Bowfreak 17-Jun-20
Fuzzy 17-Jun-20
Jim Southwick 17-Jun-20
Bowfreak 17-Jun-20
Rut Nut 21-Jun-20
06-Nov-16

Bowriter's embedded Photo
It is Sunday and I aint going to church. It is 38 degrees out and calm. The pre-rut is getting hot. Maybe the heat wave is gone, (two days ago, I was sitting on the patio in shorts, reading and drinking a lot of tea.), deer should be moving. I seldom miss church but I just flat aint going. Earlier, I talked it over with God and he allowed maybe, if I had time while I was sitting in the big maple tree, we could visit a bit about my many faults and he would try and point out some areas of improvement. I reckon I can do that. It seems, this year, I have quite a bit of time to ponder on things while waiting for a deer to walk by. So, I reckon me and Him can visit some. I don't seem to be in as big a hurry as I use to was. Laster night, me and my wife of a dang long time, went out to eat and to hear some Eagles cover band. Golly! Talk about loud and I am 3/4-deef. It was, for me, terrible and I use to like some of the Eagles' stuff. As per her suggestion, she allowed we should leave at intermission. On the way home she said, "You sure have calmed down in the last few years. Five years ago you would have left when they were 15-minutes late starting." Probably, I also would have walked out when the pianner player, the one with a foot-high mohawk, walked out. So, I reckon God will cut me some slack if I don't go to church. I don't reckon you have to be in a particular building to be in church, anyway. I best go shower and put my clean, Sunday, go to meeting clothes on. You know, the ones that look like camouflage and is softer than a baby's butt.

06-Nov-16
The basic problem with your "theology" is that it requires nothing from you. You become the arbiter of right and wrong, good and evil. Many people throughout history have gone quite astray becoming their own interpreter of God.

Take a few Sunday's off and enjoy the woods, but don't become your own deity.

TMBB

06-Nov-16
I believe you missed the point, Bob.

I don't believe Bowriter was presenting an alternate "theology", rather, he was suggesting that God may not mind him speaking with Him for a Sunday or 2 from up in a tree, surrounded by creation, rather than in a building.

06-Nov-16
Exactly Ki-Ke. Good post Bowriter.

06-Nov-16
Good luck and God Bless

06-Nov-16
I am 20 feet closer to god right now. Can't get that in a church.

06-Nov-16
According to my pullemup cord I'm about 18 ft closer to God. Until I move to the tree 15 feet to my right this sfternoon. Then I will be 28 ft. closer......

06-Nov-16
Its better to go hunting and think about God, than go to church and think about hunting.

06-Nov-16
Good one, cnelk, and great post bowriter.

After studying Christian theology for many years and being groomed to become a preacher, I woke up one morning and realized I was much closer to God in the woods than in a church surrounded by posers and hypocrites, with the scriptures being interpreted to me by some other guy who may or may not be a hypocrite in his own life.

My source of a spiritual awakening and inspiration is deep immersion within God's creations, not inside four walls of brick.

06-Nov-16
The woods IS my church. Always has been. It's the place where I feel closest to God. How could it not? His presence is literally bursting out all aound you. Even a blockhead like me can see that.

06-Nov-16
Some folks take these posts too literal. Fun post to read bowriter

06-Nov-16
Great post Bowriter. Too Many Bows, that's A Little Too Much.

06-Nov-16
Good post I am missing Church this morning too, going with the team of horses on a wagon ride with friends taking in some nice weather before the snow flys. God just wants us to keep close to him if we miss Church once in a while I think it's ok with him as long as we don't forget him and fall astray. Have a fun day all.

06-Nov-16
me and God had a good talk, then, just at first grey-light, a dandy came in and made a scrape about 40-yards in front of me but still too dark to shot. So, about 30-minutes later, I shot the one behind me. Home now, getting ready for the "other" church. I don't believe God requires or expects me to be in a certain building on any certain day. he expects me to Love and Worship Him and obey His teachings. Now...I gots a deer to deliver and a Sunday school to attend. Pictures later.

06-Nov-16

50-yard drag and load up. Aint that a pretty pond. Landowner asked me if I wanted him to plant a food plot next year. I told him turnips and maters would do me and the deer.

06-Nov-16
Good for u ????

06-Nov-16
God tells us "where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am." As far as I'm concerned anyone who has contributed or read thru this thread has attended church this morning.

My son and I were inside those four walls today and I found my mind wandering toward hunting. When I am in the woods admiring his spectacular creation I find my mind wandering toward God. Which is better to strengthen my faith? I think the latter. Excellent posts and thread for a Sunday morning.

06-Nov-16
Some good lessons in these posts...thanks to all.

Joe

06-Nov-16
I am.

Then this afternoon, I'm gonna go sit in the "Open Sky" cathedral.

06-Nov-16
A lot of good posts. One just has to remember to worship the creator, not the created.

06-Nov-16

And talk about happy. The couple I gave the deer to, ate their last piece of meat four days ago. Been eating beans and rice and greens. Got two more families to get deer for, then, start back at the top of the list. Been a good year, so far. Pretty fair shot, too. Cut the heart in half.

06-Nov-16
I've had some real meetings with God in the woods.

I do agree with Alex, and believe that missing church occasionally is not an unforgiveable sin. When I'm in the back country for 2 weeks I certainly don't come out to go to church, but I try to read my bible and spend a good deal of time praying for the things that are heavy on my mind and heart. I've found it's actually one of the best places to pray as all life's other distractions are not present.

I totally understand the frustrations with church. However, I love His people, imperfections and all. I don't want to judge too harshly as I believe we all fall short at times playing the part of hypocrite in areas of life. His commandments tell us to keep the Sabbath day Holy, and the bible also tells us to "Not forsake the assembling of yourselves together, as is the manner of some, but so much more as you see the day approaching". As much intimacy as I've had with God in his creation I also find great encouragement from fellowshipping with His church, which is most definitely not a building but rather a body of people who meet in a building. I'm sure Peter must have felt like a major hypocrite to preach after having denied Christ but, thankfully for 3 thousand people, he didn't let that stop him from proclaiming the truth and interpreting scripture to them.

I enjoy the woods and closeness to the Lord while I'm there, but while the church can be a place of frustration it can also be a wonderful place of unity and encouragement from like minded believers, and I enjoy it as well. There is something really uplifting about worshipping corporately. I am also guilty of letting my mind drift in church at times, but I ask the Lord to take my thoughts captive and keep my focus on Him. Whether your meeting with Him while in His creation or amongst His people, both are of great benefit. I don't think it's wise to discredit either one. When I see the problems in the lives of those around me I try to realize my many areas of failure and great need for a Savior. I always find it amazing that in spite of the hypocrisy in the "church people" of Christ's day (aka the pharisees) he still died for them as well as everyone else. He even walked among the churches in Revelations even though He had things against them. I figure if Christ did it, then I ought to follow His example.

Glad you had a great morning John. Thanks for the post.

06-Nov-16
However anyone wants to worship, or not, I have never considered to be any of my affair. One of the reasons I hunt is because it puts me smack dab in the middle of God's creation. Can't get any better !

06-Nov-16
The church I attend is non-denominational, doesn't even have a real name. been going strong for over 12-years and most of the attendees are either drug addicts, alcoholics or both. We serve a free, chicken dinner every Sunday and most just call it Chicken Church. We alternate pastors, if you can call them that. One is a retired Church of Christ minister, the other a surgeon. I've never been frustrated, seldom miss but when I do, I do not feel one whit guilty. For me, church is wherever I happen to be. Seems to me as though, God is there, too and as far as I am concerned, that is that matters.

06-Nov-16
Religion is like a penis.

Its perfectly fine to have and take pride in, but when one takes it out and waves it my face, that's when we have a problem.

06-Nov-16
+1 cnelk

06-Nov-16
Getting my popcorn ready while waiting for the atheists to chime in.

06-Nov-16
Deerslayer, I'm a non-church going Christian but that was a great post and not so much "in-my-face". :-)

06-Nov-16
Religion and Christianity are two different things. One is very much a positive and the other not so much.

06-Nov-16
deerslayer NAILED it. Because that is what the Good Book says. Remember one thing guys; your relationship with Christ is your responsibility. Don't ever let your impression of any person or group of people interfere with that. May the Lord bless you all with the season of your dreams. God Bless all.

06-Nov-16
Going to church doesn't save you...

07-Nov-16
Great thread John, very appropriate and poignant as usual.

Deerslayer, you really nailed it! Great post, one of the best I've read on this subject.

I am of like mind with Bowriter when it comes to religion. I praise the Lord and revel in His works each day. I read His Words and try to follow His ways. I rarely attend a "normal" church. My eldest daughter however is involved in a local church that is exactly as John described his church to be. Nondenominational, rotating "pastors", lots of singing and praise and community works. I get great joy out of attending her "church" and listening to her sing and play guitar with other members of their "choir". My boy, middle daughter, and wife are devoutly Catholic, and that is okay too. We support that just as much in our house as our oldest daughter's choice to attend an "alternative" church. We introduced our kids to God at birth and have then let them find their own path as they've grown up. I don't judge anyone for their choice of religion or their relationship with God, that is solely up to the Creator. I feel close to God in the woods and in the mountains. That is where I celebrate, praise, and worship Him. I try to live my life like He would want me to. If in my last days that isn't enough to get me into His kingdom then so be it, but I will die peacefully knowing that I did my best to serve and glorify Him.

07-Nov-16
My preacher starts church at 1pm on Sunday during November. He hunts too.

07-Nov-16
cnelk, you're on a roll. (grin) I couldn't agree more! (grin)

ElkNut1

07-Nov-16
Even on a Monday morning, your message is true.

my best, Paul

07-Nov-16
delivering food to someone in need. now that's God's work. enjoyed your post, Bowriter.

07-Nov-16
Not a problem to miss church sometimes but it is a MAJOR problem not to be part of a church. Following God is also about being in community with other believers. It is not a one man show find God wherever you want do it your way, it is all about God' way. He is God he makes the rules and we either follow or we don't. We cannot make up our own rules and own ways, that results in just making up our own God.

God has revealed himself and his plan for us through his word, plain and simple. What the bible commands is what we have to do if we want to serve the God of heaven and Earth. I certainly do not want to serve some made up God so my hope is found in his word to us.

Read "Why Church Matters" by Joshua Harris and "Taking God at His Word" by Kevin DeYoung both awesome books.

This post is not intended for Bowriter (I think he gets it already :) )

07-Nov-16
Good post deerslayer. I can't stand it when people tell me they can't go to church because of all the hypocrites there. Mark2:17 Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." We, even the pharisees, are sick. Church is a hospital for sinners and I don't expect it to be perfect until eternity.

07-Nov-16
Yes!!!! This thread has been an inspiration. Gods way is plainly written in his word. Anything else is not as God instructs. I'm proud to call you my brothers in Christ

07-Nov-16
Sounds like there is some legalism here... Some of the finest Christians I know do not attend a church regularly. Hebrews 10:25 is hardly a "commandment" but rather some good instruction. " Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Unfortunately, many churches are 'legacy churches' that have a difficult time accepting new people in. It took me over 20 years to find a decent church that accepts all walks of life but still preaches about sin. I would much rather be in the woods by myself or with friends or loved ones than the snobbery often associated with many churches.

07-Nov-16
Not trying to stir things up, but as a former student of Christian theology, Allheart, if you substitute "Allah" for "God" in your post, the majority of worshipers in the world would agree with you.

07-Nov-16
I spent Sunday reading the good book while I hunted, not everyone preaching in church is actually a Christian. My wife has ovarian cancer and has managed the office at a church in Mpls for 16 years. They told her after she finished 18 straight weeks of chemotherapy her job would be there and if she could only work part time she would receive full pay during treatment. That was all lies, now they have replaced her and told her she is a liability. If the Deacon can lie and do this, how can listening to him in church mean anything. Sorry if this post offends anyone, but what they did goes against everything I was taught and believe in. We are presently looking for an attorney.

07-Nov-16
Acts 10:13

07-Nov-16

Well, whatever y'all decide suits me just fine. However, I went again this morning and they seem to like the light rattling. 137# field dressed. A nice, 2.5-yr.old buck for this area and the family I gave him to was delighted. Now, I am going to hook up the boat and go catch me some fish. BTW- This was the fourth buck to come to the light horns. And he was polite enough to jump the fence and fall int he field where I could drive right to him.

07-Nov-16
John, seems you've been reading and living Gen 27:3 lately! Congratulations on a fine buck!

Gen 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison.

07-Nov-16
"Not trying to stir things up, but as a former student of Christian theology, Allheart, if you substitute "Allah" for "God" in your post, the majority of worshipers in the world would agree with you."

- Not to offend but that is a fairly meaningless observation. There is no measure of human substitutes for God. Be it Allah, or, more commonly, self, there are no shortages of of falsity and veracity is no respecter of popular opinion.

07-Nov-16
Not at all religions but my wife told me I might be going to hell for killing all those animals! Hope she's not right!lol

07-Nov-16
Owl, that's funny!

07-Nov-16
Theological ponderings are somewhat vacuous (albeit entertaining) without first establishing the existence of objective truth.

07-Nov-16
Sorry to hear that blackbear. Every church has those people. My mother in law is a church secretary and I know more than I'd like. Mathew 7:21 says, 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

There will be plenty of church goers that go to hell. Some people find complaint with the preacher or others but I don't go to church to worship the preacher or any person. Thornton I skip church to hunt and don't care if your buddies don't go. Just as every Christian that sins (we all do) will go to heaven so will those that don't go to church. God does give us commands and guidelines and too live in a state of constant contradiction to them seams unhealthy to me. Just me 2 cents.

07-Nov-16
Like I said two posts ago, don't let anyone or any group of people diminish your personal relationship with Christ.

Way to get 'em bowriter. God Bless everyone

07-Nov-16
Seems like the trick is to shop around and find a church with a biblical interpretation which supports your own personal moral, ethical, social, and behavioral beliefs, and then hope the preacher doesn't leave or get run off.

Glad I don't have to worry about all that drama anymore! You all worship as you wish. I'll be thinking about you out in God's cathedral on Sunday morning. Or not...

07-Nov-16
Jaq I'm on a pastor search committee for the newly founded Bowhunters Wilderness Church of Christ. I'm going to hand in a resume on your behalf. So far your our only lead. ;)

07-Nov-16
Hey, I got a limit of bass this afternoon. Looked deep in every one of them's mouth to see if they had any money in 'em. Funny, they never do. But what a great day the Lord let me have today-buck in the morning, limit of bass in the afternoon. I'm starting to like retirement a lot.

07-Nov-16
We should start a dedicated forum for John!

07-Nov-16
Some good posts. Owl and deer slayer seem to get it. I missed church this week to do something I love. I don't feel guilt for it, but I also realize we are called to bear fruit for God and some good works require more than me myself and I.

07-Nov-16
Some don't have much choice... I understand there are states you CAN'T hunt on Sunday. Those are rules that have no place in a free society. None. Yet some still feel they do.

If you're a 7th day Adventist your weekend is screwed.......

07-Nov-16
I always feel close to God when I am in the outdoors but I love to interact with like minded believers and witness how God is working in their lives. I too miss church for hunting but I need church. I need relationships with peers who hold me accountable and remind me of the importance of a Christian's true calling. As Christians we are commissioned to make disciples of all nations. You don't need a church to do this but you do need people and interactions with them. While my personal relationship with Christ might grow stronger alone on a mountain it doesn't do anything to help the lost. It troubles me to think that someone might be eternally separated from God because I didn't do my part. If I saw you were going to get ran over by a bus, how much hate would I have to be holding in my heart to not push you out of the way?

08-Nov-16
Link, with my Conservative Baptist education and grooming, any institution with me as the pastor wouldn't be much fun, even in the wilderness...

08-Nov-16
Lou lucky for you I'm not very charismatic. Maybe at this newly founded "church" we could dance with wild animal head dresses or spin circles and shoot targets off each others heads. Sorta akin to dancing with snakes. ;) It would surely deepen our faith in the god of the bowhunting wilderness church.

08-Nov-16
I spent Sunday reading the good book while I hunted, not everyone preaching in church is actually a Christian. My wife has ovarian cancer and has managed the office at a church in Mpls for 16 years. They told her after she finished 18 straight weeks of chemotherapy her job would be there and if she could only work part time she would receive full pay during treatment. That was all lies, now they have replaced her and told her she is a liability. If the Deacon can lie and do this, how can listening to him in church mean anything. Sorry if this post offends anyone, but what they did goes against everything I was taught and believe in. We are presently looking for an attorney.

08-Nov-16
How do you remove a thread? This one has gotten ridiculous. Pat-shut this down.

08-Nov-16
Bowriter, with all due respect, whenever you introduce religion or politics into a topic it's like throwing a rattlesnake into a picnic. You lose control over where it goes, and it may become toxic. By past thread standards where these topics are tossed into the mix, this thread has been extremely civil and thought-provoking.

Not sure what you expected..

08-Nov-16
Bowriter, I apologize if it are my posts that offend you. I was only attempting humor with Jaq and not being serious. I'll take them off if this is the case.

08-Nov-16
Nicely done John...on many fronts!!!

I've done a lot of praying over the years while out hunting...it works!!!

Mark

08-Nov-16
Jaquomo x2

Maybe move it to the CF but to shut it down would be a disservice to the topic, the interested respondents and, frankly, yourself, Bowriter.

08-Nov-16
Not offended at all. But it seems we have gotten completely off the topic I intended. Perhaps my fault. For the record, I neither belong to nor support, any organized religion. I am a true believer in, "To each his own". It is just that I have never seen any debate on religion turn out well and did not intend this to be one. I was simply stating my feelings of the moment. And now, I believe God wants me to go fry some fish.

08-Nov-16
I actually thought it was a good thread topic. It was interesting to hear everyone's take on it.

IMO no finer church than the mountains or woods. Alone with ones thoughts and prayers..... life changing revelations have taken place under those circumstances. To be honest, I've felt closer to God there than in any church. Generally enjoy the company more as well...... =D

08-Nov-16
The Lonely Ember

A member of a certain church, who previously had been attending services regularly, stopped going.

After a few weeks, the pastor decided to visit him. It was a chilly evening. The pastor found the man at home alone, sitting before a blazing fire.

Guessing the reason for his pastor's visit, the man welcomed him, led him to a big chair near the fireplace and waited. The pastor made himself comfortable but said nothing. In the grave silence, he contemplated the play of the flames around the burning logs.

After some minutes, the pastor took the fire tongs, carefully picked up a brightly burning ember and placed it to one side of the hearth all alone. Then he sat back in his chair, still silent. The host watched all this in quiet fascination.

As the one lone ember's flame diminished, there was a momentary glow and then its fire was no more. Soon it was cold and "dead as a doornail."

Not a word had been spoken since the initial greeting.

Just before the pastor was ready to leave, he picked up the cold, dead ember and placed it back in the middle of the fire. Immediately it began to glow once more with the light and warmth of the burning coals around it.

As the pastor reached the door to leave, his host said, "Thank you so much for your visit and especially for the fiery sermon. I shall be back in church next Sunday."

by Dr. John MacArthur

08-Nov-16
by definition God knows what's in your head and in your heart. Church or not.

08-Nov-16
Hmmm, but if you put a hot ember into a pile of cold ones it generally won't ignite the rest, and will extinguish the glow of the first.

What you experienced in the woods in your OP is what I do every time I'm out there. When I pray, I pray silently to Him, not for the benefit of others in a public setting. I can look for inspiration without the approval of, or disturbance by others.

In the thousands of days and nights I've spent in churches worshiping among the most pious of pious, I've never felt as close to God as when sitting alone with Him among His creations. But I respect those who feel the need to keep the ember glowing by being among other embers. Bowriter, I think you have a good balance in your perspective. And since I moved away from the church and preachers, I can safely enjoy listening to rock and roll, watching movies, having a beer, and hunting on Sundays without the associated guilt and fear that I'm on the Backsliders Express Train to Hell..

08-Nov-16
Seems like anytime religion or worshiping God is brought up, it's like Lou says - "throwing a rattlesnake into a picnic."

I am a Baptist pastor and have my thoughts, but it really doesn't matter what I think or what each individual thinks, what matters is what God thinks and He's revealed that to us through His Word.

Being in church doesn't make me a Christian anymore than standing in my garage makes me a car. Without a doubt there will be plenty that go to hell that sit in the church weekly. As a Christian, I personally enjoy being around fellow believers in church. There's not a perfect member in our church, and I'm not a perfect pastor either, but we are certainly trying to live by God's Word. I'm sure thankful for His mercy and forgiveness in my life personally.

The Bible clearly speaks of what it takes to be a Christian. It also shows us how Christ made salvation available for all. One day we will all stand before God individually and He will judge us by His Word, not by what we think. He has given us His Word to prepare ourselves for that day. Pretty simple - do as His Word says. Take His Word and read it in context, and make sure you know that you are right with Him. Luke 5:32; John 14:6

I enjoy His creation as much as anyone else does - just make sure you're not worshiping the creation more than The Creator. The examples He left us in the Bible show His early church meeting together and learning from His Word.

Enough typing, I'm heading out to the deer stand now...enjoy the season fellow bowhunters - it's on.

--Mitch

08-Nov-16
Nice post Old School.

I will say, as a matter of perspective, not every church goer is a good Christian but every good Christian is a church goer. And, no, not in the legalistic sense.

08-Nov-16
Good example Nick. God Bless all

13-Jun-20
I bring this thread of John's back from 2016 for a variety of reasons. There's a lot going on.....

13-Jun-20
I quit hunting Sunday mornings. I never got or saw anything on Sunday morning. I took it as God's way of telling me I should be with a body of Believers for worship and fellowship. Sunday evenings are good.

13-Jun-20
Thanks Charlie

13-Jun-20
Very meaningful and a powerful message. Thanks for sharing.

C you have a mind like a steel trap - great recall !!

13-Jun-20
Thanks Charlie, I always seem to be a tad closer to Him and hear a bit more clearly when I’m out there too......

13-Jun-20
Thank you for bringing this back up Charlie.

I remember this one, even though I stayed out of this particular discussion.

John was definitely on point. I believe I PM’d him on this one in agreement with his views.

13-Jun-20
Good thread to " bring back ". Gives me some insight into the thinking of some of the regular bowsiters which is interesting to me.

13-Jun-20
Thank you. never closer to our lord than when blessed to to be in his creation sitting up above worshiping the moments slip by living our best life at "my " church. Just so close but not to close. Amen.

I plumb.

14-Jun-20
Glad to see this brought back up. Bowriter was good at pushing the buttons that brought out people's opinions. Lots of good and thought-provoking responses on this one.

14-Jun-20

Rut Nut's Link
I remember this one- think I was even going to add my $.02 but must have got sidetracked and never responded.

Great topic! And made me think of this song I heard on the radio recently..................WHERE I FIND GOD. I was having a very tough day and HE knew exactly what I needed to hear! I think this is very appropriate...............

14-Jun-20
Bowriter was a pure genius and played some on bowsite like a fiddle... i enjoyed his entertainment.

14-Jun-20
Good read, thank you, a lot of good discussion done respectfully. I was raised with a very active family in church. Dealt with Pastors who were alcoholics, OCD, over controlling, dishonest, verbally abusive, etc. Last time we went to church we were condemned for being public school educators and not tithing enough. Closer to God in the woods and he is always in my heart.

14-Jun-20
Do not forsake the assembly of believers; I try to apply this to my life. I hunt over 50 days a year with only 2 or 3 being a Sunday. I am far from being a perfect christian and you would think if I applied all of my woods time to christian introspect thoughts I would be dang near perfect. I do feel closer to God many times sitting in a quiet woods with the sun coming up. I think it allows the still small voice to be heard above worlds activities.

14-Jun-20
Good thread. I’d say start with the Gospel of John (the apostle, not bowriter) and go from there. Read it and ask God for His direction. Church or no church, when you reach out to God you will always get a response.

14-Jun-20
"Because I don't believe in god I don't have any of these issues."

How profoundly sad that a man needs to respond negatively to a subject that he has no interest or investment in. Perhaps there's something missing in your life.....

14-Jun-20
Screwball, sorry you had bad interactions with "institutionalized" Christianity. I've found many churches are more concerned with their denomination than they are with NT theology. For instance, I'd run from any church that told me I wasn't "tithing enough." Further, if you are condemned for having an honest occupation, those folks are outing themselves as more political than canonical. We called to go into the world, not retreat from it. They just don't know doctrine. JMHO.

I posit we would be better off if churches more resembled motorcycle clubs than social clubs. Much like the "Chicken Church" Bowriter cites.

14-Jun-20
I have hunted deer, turkeys , been successful and back in time for church on a number of occasions.

14-Jun-20
Sorry to hear that John passed away.

If the church isn’t important “why did Christ die for it” ?

I encourage everyone to read the Bible and see what it says.

14-Jun-20
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:25

God never gives permission to miss church, fact is we are NOT to forsake the assembly (local New Testament Church) ... today many professing Christ have other gods they share their heart with... football, basketball, baseball, hunting, fishing, etc.... there is nothing wrong with these things/hobbies at all as long as they don’t come before Jesus Christ.

Many would put hunting on Sunday before church... this shows poor value of where value is: man puts a lot of energy into his Flesh and not his soul... flesh .... which worms crawl on, which bugs burrow in, and deer pooo upon... that is a part of man that man gives most attention to... extremely poor value of life; man naturally focuses very lil on his soul, his spiritual needs which are eternal and divinely inspired.

Church don’t mean much to America today because America has forsaken God... and America for the most part professes Jesus but denies Him by lifestyle living...just watch the news, read the paper, or look at friends and relatives...look at the mess we have made of ourselves when we forsake God.

One would think we (New Testament Church) could see what happened to Israel when they backslid from God and learn a lesson not to do the same, but how quickly the mind drifts from truth.

The Church.... Jesus Christ died for, sustains, assembles with, call sinners to repentance in ( seen 2 adults this morning called to repentance in church) purifies the saints, supports the gospel, through preaching and teaching conforms believers to Christ, and protects... from the gates of hell; the local New Testament Baptist Church is a victor in and above all else...nothing, no nothing, can do for humanity what a bible based and structured church can do in any way; the courts and Their so called rehabilitation programs are a failure and only pose a remedy but yet time shows so different; I personally need everything my church offers...21 years ago I rededicated my life to Jesus Christ and can’t even explain how blessed my life/family has been... and this I have seen with 1000’s over the years... in regards to hunting- I hunt a minimum typically of 3-4 states per year and Canada yearly as well... but never miss church unless deep in the bush... and then we have a service.

If God gave me permission to miss church, I believe I’d pass.

14-Jun-20
Tobpitbull, Well thought out and worded. As things around the Country decay it grows increasing clear how far we have drifted from God as a nation.

14-Jun-20
It’s really pretty simple - the Greek word which is translated “church” in our Bible is ekklesia which is defined as a called out assembly.

It’s not up to us to define what church is to us, it’s God’s and He has clearly defined what it is in His Word. If you skip church to hunt - then it’s as simple as Bowriter states “I ain’t goin to church”. The simple definition of church doesn’t allow for it to mean being by myself in the woods - or anyplace else for that matter, that’s not church.

It’s about the equivalent to sitting in a treestand with a rifle during bow season and explaining to the game warden that you define your rifle as a bow.

Reminds me of the sad time of the Judges - “and every man did that which was right in his own eyes.”

15-Jun-20
Spread the Gospel always....use words only when necessary!

15-Jun-20
Thanks C-man

Thankfully we have a Saturday evening Mass, so I'm good to go on Sunday,

Robb

15-Jun-20
Randy I agree with you on the tithing thing. I left a church over that very issue (where I WAS tithing ) and I continued to tithe at the church I went to, at the same rate, even though the leader specifically stated that tithes and offerings were not needed or required.

15-Jun-20
To “not tithe enough” is an impossibility. Tithe literally means 10% - that’s its definition.

If you give less than 10%, you’re giving but you’re not tithing. If you give more than 10%, you’re tithing and giving an offering.

15-Jun-20
Old School, exactly

15-Jun-20
I like this post. It's good to hear there are other God believers hunters out there. I somewhat struggle with this issue. I myself is more comfortable with God at home and in my tree stand. Although, what is Gods will, to be worshipping with our brethren? I try to go to church first but sometimes I fail.

17-Jun-20
John's recent passing will leave a hole because few had his talents and the kind of life he lived, from country music and rodeo to his writings.

Kind of surprising our paths never crossed much, but I guess it's because we wrote for far different markets. His reputation, though, was good with the many people we both knew.

17-Jun-20
One's salvation is not based on tithing, but tithes and offering are a reflection of the heart. The rich young ruler had everything. He kept all of the precepts and laws, but he loved his money more than his neighbor or God.

17-Jun-20
Bowfreak, I agree. Tithing is obedience. God doesn't need our money "whose likeness is on the Denarius?" God WANTS us to be obedient to his commands. Tithing is a command. Tithing is also not just cash rendered or checks written to a church coffer. Tithing is freely a tenth part of our blessings (the blessing of health and gainful employment) to "the church" which is the body of Christ (the people who have accepted HIS gift)

17-Jun-20
Tobpitbull, Amen and Amen.

17-Jun-20
Fuzzy,

I agree. For some it is so easy to give money without a second thought. That same person might find it extremely difficult to donate a second of their time or talents.

21-Jun-20

Rut Nut's Link
I just heard this song today.....................I wonder if Trace wrote it for Bowriter?! ;-)

“I’d rather be on a lake with my mind on God than in church with my mind on fishin’!” : )

• Sitka Gear