Korey Wolfe 01-Dec-16
Bou'bound 01-Dec-16
standswittaknife 01-Dec-16
Kdog 03-Dec-16
Mule Power 03-Dec-16
Kdog 03-Dec-16
midwest 24-Dec-16
30-Nov-16
Some friends and I are looking to do a caribou hunt in 2018. Just wanted some input on options and costs. I wouldn't be afraid of a DIY drop off hunt in AK but others are going to want to go with an outfitted hunt so that is the direction I'm looking.

Thanks in advance.

30-Nov-16
Are you only looking into Alaska Nick?

30-Nov-16
From all the research I did, if you want to hunt in Canada then Jack Hume Adventures (JHA) is your best bet. I'm hunting with them in 2017. You can find a lot of info about their operation on this website.

Darren

30-Nov-16
Richard Hume for sure. Short shopping trip if you are looking at Canada. Not only the best, one of the last in Quebec. He has it figured out and delivers exceptionally well with a history of performance over decades.

30-Nov-16
JHA for 2017 for me too. Easy choice...

30-Nov-16
JHA is the only way to go. Next year (2017) will be my 17th hunt with them!! If you need any info shoot me a PM. Will be glad to answer any questions you have or off advice. See you on the tundra. Rory

30-Nov-16
Don't overlook Scott Alberda at Bow & Arrow Adventures.

30-Nov-16
You can go to Alaska for half of what a hunt will cost you in Quebec.

30-Nov-16
What Beav said. ... Ed F

30-Nov-16
Troy, No, We're open to Canada or AK.

Beav, I assume you're talking transporter and DIY. On MY bucket list but not going to work for this group.

JHA was the first that came to mind because I've heard so much about them here. For you guys that have used them, which package did you do?

30-Nov-16
6x1 unguided is all you need if you have a little energy and confidence in the woods.

30-Nov-16
Sounds like these fellas need a fully guided hunt? If so, $8,200 plus airfare to Montreal/incidentals/additional gear they may want to buy beforehand, for the JHA package. Or $6,200 for the unguided, which it doesn't' sound like they want.

You can do a guided hunt in AK for less than that, I'll bet... and you can shoot more than one bull in most areas.

What is the opposition to going on a DIY hunt? There are some great options and I personally think you could get by with minimal gear beyond what you'd already have for a bivy elk hunt.

30-Nov-16
The 6x1 "unguided" at JHA actually comes with quite a bit of support from the camp caretaker. On our hunt he helped spot animals and took care of them once they were down, along with performing other duties a guide would typically perform. Depending on how many are hunting or how many animals are down, the support may vary. But I didn't feel like our hunt was lacking in any way.

30-Nov-16
I'm sure they'd be fine with the 6x1 package.

How is the herd doing now?

01-Dec-16
From the sound of it the herds been doing good the last couple years. Personally last trip I saw more mature bulls than my 5 previous trips combined. A lot of that has to do with being in the exact right place at the right time. And gators right. The camp managers I've had in the past helped as much as possible.

01-Dec-16
I've been with JHA 2x, it would be hard to find a better outfitter.

TMBB

01-Dec-16
Gonna be up there next year Luke? Ill be up my usual weeks. Looking forward to it already. Agree with you that the herd seems healthy and saw tons of big bulls at both camps I was at. Nicest bulls killed this year on average that I have ever seen. Just seems to get better every year. JHA makes sure you get into animals and have an over all fantastic trip. See you on the tundra. Rory

01-Dec-16
JHA is an excellent option. Don't hesitate to go with them.

01-Dec-16
JHA is not an option they are the answer;. Looking forward to returning in 2017 with my son.

01-Dec-16
DIY Alaska is the way that I am going...

03-Dec-16
What are some good guides/outfitters in Alaska for Caribou?

03-Dec-16
There are lots of hunts where more assistance is probably a good idea for many reasons but I'd never pay an outfitter to hunt Caribou. They are the antelope of the north and who would pay an outfitter to chase lopes.

I'd have Nick pick me up at the airport and be on my way north for an AK DIY. If I actually had piles of money to light on fire I guess I'd pay a transporter to dump me off somewhere. I like buzzing around in those puddle jumpers.

03-Dec-16
It is my money, so I will burn it if I want to! Seriously, sometimes I just want to have things planned out for me. Just show up and hunt and have it be all about me and my experience.

24-Dec-16
Well so much for Quebec.

The research for Alaska DIY has begun. I'm not afraid to fail so will just jump in feet first. Any tips appreciated.

• Sitka Gear