cnelk 26-Dec-16
cnelk 26-Dec-16
IdyllwildArcher 26-Dec-16
Wis125 28-Dec-16
BOHNTR 28-Dec-16
longbow 29-Dec-16
COLO 3-D 29-Dec-16
26-Dec-16
so I'm looking at doing a high country mule deer hunt next sept. I have been saving pts for wy, but don't have enough yet. I know it's not an easy task. But hoping this hunt will give me some experience and Ill have an idea of what I'm doing when I do draw Wyoming. Right now I'm looking at leftover tags for Colorado. I have yet to call out to the fish and game or a biologist. Was hoping you guys might be able to point me into the right direction first. Not looking to kill a booner. Mostly just looking for glassing and stalking opportunities. Any info would be great. Thanks

26-Dec-16
You won't find a High Country unit in the left overs

26-Dec-16
Are you not wanting to apply in CO because you don't want to burn your points? Do you have zero points?

I'd recommend you apply in UT and NV. If you want a sure thing, there's plenty of UT hunts in the general buck draw that you can draw even if you have zero points. Or you can go long and wait till all the draws are done and look for leftovers then, but if you really want a hunt...

Also might want to add what kind of hunt you're looking for... Guided? Unguided? Horses or not? How far are you willing to hike in?

26-Dec-16
He is not asking for a "high country unit". Just a unit with leftovers that has some high country to hunt with some potential for bucks. I suspect there are quite a few of those.

26-Dec-16
"He is not asking for a "high country unit". Just a unit with leftovers that has some high country to hunt with some potential for bucks. I suspect there are quite a few of those."

Umm... in Colorado?

26-Dec-16
Yepper.

26-Dec-16
And now with the turn back licenses, he may even get a dandy they leftovers

26-Dec-16
If he's lucky. I wouldn't rely on that if he really wanted to do a hunt. Those tags were very low in numbers and a hot ticket. Next year, the word's going to be out even more I bet.

EDIT: If you have points everywhere and don't want to blow them (and that's why you want a leftover), post that and I and others will PM you some ideas.

28-Dec-16
I'm a diy hunter. Without horses. Ive been 8 miles in on an Idaho bear hunt. But we bit off a little more than we could chew. I'd say 2-3 miles. I don't have pts in any other state than wy. Again just looking for a starting point where I would have a chance at drawing w/o pts or leftovers.

28-Dec-16
There are several high country units you can draw with no points.......study the draw stats, pick a unit, and get ready to go.

29-Dec-16
Been in some 0 point units in CO and NV, found decent bucks and most were not very far from the road in places I would never expect to find them in, in NON wilderness settings.

Get a tag go and have fun, and get in shape!!! Even the short walk stuff about killed this flatlander.

29-Dec-16
BOHNTR, gave some good advice. There are services like GoHunt that you can join to look at draw statistics, or you can just dig in to the Colorado CPW website and start researching now. Points are over rated and in my opinion you can have a high quality hunt without points.

• Sitka Gear