wooddamon1 07-Oct-21
Old School 07-Oct-21
Brotsky 07-Oct-21
JRABQ 07-Oct-21
Native Okie 07-Oct-21
Ermine 08-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21
18-Mar-17
Has anyone had experience with these tents? Looking for a good all around tent that can be used for family camping trips as well as base camp elk hunts, etc. Has primarily good reviews and looks like it fits the bill but would like some more insight. Thanks.

18-Mar-17

midwest's Link
I've used one the last several seasons. Great tent!

Competitive Edge (at my link) has been the best prices but check around.

18-Mar-17
I agree with Midwest. Great tent. Like it much better than the Alaknak it replaced.

18-Mar-17
Thanks fellas. Which models do each of you have? I'm looking at the 10*10 or 10*14 flex bow. The vestibule or the enclosure look nice. Enclosure only looks to work on the 12*9 though. Any suggestions? I'm leaning 10*14 with vestibule.

18-Mar-17

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I have the 10 x 10 with the vestibule which is perfect for my solo hunts. Would definitely go bigger for a family.

18-Mar-17
check out the spring bar tent it has been around for a long time. it is a spitting image of the Kodiak canvas. they have good customer service and they can repair almost any damage to the tent. I have not compared prices yet but for 700.00 you can have a nice tent. with over 40 year of the company being in business.

18-Mar-17
10 x 14

18-Mar-17
I have a 10x14 flex bow. I love that thing. By the time I pack all my gear, a table and chair and a cot in it, I'm glad I usually hunt solo.

It would be great for you and the wife. More than two I think would be a Lil crowded. You can always put the kids in a different tent.

18-Mar-17
I have the 10x14. If using it in the summer, the VX model allows for LOTS of ventilation. Have only had it out three times for a total of 16 days, but it has been great.

19-Mar-17
Another vote for the spring bar. I was at Cabellas a couple of days ago and they had the Kodiak setup. I looked it over fairly closely. The design is the same as the Spring Bar. I suspect the original designer was Spring Bar. I have had my Spring Bar for over 35 years. I think the Spring Bar is a a bit more durable. The connections on the tube frame are a little different than mine, but basically the same. The flex tubes on the Kodiak are made of fiberglass, mine is spring steel. The canvas seemed a little lighter weight on the Kodiak as well, but then a few things may have changed in the last 30-35 years.

19-Mar-17
"The flex tubes on the Kodiak are made of fiberglass, mine is spring steel."

The rods on the Kodiak are spring steel, not fiberglass.

19-Mar-17
I'm leaning towards the deluxe and not the VX model. I'm kind of a less seams then better on a tent type of guy. I'm sure it would be fine but.....any other thoughts on then VX vs the standard deluxe?

19-Mar-17
The flex tubes on the current model that was setup at Cabellas last Friday were made of black fiberglass.

19-Mar-17
I have the 10x14 and I love it. The flex tubes on mine are steel. Cannot speak for new models. Had my tent around 4 years.

20-Mar-17
Bow_dude, from the KC website "Flex-Bow Rods: 3/8-inch, solid, spring steel"

I'm thinking the black color you may of mistaken for fiberglass. Unless you carried a Positive Material Indicator gun with you in Cabelas:^)

20-Mar-17

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
It is a quality tent. I have the 10x14, bought in 2015 from Competitive Edge. We sleep 3 guys with cots and gear. Its snug but comfortable. The flex tubes are steel. The floor is heavy material and very tough.

I do not care for the attached awning that comes with it. Doesn't layout well for shedding water when it rains. The first year we used the awning and made our own vestibule out of a tarp. Last year we configured a long tarp that went over top of the whole tent which then provided us with a cooking area without using the attached awning that comes standard. Heres a pic of homemade vestibule. I don't have any pics of last years shelter on this computer.

20-Mar-17
I prop up the awning with a paint roller extension to give more head room and shed snow/rain. The last two years, I have left it at home so end up cutting a branch. You can see it in my pics above. The base of the support sits between the door and window right next to the base of the tent so it's not in the way at all. I'll be sewing in some reinforcement where it contacts the awning.

20-Mar-17
Midwest, did you add the grommet that they spec when you bought the vestibule? I added the grommet like they tell you to even for my homemade vestibule. Problem is the spot where you have to add the grommet the fabric is only 2 thick. Where the factory grommets are placed, the fabric is 4x. First time we pulled the awning tight the fabric ripped where I added the grommets.

20-Mar-17
Yep, same issue. Need extra material sewn in that area. I agree the awning is probably my only disappointment with the tent but I'm going to beef up the corners and it should be fine.

20-Mar-17
I have the 10x10 and wished I had the bigger one. It's great for one person. I use a 10x10 EZ-Up with sides on it and set it right in front of the tent door. I have enough room to cook and keep most of my gear in it. Works great!

20-Mar-17
I have the 10 x 10. The poles and stakes are very heavy steel on mine, but it's several years old. I normally only have one person, with a cot, but I have had two cots and there is a reasonable amount of space in between them.

21-Mar-17

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo
Found some pics, but don't really have any great pics of our add on shelter from last year. By running a long tarp over top of entire tent it gave us a large cooking/eating area with no gaps to let the water in without having to use the awning that comes with tent.

22-Mar-17
I ended up going with a 10x14 Kodiak. Thanks for all the input.

23-Mar-17
After reading this thread and talking to Native Okie, I sent a message to Roy Davis at Davis Tent and got a quote for a custom tent.

My existing 10x12 I bought used and has been used a lot and will be needed to replace sometime in the near future.

Here is the quote

10X12 water mildew treated tent 487.00

32 inch wall height 50.00

Zipper Door N/C

Sod Cloth N/C

Ridge Pole Sleeve N/C

3 inch Stove Jack N/C

Total 537.00 + UPS

Weight aprox 35 LBS

24-Mar-17
Does that include the frame?

24-Mar-17
No frame included.

See the 'ridge pole sleeve'? Thats where a small tree for the ridge pole can be slipped thru them and protrude out and then supported outside in an X fashion

18-May-20
Heads up I finally got one on sale saturday at cabelas 10X14 $487

18-May-20

South Farm's embedded Photo
Set mine up with a 3-dog stove...LOVE IT!

18-May-20
Kodiak Tents are the bomb. Hot or cold, rain or shine you cant go wrong.

18-May-20
This is a great example of a product that copied a proven American made product and is being made in China. People like to talk about how they are going to buy American but in reality they buy stuff like this to save $100 or whatever. I'm sure its a fine tent, but you have other domestic options.

18-May-20
Yep, you can get a Spring Bar 10 x 14 for $1200. Spring Bar also makes a Chinese version, the Highline, for $750.

18-May-20
Holy crap, I just went on Springbar's page. No wonder everybody buys the Kodiak...Springbar's prices have gone WAY up! In all fairness I haven't heard one bad thing about a Kodiak Canvas tent. Their prices used to be a lot more competitive.

18-May-20
The majority of Springbar is made in China now.

I live where they’re made.

They outsourced to China to be able To keep up with demand.

18-May-20
I have the 10 x 14 flexbow deluxe. Outstanding tent. Price is good for the quality received. Spent 12 days in it elk hunting last time I used it and it performed fantastic. They have a new 12x12 cabin tent with a stove jack that I would get now if I was in the market for a family tent or another hunting tent.

18-May-20
Kodiak tent is by far the best tent I've ever owned. A little heavy, but what a dream to set up and take down. When UPS dropped of my Kodiak, from the time I opened the box till it was completely set up was about 7 minutes.

19-May-20
A quality product is a quality product no matter where it's made. I simply don't have time, nor inclination, to weigh politics with every single purchase I make, not to mention I'm not willing to pay double the price for basically the same tent. For the record my stove is American made by Don Kevilus of Four Dog Stoves...and I HIGHLY recommend them!

19-May-20
The only complaint I have with mine is i haven’t figured out how to hang a lantern. I usually have just me or one more guy in the tent so sit table across the back wall between the cots. BUT, it would be nice to get the light up high.

19-May-20
Shrewski...in the pics above I hang mine from a clothesline I stretched from one end to the other. Not the greatest option but it works good enough...just watch you don't bang your head on it.

19-May-20
10-4, I’ll try some of that no stretch rope like dyneema or something. Figured it would be too heavy for those loops.

19-May-20
Just be mindful that they put out a bunch of heat and will melt most anything non-metal that you hang it from. I found out the hard way.

19-May-20
Love my 10x14 Kodiak. Great price, easy setup, and canvas - with a floor. Only improvement would be if they came with a stove jack installed.

19-May-20

squid's embedded Photo
squid's embedded Photo
I just purchased one of these and set it up for the first time in the yard to season it. Really nice quality, should last a lifetime. Took about 15 minutes to setup and the majority of that time was pounding the stakes in the ground.

20-May-20
Old School...you can get a stove jack for $35 and have a canvas place sew it in for ya. All in I think I was around $80 to get my stove jack installed. I installed mine on the backside of the tent...that way in summer I can flip the awning up and over the top of the tent and cover the exposed stove jack hole to prevent mosquitoes and rain from coming in...just guy it down to the corners and it works great. To be honest that awning is kind of worthless for much else anyway...really the only weak link in the tent as far as I'm concerned.

20-May-20
I bought a stove jack about a year ago - but am having problems finding anyplace around here (SW Missouri) that has any clue about sewing one in. I agree about the awning. It is good for collecting about 10 gallons worth of rain water if you leave it up during a rain storm.

20-May-20

Old School's embedded Photo
Old School's embedded Photo
Here’s our setup for 2020 Spring Turkey/Crappie camp

20-May-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I put a paint roller extension pole up to the center of the awning for more head room and keeps the rain off. Or a stick when I forget the pole. :-)

20-May-20
I learned in Colorado that 6" of hail is hell on that awning, although it got my elk home nice and cold!

20-May-20

Native Okie's embedded Photo
I second Midwest’s point on the pole. I had cattle tear my awning last year after coming back back to camp in a downpour. I was pissed off all night and the next morning until about 9:30 when I killed my bull :^)

21-May-20
if it makes a difference to you and I think it should, the Springbar tents are made in the USA and the Kodiaks are made in China, the Springbars are the original and Kodiaks are the knock offs

21-May-20
For the 30th time....the staggering majority of springbar, especially the ones in stock, are made in China!!!

22-May-20
You can get the USA made Springbar for $1200 vs $500 for the Kodiak or you can get the Chinese made Springbar for $750.

22-May-20
i bet the USA spring bar still has chinese components.

23-May-20
My Springbar was made in the USA and the original design is still cut and sewn in UT. Mine is 18 years old and looks as good as new.

25-May-20

Basinboy's embedded Photo
Basinboy's embedded Photo
Great tent I’ve used one for several years!

26-May-20
Is it hard to sing the praises of your springbar being made in the USA from the comforts of an office chair made in CHINA, while typing on a CHINESE made computer? Like I said before, a good product is a good product regardless of where it's made. Ethnocentrism only goes so far and hardly worth the time it takes to stay true. I know I have better things to do than worry about where the hell every damn thing I buy comes from..

02-Jun-20
I've been following this thread and looking at the Kodiak Canvas and Competitive Edge websites. But thought you guys could give me your opinions/advice. 1. How tough is the floor in these tents? Shouldn't you place a tarp under the floor to protect it? 2. Is the canvas so waterproof that you don't need to throw a tarp over the whole thing? My first elk hunt in 1992, we used a canvas tent that we painted canvak on. Still had to use a tarp on it to stay dry. So I'm kinda leary of canvas tents. Thanks in advance for any input/advice/opinions, Paul

02-Jun-20
Paul - the floor is tough as nails. A super heavy vinyl type. We try to put a tarp under it, but don’t always.

As far as water proof, in “normal” rain, it’s no problem and we’ve never tarped over the top with 1 exception. That exception was in Idaho when it rained/snowed for about 5 straight days - that saturated the roof so we needed to put a tarp over the top. It’s a great tent and for most normal years you won’t need a tarp over the top. A day or two of rain and it’s no problem.

-Mitch

02-Jun-20

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Floor is real thick and tough. I think Completive Edge will give you a ground tarp with it. They did with mine and I always use it.

I've never had to put a tarp over the top and I've been through some real wet hunts with several days of rain and snow. Never a leak. Just be sure you "season" the canvas as instructed the first time you set it up in the yard.

02-Jun-20
Thanks for your help Mitch. That's the kind of info I want. On another elk hunt in 1996, I was in a different canvas tent. With no floor, it was a constant battle chasing the mice out. This was a September bow hunt, so it was warm. I don't keep food in the tent, but just curious if mice are a problem chewing through the tent to get inside. A friend had his nylon/whatever tent chewed up on another hunt.

02-Jun-20
I've never had an issue with mice chewing through anything on my Kodiak Canvas - and the thick sewed in floor keeps all varmits out. And as far as the rainproof - even after the 5 days of rain/snow, we didn't have rain coming in the tent, the roof was just saturated.

02-Jun-20
Thanks Midwest, you're right. I just checked with Competitive edge and they include a ground tarp that is smaller than the footprint of the tent. I'm leaning toward the VX that has six windows since I do some early season bowhunts. This sounds like a solid product.

02-Jun-20
Looks like the wind would destroy that thing in just a lil bit?

02-Jun-20
When I set mine up the first time in my yard to season it, I left it up a couple of days. We had a storm come through with terrible straight line winds. I was at work when it came through and I rushed home after the storm passed expecting my tent to be in the next zip code. There were trees and branches down all over town and in my yard but the tent was unscathed. After several trips to Wyoming, I've had to deal with some wind and the tent has always been rock solid.

02-Jun-20
I have the 10X14 set up in my back yard now. Had a guy approach me on another site asking if it was for sale. I had put it up to make sure it was in good shape prior to dealing with him. It was as good as the day I bought it several years ago. We could not come to an agreement on the price and I was not going to "give" it away. He mentioned Competitive Edge as a source as have others on this thread. Looks like they have really nice prices on this tent but are out of stock or low on stock on most everything. When they get their stock built up it may be a great source for anyone looking to buy one. I got mine from Cabela's years ago and their current price is $649.99. Seems like that is about what I paid several years ago. The Competitive Edge was much cheaper but apparently hard to get from them at present. It has been a great tent for me but they are very heavy and I only use it when truck camping. I have gone to very light teepee tents for most of my hunting.

02-Jun-20
"After several trips to Wyoming, I've had to deal with some wind and the tent has always been rock solid." I'd say that's about the best endorsement for a tent you can get in terms of wind!

02-Jun-20
Experienced 40+ mph winds in Idaho and the Kodiak doesn’t blink. Rock solid.

-Mitch

02-Jun-20
Thanks Mitch. I think I'm going to buy the 10x10 VX. Any bigger and people start wanting to camp with you. Don't want to hear anybody snoring but me. I'm guessing the 10x14 is more difficult for one man to set up alone.

02-Jun-20
10X14 is easily set up by one person. The difference is the 10X10 has a few less stakes to drive. I can set my 10X14 up by my self in less than 30 minutes. About the same for a buddy's 10X10

03-Jun-20
With regard to wind, I had mine up one November in Iowa and a very bad storm can thru. Bad enough that I bailed and stayed at a friends place for the night. One of my awning poles cane undone and that was the extent of the damage. Next time I will just put the awning down I’d there is BAD weather coming. The tent is SOLID.

03-Jun-20

03-Jun-20
I’ve got the 10x14 and one person can set it up without much trouble. 2 people can have the tent setup in 10 minutes.

04-Jun-20
How long does it takes everybody to set up their 10 x 10 versus 10 x 14? I don't need a tent that takes 30 minutes to set up.

04-Jun-20
If you look at the setup design, I can’t really believe that there would be a noticeable difference between the 10x10 and 10x14 setup time. Only difference is your pole running the length of the tent would be 4’ shorter. If it takes 2 people more than 10 minutes to setup this tent, you’re drinking a couple cups of coffee during setup. It’s one of the simplest, most basic designs you could find. 1 top horizontal pole and a pole on each end.

04-Jun-20
Setting the stakes takes most of the time.

04-Jun-20
Thanks for your input Old School. I'll be hunting solo, and possibly moving camp a few times, so speed and ease of setup is important. Extra room is always better, unless it takes a lot longer to setup.

04-Jun-20
Nick is right - pounding in the stakes takes more time than anything else.

04-Jun-20
"How long does it takes everybody to set up their 10 x 10 versus 10 x 14? I don't need a tent that takes 30 minutes to set up."

How long does it take you to pound a dozen stakes in the ground? Honestly folks, THAT is the "hardest" part of setting up a Kodiak Tent. Once that's done it takes maybe five minutes to install the roof and endwall poles. Beginning to end, including installing my woodstove, setting up cots/table, unrolling the bags, hanging the lantern, and drinking a celebratory Hamms, I can EASILY set the whole works up in under 30 minutes...and most of that is spent drinking the Hamms! I'll also say if there's a wind that can blow this setup down I haven't seen it yet...they're rock solid!

04-Jun-20
Thanks guys for your advice!

04-Jun-20
As I said before - 7 minutes first time set up out of the box.

When my brother and I were in CO a few years ago, a storm came in and the wind REALLY blew with heavy rain and hail the covered the ground white. Not one drop of moisture of any kind came in and it held fast against the wind - didn't have to reset anything.

I just can't say enough good about the Kodiak. The only "minor" issue is that it's a bit heavy, but I camp out of the truck so that isn't an issue for me.

04-Jun-20
I have the 10x10 and wish I’d gotten the bigger one. That said, I love my tent. Super easy to set up, just heavy. Btw, I don’t use the stakes much, instead I bought some 10” (I think) lag bolts and washers . Then I use my battery powered impact driver with a socket adapter. Zip zip and I’m done. Though I still bring a hand sledge and the stakes just in case.

04-Jun-20

stykzz's embedded Photo
stykzz's embedded Photo

04-Jun-20
From experience...make sure you open the doors before you try to pop the end poles up or you'll be fighting a losing war against a giant billow! Learned that the hard way after sweating for half and hour trying to raise the roof...without first reading the setup instructions (allegedly);) If you don't open the doors you will NEVER raise the roof without giving yourself a hernia, but easy as pie if you do..

04-Jun-20
Correct you are South Farm.

04-Jun-20
Another tip, only put your stakes in half way, THEN raise the roof. Then go back and finish the stakes.

Also, I leave my window flaps open before I collapse it, then I don’t have the billows effect when I set up.

04-Jun-20
I use the stakes from my Alaknak. The "J" shaped hooks that come with the tent are a bit of a pain to drive in. They say to use a rubber mallet and that may work better, I haven't tried that.

04-Jun-20
I ordered today, tried coupon code “bowsite” but had no luck

05-Jun-20
I use a rubber mallet, doesn't slide off the rounded edge or the tent peg, but an axe or hatchet turned side-ways works good enough too.

05-Jun-20
Just bought a 10x14 used off CL. Seems to be in really good shape. Figured $350 wasn’t a bad deal.

05-Jun-20
I ordered mine this Thursday, received shipping confirmation Friday morning

09-Jun-20

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
Less than 15 minutes from the box to fully setup. Shouldn’t take any longer to set up than my backpacking tent and definitely less than my 4 man 4 season done. A storm is brewing so she will get a good soaking!

06-Oct-21
I recently bought the Kodiak Canvas 10x10VX, with the windows on all four sides. Just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice you guys gave me! Paul

06-Oct-21
4 windows??? I may need to upgrade!

07-Oct-21
I picked up a slightly used 10x14 off Craigslist a couple months ago, it's been fantastic, should've bought one of these way sooner for the car camping trips!

07-Oct-21

Djl's embedded Photo
Bear Camp
Djl's embedded Photo
Bear Camp
Severe thunderstorm warning with hail, torrential rain and 60+ mph winds. No problem. Jumped into truck because of lightning strikes.

07-Oct-21

tradi-doerr's embedded Photo
Been using mine since 2017, 10x14, love it, super easy and fast to set up. Holds up great in heavy rain/wind, heats up great with a Buddy Heater. But not so well for wet heavy snow as it caused the seams to stretch and leak. After drying out it was fine, but a tarp thrown over the top cured that issue.

07-Oct-21

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Mine survived some pretty heavy, wet snow with no leaks. I seem to remember getting up in the night and shoving some off with a broom, though. That probably helped.

07-Oct-21

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
I have tarped mine when heavy snow is expected. It has a few war wound from vermin, but it meets my needs. (10x14). 2021.

07-Oct-21
You guys with the vestibules, does it do anything to help with the sag of the awning? Thinking about adding one to my set-up. I've used the extra pole, angled pitch, etc... but hoping the attachment may make that unnecessary.

07-Oct-21
Paul - you will not be disappointed. Great choice.

07-Oct-21
Great tents, I have the 12x12 lodge tent. Has been amazing so far.

07-Oct-21
"You guys with the vestibules, does it do anything to help with the sag of the awning?"

I have a vestibule but the awning would still sag. Solved that problem witn an adjustable tent pole salvaged from an older tent, topped with a 2x2 about 5-6 ft long running horizontally. This pole is set right up at the base of the tent, not really in the way.

07-Oct-21

Same here, extendable pole. Love mine, got it after the advice from Midwest! This was in Utah on a general hunt.

08-Oct-21
I have a 10x14 Kodiak canvas. I have only had it about a year and only Have used it a handful of times. But it’s a sweet tent and I really like it

10-Oct-21
Good thread

• Sitka Gear