loesshillsarcher 23-Jan-17
gunslinger 23-Jan-17
huntmaster 23-Jan-17
Mad Trapper 24-Jan-17
Tilzbow 24-Jan-17
huntmaster 24-Jan-17
kota-man 26-Jan-17
24-Dec-16
After consulting with several guys on here and then talking with different outfitters in the NWT, I booked with RH last year at the sheep show for a 2018 hunt.

Last night I got an email from Stan stating that he has sold his area to the natives out of Norman Wells and that he will refund the deposit money or you can continue the booking with the natives.

Well, I seriously doubt I will rebook with the natives running the show unless it is very heavy on the trophy fee side.

Business is business, so hard to hold anything against Stan, so now I'm on the lookout for another hunt to fill that gap.

24-Dec-16
Tough deal Scott. I feel for you. I thought very hard about booking with them for a hunt next year, but chose another outfit, or I would be in the exact situation. I completely agree that it would be tough to stay with the new outfit considering the lack of knowledge and experience they have in that area. I wish you the best of luck finding a hunt at sheep show next month. I'll be there to buy you a "condolence" drink.

25-Dec-16
Guys talk to stan a little more as I think hes staying on for 2 years and megan is still going to be flying if the natives pay her the same, its a great area and as far as all of us know the guides are staying on also, and if you can get one of the guides your in great shape, look into guys as there is still a great area.

25-Dec-16
Pat, I haven't talked with Stan yet, but here is an excerpt of the email he sent me...

"Hi Scott

I will try and call you tomorrow.

We have sold our hunting area to the Indians from Norman Wells We had put together a management plan to run the hunts and to train the new people. But a couple of days ago they called and told me that they did not need our help. So none of our guides and so far none of our hunters will be going with them. We have no Idea who will be running the hunts."

It sounds like the idea of a couple year transition has fallen thru. I emailed Stan since I'm on vacation with the family, but he said he was going to be at the sheep show, so I will definable talk to him then if not before.

Zack, I'll take you up on the condolence drink or two! I mean what's the worst case, I get to book two hunts this winter. Didn't you book with Gana?

26-Dec-16
Hope it's not the Tuttulik tribe.

(Couldn't resist!)

29-Dec-16
I heard that it's not the Indians that are going to be running the area, That they have hired outside management to run things. Might be worth having a second look into

02-Jan-17
Wow jees that is crazy, yup would deffinitly be looking into it

19-Jan-17
Someone has to be first to hunt with the new outfit......I'm going archery Dall sheep hunting July 15, 2017.........less than 6 months away.

20-Jan-17
Congrats Kurt! I wish AK would let us start in July so that I could give up fishing for good :)

20-Jan-17
Kurt, May your luck of 2016 continue with you this year....you are on a roll!!

Keep us posted as we are anxious to hear about Canol and their operations.

Mark

20-Jan-17
Best of luck to you Kurt.

20-Jan-17
Canol is auctioning off a hunt at tomorrow's Grand Final Banquet at the Sheep Show. Stan had done this for years and I'm hoping the fact Canol didn't drop the donation is a good sign the new owners will carry on the quality of the hunts. They may have been locked into the donation as part of the sale agreement or they may have made a good decision to carry on.

20-Jan-17
What is the difference between Canol Outfitters and Ram Head Outfitters?

20-Jan-17

tadpole's embedded Photo
My sheep with Ram Head 1999
tadpole's embedded Photo
My sheep with Ram Head 1999
What is the difference between Canol Outfitters and Ram Head Outfitters?

20-Jan-17
Canol Outfitters are the new owners of Ramshead as of this past month or so.

20-Jan-17
Dead sheep walking somewhere in the Mackenzie Mountains!! And a new slammer! Go get'em , Kurt.

21-Jan-17
Here's a little more info on this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/sahtu-secretariat-ram-head-outfitters-1.3938613

This was kept very quiet up here in the NWT.

22-Jan-17
The auction hunt from Canole was pulled from tonight's auction.

22-Jan-17
The article link above indicates the outfit will be managed by a woman named Glenda Groat, who the Sahtu representative called "a godsend".

I did just a little research online and it appears as if Glenda is the real deal.

Anyone know her?

22-Jan-17
Good luck Kurt!!

After researching this pretty heavy over the past month and several good calls with Glenda and her references, I was seriously thinking about moving my 2018 hunt up to 2017 before heading to the sheep show.

Now after three days of talking with everyone out here, I am going to be hunting with them on the second hunt this July.

Glenda has a big support crowd in the industry from my discussions and I think Glenda and her team will do just fine. There likely will be a few logistical hiccups along the way as she makes the transition from guide to outfitter, but the area is great and the sheep are there.

Now I get to switch gears and start thinking about SHEEP hunting this fall!!

22-Jan-17
Thanks for the well wishes......much appreciated!

For logistics reasons I switched out to the third hunt a couple of days ago since I am driving up to the Yukon/NWT border rather than fly through Yellowknife/Norman Wells. Can't get a sheep plugged (registered) out there until toward mid-August. For me the drive adds to the adventure and provides flexibility versus flying commercial.....nice if you have the time.

Huntmaster......have a great hunt, keep on touch!

23-Jan-17
I know Glenda. She guided for an outfitter that I hunted Stones with. She was not my guide but I saw her work ethic and ability to handle horses. She seemed to be tough as nails. I know she has been a successful guide in the past and wish her well managing this area.

23-Jan-17
great meeting up with ya buddy here at the sheep show, given Glenda a chance to prove herself is the way to go and she will do her best guarantee, that was so funny I was talking about this post to your face and it was you eh, hahah good luck man and have a blast

23-Jan-17
Lol! Thanks Pat!

I was debating on how long I was going to let you tell the story!!

Not sure if it was the cocktails or the fall you took earlier in the pack race, but either way, I'll give you a pass!! Lol!!

24-Jan-17
It was my understanding that the business was pruchased by natives. Is Glenda a native? Just wondering. Sounds like you will be in good hands. Good Luck!

24-Jan-17
She's running the outfit for the buyers per a discussion I had with a BC outfitter at the Sheep Show. The outfitter knows her well and had nothing but great things to say about her.

24-Jan-17
Correct. The natives have purchased the hunting area and have hired Glenda to setup and run the operation for them.

26-Jan-17
and that is the "million dollar/$64 question" right now.

• Sitka Gear