CurveBow 07-Dec-16
LWood 11-Dec-16
Lone Eagle 22-Dec-16
Alpinehunter 23-Dec-16
Dyjack 23-Dec-16
03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
I would like to preface this with a thank you to all the guys I have shared a hunting camp with over the years. This latest trip to Kodiak was one of the best week-long experiences I have ever had while bowhunting. And although this is not really a recap of that hunt alone, it was the culmination of a life-long quest with stick and string.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
First "big game" bowhunt
Zackman's embedded Photo
First "big game" bowhunt
Lots of boys grow up idolizing professional athletes, movie stars or singers. When family members ask them, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" The boy says, "professional baseball player" or "country music star" or maybe the oddball response of "rodeo clown."

But my childhood idols used words to craft tales of adventures in far-off places. These idols often were not famous, couldn't hit a baseball 500 feet and probably wouldn't last very long with a bull chasing them. The talents they did have were ones I tried to hone: ability to sneak close to animals, proficiency with archery equipment and artful storytelling through the written word. In my opinion, no one was better than Chuck Adams.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Finger bow and beanie. Old school...
Zackman's embedded Photo
Finger bow and beanie. Old school...
I started reading hunting magazines shortly after learning my ABCs. And nobody was more prevalent a writer than Chuck. I learned to love his writing style and gawked at every photo of him with a monster animal in his hands and a giant grin on his face. I continued to shoot with fingers and wear a beanie while bowhunting until I was 20. I went into journalism because I figured on a career in outdoor writing. I might have been a little overboard in my approach to try and follow in his footsteps...

By the time I graduated from college, I realized that there would only be one Chuck Adams and I eased up trying to follow his every step and find my own path. But one of his accomplishments stuck with me since I was a kid and I couldn't shake it until I was able to do the same thing--five archery deer slams. At the time, he was the only bowhunter to record five archery deer slams.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
First day of deer hunting at 11 years old. Beginner's luck!
Zackman's embedded Photo
First day of deer hunting at 11 years old. Beginner's luck!
I grew up a deer hunter and although I was very fortunate to be in a bowhunting family, with parents that took me on hunting trips for vacations every year, I never expected to chase exotic animals. So when I read stories about sheep hunting in the pristine wilderness of northern Canada or safaris on the golden plains of Africa, I loved to pretend I was along side the storyteller, but I knew deep down that wasn't who I would be. I was a deer hunter and even though Chuck hunted everything, he always admitted to his love for deer--especially blacktails from his youth.

Since I also grew up in California, it was easy for me to relate to his passion. By the time I was 15, I was lucky enough to have hunted and arrowed blacktail, mule deer and even a Coues' deer. It was at that point I thought that an archery deer slam was a possibility. Over the next decade, I was able to shoot a few whitetails, but an unsuccessful trip to Kodiak for Sitka blacktails left me one species short of the North American archery deer slam.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
First Sitka Blacktail
Zackman's embedded Photo
First Sitka Blacktail
It wasn't until my second trip to Kodiak that I was able to arrow a nice buck and finish the first deer slam. It only took me 16 years of bowhunting deer! At 27, I hoped that the next ones would come more quickly or I would have to find the fountain of youth. Luck was on my side, and four years later, two well-placed arrows on another trip to Kodiak made slams No. 2 and 3 a reality.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Velvet Coues'
Zackman's embedded Photo
Velvet Coues'
When I returned from that trip, I decided to make a serious effort at No. 4 and 5. I would need another Coues' and two more Sitkas. I decided to try something different for Coues' and found an early season hunt. It was great to see a different side to the smallest deer in North America. I was able to arrow a fuzzy-antlered buck this past August and saw for the first time that the color green actually exists in the desert. That was another trip made special because I made new friends, including a couple from Bowsite.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Quite the cast of clowns
Zackman's embedded Photo
Quite the cast of clowns
Although I had not planned on going back to Kodiak this year, a few friends really wanted to go and had to convince me pretty hard to make the trip this past month. I think the conversation went, "Zack, do you want to plan a trip for this year to Kodi..."

"Yes! I'll set it up," came out of my mouth without thought. I think my subconscious knew the deer population was up and it IS my favorite hunt, so mid-November found me landing on Kodiak island with 5 good buddies.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Easiest packing job ever!
Zackman's embedded Photo
Easiest packing job ever!
The first night I was able to make a good shot at last light--after an errant warning arrow (it's only fair that I gave him a chance)--on a mature buck dogging a doe. The good news was deer slam No. 4 was over fast. The bad news was going to be what the next three hours would hold--skinning/quartering a deer in the dark and packing down the mountain through a never-ending alder thicket. The things you hope for on a Kodiak hunt! Luckily my hunting partner Matt (yes, that Matt) was very eager to help...

Three hours and 11 falls later, we were back at the shore and ready for pickup and a celebratory cocktail. Man, I had forgotten how much fun it was to stumble around in the alders with a heavy pack in the darkest of dark. I was quickly reminded. Luckily, Matt did not try to smother me in my sleep that night and I vowed to help him and that he would have the next shot. At least that's what I said...

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
First Kodiak fox
Zackman's embedded Photo
First Kodiak fox
The next day, we climbed to the top of the mountain and never found a good stalking opportunity. While creaping over a little rise, I looked to my right and saw a fox at 30 yards. I told Matt, "Don't move, there is a fox right there. Do you mind if I shoot it?" Meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, my body had knocked an arrow and come to full draw. Matt graciously decided to let me shoot, as though I really gave him a choice. Keep this in mind for anyone considering on bringing me on a hunt.

When the fox started to move, Matt called to it and it started coming towards us. What a good hunting buddy! It went behind a small knoll and we walked closer. When it popped out at 10 yards, I knew it was in my effective range and it was over quickly. Two days and I had a nice buck and a fox. Matt hadn't even drawn his bow. At least I didn't make him pack another buck all through the night again, right? Seriously, don't everyone invite me to be a hunting partner at once.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Matt's second buck
Zackman's embedded Photo
Matt's second buck
I was serious about helping Matt the next few days and we were able to rattle a couple nice bucks into bow range. Matt made good shots at alarming distances (15 and 10 yards) and I did return the favor of packing out his bucks. See, I'm not as bad as I seem.

03-Dec-16
Looks like a rough crew this year Zackman! Congrats on reaching your goals so far and good luck on reaching the new ones you'll set.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
5 archery deer slams
Zackman's embedded Photo
5 archery deer slams
On the last day, I hunted alone while meat care, duck hunting and fishing was handled by a couple guys with no tags left. Just before a snow storm, I found a bedded buck 400 yards away. I marked the green patch he was bedded under and began my stalk. I had to backtrack and sneak around a large pond before getting the wind right and crawling up a cut below the ridge line. When I peaked over, I excepted to see the buck's antler tips at 25 yards. The snow storm had covered my stalk and I knew he was still going to be there. Arrow nocked, I scanned the brush in front of me.

That's when I saw his eyes burrowing into me from directly to my right. Turns out there were two green patches and I picked the wrong one. He could only see my head, but he had me. It was wide open between us, the only thing I could do was sit and wait. A minute later, he stood to check his does and I figured it was going to happen. The shot felt more comfortable than any other time I have released an arrow at an animal. Sometimes, it just works. Five seconds later, he was on the ground. Of course, like the good hunting buddy I am, I called Matt on the radio to help me pack. I really know how to make friends...

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
It wasn't until we were heading back to the beach that it started to sink in. I had made a goal based off another person's achievements and two decades later, I was there. At the time I conceived this goal, it was widely reported that Chuck Adams was the only bowhunter to have 5 archery deer slams. I don't know if that is still true today, there may be others or he may have 10 deer slams at this point. But for a kid that had an idol he knew he could ever be like, this was the one moment in my life where I could say, "I did what Chuck did."

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
I know I'm not a kid anymore--although I spend much of my time acting like one--but it was fun for me to look back at a journey that took me from childhood to the present. I have spawned new unrealistic goals since this first one as a child of chasing Chuck and they will probably never come to be. However, when I was younger, I never seriously thought I'd be able to get to 5 archery deer slams. I guess you can dream up crazy things at any age, that is not something reserved strictly for children.

03-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
End of a great week
Zackman's embedded Photo
End of a great week
Although I have started chasing other species across this continent, I will always be a deer hunter at heart. Nothing makes me feel more like a bowhunter than when I have a deer tag in my pocket and a bow in hand.

I ask the guys I shared this hunt with to feel free to post about their experience on Kodiak this year. It was a memorable one for me and I hope for them as well.

03-Dec-16
Nice. Congratulations.

03-Dec-16
Good story Zack and a really nice buck that you packed out in the dark. Congrats !

03-Dec-16
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

03-Dec-16
Awesome write up man!! Congrats on a hell of an accomplishment!! I hunted blacktails with Richard this year and he really praised you as a great hunter! Looking forward to drinking a few beers at the sheep show with you to celebrate your slams. Congrats again Zack!

03-Dec-16
Good stuff Zack. Congrats again on a great accomplishment.

03-Dec-16
Again thanks for the great trip buddy! ... and congrats on your slams again!!! 2019 or 2020 can't get here soon enough for more flaming donkeys... so until then we'll keep the donkeys flowing!

03-Dec-16
Good write up!

03-Dec-16
Congrats! What a great accomplishment and looked like a great time!

03-Dec-16
That a boy Zack! Great thread and super nice bunnies!

03-Dec-16
That's awesome Zack. Love the story and grats on your accomplishment. I'm like you in that we're younger than the group that grew up with the older guys like when Fred Bear and the like were in their prime and Chuck Adams has always been someone I've looked up to as well. That you were able to accomplish one of his feats is really cool. Grats bud!

03-Dec-16
Congrats Zack and way to chase the dream! Simply awesome.

03-Dec-16
Congrats Zack! Quite an accomplishment! On some good deer to boot.

Great thread and great write up! Thanks much for takin' us along!

Good to hear Matt can pack..... could'a used him on a couple..... =D

04-Dec-16
I believe that the genus Odocoileus represents the greatest hunting challenge in North America, and to achieve 5 deer slams is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations Zack!

On a more personal note (and I honestly mean this), had you committed yourself to it, I believe you would have made one hell of a rodeo clown.

#shakeweight

04-Dec-16
^^^lmao

04-Dec-16
Zack, No real reason to ever grow up. A bow and arrow in one's hand will keep you young in mind, body and heart.

My best, Paul

04-Dec-16
Matt, Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think at sheep show, we should go find a bull for me to test my rodeo skills on. Maybe around midnight? I'll show him who the clown is...

Secondly, everyone knows the only way to train for Kodiak is the shakeweight. For the advanced Kodiak-goers, try the double shakeweight. You're welcome in advance

04-Dec-16
Good reading and pix

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

04-Dec-16
Well done Zack!

04-Dec-16
I really enjoyed this

04-Dec-16
Great thread, Zack! Congrats

04-Dec-16
Great read! Chasing dreams is what makes this sport so much fun! Congrat on number 4/5. Very impressive ! Hunt

04-Dec-16
Awesome for all you guys. As always, i love the spin you put on the write up's. I like your wit. Congrats to you all again and, that is an awesome accomplishment. God Bless

04-Dec-16
Zack, nicely done! Please provide some shakeweight workout video for our entertainment. Thanks. :)

04-Dec-16
Congratulations! Great write up.

Please video your work with the bull. Matt will probably be glad to help find a good one... with a name like el Basectemo or el Colonoscopio or something.

04-Dec-16
Just awesome. Congrats Zack.

04-Dec-16
Let me make sure I get your story line straight:

-a kid has a passion (that he is good at...much to the chagrin of local rabbits)

-he has an idol (mentor(s) that provides positive direction in the life of this young lad)

-he sets a very lofty goal

-he stays focussed and persistent on achieving this goal over a long period of time

-he achieves the goal

A HUGE congrats Zack!!! Incredible story and accomplishment!!

Mark

04-Dec-16
That was great! Big congrats!

04-Dec-16
Great accomplishment, Zack...seriously impressive for a guy your age.

Keep up the good work!

Best of Luck, Jeff

04-Dec-16
Zack, Congratulations! I like to see people set goals and achieve them! You have done very well. One of Bill Krenz's Bowhunter Magazine stories where he talked about his deer slam got me going (think I got my blacktail in 1990 to complete mine). Your post gets me motivated to go hunt a Sitka or 3 in BC and maybe another blacktail just for the variety (and a few more deer slams)!

04-Dec-16
Great write up. Thx for sharing!

04-Dec-16
Too Cool! Deer are the only species I actually care to complete and check off every one. To do it 5 times with archery equipment is a hell of a feat!

04-Dec-16
Great accomplishment and a fun hunt. Matt, I sent you a PM. ;)

05-Dec-16
Congrats!

05-Dec-16
Thanks for sharing. Very nicely written and I can sympathize with your sickness. I can't even branch out from whitetails I love them so much.

05-Dec-16
Outstanding story and accomplishment Zack.... Congratulations. Pack your bags, Chuck will be at the P&Y Convention in St Louis... The perfect opportunity to share your story with him personally. Ed F

05-Dec-16
Great stuff right there! Congrats.

05-Dec-16
Good stuff!! Congrats buddy!!

05-Dec-16
Zack, congrats not only on another great hunt but for setting a lofty goal and working hard to accomplish it. Very few people understand the dedication, hard work, sweat and tears that you have gone through to accomplish your goal.

People laugh at me when I tell them some of my goals but that simply makes me work harder towards achieving them as NOTHING is impossible if you set you heart and soul into it.

Best of luck on your future goals and hopefully you will get another 5 deer slams quickly.

05-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
Thanks everyone. The pursuit was more fun than the accomplishment.

Another first for me on this past trip was duck hunting. I'm not much of a waterfowl guy, but harlequin are beautiful birds. This one will be the first bird to find a spot in my room.

05-Dec-16
Way to get after it Zack. Congrats and great write up!

05-Dec-16
Congrats Zack!! Great write-up and even better accomplishment!

05-Dec-16
Mark isn't going to be happy with that duck pic. That's one less "avian" for him to pursue.

05-Dec-16
Dang it Zack!!! Five deer slams and now you are honing in on my "Avian Slam!"

I suppose you shot it as it was winging by at 65 mph at 60 yards with your bow as well...

beautiful bird by the way (I need to add it to "the slam!"

Mark

05-Dec-16
Very cool story. Congrats buddy. Love the old school pics!

05-Dec-16
I'm gunning for you Mark! I told you I have new goals. Maybe the single-season "avian" slam next year

05-Dec-16
Great synopsis write-up of your exploits so far. Congrats on your deer hunting achievements. You appear to have a very bright bowhunting career ahead of you. Stay focused.

As an older hunter, I makes me feel proud to know we have many younger members in the bowhunting community who will carry our sport forward. Several years back when I saw so many "dark hairs" in the crowd at the Dallas P&Y convention rather than "gray/white hairs", I could vision that leadership for bowhunting and P&Y was looking good and would be in good hands.

05-Dec-16
Congrats!

05-Dec-16
Cool journey, congrats and thanks for shipping it here!

05-Dec-16
and the SSASNY (Single Season Avian Slam Next Year) Slam was born. Somebody get Dennis Campbell on the horn.

Mark...You are going to need to get going. My last check shows 914 Bird species in North America. It is good to have goals though.

05-Dec-16

Mark Watkins's embedded Photo
Mark Watkins's embedded Photo
Ok, Five Slammer Cali Zack....Here's what you are looking for!

Cory, do I have 912 or 913 remaining to complete my "Avian?"

Mark

05-Dec-16
Hen Turkey - CHECK Grouse- CHECK Am I missing any? If not, my calculation shows 912 left.

05-Dec-16
Are these grouse the same species (Ruffed) or Ruffed and Spruce?

This would give me a solid lead on Zack!

Mark

05-Dec-16
Awesome story and achievements Zack! Congrats! Sitka blacktails are the prettiest deer there are IMO! Thanks for sharing!

05-Dec-16
Nice Harlequin duck. Seems like a real good time, shooting deer, waterfowl and fishing. I'm also intrigued by the fact that Burke makes a good pack mule.

05-Dec-16

Zackman's embedded Photo
Zackman's embedded Photo
Watch your back, Mark! I picked this little guy up in Alaska this year too. First ptarmigan

05-Dec-16
Very cool story, really enjoyed it!

05-Dec-16
bb, an old guy once told me that dentures aren't a substitute for teeth - they are a substitute for no teeth. That's a good analogy for my ability as a pack mule.

Did anyone hear that on November 21st Alaska's legislature began debating new legislation to prohibit drinking and singing Toto?

05-Dec-16
They had to scrap that debate and instead took up more important legislation about making it a felony for anyone who sticks their toe into someone else's eye

05-Dec-16
I'm starting to have second thoughts about this boat hunt...

05-Dec-16

joehunter8301's embedded Photo
joehunter8301's embedded Photo
Great memories on that trip bud. Glad to have been there this year. Like I said after 8 rum an cokes. "One of the Best well rounded bowhunters I know!" Amazing accomplishment!

05-Dec-16
Lmao joe,, so after 3 suds it was 5, now it's 8 bahahaaa... im just glad you found your ears that walked away in the middle of the night....

06-Dec-16
Great stuff guys. That's what it's all about right there!

06-Dec-16
Great trip and your the man for following your dreams!! I'm still a big kid to buddy my playground has just gotten a little bigger....... Congrats my friend..

06-Dec-16
Kota, I here you.... If it's anything like the "secret bar" in Reno, I don't know how arrows could fly straight the next day!

Mark

06-Dec-16
I'm more concerned about the toes in orifice comments and the singing Toto part than I am the cocktails. (but then again I suppose one leads to the other)

06-Dec-16
Just an awesome write-up Zach. Thanks for sharing.

06-Dec-16
Great write up and thanks for sharing Zack!! Congrats on a great accomplishment!

06-Dec-16
Did somebody seriously steal little Joe's ears in the middle of the night?

06-Dec-16
Very very cool. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

06-Dec-16
Awesome. Congrats!! Love the Harlequin also!!

06-Dec-16
Thanks for sharing Congrats!

07-Dec-16
Nicely done Zack !!!!

07-Dec-16
Very well done. Love the smiles!

07-Dec-16
Mark/Kota,

Any time spent with me requires a certain amount of training. I'm sure you guys are up to the task. You are both sheep hunters after all.

If Matt can hang, anyone can.

07-Dec-16
Congratulations Zack! Keep at Slams 6 and onward!

>>>>-------->

11-Dec-16
Congratulations Zack! Not sure how I missed this thread!

Lenny

22-Dec-16
Zackman, What charter service did you use for your Kodiak hunt?

23-Dec-16
Nice! Looks like you have really enjoyed the Journey and that makes all of the difference.

23-Dec-16
Great job! Thank you for sharing your adventures.

• Sitka Gear