arctichill 25-Oct-16
The last savage 01-Nov-16
TEmbry 02-Nov-16
tradmt 02-Nov-16
Julius K 02-Nov-16
TD 02-Nov-16
sticksender 02-Nov-16
25-Oct-16
Heck of a ram.......would like to see a photo of that one! Is it a bow kill since you mention P&Y score?

25-Oct-16

MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo

25-Oct-16
Was this the one that someone posted a pic of a couple months ago with the young rifle hunter?

25-Oct-16
There have been multiple 180 class rams killed in Alaska in the last 10 years. Some hunters don't go broadcasting their exploits on the internet nor enter their trophies in some "book".

25-Oct-16
Does everything any hunter posts these days incite controversy among other hunters?? No wonder we are a dying breed!

25-Oct-16
Ignorance is bliss, and you appear quite blissful Mav....

25-Oct-16

arctichill's embedded Photo
Just about a month ago, I was floating down a very remote stretch of river in NE Alaska. Our moose hunt had concluded. As my inflatable kayak passes near the kayak manned by my hunting parnter I ask, "Think we might see some sheep?"

He says, "No. These mountains are way too low to see sheep this time of year." Less than thirty minutes later I look up and spot a beautiful Dall ram bedded beneath a ridge.

"What's that white spot up on the slope?"

"Dang! That's a sheep....a ram!"

I'm sure that ram didn't have half the horn measurements of the one pictured above. It didn't matter. My buddy and I were floating a remote Alaskan river and observing a wild dall ram bedded in the waning sunlight of a beautiful Alaskan fall evening. The moment was priceless!

Inches of horn cannot amount to the value of that moment in time. Inches of horn are not worth arguing about. We need to support one another so our kids and grandkids can experience a priceless moment of the kind I shared with a buddy last month.

25-Oct-16

arctichill's Link
Here's a short video that captured my thoughts on that day.

25-Oct-16

Maverick, I don't fault you at all for the post or the inclusion of inches of horn. As a NM resident, I have measured my share of elk antlers. Interestingly, my biggest bull earned me a story in Bugle Magazine...in the Situation Ethics column....a story about a shot I never should have taken.

My best trophy to date is the cow elk I killed when I was 15 years old.

There is certainly a place for measuring and scoring trophies. That dall ram deserves special recognition. My son is six years old now. I thought I could take him to Alaska when he turns 10, but the wife seems to be squashing that plan. It may be 10 years from now before I can take him with me on a month-long, remote trip through Alaska's backcountry. I'll spend the next ten years fighting like hell to make sure that opportunity doesn't disappear.

To me, that's a much more important battle to fight than arguing about how many 180" rams have been killed in recent years.

I do not want to sound like the "holier-than-though" preacher here. Rather, I am thanking you for the initial post and simply hoping that I have the chance to take my son to visit your great State and pursue one or more of the magnificent animals that call Alaska home.

25-Oct-16

01-Nov-16
Man arctichill.im envious of that rafting trip... Good post

02-Nov-16
You know what's even rarer than a 180" Ram? A hunter who kills one and doesn't tell a soul about it. ;)

Hell of a ram regardless how many others are out there.

02-Nov-16
Well some just want to honor the animal so badly they have to tell everyone.

02-Nov-16
That is a monster.

02-Nov-16
Did I miss something???

Or somebody has a hunt planned there for their own 180 incher and wants it kept quiet? I don't get it?

Personally I think it's great some folks don't hoard their animals and adventures from those of us who aren't as fortunate.....

02-Nov-16
TD, following the thread got harder after several posts went missing when their author got canned from bowsite.

• Sitka Gear