Brotsky 19-Feb-17
Paul@thefort 19-Feb-17
Medicinemann 19-Feb-17
Paul@thefort 19-Feb-17
writer 20-Feb-17
bziegler 21-Feb-17
Woodsmaster 22-Feb-17
19-Feb-17
My friend wants to complete his turkey slam. He wants to do it himself, on public or walk-in property. He needs an Osceola and a Merriams to complete it. His goal this year, is to tag a Merriam's, and he is looking for public or "walk-in" land in either Kansas or Nebraska.

He is a former MMA fighter, and a cancer survivor. He doesn't need anyone to confide a secret spot to him....but if you know of a general area that has a decent Merriam's population, with public access, he (and I ) would be most appreciative for any suggestions. He always wears his big boy pants and will do his own scouting as required....he's just looking for a decent starting point. I would appreciate any help or suggestions that Bowsiters would be willing to share.....

19-Feb-17
Jake, PM sent.

19-Feb-17
Lots of public in NW Nebraska...in close proximity to Chadron. Good turkey population in that area and the birds are Merriam's per the NWTF sub-species map. I was there a few years ago in late March during the archery only season. If I were to do it again, would go later in the season....probably no earlier than mid-April.

There is also alot of public in the Black Hills....SW South Dakota. Have not hunted that area myself, but heard good things about the turkey hunting there.

19-Feb-17
Jake, any reason he doesn't want to hunt the Black Hills in SD? Almost all public land and pure Merriams.

19-Feb-17
No reason at all.....I just don't think that South Dakota was on his radar.....it is now!! OTC tags are not a problem, right?

PS - When Half Pint qualifies for the Olympics in 2020, and/or 2024, make sure that she is wearing a camo or Bowsite hairband during her interview with Bob Costas!!

19-Feb-17
Right, archery tags are unlimited. He can also get a shotgun tag specifically for the Black Hills which can be filled with bow or gun for a total of two tags.

19-Feb-17
Is he interested in a pure Merriams or a cross, ie, Rio/Merriam? If I was doing a slam, I would want a pure Merriam.

19-Feb-17
Pure Merriam

19-Feb-17
Nebraska toms are not pure Merriam except in the NW area north and east of Scottsbluff Neb. and then "maybe". South Dakota yes, western Colorado, yes,

20-Feb-17
Black Hills. Purer Merriams, and it's a true Merriams hunt in the ponderosa pine country. He can also catch a few trout, see Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse (much more impressive).... Great people in Rapid City, and the small towns around it, too. Steer him away from any prairie hunt because they're hybrids with Rio, Merriams, barnyard.... Love the Black Hills...as you can tell. Kansas is out of the question.

21-Feb-17
PM Sent

22-Feb-17
PM sent

• Sitka Gear