sticksender 16-Mar-17
South Farm 16-Mar-17
Rob in VT 16-Mar-17
Fuzzy 17-Mar-17
Kevin Dill 17-Mar-17
bigbuckODY 17-Mar-17
TK 17-Mar-17
15-Mar-17
Im a die hard bow hunter i think about it 365 24/7 and my career bowhunting goal is to shoot a bull moose so i figured id start putting in for points wherever i needed. Where should i or is the best state/country/providence i should look at? i know it could take years to get a tag so why not start now

15-Mar-17
I would look at doing a hunt in Canada or Alaska. I will very likely a looong time before you draw a tag in the lower 48.

15-Mar-17
If that's your huge goal in life I'd also start putting $ away. 5-10 years maybe you can buy a good quality Canadian or Alaskan hunt! Sorry I can't help states-wise I live in Canada and am slightly more blessed as far as availability for moose.

15-Mar-17
If you are willing to settle for a cow Shiras moose there are units in CO where a NR can draw with zero points.

15-Mar-17
You don't need to wait on points to bowhunt moose in the near future. Send in a deposit to an outfitter or reputable transporter in Alaska and make it happen sooner than later. Good luck in your pursuits!

15-Mar-17
you can hunt moose in Newfoundland anytime you want and can afford it.

15-Mar-17
can i put in for points in canada? or do i need to book with an outfitter? 4 years ago i started putting small amounts of money away just for my moose hunt. my 2018 fall is 100% booked already Iowa pheasant hunt michigan bear hunt colorado elk hunt and find time to bowhunt my local michigan whitetail

15-Mar-17
ok i just found the answer for me getting a tag in canada

i cant as an alien of canada it will have to be a guided hunt there

15-Mar-17
I would not count on drawing a L48 moose tag. even if you did, I'm sure you are dreaming of a 50"+ bull for your career goal. That's highly unlikely on a DIY L48 moose hunt where a 40"+ is good.

So money is your friend. AK will still cost a $3-5K DIY for transporter and any fully guided AK/Canada is going $8K+++depending...

15-Mar-17
Idaho has the best draw odds for Bull Moose in the lower 48. So if you absolutely must do a DIY hunt, I'd start applying there. No points in Idaho, just good odds every year. The non-refundable cost to apply as a NR was $226.89 last year. The license fee that they'd keep, if you're drawn, is a couple thousand.

On the other hand, you can easily book a Moose hunt for next year, or any year thereafter, in various provinces of Canada, as long as you're willing & able to write the check.

15-Mar-17

Shiras's Link
And Kevin just provided this information about AK.

15-Mar-17
ya Alaska from the reading i just did says that i can buy a moose tag as a non resident for $800 and i dont need a guide up there size of moose really doesnt matter as long as it has legal size horns but something with good paddles would be nice :) but id look into some service that could help get the meat out ????? i dont know if that is something like colorado people that will help get out an elk via horse back

15-Mar-17
Youth is wonderful for moose hunting, it is not the success but the taken out that can be brutal., especially on the tundra.

16-Mar-17
You can go on an outfitted hunt in Newfoundland anytime you want for less than $7k. If your dream is to kill any moose that's where I'd look.

16-Mar-17
I can tell you from experience Newfoundland is the way to go. Lot's of moose and about 1/3 the cost of Alaska. Plus there's no size limit on bulls.

Stop dreaming about it , put a plan in motion AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

16-Mar-17
Certainly consider a reputable outfitter in NL. Hunts which are 1 x 1 fully outfitted start at around $4,100 US not including taxes. Going on my 7th trip with friends. Advanced age prevents consideration of any other type of hunt. Fly-in hunts are more.

16-Mar-17
Definitely for the cost and success rates, Newfoundland is the leading choice.

My dad is just a Moose short of his Super Ten, and has been on 5 Moose hunts to date. Last one was Manitoba, everyone on that trip except him killed a giant bull.

16-Mar-17
Save up and go!

I am pondering a Canadian moose hunt to round out my 'trifecta' of moose specie. Just not sure where to go

16-Mar-17
I'm with T-roy above. I'm booking a Yukon hunt

16-Mar-17
lol T-roy we must have been typing the same thing at the same time^^^^^

16-Mar-17
Take a look at Northern B.C. near the Yukon Border. Yes, you'll need an outfitter but it will be money very well spent.... The moose there are classified as Canadian Moose, but carry the genetics of the Alaskan/Yukon moose (Moose can't read maps) and a moose hunt there is considerably less than a Yukon hunt. There are a lot of moose there and some great bulls. Nothing wrong with shooting any moose including a cow, but if you're going to spend the time and money why not go where you can shoot a big one?

Alaska might be of interest as you don't need to hire an outfitter, but by the time you add everything up you might not have saved a whole lot over the price of a hunt in B.C. and I know people who have hunted Alaska and didn't see a whole lot. Alaska is expensive and everybody has their hand out wanting money for anything and everything.

Thinking about a moose hunt and doing one are two very different things. It's hard to imagine the vastness of the country, the work involved, the logistics, etc. until you actually do it.

I saw 40 moose and 16 of them were bulls on my B.C. hunt in 8 days of hunting. A good guide and outfitter are invaluable if you really want to kill a moose. They know the area, they have the equipment and know how, and will make your hunt much more enjoyable in my humble opinion...

16-Mar-17
What is the deal with the Colorado Cow Shiras moose tags that take a Nonresident zero points to draw. Does zero points mean zero bonus points after you have the three preference points or zero preference points? In these particular units, are the cow moose easy to find or would an outfitter be recommended? Having never shot a shiras or any moose for that matter this may be a good way to go about getting some meat in the freezer.

16-Mar-17
njbuck: sometimes no points at all, they're under-subscribed. As far as meat in the freezer, true, but at 2149.00 for the license, it's an extremely expensive way to do so. By comparison, a cow elk license would be about 1/5th the cost.

16-Mar-17
Take out a loan and go...by the time you "SAVE" for a moose hunt they'll be that much more $$$ and you'll never go. When I first started hunting a dream moose/caribou combo hunt was around $3500. Throw in a marriage, kids, and a job and it only gets harder. Beg, borrow, or steal, but go now because it will never get easier the older you get, just more expensive.

16-Mar-17
Guided Alaska/Yukon is closer to $20k. Newfoundland is known for small bulls, but they do have some good eastern Canada bulls if you don't shoot the first year and a half bull that comes out.

Good luck!

17-Mar-17
Rob in VT that's true. If you want a 60"+ bull there's no point in going to N.F. If you just want a great moose hunting experience, and the chance to maybe take a 48" to 50" bull, go to NF

17-Mar-17
3 Questions: How important is it to kill a moose? How important is it to have a chance at a trophy bull? What is your budget?

Extra question: How important is it to do your own thing and create your own hunt, versus going guided and turning it over to someone else?

17-Mar-17
sounds like BC is the place ill plan for 2020:) thank you all

17-Mar-17
Taking a moose w archery equipment has always been on my wish list. I just booked a hunt for this Sept. in Alaska.

• Sitka Gear