Scooby-doo 18-Feb-17
midwest 18-Feb-17
Paul@thefort 18-Feb-17
GaryB@Home 19-Feb-17
lawdy 19-Feb-17
Fuzzy 21-Feb-17
lawdy 21-Feb-17
17-Feb-17
After plowing my half mile long driveway, neighbor's walkways and driveways, shoveling out my chicken house, and other paths I finally got the beagle out this afternoon. We have had 36 inches of snow over the last 3 days. Over 6 feet now in the woods with 8 feet up along the border where loggers are using D7 cats to break open skidder trails. I figured my beagle would not be able to run. He put a hare by me 5 times until I grabbed him. All you could see was the top of his head as he wallowed through the snow. The hare stopped every time within 10-15 feet of me. He was having a hard time too as he carefully picked his way through the fluffy snow. Each time I drew on him and decided that he needed a break. First easy shots I had with a bow all season. Getting soft in my old age. Tomorrow we are headed for a swamp along the border with the really deep snow. Arrow losing time.

18-Feb-17
Heck, at 10 -15 feet you could use a bow fish'n rig and not loose any arrows or blood trails.

18-Feb-17
Pretty thick cover up here. There is one mountain swamp where I bet there are 40 arrows I have lost in deep snow. I shoot longbow and make my own shafts out of birch, otherwise I would go broke.

18-Feb-17
Sounds like fun, enjoy!

Scar.

18-Feb-17
I got back from hunting and picking up short ends off a woodyard. We can get a wood permit up here for free. Most burn wood. I missed a hare but can't believe how tough and persistant my 13 inch beagle is. He worked his butt off in deep snow and was upset when I grabbed him baying his head off all the way out. Hard hunting when you sink 2-3 feet with every step wearing big snowshoes. Hunting a mountain swamp tomorrow after church and checking traps. The buck I missed this fall lives there but is probably moved on to a winter yard by now, though he spent last years mild winter up there all winter. Hopefully he will survive.

18-Feb-17

Scooby-doo's embedded Photo
Scooby-doo's embedded Photo
We just did a traditional bunny hunt here in NY. Over 200 shots taken and we killed a bunch here is a pic with 9 after our first 3 pushes!! Scooby

18-Feb-17
Looks like a blast!

I miss my beagles.

18-Feb-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Did I hear some one say RABBITS!

19-Feb-17
I think Hare hunting with a Beagle would be a blast. I've always been curious how well it would work on our large Antelope Jackrabbits here in Arizona.

19-Feb-17
GaryB, hares circle, those jacks could take a beagle right out of the county. Late season gets crazy up here as the buck hares travel breeding females. They will sometimes race back to their home turf which could be a couple of miles away. With deep soft snow, that can be a long hike. I love hounds and have never been without one. Grew up with beagles, redbones, black and tans, and blue ticks. Coyote hounds are very popular up here, along with bear/cat hounds.

21-Feb-17
thanks for Sharing :)

21-Feb-17
Our snow is settling with the sun. It was -3 this morning but now is 29 with a bright sun. The snow banks along the woods roads have dropped a foot over the last two or three days. This a deadly time for our deer as the coyotes run on top but the deer and moose break through. Took my granddaughters lab to check out a beaver pond on our land and she could walk on the crust until she tried to run. Yesterday I took the beagle to a swamp along the Androscoggin River and he was sinking in the snow. I had both the longbow and my flinter in the truck. I took the bow and missed a running shot. Actually found the arrow in the snow and snowshoed back and grabbed the Tulle de Chasse. Nailed him. I know, I cheated, but it was a young hare and is going to taste good in a stew tomorrow. He has been in a crock pot all day as hares are tough.

• Sitka Gear