Jaquomo 14-Mar-17
TD 14-Mar-17
JohnB 14-Mar-17
Jaquomo 14-Mar-17
Franzen 15-Mar-17
Scooby-doo 15-Mar-17
Bowfreak 15-Mar-17
09-Mar-17
I'm looking for a new treestand for a new elk spot. I'll be packing it a couple miles uphill, using screw-in steps, and will be setting it myself. I have a Kelty Cache Hauler for packing.

Climbers are out since I'm hunting pines. I want something relatively comfortable but not over-sized. I'm 6'3" and around 200 lbs, so not a tiny stand either.

I have a couple older stands but looking to upgrade. I don't want to spend a fortune but price is not my primary concern. :-)

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

09-Mar-17
I bought a Hawk Helium Kickback last fall. It's well made, light and extremely comfortable.

09-Mar-17
Lone Wolf (Assault or Alpha) meets your needs but it can border on a "fortune" depending on model. The XOP stand is very similar (company started by LW founder) and less expensive. I have not used the XOP.

09-Mar-17
Lone Wolf X25

09-Mar-17
Lone Wolf Jaq...

09-Mar-17
My dad has a lone wolf its super light.

I don't care at all for the seat myself. It is very uncomfortable for me. I know he loves the thing.

09-Mar-17
Another vote for the Lone Wolf Assault or Alpha and bring one of those foam seat cushions.

09-Mar-17
I've used Lone Wolf hang ons for years and love them. Easy to hang and very solid. I have also used the XOP and for all intents and purposes they are basically the same stand as the LW. I would not recommend the LW Assault or XOP's smallest stand for what you're wanting. The platform is pretty small. Instead of screw in steps, I would recommend looking at the climbing sticks that both companies offer. They nest together and attach to the stand itself very snugly & transport very easily.

Also, I would highly recommend using 2 straps when hanging the stand. I attach a second strap to the platform itself to keep the stand from possibly kicking out when you are entering or exiting the stand. I also paint the tops of the steps on the climbing sticks white. It makes them way easier to see when getting out of the tree in the dark.

09-Mar-17
Jac - keep an eye out at the local Walmarts. Some of them carry treestands, and since we don't have too many whitetail hunters, you can pick them up this time of year ridiculously low prices. A couple years back, I found some Gorilla lock ons at the FoCo store on clearance for 18$ each. Bought 7 of them:) Poudre

09-Mar-17
I have a Muddy that is comfy. It has the adjustable seat height and can level the platform. Not bad on the weight either. Also comes with straps for top and bottom.

09-Mar-17
not me and I don't know him but a guy is selling a cheap LW sit n climb in the Mass forum

09-Mar-17
Only slightly less expensive than the Lone Wolf, it may be worth considering the Millenium M60 Ultralight. I don't have one, but I do have a standard Millenium that is pretty comfy. I have never had the urge to purchase a LW stand, but it is my understanding that most of their stands are not in the realm of comfortable. M60U is 13.5 lbs I think.

EDIT: You can also leave your receiver in the tree if you wish and have easy installation each time.

09-Mar-17
Lone Wolf Assault...I still have one out in a honey hole in CO, packed it down 2 miles and 2000 ft.

Big enough...and super light.

Best of Luck, Jeff

09-Mar-17
Another vote for the Millemium. M100 is light, M150 is more roomy and comfy, but weighs more. Have a safe and slick attachment mechanism "cam lock receiver" that allows you to use one treestand and hang multiple receivers in different trees and just attach your stand as needed. Also makes it less visible to other hunters as your stand isn't left up in the tree, just the receiver.

M150 is 19.5 lbs M100U is 12.5 lbs

--Mitch

09-Mar-17
check out the line at chippewa wedge loc. i love mine the ghost weighs in at 9 lbs. any of them are only as safe as you and your safety harness.

09-Mar-17
Lone Wolf Alpha. Spend the extra bucks and buy the footrests. That greatly adds to my comfort on stand.

09-Mar-17
Thanks, guys. Lots of good info here. In have a good Spider harness and a Thermarest self-inflating pad for the seat (one pod mine is really uncomfortable without it). I won't use a treestand that isn't secured top and bottom so I've made my own ratchets when needed. Im a ground hunter for everything but this one place is great for a treestand for afternoons.

Starting to dig into the options now. Thanks for all the advice!

09-Mar-17
My older LW Alpha has two straps. I weigh a chunky 210 naked :), and haven't ever felt unsafe with both straps on my LW.

I've looked at the newer LW Alphas, I don't know that they're any different than the one I bought back in 2008 or so.

I really like Big Game treestands for comfort, and when I know I'm leaving them in a tree for long periods. But, they are not very packable, and they are definitely heavy. I wouldn't recommend to pack them too dang far

09-Mar-17
Jaquomo,

I've been happy with the old Gorilla hang on stands made of aluminum (no longer being made). I've packed them into elky areas because they weigh about 13 lbs. The Lone Wolf Assault or Alpha is well made and easily available. Screw in steps are WAY lighter than climbing sticks. The number of steps needed depends on your agility. Typically, plan to need 7 steps for a 15' stand. Screw the steps in on each side of the tree so that the stand is easy to reach from the highest step. Also the link below is for a great safety line. Connect your harness to the prussic knot on the safety line with a carabiner.

http://safetreehunt.com/products/

09-Mar-17
Also, since you're going to be in a pine/ponderosa/spruce plan on bringing a small saw to trim a little. You can find a little folding 8 - 9" saw at most any hardware store that will cost about $10 and weigh only 4-5 ounces. Cut the branches away from where you are screwing in the steps because you don't want to be climbing down and mistaking a small branch for a screw in step. I hope that I explained that well. Be safe!

09-Mar-17
I agree with Troy. I have both and like the price of the XOP much better.

Good luck Lou.

09-Mar-17
Thanks, elkstabber! I have a safety line with a Prussic and a bunch of tree steps, a folding aluminum stick, and shorter sticks. I used to hunt from treestands a lot years ago before I decided to get on the ground and hunt like a biped. Five of my elk have been killed out of trees.

The treestands (and 3 ladder stands) I have aren't the lightest for where I intend to haul this one in.

Now, if you've a good solution to keep pine sap from goo-ing up everything, I'll buy you a beer!

09-Mar-17
trophyline tree saddle is what I use in elk country and quite a bit in whitetail hunting

12-Mar-17
Corn starch will shut down the pine sap!

13-Mar-17
Lone Wolf or XOP as well.

13-Mar-17
Had a lone wolf, did not like the sear, friends use M100 and love it.

13-Mar-17
Lou, I have a few that I kept from the last batch I built when I was building them commercially. They are large stands (something like 30" long and 24" wide if I remember correctly) made from Aluminum and weigh 7 1/2 pounds, with a leg under the stand that allows you to level the platform on any tree no matter how much it leans. No seat attached as I always like have a separate seat that I could mount at any height or on either side of the stand so that when I stood up I was in shooting position without needing to turn. No pictures on this computer but will try to remember to add some from home this evening.

13-Mar-17
I agree 100% with the Chippewa Wedge-Loc, different sizes and simple to hang a bracket and take stand with you. You could hang a couple brackets for different winds and just carry the stand with you. I make my own brackets for around 10 bucks. I own 3 of the stands and have about 40 brackets for my out of state hunting. Shawn

13-Mar-17
I have 3 Lone Wolfs and I consider them small. My guess is that at 6'3" you will also consider them small.

13-Mar-17
In the southeast pines are probably the number one tree for climbing. I have never had an issue with one. Hard to beat Lone Wolf for packability.

13-Mar-17
Lone wolf alpha for weight and packing. On the down side I think it's a Lil small. And I'm just a Lil guy.

13-Mar-17
Lou, I'm with Hillbender, the Treesaddle is awesome and you can't fall out of it even if you get sleepy. It can get uncomfortable if you sit in it for 4 plus hours but that is the only downside. It is a harness and stand in one unit so it's efficient from a weight and size standpoint. Takes a little getting used to but many swear by it.

14-Mar-17
Guidos Web

14-Mar-17
I have placed camo duct tape over the butts of branches I've cut where my back contacts the tree. Your hands will get gummed up big time! Either have a pair of gloves to throw away after the hunt or deal with bare hands. When I get down from the tree, I find some nice, dry dirt and rub it all over my hands. The sap stays, but isn't sticky anymore, just totally dirty! :)

>>>>-------->

14-Mar-17
I have a LW Alpha and it is great, but if you want to sit all day, it may not be the stand for you. Not the most comfy stand in the world. The XOP which is similar has a more comfy seat.

14-Mar-17
JAQ, I imagine light weight and small is important for this set. The lightest I've ever seen was the cheap seat, but that stand pretty much sucks.

My favorite deep hunt stand is the Loc-on Limit, its small sturdy and easy to use, well built. I believe its just under 7 lbs as stated above, the lone wolf hangs on are great, comfortable and pretty light. the wedge -locs are awesome to sit in and they make a very small stand too. wedge locks can get heavy if you haul in multible chains. Good Luck, Bill V

14-Mar-17
Another vote for the wedge lok, coming from a guy that owns lone wolf, xop and a couple m100s as well...

14-Mar-17
If you are 6' 3", I would not go small.

14-Mar-17
Loc-on Limit for me. You would probably consider it very small. I shot an elk with it on my back the last night of our trip while walking out. That was a long night.

14-Mar-17
I use a Lone Wolf Alpha, and hang my stand for every hunt. I love it. I don't consider it small, and I'm 6'4'' and 250 pounds. I make sure to always use the straps on top and bottom.

14-Mar-17
You got straight trees so Millenium........or Ol Man both have comfy seats...... The seat on a Lone Wolf is not in the same league in comfort as the above two.

14-Mar-17
Lou, I second the older gorilla stands. I use them a lot with no problems. Also, read the F&G rules regarding tree stands now. You won't like it. We lock ours up now with the seats up. That way no one can use it, and take out the first few lower tree steps out when you leave every evening. You never know my friend...

14-Mar-17
Bill V homemade brackets weigh about a pound plus the ratchet strap. On most of my out of state whitetail hunts(I know this is Elk but the same applies), I hang 10-12 brackets and bring 3 stands, that way I can leave a stand or two hanging but have one free in case the wind changes. I too have owned pretty much all the ones mentioned and the Chippewa blows most all out of the water. The LW Alpha is a close second and their sticks are the best as far as light and portable. I use 3 LW sticks and two or three screw in steps for most of my sets. I like to screw in two steps that are even on the tree so I am standing flat instead of hanging with one leg higher when setting the stand in the bracket. Scooby

14-Mar-17
Geez, I wish everybody agreed on one! Lots of great advice here. I don't want small, would rather carry a couple pounds extra to get something comfortable that fits me. Still looking, not in any big hurry to punch the credit card. Appreciate all the input!

14-Mar-17
Your pretty athletic still..... I'm with the treesaddle guys. I don't even care for treestands anymore. You can fall outta those things..... treesaddle you can really lean out into the shot with no worries. I've even used the straps to take a "rest" for the shot, kind of like a rifle rest. Like they said, a bit of a learning and set up curve. But nothing lighter, safer or more versatile. No need for any kind of backpack, you can wear it it in if you like.

One issue though..... they don't make em anymore. They are available used out on ebay, etc. But another company Newtribe makes the Aero Hunter harness that is very similar. My partner has one of those and it works well.

14-Mar-17
Lou usually I hunt DIY and I kind of worry a little about being 60yrs old at the base of my tree hurting a lot so I don't use the screw in's like I used too. I found Millinium's ladder stick to be relatively lite 17lbs and feel much safer. Good luck either way!

14-Mar-17
Thanks, John. I have a folding ladder stick that I can carry on my Kelty frame if I get a light enough treestand. Screw steps creep me out a little too but I've never had a pro Len related to them except tough in and out in these sappy pines. My buddy has an Ameristep hammer for that that I can borrow. But I do like sticks. Wish I could just haul in one of my ladder stands.. ;-)

15-Mar-17
Curious as to what you guys like better about the Wedge Lok than say a Millenium stand? Seat as comfortable?

To the guys who use the Loc-on Limit: What did your butts do to you in a previous life to have to sit on that seat? ;^)

15-Mar-17
The wedge-loc brackets can be home made and they are just so much easier to put on a tree. They are comfortable and come in quite a few sizes and are pretty light. After owning a bunch of portable hanging stands they just work the best for me. Scooby

15-Mar-17
Get something aluminum with a sling style seat and you will be happy if you are planning on long sets. If I couldn't find something cheaper I would buy the Hawk Helium Kickback cold if I was looking for the same treestand application. MSRP is $199, probably get it for $170 somewhere. If you are only planning on doing 3-4 hour sets I would just find the cheapest aluminum stand I could get my hand on. You can set on a bed of nails for 3-4 hours.

• Sitka Gear