Jaquomo 27-Jan-17
Jaquomo 27-Jan-17
Griz34 27-Jan-17
Jaquomo 27-Jan-17
squirrel 28-Jan-17
PECO 28-Jan-17
27-Jan-17

brettpsu's Link
Not looking good for the basin......bummer.

27-Jan-17
Man, that sucks. Hate seeing that area getting hammered again.

27-Jan-17
definitely a bummer! May be a very very bad year for the elk and deer especially with 3 months of winter remaining.

27-Jan-17
3 Months? We can wish.

Most of the really bad winter kills happen in April/May when we get some warm ups and rain on top of the snow followed by a cold snap (seen -40 in April several times!). Crusted snow and the deer can't get to anything to eat. Doesn't seem to hurt the elk as bad because they can still get around to dig for food thru the crust and have more body mass to keep some body heat for longer but absolutely murders the deer...

27-Jan-17
Good to see they are acting early. Now if people will just comply.

27-Jan-17
Treeline...I hate to be a knit picker, but the record low for Colorado in the month of April is 4 degrees on April 12th 1997.

27-Jan-17
In fact the record low in Colorado is -24 on December 20th 1990. So if you're talking Colorado you've never seen -40....just sayin'.

27-Jan-17
Griz, not sure where you're getting your information but it must be based in Denver. Granby has officially recorded -17 in April in 1975. That's official, but inversions produce lower temps where official weather stations don't exist. We've seen it that cold at our mountain place in April too. It hits -30 and below in the high mountain valleys all during the winter. I've ice fished when it was -35 on the Walden town thermometer.

27-Jan-17
Colorado's official lowest temperature is -61 in Maybell (major deer, elk and pronghorn winter range) on Feb 1, 1985.

If I remember correctly there was a pretty big winterkill that year.

27-Jan-17
Dang it, i was looking at Denver. I guess that's what I get for trying to be a smart ass.

27-Jan-17
The record low for Gunnison, where this immediate concern is located, is -60. -40 in that basin is ho-hum when inversions drop in.

28-Jan-17
We were at -35 just a while ago and we aren't even in a cold spot, just threw a tarp over the tomatoes... Made me want to go south for a desert coues hunt, much safer down there where I can't get frost bit.

I wish they would ban access rather than activities though, maybe it is politically un-workable, too many fiefdoms?

28-Jan-17
When l lived in Leadville, there were too many -25 degree days in the winter, and record low that I saw at my house was -45.

• Sitka Gear