Kevin™ 02-Apr-17
Kevin™ 02-Apr-17
Kevin™ 02-Apr-17
bghunter 05-Apr-17
Kevin™ 05-Apr-17
21-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Rob said I should post a pic from our "lightest meal" of the trip...

Semi live hunt to follow.

21-Jan-17
Tell Rob and John I said hello and keep some Dickel stocked at the bar, because I ain't through with those little flea factories yet !

And good luck !

21-Jan-17
You are in for a real treat with them. Listen to their instructions and you will be in good shape.

I'm with Derycreek- want another shot at "flea control".

21-Jan-17
Best "hunting food" anywhere!! Is Juanita still the cook...? Say hello to Rob from me. Have fun!!

21-Jan-17
Greg, say the word ! I'm your huckleberry !

22-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Lunch time at Pappadeaux

22-Jan-17
Cinco was fun. I already wanna go back!

22-Jan-17
Papadeaux's is worth the plane ticket to SA! Am I right?

22-Jan-17
Kevin

If you're still there, as Rob to tell you the story of his son and the F word.......

23-Jan-17
Steve- no, I am back home now. Adjusting back to "normal" life. I would weigh 500 lbs if there was a Pappadeaux nearby. The food and service was amazing.

I didn't hear that story. I'll have to get it next year.

23-Jan-17
Where are some hunting results photos? Wanna see some fleas !!

Did ya'll just eat and drink and no hunting?

23-Jan-17
I love that place!!! Please keep the pics coming. Although I can't go this year... There is an Alberta contingent there this weekend!!!

23-Jan-17
Did u kill anything?

23-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Prickly pear blood trail
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Prickly pear blood trail
Sorry for the delay.

Unpacking..Tending to the kids and back to reality .

More pics and story to come.

23-Jan-17
At least you got blood !! Looking forward to story.

23-Jan-17
^^^^^^^^^ By all means ! Stories and LDPs are what we want ! :)

23-Jan-17
We should probably start at the beginning.

I had been looking forward to this trip for a long time even before I booked with Rob. I always thought someday I would make it down to the ranch.

But as the time for the trip rolled around emotions went from excitement to sadness.

My grandmother passed away two weeks before the hunt. It wasn't unexpected as she was in her mid 90s and have lived a long life but it was a loss nonetheless.

But the saddest news came the weekend before we were scheduled to fly out to Texas. My father-in-law and hunting partner called to tell my wife that his younger sister had passed. To say this was heartbreaking was an understatement.

Even though my father-in-law was no longer going he still wanted me to go, as did my wife.

Due to crappiest of circumstances I was off to Texas alone.

23-Jan-17
The flight was unremarkable and that was OK. The 90 lbs woman who reclined her seat into my limited personal space was not OK. I didn't even have room to hold up a book to read.

I literally had to run to make my connection. Literally. I have to pee so bad. I just made my connection.

On the original flight I had an open seat next to me . Not so here. They must have sold my father in-laws seat.

23-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
My Texas hunting rig
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
My Texas hunting rig
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Sighting in
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Sighting in
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
I rented a car in San Antonio and had an uneventful drive to the ranch. Checked in with Rob, had a quick orientation and got my room.

I shot a couple of arrows to make sure everything was still on after being handled by airline baggage handlers.

I spent the rest of the day driving the ranch with my guide John.

As a side note the room was great. Not what I am used to while hunting. It would rival all but the high end hotels.

23-Jan-17
After a restful nights sleep I am up before six AM. I get dressed and have a cup of coffee and a light snack before John takes me out to my blind.

23-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
The buck
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
The buck
First morning on a stand called turkey. I can already hear a deer blowing at me . Turned out to be a wide buck that didn't like me. I can hear turkeys calling in the distance.

A nice black hog cruised through but never stopped. I would have taken a shot if he had stopped. Looked like a good one

As the sun came up I saw my very first green Jay. They are beautiful birds. Then came a flock of Cardinals. The drab scrub was alive with the colorful birds.

The fog is rolling in as the sun rises. Everything in front of me is slowly disappearing into the fog.

In the rays of sunshine filtering through the east window of my stand i can see the fog slowly spilling into my blind

Slowly the sun gets high enough to bake off the fog and return the blue skies.

23-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
After a hearty breakfast I was out stalking the roads. Having grown up treestand hunting whitetails I suck at stalking, but the afternoon is fun. Only two little Javelina tempted fate by being close enough for a shot. But I passed on those.

I saw my first road runner while out stalking. I thought they would be bigger and wondered why a coyote would devote so much time trying to eat one.

23-Jan-17
I was back at camp after my hike (stalking) and had lunch. Juanita was assigned to cook elsewhere so Rob was camp chef. Rob really knows how to cook. I don't eat this well back home. As you can see from the first picture I posted.

23-Jan-17
For the evening hunt John took me to a pop up blind . It wasn't looking good.no pigs or Javelina were showing up, but a nice 8 pointer was keeping me company

Then they all came. My first herd of javelinas came into the stand. They are such neat animals I sat back and watched the Show.

23-Jan-17
I wanted to shoot the most aggressive Javelina. He was pretty nasty to his buddies and his left ear was split from fighting. Lots of character. But I couldn't shoot him. Ranch rules excluded the killing of white Javelina and the one I had my eye on was pale and caked in mud. I couldn't tell if he was so I passed on him.

I picked the next biggest Javelina that was jet black. I had to wait a long time for that Javelina to come back to my left in front of the blind window that was low enough to shoot through. Just as he cleared the window for a shot two baby Javelinas walked behind him.

23-Jan-17
I waited.

23-Jan-17
The backdrop was finally clear. I drew and held just above the front leg. Knowing the Javelina heart is low and forward.

23-Jan-17
At the shot everything went wrong. The text to my wife was: f***, f***, f***, shot too low, f***.

The Javelina was so close I ended up shooting way low.

I should have used my 50 yard pin instead of my 20.

I attempted to put another arrow into it as it spun in circles, but cleanly missed.

I was bummed. Quick clean kills are what I strive for and this wasn't good.

I took a shower after an amazing dinner to wash off the shame.

24-Jan-17
It's day #2 and John takes me to a new stand for the morning.

I am up in an elevated box blind that probably should be condemned. It looks like it has seen better days. I waited to see if the stand would hold my weight before nocking an arrow. All was good. I settled in and got ready to enjoy the morning.

I can hear turkeys gobbling in the distance again.

24-Jan-17
Just had a black hog come in the semi- dark. He freaked out and ran away but came back enough to hang out behind me and growl. That is not a fun sound to hear in the dark.

The feeder went off. No corn. Luckily John my guide put some down before he left.

Just heard hogs squealing close to me in the bush.

24-Jan-17
Three javi's came in and milled around for a while. The biggest two never gave me a shot before they walked off.

Only the smallest has stayed at the feeder.

The little one is just teasing me now. Just eating quartering away. Giving me perfect shot angles

Be strong . Wait for a bigger one.... I've watched this one for close to half and hour.

At one point the Javelina tensed up and bristled as it looked to my left. I saw the big hog across the dike from us for a few seconds before it went down into a ravine and out of sight.

24-Jan-17
I think I killed my hog out of that blind Kevin :) Plywood with a green screen front? That thing scared me half to death :)

24-Jan-17
Hogs there are smart!!! They play the wind all the time...

24-Jan-17
Bake, that's the one.

24-Jan-17
My self control had run out. I took Rob's advice and waited for the Javelina to quarter away and took the shot. The Javelina dropped and died on the spot.

Apparently I suck at field judging Javelina. Worse than I suck at stalking.

We weighed it. 50#. Wow. Wasn't small at all. Nice chompers too. Can't believe I almost passed on him.

24-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
My first Javelina
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
My first Javelina
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
My guide John conducting some flea control
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
My guide John conducting some flea control

24-Jan-17
If you saw any skeletons out in that hellacious brush Kevin, they might be mine !

24-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
On the way back for lunch John spots a big black hog feeding on a road. I attempt a stalk. I am surprised how close I eventually get to the hog, but I learn later when I am sneaking off the road through the prickly pear the hog spooks and trots away. Fun stuff.

24-Jan-17
After breakfast I am back out trying my hand at stalking. I am struck by how peaceful and so incredibly hot Texas is in January.

I jump a covey of quail. What beautiful little birds.

First stalk attempt of the afternoon I spy 3 javelina. As it always seems to work I have to get through a small one to get to the bigger ones.

I am also not attempting long range shots at the Javelina. Don't want to wound another one with a low percentage shot. I'm going to keep my shots under 20 yards.

I eventually moved passed the little one to the two others. They are within 15 yards but I couldn't get a shot And then they all started snorting and entered the scrub.

I came around a bend in the road and saw a large herd of javelinas. I try to cut the distance but then I hear a truck coming. The Javelina scatter as the cowboys out working drive through .

24-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
The tank
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
The tank
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
At the blind for the night hunt.

The blind is named Loma Linda blue. - it makes me laugh the name reminds me of a strain of weed you'd get at one of those California dispensaries.

The stand location is beautiful. It's located on a high point with a giant clearing and tank to the right (in Texas they call ponds tanks). I would put a house or cabin right on this spot. It is that nice.

I wasn't even in the blind and a whole herd of hogs came in. Then they all ran off except for one lone black one.

Then a turkey came. it's feathers are so iridescent.

I saw a HAMP colored pig in the group. I want that pig.

24-Jan-17
A big eight pointer just walked by the blind.

24-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Blood trail
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Blood trail
A White Javelina showed up but never came into the blind. Since he was solo I think he was probably a male. But since I can't judge Javelina I have no idea how big he was.

A second black hog has come in. He is really small compared to the first pig. Now I'm thinking about shooting the pig thats been here since I got in the blind.

I'm thinking if the first hog quarters away I might take the shot .

24-Jan-17
Shot taken. Looks perfect.

24-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Looks like a lung shot
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Looks like a lung shot
I am beyond stoked. Black hog down.

24-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
House of the hunters
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
House of the hunters
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Cinco
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Cinco
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
At the skinning shack he weighs in at #75. Good meat hog. Think he will be turned into chorizo.

24-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
It's time for another amazing dinner and a cocktail.

Tomorrow is my last day to try for another Javelina.

25-Jan-17
Back out at Loma Linda blue before first light.

So peaceful out here. From the blind I can see city lights down below me. I think it's the town of el indio or maybe eagle pass. I forgot to ask which. It's my First look at civilization from the ranch in three days.

25-Jan-17
Big Javelina came to the edge and then left.

Lone hog did the same. I'm starting to think the wind isn't right for this stand.

25-Jan-17
A couple hogs came in and ate. But then they quickly left.

The green jays, Cardinals and grackles are stuffing their stomachs.

25-Jan-17
A herd of javelinas has come in . A couple of males and lone female with an immature Javelina or "red" are feeding in front of me.

25-Jan-17
I still couldn't tell which one was the biggest.

After watching them for a while there was one that was a complete jerk to the others. He needed to quarter away..

25-Jan-17
Great that you got an eater to go with the Jav's. How come all chorizo on a small pig - lot of good eating with straight cuts that size.

25-Jan-17
Love me some chorizo and I have other hogs in the freezer that haven't been touched.

25-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Blood!
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Blood!
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Can you see him?
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Can you see him?
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
How about now?
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
How about now?
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Center of the prickly pear maze
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Center of the prickly pear maze
After my bad shot on the Javelina on my first day I am taking my time and making sure I have a perfect shot.

The Javelina that's been biting and harrasing the other Javelina has moved to my right. I need him to come back to the left for a shot.

He finally has lined up for the shot but twice now I have drawn and had to let down because he turned quickly giving me a bad shot angle.

Third time's a charm. I can the blood pouring out of his chest as he runs maybe 20 yards into the prickly pear. I can see a scrub tree shaking and then nothing.

I start to follow the blood trail.

25-Jan-17
Thank God for John my guide because I really don't know how I would have gotten him out of there without being covered in cactus thorns.

I still stink at field judging Javelina. The Javelina I arrowed was just shy of sixty pounds.

As a side note next time I am bringing a pair of those yellow leather gloves. I was picking cactus out of my hands from dragging my hog that ran through the prickly pear. Not fun.

25-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
January in texas
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
January in texas
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Kevin™'s embedded Photo

25-Jan-17
Ill be there on the 8th. Cant wait. Cant believe docs blind is still in that tree. See any bipedal critters around lomalinda blue?

25-Jan-17
No bipedals. The river is up 5 feet and moving.

25-Jan-17
Great adventure and sharing of story. 60 lb jave is a very nice sized animal. I'm betting record book material.

25-Jan-17
Thank you.

Hopefully next year I can share the hunt with my father in-law Bob.

25-Jan-17
Good write-up Kevin ! Makes me yearn for the cactus country again, and the food ain't too shabby either !

26-Jan-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
River is up. Mexico is on the left.
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
River is up. Mexico is on the left.
Thanks Dry Creek.

02-Apr-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Big chompers.
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Big chompers.
I saw Rob and Jon at the Wisconsin deer and turkey expo on Friday and Rob brought me a present.

The european mount of my Javelina skull had come back from the taxidermist.

The teeth on these things are unreal.

02-Apr-17
oh man, this sucks. I quit going to the deer and turkey as i hate the crowds and really didnt enjoy it, but I would have went just to say hI to Rob. Great guy and runs an awesome hunt operation.

02-Apr-17
How does one trademark their name

02-Apr-17
Grant,

It's part of the triple diamond membership experience that Pat offers through the Bowsite VIP club.

02-Apr-17

02-Apr-17

Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Javelina
Kevin™'s embedded Photo
Javelina

05-Apr-17
oh man, this sucks. I quit going to the deer and turkey as i hate the crowds and really didnt enjoy it, but I would have went just to say hI to Rob. Great guy and runs an awesome hunt operation.

05-Apr-17
Shawn,

There is always next January for a hog and Javelina hunt with Rob.

• Sitka Gear