arrange shipping which is mostly by air. An import broker based at a port of entry in the US can facilitate all of this and if used can simplify all the shipping, clearing customs, USDA, USFWS and transport to the tannery or taxidermist with a single cc payment. There are several that specialize in African trophies and their fees are usually $400-700.

If you have any swine (warthog) or Simians (monkeys), your crate must go to an "authorized" taxidermist or tannery for some final treatments before being released. If you don't have those or a CITES species in the crate, (depending on the broker), you can have them just truck the crate directly to you. However, most hunters have their taxidermist determine and arrange where capes, skins, etc should be tanned and everything is sent there directly from Port of entry to minimize added overland shipping costs. From the tannery, skins and capes are taken out and the crate is then shipped to the taxidermist or to you if you had set up an account with them. Note: tanneries generally deal with only licensed taxidermists but some will set up an account for you with the understanding that you will pay an additional 50% over their Taxidermist rates. That is just common practice in the trade. So you can see all totaled it can get pricey to have everything brought back.

15-Sep-16
I had a horrible experience on SAA. The crew seemed like they were trying to get even for apartheid.

Do yourself a favor and go Delta.

TMBB

15-Sep-16
I'm a big fan of British Airways. Since I live in Chicago and hunt in Namibia, I've tried the ORD to Frankfort to Windhoek route, but Air Namibia really sucks and charges $100 each way for firearms. In 2015, I decided to fly on British Airways ORD to London to Jo Berg to Windhoek. I now use the camp rifles and pack three days hunting clothes, my binos, range finder and meds in my Red Oxx carryon. No hassles with firearms permits or stolen/pilfered luggage in Jo Berg. I've already bought my April/May 2017 roundtrip tickets on the British Airways website for $1225 all-in. I've already got my Namibian Arrival/Departure Form filled out, so I can waltz to the front of the line at Windhoek customs/Immigration.

16-Sep-16
I used Delta out of Atlanta. Left NYC LaGuardia airport, flew to Atlanta and non stop to Johannesburg. 15 1/2 hrs from Atlanta to Johannesburg. Flight was 1430.00 but I did upgrade to comfort seating which totaled to 1830.00. My shipping fees for 4 animals with all back skins is 890.00 ...that is without getting them brokered out of customs. I planed my hunt on a dark moon phase. Book with Limcroma, you can't go wrong. They will help you from start to finish.

16-Sep-16
Razor, Limcroma owns their own trophy dipping and packing company - TrophyPro SA. I had two crates shipped back. Primates and warthogs have to be shipped in a separate crate form your other trophies due to CITES. My dipping, packing and shipping cost for both crates was approx. $2,200. My trophies were actually flown back on Delta to Atlanta.

I recommend hiring a customs clearing broker to assist with the importing of your trophies. You can do it yourself, but its better to pay another $350 to $400 and let the pros handle it for you.

Please keep in mind that if you bring primates back, you'll need to have them re-dipped by a taxidermist in the US prior to taking possession of your crates. The cost of re-dipping was $100 per animal. Hope this helps.

16-Sep-16
I have flown once to Johannesburg on Delta non-stop from Atlanta. Good flight but very long. In addition I have flown to Beijing, China on several occasions. I prefer a non-stop over multiple connections as this increases the risk of lost baggage or a missed flight connection. Also, for increased comfort, pay extra for seats with increased leg room, especially if you can get in an exit row. You really need to stretch your legs when flying so far. Invest in a quality set of noise cancellation headphones. You will likely watch quite a few movies/shows on the plane and the little earbuds they hand out aren't worth crap. They will also help drown out the noise of screaming kids in the plane.

16-Sep-16
Hello razorsharp... PM sent

17-Sep-16
I have tried SAA Coach. Once...!

Now I ONLY use mileage tickets. And I only go Business or First Class.

Have tried both British and Emirates.

I am here to attest to the fact that flying First Class (or even Business) on Emirates makes your flights part of the adventure instead of an ordeal!

Granted, it "cost" me 200K miles for each ticket for wife and I. But it was worth it. Stuck in Dubai UAE for a few hours? No worries; a nice steak dinner in the First Class Lounge is no extra charge. Need to overnight there? They have their own hotel. Inside Security...

I plan my overseas hunts and flights based on when I have the miles to fly FREE!

Pete

17-Sep-16
IMPORTANT - DO NOT CONNECT THROUGH LAGOS, NIGERIA. I did this on the return flight to save some money. Bad move. A special (transient??) Visa is required, even if you are just connecting. They let me leave Joburg, but said if there was any issues with my connection I would be screwed. Luckily, there wasn't any issues. BUT, Lagos was a nightmare. Like I was in Somalia. Had no clue where to go. I got taken out of the airport to walk into another terminal, and I thought I was going to either get shot or kidnapped. Luckily (again), no issues. Guys with guns, very dirty, stinky, etc. Went I hit Atlanta I kissed the ground (maybe not, but you get the gist). Bottom line...go from US DIRECTLY to Johannesburg and vice versa. Don't connect anywhere else in Africa. Just my 2 cents.

18-Sep-16
Great info guys! Thank you!

18-Sep-16
Yeah Lagos is a drag! Back in 1974 all the passengers on our flight to Nairobi were herded off the plane by some real iffy guys with AK-47s. Some so young they had to be itching to use them. They put all of us passengers on baggage carts and drove us around the tarmac for a couple hours in the hot sun. Not Fun! Also the bastards took away my new camera which the pilot was able to get back for me after much debate (sans film of course). Apparently, we lucked out and landed there in the middle of a Coup d'etat! Seriously, these guys really came on like they wanted to kill one or all of us. Nigeria is one of the top if not the most corrupt country on the planet.

19-Sep-16
Wow! That would be terrible!

• Sitka Gear