Blacktail Bob 20-Feb-17
loesshillsarcher 20-Feb-17
Mad Trapper 20-Feb-17
Blacktail Bob 20-Feb-17
painless 20-Feb-17
Etsonaut 22-Feb-17
Frank Noska 22-Feb-17
17-Feb-17
I have drawn the late archery Dall Sheep tag for Alaska GMU 14C. I will be hunting with Lance Kronberger. Has anyone done this hunt? If so, I'd love to gain some insight.

17-Feb-17
One of the Foss sons has done that one I believe. There is a Sitka film on it. Tough one!

17-Feb-17
Your hunting with one of the best guides in Alaska, just listen to him, follow direction, get yourself in shape, and enjoy. Its going to be a tough hunt. Hope for good weather.

17-Feb-17
I drew this tag last year, you will probably be guided by John Rydeen. I've been meaning to post a summary of the hunt, just keep putting it off. I had 2 chances and came home without a sheep, it hurt. Get in shape. I thought I was in decent shape, but was proven wrong. Practice longer shots; 60-80 yds. I had a relatively close shot and missed. More later.

18-Feb-17
JR, We'd love to hear your recap.

18-Feb-17
Thanks to all for your input.... I would love to hear the details of your trip last year JRABQ.

18-Feb-17
PM sand

18-Feb-17
I've done this hunt twice guided. Once in 2010 and 2014. I never launched an arrow. Saw plenty of sheep just never got close enough for a shot. Lances guides will most likely get you an opportunity. Get in good shape like stated.

Be prepared to lose a few days to weather.

19-Feb-17

Cliffhanger's embedded Photo
Cliffhanger's embedded Photo
Get into serious shape and be right on your guides heels at all times. Push through the pain, Chugach Mountains can be brutal that time of year, awesome hunt. Good luck and don't hesitate to shoot.

19-Feb-17
Had the tag in 2007 I think it was and had 6 days to hunt after finishing my last brown bear hunt, weather was pretty ruthless. I flew it prior to hunting, tons of the rams had moved into the closed zone in Eagle River. If weather is similar I would set up on some of the trails they were using to leave the hunt area. I found a giant ram and was too focused on him, never loosed an arrow. Other tough part was the wind would blow the snow off the higher peaks/crags and was near impossible to get to some rams. Lance is a stud, you have one of the best outfitters there are.

20-Feb-17

Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's embedded Photo
This is a very tough hunt, but it can be done. This is the hunt Roy was on when he fell.

20-Feb-17
Awesome photo Bob!

20-Feb-17
Beautiful pic Bob, I had my chance(s) and didn't cash in.

20-Feb-17
The famous blacktail looks a bit younger in that picture???

20-Feb-17
Way more studly looking now don't you think!!

20-Feb-17
Had to look close to see if that was camo on Mr. Bob. lol. I knew better.

20-Feb-17
Yeah I guess that the camo thru me. Probably picked it up at a yard sale...

20-Feb-17
I was under the influence of outdoor marketing scams in those days. I think I paid dearly for those Cabels's camo pants and vest. Better informed by personal experiences these days and less likely to be a crowd follower. Although I think Lisa still wears those camo pants.

20-Feb-17
I've hunted 14C twice. Both times up Eagle River. If this is the area you drew I may be able to help. However, I'm sure your outfitter knows the area well. It's a great hunt and experience. Congratulations on drawing.

22-Feb-17
Thanks so much for all of the comments. Bob, beautiful ram! Cliffhanger, that's a picture that got my attention. Wow.

22-Feb-17
You are right Trapper! Blacktail does look A LOT younger in that Dall Sheep photo! He is getting old and frail....not much adventurous bow hunting left in his future.... (-;

• Sitka Gear