loesshillsarcher 16-Feb-17
Treeline 16-Feb-17
geoffp 14-Mar-17
Nick Muche 15-Mar-17
geoffp 15-Mar-17
El Je-bow 04-Nov-23
redneck hunter 04-Nov-23
28-Jan-17
Guys, I am in final planning stages for my July archery dall sheep hunt with Nahanni Butte (Lancaster). Would anyone be willing to help with some questions. Primarily, best airport to fly to, that has flights to Ft Simpson, what to expect, lessons learned, etc.

Thanks! Geoff Patti

28-Jan-17
I think that I went through Yellow Knife.

28-Jan-17
If you didn't book through BSC ask your Outfitter any pertinent questions. I booked two years in advance and had plenty of time to get all logistics lined up! Had a great hunt there is 2005! Good luck! C

28-Jan-17
What size pack would you suggest for this 8-10 day hunt?

28-Jan-17
7000 should be big enough to haul out your gear and ram :)

28-Jan-17
I will be at a base tent and not hike with all gear each day, so I am planning on a 5200 pack. All of my gear fits in it pretty good for 8 days. I am only 5'5", 150 lbs, so not a lot of "material" in my clothes!

28-Jan-17
Geoffp,

I know one of their guides and will gladly help any way I can.

Have you been on a sheep hunt before? If so, with who, how many and what type (backpack, heli, horse or super cub)?

PM me and we can talk this week.

Mark

28-Jan-17
Thanks, Mark! PM sent.

28-Jan-17
5,200 ci may fit all your gear, but you need to factor in 8 days of food (~2,000 ci) and/or 1/2 a ram as well. 7,000 ci is a sensible minimum IMO.

28-Jan-17
Roger that, Matt. That has been sitting in the back of my head for a while. I guess it's time to make the move!

29-Jan-17
Hey Geoff

Mark will fill you in and he knows the game! If you want to discuss further PM me and we'll set up a time to talk.

-Bill

29-Jan-17
Good stuff. I did receive a call from my guide, Jim Lancaster, last night and he cleared up some questions. But still looking forward to talking to you, Mark.

Thanks bliz6. I will let you know if I need some further guidance.

14-Feb-17
Geoff- I had a great sheep hunt with Jim in 2015. I'll be back up there this year, but a couple weeks later than you. I'll send you a PM so you can contact me if you'd like. Alan

15-Feb-17
Regarding your pack size, it will depend on how you are getting to your camp. If you are using a chopper, plane or horses, you can probably get by with something in the 5000 range. If you are hiking in, you will probably want something on the order of 6000-7000. If there is a strong likelihood that you may have to move camp on foot during the hunt, you will likely need a larger pack. Ask the Lancasters. They have been doing this forever. They know what you need and don't need. Most guides will go over every piece of gear and clothing that goes into your pack before you leave camp. You may be surprised at what gear never makes it onto the mountain. No need to pack it in the first place if you are not going to take it out on the mountain, except for perhaps a spare bow and repair equipment. Ask your outfitter. They know best.

16-Feb-17
Would love to talk with you after your hunt. I'm booked for July of 2018.

16-Feb-17
I was there in 1983 and it was only a 35 mile pack-in (1 way) to get to the Sheep. Looks like it is way easier now.

16-Feb-17
Last time I was up there shared a charter flight out of Yellowknife I believe. Flew right into Nahanni base camp which has an airstrip nearby. Just an idea

16-Feb-17
I hunted up there with Gana River and flew into Norman Wells then from there to the lodge on a separate charter. Like Mad Trapper said - would imagine that they will have info for all the logistics and gear you will need.

Not sure how to get a link in here, but maybe you can cut and paste to the story about the hunt that I did over on the Leatherwall that might get you fired up for your adventure:

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=241718&category=88#3298812

If that doesn't work, try the title: "Longbow Mountain Caribou"

Good Luck!

14-Mar-17
Treeline - great story! Thanks for sharing. Mission accomplished. I am fired up!

15-Mar-17
I'd bring a quality pack that can hold everything you'd ever need but also be cinched down to accommodate a lesser load if your situation allows it. There are several 6-7000+ CI packs out there that can meet those criteria. Have a great Bowhunt and I hope you shoot a great ram!

15-Mar-17
Thanks, Nick. I will be sure to report back after my hunt.......hopefully with a good story!

04-Nov-23
Trying to resurrect this thread as I’m closing in on my August 2024 Dall hunt with the Lancasters. If any of you have direct experience with them and care to reach out to me or I can contact you I’d greatly appreciate it! Super excited after 4 years of waiting!! Thanks.

04-Nov-23
Hunted moose with Jim and Clay twice. Great guys and run a good camp. Jim is very good to talk to and just a good honest guy.

If I had any questions, I'd call him first. I was gonna hunt sheep in 2020 but COVID changed things and it likely won't happen now.

If I ever return though, Nahanni is where I would go. ( Honestly all of the NWT outfitters are superb).

• Sitka Gear