LKH 17-Feb-17
APauls 17-Feb-17
willliamtell 17-Feb-17
Ibow 17-Feb-17
Missouribreaks 18-Feb-17
Todd108 18-Feb-17
spike buck 18-Feb-17
15-Feb-17
A new conservation group launched Tuesday calling for the NDP to stop trophy hunting in the province. African eco-safari operators Mike and Maryanne Donovan created the non-profit group Ban Trophy Hunting Ltd. on the heels of a national poll showing four out of five Canadians support legislation banning it. The Insights West poll commissioned by Ban Trophy Hunting shows 88 per cent of Canadians are opposed to hunting animals for sport, 79 per cent oppose killing animals for their fur but 68 per cent are in favour of hunting animals for meat. "A lot of true hunters don't like trophy hunting," said Mike Donovan, who says he has no issue with hunting to eat. "Everyone tries to paint you as a left-wing lunatic when you take these positions. But I'm a typical conservative person. I vote conservative. I'm not a vegan." Donovan said he was initially concerned about trophy hunting in Africa where he runs eco-safaris, but soon learned that Canada is the largest exporter of trophy animals in the world. The International Fund for Animal Welfare's 2016 report found the biggest sources of trophy animals between 2004 and 2014 are Canada at 35 per cent, South Africa (23 per cent) and Namibia (11 per cent). Almost 10,000 black bears trophies are exported from Canada each year. Other animals hunted include polar bears, narwhals, mountain lions, cougars, lynx, otters, owls and bighorn sheep. Donovan dismisses the idea that sport hunting provides income and employment. "The point that irks me is the justification for killing these animals is that we're creating employment in these remote areas. But Africa is ample proof you can make as much or more money with ecotourism." Ban Trophy Hunting is holding lectures in Calgary and Edmonton to raise awareness and pressure politicians. The Calgary event is May 25 at the John Dutton Theatre, 616 Macleod Trail S.E. People are asked to register at www.BanTrophyHuntingLtd.com No one from the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society could be reached and Alberta Fish and Game Association officials declined to comment on the issue.

15-Feb-17
"But Africa is ample proof you can make as much or more money with ecotourism."

I'm fairly certain that this statement is far from the truth. Perhaps you can find data that shows that that ecotourism brings in a fraction of the money that hunting does in those African countries, and present them with it. He sounds like he's a little more open to logic than most that take the stance that he has.

15-Feb-17
What is "Trophy Hunting" exactly?

I think it means something quite different than these people believe it to be. I'll bet that 95-98% of all legal hunting would qualify as "Meat Hunting" if they bothered to look at any facts.

15-Feb-17
It's code for any killing of animals.The poll is very suspect but if it gets a foot hold in Alberta it will spread.looks like a self promotion stunt,launched the day after the poll?they paid for a favourable poll result!

16-Feb-17
Agree with above comments.

1. I also doubt the claim that eco tourism in Africa brings in as much money as hunting.

2. How does a person define "trophy hunting"? If you mean killing an animal, retaining a "trophy" and leaving the rest to rot then of course most people would oppose that. Most people on this site likely would as well. But does that ever really happen in Canada or the US?

3. Does it really matter whether one hunts for a "trophy" or for meat, when it comes to wildlife management?

4. I plan on moving to Alberta, so I really hope this doesn't gain traction.

16-Feb-17
My bet is this is a classic wolf in sheep's clothing...... the anti hunters are framing the debate before it starts. Pushing a false meme to grease the rails......

An "eco-tourism" outfitter in Africa is not an unbiased bystander. His statement of "making more from eco-tourism" literally means HE will make a bunch of money from it. Not that if managed properly hunting would not make more, nor make more for the LOCAL economy.

The elephant in the room, so to speak..... is they are NOT mutually exclusive. Both industries can literally go on side by side with NO ill effect to either. Other than "somebody" knows both are going on.

Lots of things that prove that..... take the Cecil debacle. With sport hunting falling through the floor after that.... now some 200 lions in this "eco-tourism park" will have to be put down at a COST to the local park and residents. Where it could have easily been income of many many thousands of dollar as well as good employment, and the economic effect on the tours would be identical.

These people are dishonest. Period.

16-Feb-17
Today's nonhunting voters are no longer in synch with current hunter and hunting values. This is in the US too, and is a progressive erosion of support for hunting. For many decades voters were supportive of the mostly rural culture and hunting for food, leisure, and outdoor family values. Nonhunting voters are not impressed with Bubba horn seekers, competition, hide hunters, record books, videos of orgasmic celebrations after killing an animal, etc. Too late to fully recover IMO.

16-Feb-17
So to satisfy these people would "I" have to eat the meat or could I give it to local people (like I did in Africa). When I went to Saskatchewan to hunt bear last spring I was told that the meat was basically inedible as spring bears are full of worms. So now what would I do, eat inedible meat?

TMBB

16-Feb-17
More incompetent animals rights people. Trophy Hunting was eradicated 100+ years ago. Hunting in North America fills a scientific purpose. If hunters wanted to be cunning we could back it and say we are 100% against Trophy Hunting and any group who tries to attack the long tradition of ethical and legal hunting. That would make them squirm.

16-Feb-17
Typical anti tactic, take what they can get a little bit at a time.

16-Feb-17
Too many bows bob, as an outfitter that statement of not being able to eat the bear meat in the spring cause of worms is false in my opinion, I have never seen worms in a bear yet some guys just don't want to butcher. Most of the guys bring the meat home here and what they don't take, it gets given to locals. For any big game it should be mandatory to not waste the meat if it's eatable lots of people hungry in Northamerica.

16-Feb-17
It maybe possible that some bear have worms, like the odd moose but I have yet to run across some.

16-Feb-17
What if the bear is full of worms?Food banks here won't take them!

16-Feb-17
This man and these organizations should be taken very seriously. Sure, they peddle garbage and false info and WE know that. But they have money and influence. They also know how to use social media to paint the exact picture they want the uninformed to see. They also know how to network and use other like minded groups.

The AB guy is a man with a lot of money and a personal agenda. He gets hero worship, influence and feels great about himself. His own little kingdom with willing [airhead] subjects to do his bidding. A very dangerous enemy!

We can rant all we want on hunting sites, but that counters nothing.

Here in BC we have the so called "Great Bear Rainforest". That named was coined by one man from Vancouver Island and he founded his own Org. All he did/does is use emotion to extract money from all around the world. He pays himself handsomely and greatly influences the "informed by social media" crowd. He has also spearheaded the effort to end trophy hunting in BC, starting with grizzlies and wolves and is making huge strides towards that.

Never dismiss these organizations!!!!

And understand this: This has NOTHING to do with "trophy" hunting. This is ALL about ending ALL hunting. Everyone of these orgs say they have nothing against hunting for food. Oh yes they do!!!

The requirement to remove all meat to prevent the stigma of "trophy" hunting is a total red herring. It won't even slow the anti's down. So just get the notion to give in on that out of your head, thinking they will leave you doe/small buck shooters alone.

And here is why the anti's will win:

While we as hunters, all hunters, are wallowing deep in a pit of perceived differences, throwing mud at each other, the anti's are gleefully standing on the edge burying us one shovelful at a time.

We can't even let another hunter use the weapon they want, never mind present an effective, cohesive defense, when we should be mounting a massive offense! If we spent the same time and energy fighting the anti's as we do beating each other up, we wouldn't be faced with this to start with.

If hunters want to pull off a Tom Brady comeback, things will have to change abruptly.

I doubt they will.

16-Feb-17
Welcome to California! Ambush +1.

16-Feb-17
This is some serious stuff No one ever thought they could cancel a spring bear hunt in Ontario in 1999 but they did

16-Feb-17
"A lot of true hunters don't like trophy hunting," said Mike Donovan, who says he has no issue with hunting to eat. "Everyone tries to paint you as a left-wing lunatic when you take these positions. But I'm a typical conservative person. I vote conservative. I'm not a vegan." Donovan said he was initially concerned about trophy hunting in Africa where he runs eco-safaris, but soon learned that Canada is the largest exporter of trophy animals in the world. "

BS. Donovan is an incrementalist lying POS , just like the rest of the commies that are trying to take away our God given hunting rights.

If he is so worried about " trophy hunting " then lets take it all the way.. pass a law that all these people have to date ugly fat folks. No"trophy" dating for them. He can't look at the cute girls anymore, ( although it sounds like boys are his preference) we will pass a law that he can only date ugly ones....discrimination, that's what it is...

Oh , and no Starbucks, soy, low fat, triple skinny machiatto , or whatever the heck these elites drink. That's a trophy drink...he needs to go to McDonalds like the great unwashed masses do.

No more fancy scones, he can get a greasy stale truck stop donut. Scones are trophy fat pills..and they make donuts feel inferior.

16-Feb-17
Oddly, my only dramatic run in with an anti was in AB. My buddy killed a bear and we were fueling up west of Edmonton. 2 girls were running the gas station. Its a full service station so as the girl is filling up our young guide's truck, she finally realizes there is a dead bear in the bed. She comes unglued and starts yelling that we are murderers. My buddy and I just roll our eyes and tell her we will finish pumping the gas as she continues to rant. The guide (we are his first clients ever) is furious but before it escalates, the other girl comes out and half drags the anti inside. She comes back out, apologizes for her co-worker and finishes pumping our gas. Her family hunted and she checked out the bear and congratulated my friend.

Other than that, I loved my time in AB. Went up there 3 or 4 times hunting or helping with a friends bear camp.

16-Feb-17
This Alberta group has a good chance to get traction,Especially in BC east to Quebec,only 5% of that population hunt in the East the percentage is 20-30% hunt.Ontario should be nervous.

17-Feb-17
BTW There are more hunters than you would think who don't support baiting for bears (which I 100% disagree with).

17-Feb-17
That's why eventually they will win!baiting vs no baiting,bow hunter vs rifle hunters,compound vs trad,meat hunters vs trophy hunters etc makes for a perfect environment for divide and conquer

17-Feb-17
They are winning and will win. Hi tech hunting and a cultural shift within hunter segments is defeating hunter objectives. Yes, hunters certainly embraced the perfect storm. It is all ok though, evolution is inevitable. As others have stated " as long as it is legal who cares"......the key portion is "as long as it is legal".

17-Feb-17
And the clocks running!

17-Feb-17
Young Justin will never let this happen:)

17-Feb-17
This antler insanity is catching up with hunters. When you watch guys /gals on hunting shows having orgasmic joy on shooting a living creature just for the horns it doesn't go over well with the non hunting public. When you see deer after deer walk by the camera and the host says none are shooters that pretty much shows the public he. Is not hunting to feed his family. When terminology is used like dirt nap, BBD, smoked him etc... It shows a total disregard for that creature. I doubt that the ban will happen this time around but it's in the future, so when it happens don't cry, just look in the mirror and you'll know who to blame.

17-Feb-17
You're right about young Justin, Charlie. He won't bother to interfere with hunting. He will simply make it impossible to own or use any kind of weapon, then the hunting part becomes moot.

Sure wish he had moved to California as a useless teenager and stayed there.

17-Feb-17
Young Justin is anti everything!

17-Feb-17
Does anyone have any data on what $$$$ hunting generates for Canada?

17-Feb-17
Young Justin will just leave all the hunting to the indiginous and just outlaw it for white people. Then give them extra money for it. Then backcharge all hunters and give it to refugees. (Not that I have anything against legitimate refugees)

17-Feb-17
Non-hunters don't spend 5 minutes watching hunting shows. Virtually everywhere in North America, if the meat is edible you are required to take it. So what is the distinction between taking an animal for meat and antlers/horns and strictly meat hunting? The animal is still dead, and the meat is still consumed. My understanding is there are areas in Africa where elephant hunting was banned and there are no more elephants as a result. Locals don't put up with a huge animal that can come in and destroy their crops anytime it feels hungry, unless locals are employed by safaris and they get to eat the meat. Get another poll, point out the fallacies in the argument, battle them to a draw. Good luck.

17-Feb-17
LBshooter... good post. I could not agree more with you.

18-Feb-17
Good post LBshooter.

18-Feb-17
This shouldn't surprise anyone if it happens. This is a province that elected a PM opposed to the industry (oil) that supports the place. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see laws in place where only First Nations are allowed to hunt.

18-Feb-17
Took 7 years of Ontario hunters saying it would never happen before it happened. Boy were we wrong.

The ANTI hunting movement has the money and persistence.

Bear Alliance started their campaign in 94', bear season closed in 1999.

• Sitka Gear