t-roy 07-Mar-17
olebuck 07-Mar-17
Zim1 09-Mar-17
Rock 09-Mar-17
JacobNisley 09-Mar-17
olebuck 09-Mar-17
JusPassin 09-Mar-17
06-Mar-17
Has anyone added brush loops to a pop up blind.

i know they are not always necessary when turkey hunting - but i like to brush mine in on certain occasions.

has anyone ever added brush loops - if so, how did you go about it.

06-Mar-17
Something that has worked for me in the past has been cutting the brush off with a downward stroke, thereby sharpening the ends. Then stick the sharp ends in the ground and run some nylon cord all around the blind to keep the tops from blowing or falling over. This may not be possible on all blind designs as you still have to get in the door. I've done this when brushing in for deer, but I don't normally brush for turkeys. I also try to set up under a low hanging limb if possible. I think that is the easiest, best camo. I've done that for deer and had them ignore it on the first day. The key is being in the shade and they can't tell where the blind ends and the tree starts.

06-Mar-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Brushed in blind while duck hunting. never had to for turkeys or pronghorn , but I would for deer hunting
Brushed in blind while duck hunting. never had to for turkeys or pronghorn , but I would for deer hunting
not for turkeys
not for turkeys
did for yard hopper geese. just used some camo netting and then stuck pointed ends of limbs in the ground.
did for yard hopper geese. just used some camo netting and then stuck pointed ends of limbs in the ground.

06-Mar-17
both of my blind did not come with tie-ons so like others, I have used rope to hold down the brush on top and sides. Not sure how one would do it without sewing loops on. Maybe with small rivets spaced every foot along the material to form the loops. One might only have to do half of the blind that fronts on the hunting site.

06-Mar-17
Hunting in Pa I almost aways brush the top of the blind when hunting in the woods..

Try this,,, put your blind up and walk back and look at it. Then brush the top and walk back to the same spot and look at it. You will see that it blends in way way better. That brush on top just brakes up the blind out line.

So for me it make me feel better with bush on top,, so I do it.

06-Mar-17
Turkeys are as dumb as a box of rocks no need to brush in a blind. He I have sat in my truck after pulling in a filed and scaring them off and started calling and had them come back and peck at my tires. Scooby

06-Mar-17
No need to brush in a blind for turkeys.

06-Mar-17
These MS turkeys are not as easy as the ones most of you hunt in the midwest. Following a 120 day long deer season everything looks suspicious... we mostly hunt turkeys in big hard wood swamps. With little underbrush and they stick out unless you find a tree top or clump of trees

06-Mar-17
Like others, really haven't had to, but it's not hard to do....Some longer Zip-ties can help!

06-Mar-17

olebuck, all I've ever hunted were Rios, and they are supposed to be the least wary turkeys of all, but I've had some that just would not get any closer than 50/60 yards and that's too far for me with a bow, so I've taken to backing my blind up against something, whether under a limb, or against a tree or some other feature, but I never brush it in. For deer, I brush it so much it's hard to find it if you don't know exactly where it is. Not relevent to the OP, but when I put brush on top, I always tie the center to an overhanging limb. It keeps the top from collapsing when it rains and the brush that weighed 15 pounds then weighs 50 pounds. Learned that the hard way too !

06-Mar-17
Scooby, I take offense that you insult rocks like that. :-) Ole Buck let us know what you come up with.

06-Mar-17
I've had turkeys bump into my blind, and no it was not brushed in. Now whitetails is a different story.

TMBB

06-Mar-17

sdbowhunter's embedded Photo

sdbowhunter's Link
This is what I got for my blind to brush it in.

06-Mar-17

06-Mar-17

06-Mar-17
Get two loops of 1/4th inch bunji. You have to buy it and join the ends. They should be about 2-3' shorter than the circumference of the blind.

Put above and below the windows. With these, you can even "brush in" with grass and short sage. On my double bull I have 4 cords coming from the top of the blind. These can be used to help hold up the top bunji loop.

06-Mar-17
I'm on the look out for some 1/4" black bungee. I did hot glue on some old camo clothing strips i cut up tonight. Apply with hot glue then iron and it sticks really good. I'll get pics tomorrow. My original double bull is about shot.....

07-Mar-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
This works really well but you have to plant it in May!

07-Mar-17

olebuck's embedded Photo
olebuck's embedded Photo
Here are the pics of the "brush straps" I came up with.

Took an old camo jacket and cut out some strips. I also used this to patch some pretty bad tears in the blind.

I used a hot glue gun then came back with an iron and it really worked well..... you cannot rip of the patches.

I just glued about every other 2" on the brush strips so it has slots for the brush to go down into.

This double bull is over 10 years old and is in rough shape. Hope the patches and the tune up will give me a few more years of good use. Been a bunch of critters shot from this blind....

09-Mar-17
I used to hunt turkeys without brushing in my blind for years without a problem. That all changed my last couple years hunting heavily pressured 5th & 6th season Wisconsin public. Now??? Forgetaboutit. Totally different birds. You have zero (0.00%) chance there without either complete concealment or totally brushing in blind. And don't even think about using a decoy. All toms will avoid by 60 yards minimum. Most just run like hell away. There's no doubt pressure affects game animals a LOT. Those that don't know this have simply not hunted a wide enough variety of properties and conditions.

09-Mar-17
When I started build Blinds commercially back in the early 90's I put 24 brush ties on every Blind and some people told me it was a stupid idea. But they sure have come in handy over the years I later started attaching a bungee cord system to the roof attaching it to the brush ties I already had on the Blind. This really is a good way to conceal a Blind anywhere when animals are bothered by something new showing up.

Currently I am using a Hay Bale Blind more than my portable cloth Blinds and there is not need to brush that in.

09-Mar-17
Yeah the turkeys I hunt here in NW PA (mostly unsuccessfully) don't like unbrushed blinds at all.

09-Mar-17
i bought a new double bull deluxe yesterday i with the doulbe wide door. for what it cost it should come with some brush loops. i'll be adding bungee cord to it. i'm not going to be gluing or stitching on a $400 blind.

09-Mar-17

JusPassin's embedded Photo
JusPassin's embedded Photo
My Primos blinds have the loops already there. Here is one along the field edge brushed with corn stalks.

• Sitka Gear