mn_archer's embedded Photo
Joe, his wife Ann Marie, Thomas, and Joes father
Joe, his wife Ann Marie, Thomas, and Joes father
What are you bidding on?

Up for auction is an all-inclusive black bear hunt donated by Bowsites very own TSI, otherwise known as Trophy Safaris International. The winner of this auction will receive a full service bear hunt, winners choice of spring or fall, and which week (provided there is an opening). Once you get to camp the entire cost of the hunt is covered- including license. (does not include taxidermy or meat processing) 100% of the winning bid will go directly to the Rarey family.

This hunt will take place in southeastern New Brunswick, Canada out of TSI’s newer, modern lodge. The winner will be eating incredible home cooked meals daily, and will not go hungry. They hunt on both private and Crown land.

What will this benefit?

Many of you know my friend Joe Rarey by his Bowsite handle steve_jo. Joe is a Navy Veteran who served this great country for many years with honor and distinction. Due to his military service he has been suffering for quite some time with PTSD. This disease has put a tremendous strain on Joe and his family. Joe, his wonderful wife Ann Marie, and their two kids Thomas (6) and Maggie (1.5) have all been seriously affected by this and at this time Joe has been basically completely incapacitated. I first met Joe back in 2009 when he, myself, and fellow Bowsiter NvaGvUp (Kyle Meintzer) all met up in Idaho for an archery Elk hunt. Joe is one of the finest men I have ever had the pleasure of sharing a hunting camp with. It has been an absolute pleasure to watch him transform from a great man, to one of the most inspiring husbands and fathers you could ever imagine. Joe loves his family like they deserve to be loved, which is why I think this has been so tough for him. Right now he is unable to care for them, or himself for that matter. He is getting the treatment and medication that he needs, and is hopefully on the road to recovery.

They have applied for financial assistance with the VA, but in typical bureaucratic fashion, help isn’t coming very quickly. As a result, they have been crippled financially, and are in desperate need of our help. I have setup a go-fund-me account for their benefit, and between this auction and the donations we have received on that page we will be able to relieve some of the financial stress that they have been dealing with, and allow them to concentrate on Joe’s health. If you would like to help them but the bidding has surpassed what your able to contribute, you can checkout the go-fund-me page here- https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-rareys-battle-ptsd?ssid=834563822&pos=1

If Joe is feeling up to it, TSI will donate a second all-inclusive bear hunt for Joe to accompany the winner. Yes, a second totally FREE hunt to Joe if he is able to go with.

When does the auction end?

This auction will run from right now, till December, 24th at 10 pm central time. At exactly 10 pm central time Christmas Eve the highest bid will be declared the winner. I will contact the winner and make arrangements for payment. Once payment has been received I will notify TSI and the winner will then be able to make arrangements with TSI.

To bid on this hunt simply go onto this thread and make a post with your bid amount. If you would like to bid on this but wish to remain anonymous simply contact me with your bid, and I will post it under anonymous bidder #1 ,#2, etc. You can contact me either by pm here, email at [email protected] or call/text to 218 330-5632. I will keep a running tally of all bids on the second post on this thread. This will be updated often, but obviously not in real time so be sure to scan the last few posts to see where the current bid is.

Bowsite has been very gracious in allowing us to run this benefit auction here, but they are in no way affiliated with it, and can’t be held responsible should any issues arise. Thanks to Bowsite for allowing this, and a very special thank you to David Cole, owner of Trophy Safari International whom without this wouldn’t be happening. TSI is a sponsor here at Bowsite and you can check their website out at www.safarisinternational.com

Sportsmen have always led by example and we have always taken care of our own. Please join with me and bid on this great hunt for a great cause.

These pictures are some of the bears taken at TSI-

10-Dec-16
This is from Joes sister---

This is from my brother who is going through the most difficult time of his life - and believe me - he hasn't had it easy up until now.

"Can I have your attention please?

I am not an exceptionally lazy asshole indifferent to the suffering of my family.

I do not need tough love

Motivation is not what is missing

A job will not fix me

What has happened is very hard for me to accept. To become incapacitated, like this. To be unable to do even the simplest of tasks.

To watch my family stay with me as we have lost everything and hang now from the thinnest of threads.

It is very hard for me to accept that they would be better taken care of in my absence.

It’s hard to see that it’s me, my scarred personality which has alienated nearly everyone and seeming able bodied presence that continues to drag this out for them.

This is the point where the majority who are similarly affected as me kill themselves. They cannot swallow the shame of who they are.

I choked on it for a long time, but I’m staying.

Please don’t punish them because of me. I am getting treatment and medication for PTSD. I don’t know what the future holds. But as of right now, we need real help. We’re drowning and it is not fair to them."

That's my brother..... I know it's the holidays and everyone has a million things going on, but I ask please - whatever you can do. My brother, my sister-in-law, my 5 year old nephew and 1 year old niece live in a small RV on a friends property - no income, no ability to work. He is waiting for disability to come through but it is a long drawn-out process.

Anything they receive will be used for food, warm clothes and repairs to their RV. Help spread the word!

10-Dec-16
Running tally of the bids-

Mn_archer- $500

lineman21- $1,000

Hunt man- $1,100

greg simon $1,500

Medicinemann- $1,600

Pav- $2,000

Mark Watkins- $2,200

10-Dec-16
$1000

10-Dec-16

10-Dec-16
1100 from Montana! Hope Joe is able to beat this! Hunt

10-Dec-16
$1500

10-Dec-16

10-Dec-16
It must be Christmas!Great participation guys,keep paying it forward.

10-Dec-16
$1,600

10-Dec-16
Attaway, Jake!

10-Dec-16
Ttt

11-Dec-16
$2,000

11-Dec-16
Way to go, Pav!

11-Dec-16
Pav you made my day!

11-Dec-16
ttt

11-Dec-16
Way to go, Paul and TSI.

11-Dec-16
ttt

11-Dec-16
Hope they got the roof secured

11-Dec-16
$2,200

Mark

11-Dec-16
I think they are secured from the weather again.

Mark, thanks so much for the bid!

michael

11-Dec-16
Way to go, Mark Watkins!

11-Dec-16
$2.400.00....c'mon Watkins, you're not gonna let an old man outbid you , now are you??!! Think of the time and effort that you saved by killing a bighorn ram on the first day....Now, take that saved energy, channel it into your fingers, and beat my bid, you cupcake!! LOL

11-Dec-16
Honestly Jake....you can kill all four species if NA sheep AND a mountain goat in 7 months on 5 hunts if I remember correctly... remember, I'm batting only batting .333 on sheep! I'm kind of like Nedly on this (one and ONLY way)! Mark

11-Dec-16
$2,600

Mark

11-Dec-16
"I'm kinda like Nedly on this (one and ONLY way)!! Considering the email that I sent to you earlier today, THAT is hilarious!!

11-Dec-16
Get em boys !!

12-Dec-16
You guys ROCK!

12-Dec-16
ttt

12-Dec-16
ttt

14-Dec-16
ttt

15-Dec-16
Christmas Eve getting close.

23-Dec-16
Today is the final day

23-Dec-16
Good deal there Dave, many people without hope around the world we try and help wherever we can to make things a little brighter in times of sorrow.

23-Dec-16
They actually have till 10 pm tomorrow. Christmas Eve. Time is running out guys.

I did receive a text with a bid but have been unable to reach that person and unless I do Mark Watkins is the highest bidder.

About 33 hours left if you want to get in on this special opportunity

Thanks again

Michael

24-Dec-16
Little over 12 hours on this clock

24-Dec-16
Tick...,, tick .... tick ....

24-Dec-16
2 hours...

24-Dec-16
42 minutes if anyone wants to get In on this...

24-Dec-16
10pm fellas Thanks to everyone involved especially TSI for the donation, Bowsite for allowing this auction, and Mr Mark Watkins whow is the winning bidder.

Mark I'll send you a pm tomorrow with payment instructions. Once the a rareys notify me that payment was received I'll notify TSI

Again. Thank you all

Michael

25-Dec-16
Ok, update for everyone involved and interested.

Mr Mark Watkins won the hunt at $2600. He will be sending payment off soon but in the interest of generating as much money as possible for the Rarey family he has donated the hunt back, for us to auction off again. There is only once caveat- we need to reach a minimum bid of $1300 on the second auction. If the auction ends and we haven't reached a minimum bid of $1300 it falls back to Mark. If we reach the $1300 amount we will have generated a total of $3900 from this one bear hunt!

So starting right now, and ending 10 days from now, Wednesday 1/4/17 at 10 pm central time you have another chance to win this great hunt and help out the Rarey family.

thanks again to Bowsite, TSI, and Mark Watkins for all their generosity and help

michael

25-Dec-16
Mark Watkins,

Well done! My hat's off to you!

Kyle

25-Dec-16
$1,300

25-Dec-16
Is there a way to determine what Spring weeks still have openings, versus which weeks have no openings?

25-Dec-16
Jake.

TSI will know.

But as I recall, if your preferred date in the spring of 2017 isn't available, he'll move you back until your preferred dates are available

26-Dec-16
ttt

27-Dec-16
Jake there's three weeks with openings from May 14 thru June 3.There is possible single spots that could be open in June.The hunt can be fall or even spring 2018.

27-Dec-16
TSI,

What dates do you consider as the most productive for having a chance at a big bruin?

28-Dec-16
Still plenty of time to get in on this

29-Dec-16
Historically most big boars are taken between May 15-June 30.peak is May 25-June 25but this is when there is a spike in hunting pressure so it's balanced by odds.We usually like to see one in four harvest huge males 350-600lb some weeks we get as good as 50% very large males.Weather,food cycles and hunter error are the biggest limiting factors.Sept and early October also yield a high percentage of feeding large males rather than breeding males.

31-Dec-16
Bid it UP. guys!

31-Dec-16
Alright fellas. Its new years eve, are we really going to let Kyle get this for $1300? If you have been thinking about a Canadian bear hunt check out tsi's website. He kills some monsters every year.

01-Jan-17
Checked TSI website...does not appear to have been updated, in terms of hunting dates, since 2013 or so.

01-Jan-17
stubbleduck we hadn't looked after the website in years mainly because we had more interest than we could handle and any vacant spots we could fill rather quickly by word of mouth or posting them.TSI has never done shows or advertised outside of Bowsite or word of mouth in over 20yrs ,which allows us to pass those savings on to the clients with economically affordable hunts for above average animals that normally cost much more.We regularly update here on threads in the bear section.Dates available are posted in the Christmas giveaway thread for 2017.We do plan to update the website soon.Any questions with respect to dates etc I can be texted anytime at 1 506 434 3818 or e-mailed and through the PM system here.TSI

03-Jan-17
TSI... A comment only, not intended as a criticism. My apologies if it seemed to be the latter. From personal experience I know websites are a pain to keep current. In your case apparently not worth the cost / effort.

03-Jan-17
about 1 1/2 days to get in on this...

04-Jan-17
Last day ttt.

04-Jan-17
6 hours left

If you want to see exactly what Joe has gone through read his post on "a bowsiterrible needs help" thread.

One more chance on a great hunt for a great cause

Michael

04-Jan-17
Michael,

I can't find a thread with that name.

Gotta' link?

04-Jan-17
i was driving down the road silly auto correct....

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=459351&messages=79&forum=36#4335368

04-Jan-17
Edit that out.

Congratulations Kyle thanks again. I got your private message and I'll take care of that tonight as she said we had an Unexpected death in the family. I'm not sure if dying when you're in your 90s is all that unexpected but surprising I should say.

I wanted to just take a quick break and check in with you guys and let you know that I really appreciate what you done and I'll get in touch with you TSI and you Kyle shortly here when I get out of here and get back home

05-Jan-17
Nice work guys...I wish I had the extra funds....I would have at least ran Kyle up a little:) Glad I read the post earlier before the edit and hope you go far with your goals Michael!

Matt

09-Jan-17
Thanks Matt, we shall see...

A friend just did a 180 mile ultra this weekend in northern Wisconsin on his fat bike on snowmobile trails. Finished in 23 hours 58 minutes. I think the temperature never got above 10F. 3 years ago he was 280 lbs, today he is 170ish and owes it all to biking and motivation such as mine.

I just wanted to thank you all one more time. Joe has been a regular poster on facebook lately and he has sent me several messages. He has helped me as much as we have helped him in dealing with some issues. He has a tough road ahead and you have all done a great thing to help ease the burden. TSI, Mark Watkins, NvaGvUp, and the rest of you have all done far more than was expected especially having this all go down over a time of year when finances are a little snug for everyone.

Again, thanks for everything- especially to Pat and Bowsite for giving us a place to make a difference.

michael

• Sitka Gear