Ambush 14-Dec-16
GaryB@Home 14-Dec-16
Tberg 15-Dec-16
Kurt 15-Dec-16
Ambush 16-Dec-16
Ambush 24-Dec-16
krieger 25-Dec-16
04-Dec-16
Looks like I'm going to be just outside of Scottsdale AZ {Carefree} between January 15th - 20th. I see there is a "reserve" there that allows bowhunting javelinas at that time. Now given the proximity to Phoenix, would this area be hard hunted and likely a very low success rate? I've never even seen a javelina never mind hunted them, so I would be disadvantaged right off the hop.

If someone familiar with the area could advise me on whether it is likely I may have some encounters, that would be appreciated. I'd love to shoot one, but I would consider it worthwhile just have hunted and engaged the little buggers. I'd probably have two or three days to hunt between family and touring.

Also, are there any landmarks or attractions that are a "must see" while in the area?

I'm not interested in a guided hunt. I prefer to screw things up myself.

04-Dec-16
Did you put in for the draw? There will likely not be leftover tags in units near Phoenix, although there certainly will be in some units in the state.

04-Dec-16
Thanks Matt. I was on Scottsdale's website, and it seemed to indicate that leftover tags were normally available. I surmised maybe because the area was less than desirable for those with better options.

04-Dec-16
Lots of those lil pigs in that area. My girlfriend is an office manager in Scottsdale and has the lil monsters in the parking lot every morning. It's not very steep or rugged area. You get a lot of foot traffic there during the middle of the day from hikers. Good luck...

04-Dec-16
Thanks Buglmin. My sister-in-law has them in her shrubbery in Carefree sometimes, but it may be frowned upon to be putting them on a carbon shish-kabob stick while they're still alive. lol.

04-Dec-16
Best to peruse the Arizona Game and Fish website for complete info. Look for the Spring Regulations booklet.

04-Dec-16
Thanks Gary. I did go through the regs concerning javelina and non-resident hunting. I think {famous last words} I have reasonable grasp on the rules but if it looks like a doable hunt, then I'll be sure to cross t's and dot i's.

Javelina and actually pigs have been on my bucket list for some time and I'm just going with the "When Opportunity Knocks" line of thought.

04-Dec-16
Are you talking about the Mcdowell mt preserve? If so, we have hunted it a few times. Only draw back is the entrance gate is on a timer and you can't get in at dark o'clock. If you want a head start, you have to park outside and hike in. Haven't had a bad experience with any hikers yet. Actually informed several about the legal hunting there and what to watch out for.

04-Dec-16
Yes hunting dad, the Mcdowell Sonoran Preserve. Looks like stunning country! To a BC, north woods guy anyway. So different than anything I've ever hunted in.

05-Dec-16
Well, coming from BC you could get away with shorts and a t-shirt (don't, everything in the desert will poke, sting or bite you) the rest of us will be layered for the "cold" weather.

05-Dec-16
Haha, yup! Had that in RSA on a September hunt; loving the "cool" mornings and nearly passing out from the heat by 1:00 in the afternoon.

I'm also very much NOT used to looking out for low-to-the-ground threats. Anything here that would bite me is likely bigger than me. Can I get away with just good hiking boots? Gaiters recommended?

05-Dec-16
No worries about ground dwellers this time of year, good boots are fine. I'm a native and have never used snake protection, any time of year.

05-Dec-16
I guess the next step is to see if I can even buy a leftover tag.

I did see an on-line, printable application form that had to be mailed in. Is there a way to check on-line to see if tags are available for that area?

05-Dec-16
Yes, the website posts left over tags, go to the Spring draw area. There are some over the counter tags for Javelina in the metro areas, I don't remember the dates, I'll take a quick look.

05-Dec-16
Just checked and yes there are over the counter (non-permit) tags for the month of Jan. in the metro units, The Spring Regs booklet is where they are listed, the Fall Regs booklet (main) will have a map showing all hunt units along with the description of their boundaries.

05-Dec-16
Thanks Gary, that's great info. I should be able to navigate through the system now with that.

I had a look at the boundaries and watched a few promo videos of the Preserve. I'll be poking around there for sure, tag or no tag. Always exciting to see new and different terrain and topography.

I better spend some more time over on the "Javelina shot placement" thread. Never know, this could come together!!

05-Dec-16
I like your style sir!

05-Dec-16
You might see some nice mule deer while you're there too. Have fun and keep us posted if it happens. I'll be busy in 6A or I'd come down and help glass.

05-Dec-16
ELKMAN, I wish style also helped with success, as I seem many times, to have none of either.

hunting dad, I wish you could be there to. Nothing like having part of the local tribe on your side.

And I never even considered the possibility of seeing some of those wide racked, desert mulies! This is not even a dedicated hunting trip, but I'm getting pretty stoked about it now!! My wife is going to wonder why I'm so pumped about seeing her sister.

06-Dec-16
Awsome my wife and I did a bunch of hiking in carefree , have fun

06-Dec-16
Good luck and have fun Ambush!

06-Dec-16
Thanks all!

I talked to the Mesa AFG office this morning and got the info I needed. They said, when I get there go to one of their offices or any dealer {of course Walmart is one} and simply register for an ID#, buy the Hunt/Fish non-resident licence, then buy a non-permit, archery javelina tag. It is a guaranteed OTC tag.

Looking good for a few days of unexpected fun!!

09-Dec-16
Javies are causing a lot of trouble in the residential areas, eating scrubbery and causing havoc in the neighborhoods. Sitting at the girlfriends office in Scottsdale just a while ago, twelve just walks out and starts eating. Going outside, they just stand and watch you. Guys at Cabelas said they are every plentiful there and isn't too hard of a problem getting on them...

10-Dec-16
I hope this ^^^ is right, but I'm guessing their more like those famous last words. And your success is being in the desert that time of year. Good luck! Post this adventure...

10-Dec-16
According to some Scottsdale City Council notes, the success rate for the Preserve on javelina, is five percent. That could be skewed, because it's based on voluntary reporting.

They probably are a big nuisance and plentiful in the suburbs, but they don't get hunted in the flower gardens. Maybe I'll chance across one that has just wandered back to the wild for a diet cleansing after over indulging in the good life of human cultivation.

10-Dec-16
Double Post.

11-Dec-16
Should be tasty if their eating out of peoples yards all day!

11-Dec-16
Check out youtube and look up bowhunting muledeer arizona 2014. My friend from Hawaii killed there on his 2nd day. shows some of the country.

13-Dec-16
"I prefer to screw things up myself." LOL! We can all relate to that statement.

13-Dec-16

Tberg's embedded Photo
Tberg's embedded Photo
There is a lot of state land in the metro units (26m, 25m) that is open to hunting with that otc tag. I used to live in Fountain Hills and I'd skip the McDowell Preserve and hit some of the bigger tracts of state land in North Scottsdale/Cave Creek area. Hunt the areas that border golf courses/residential areas, and USFS lands. Bring some arrows for the jack rabbits :) and keep an eye out for those big desert mulies!

13-Dec-16
Tberg, that's great information and advice, thanks for that. And I'll be staying within walking distance of Cave Creek. I suppose the interface areas have the most easily spotted javelinas, but I'm a little leary of being someplace I shouldn't be while actively hunting. I intend to do some trail hiking in the Preserve at some point even if not carrying a bow all the time. Grand Canyon is on the itinerary also.

Is there a reasonably priced chip or mini SD card of the area for a GPS [ Garmin CSX 60].

14-Dec-16
Rod, I will see if I can find my old maps of the area up Cave Creek, I have done good on them up there in the past. Also if you come thru the Denver area on your travels and need a place to stay just let me know as we have plenty of room for you.

14-Dec-16
I'll be there this weekend through the middle of the week. The guys from Cabela's told me you'd see less traffic during the week. They also told me to get a deer tag because, like Tberg said, there is some big urban bucks around, and their rutting right now...

14-Dec-16
Ron, thanks, that's an offer you may live to regret, haha. Over the next few years, I would love to run north/south tours through many of the western states. As a kid, I watched all the western movies and TV shows of the day. Bonanza, The Rifleman, Paladin and many more. In those days the genre was still simply "cowboys and Indians". But the scenery, landscapes, topography, freedom and adventure had a powerful draw. I know times change, but many times, sitting within the landscape, it's easy to imagine that it hasn't.

I've always said that I'd happily trade all of Quebec for my choice of two or three western states. If that's not a good deal, then how about Ontario for just one?

Looking forward to sharing camp with you again this coming Wy antelope season, Ron.

14-Dec-16
Can't wait to hear and see how you made out, Buglmin!

I won't be hunting deer, but sure do want to see some!

14-Dec-16
Rod, we'll trade you California for Ontario! Package deal though! You have to take Pelosi, Boxer & all the rest of the libtards too!

Good luck on the javis!

14-Dec-16
Haha t-roy! Southern Ontario IS Southern California without the nice weather!!

14-Dec-16

Tberg's Link
Arizona State land is almost always signed and fenced. I'm not aware of any chip for that area. I use the premium Game planner map viewer to make maps and put them in the Avenza maps app on my smartphone, works just like a GPS. The Game planner map membership cost me $10 the Avenza app is free. The guy that owns Game Planner is from the Phoenix area and he hunts. Give him a call or email. He's as friendly and helpful as you'll find, great CS too. A lot of times mid January is peak rut for mulies in the desert and javis like sunshine in the morning that time of year. If you like to glass, I'd hunt the high points on the state land North of Cave creek. If your a still hunter, walk the larger washes. Javi's are never far from water and there's more of it up there than you'd think. The game planner is a good spot to do a little map scouting. They have a free version too!

14-Dec-16
Thanks, Tberg. I went to their website yesterday after seeing the map you posted above. I couldn't find Unit 25M, but I didn't register either. Unfortunately my phone is old enough it won't support many apps. , but for $10, I'll sign up and see what I can get though.

If I do get a javelina, I'm going to be busy sending out packages of Crown Royal and smoked salmon to all the contributors!!

14-Dec-16
Ambush, go to AZ G&F website, click hunting scroll down to additional info and click on Recreational Access Arizona Map. Then you can toggle the GMU's on and zoom in. It also has a toggle for the G&F water, not sure if any in your area.

15-Dec-16
Ambush, Just register and use the free map viewer. All the units are overlayed on topo and aerial maps. Its interactive and has a lot of overlays for landownership, water, etc. With the $10 membership you can download maps for your phone if it works with apps. The free version is plenty good, you can print all the maps you want, and there are a lot of states covered.

15-Dec-16
Rod, Good luck on the "Urban Renewal Hunt". Time to replace those old pigs and bucks with younger ones! You will like the weather, sand, rocks, vegetation versus the icebox we've had!

16-Dec-16
Thanks Kurt. You and I both need a break and we're both going to get one!! Do you think Arizona will much different then NWT?

I now have Game Planner Arizona. Have to do some virtual exploring and see how much of the info I'm tech-savvy enough to use. Might have to talk my wife into getting a new phone, so I can have her "old" one.

One step closer to flinging arrows at prickle pigs!!

24-Dec-16

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
Now this has GOT to be a sign!!!!

I was was just cleaning up and cleaning out some drawers of old hunting stuff.

And what did I find!?!?

Keeping in mind I've never even seen a javelina, never mind hunted them. Many years ago I bought a box of random calls some where.

25-Dec-16
I had an opportunity to bowhunt and take a Javi SE of Tuscon years ago, one of the most enjoyable hunts I've been on. Javi's are a bowhunters quarry, and the terrain they inhabit is beautiful, especially in Jan ! Good luck and post pics!

• Sitka Gear