LKH 06-Feb-17
wildwilderness 07-Feb-17
cnelk 07-Feb-17
slapshot 07-Feb-17
LKH 07-Feb-17
wildwilderness 07-Feb-17
LKH 08-Feb-17
06-Feb-17
I've got 18 points for deer. With this many points what are some of the best options. As a NR I can't do the ranching units. My criteria are reasonable access and decent amounts of public land. I've got a couple mid 150 archery bucks and a typical and non-typical a fair bit larger. Not looking to break any records but want to hunt mature deer.

Where would you go?

06-Feb-17
I can think of tons of units. But really you need to be more specific about what you want. Archery? rifle? Early season above treeline and back packs? Lower season migration pre-rut hunt? The truth is every unit has mature deer. Some more than others. I would suggest looking at the drawing stats for 2016. Going page by page and creating a list of unit that took 16 or less points in 2016. then once you have a "short list" then researching and asking questions that are specific to those hunts.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Deer/2016DeerDrawRecap.pdf

06-Feb-17
What coelker said...

06-Feb-17
I've been using Toprut to do some of the research. I probably won't put in this year and am just getting started. Winter is long and it's enjoyable to have something besides the Gym and moving snow to pass the time.

07-Feb-17
What State are you asking for??????

Colorado?

07-Feb-17
So you're going to have at least 19 PPs or maybe even 20?

07-Feb-17
I too have 18 points. Still doing a lot of research. Going to wait & see what damage the winter might do to the deer herd.

07-Feb-17
Yes, Colorado. I will have 19 in 2018. The Toprut point filter doesn't seem to allow me to see only units which require a high number of points.

Winter Kill is a big deal in this endeavor. Same for where I have access in WY.

07-Feb-17
Same question already asked----

Do you want to Archery hunt? During Archery season? Would you bow hunt on a rifle tag?

If Rifle do you want a Early High Country hunt? Late rut hunt? How about Muzzy?

Do you want high number of deer? Or less hunters and maybe a chance at bigger deer?

I'd go for the 4th season 22 tag this year.

08-Feb-17
Wild wilderness, I haven't been ignoring your post. It's quite relevant but right now I don't know the answers. I'm having my ulnar nerve moved in April so this year is really questionable for now. Also, I enjoy hunting with a rifle too, but it's hard to beat taking an animal at 15 yards or less on the ground. I do appreciate your question because it has me thinking and working the issues.

• Sitka Gear