sbschindler 20-Mar-17
Backpack Hunter 20-Mar-17
Ironbow 20-Mar-17
writer 21-Mar-17
ACB 21-Mar-17
ACB 21-Mar-17
Dan Mallia 04-Apr-17
20-Mar-17
I have a lookout hen DSD and have enough Cabela's points to pick up another decoy. Would you pick a jake or a feeding hen? I have a Cabela's full body strutter that I might add real feathers to. If I do that, would you get a jake or another hen DSD?

20-Mar-17
I'd get the Jake, since you have a hen already. Seems to drive Toms nuts, IME... best of luck!

20-Mar-17
I agree with Nick, the Jake as there are times that other toms will respond to the full strutter in a negative way and stay their distance. I have not had that happen with the jake decoys.

20-Mar-17
Get the jake. It is the one decoy that seems to produce the most consistent results for my hunting.

20-Mar-17
If I only had one, it would be the jake.

20-Mar-17
I agree with the above GET THE JAKE

20-Mar-17
Seems everyone is in agreement so far. I would get the jake as well.

20-Mar-17
Thanks. A jake it will be.

21-Mar-17
What they said. If you only carry one, make it a jake, set low to the ground. Just the fact that a jake is alive, ticks toms off to no end -- ANY time of the year. (Dunno why more hunters don't fall and winter hunt with a jake decoy.)

21-Mar-17
It is not just it is a Jake , but a Jake with a red head . Most mature toms will not tolerate a Jake that does not submit to a Tom's presence by taking the color out of his head .

21-Mar-17
If you have 2 hen decoys put your Jake at about 15 yds feeding hen at 10 and look out hen 2 yds in front of you . Put a gobbler fan on your bow to hide behind . This is a killer set up on field edge with you just inside of woods beside a big tree . Or on edge of clearing in woods or in big timber . I have had a mob of jakes come running across the field . To subdue the DSD Jake and when I started perring and they saw the fan they came to mob the gobbler . I would thrust my arm out they would back up or side step me then when I would pull it back they would lunge in perring the whole time and I was perring all the while . They could not flank me because of the big tree I was beside . This went on for several min . I told my buddy I was going to start hunting them with a ball bat . O and next best place for this is in a wide open field . Now I am 6'3" and 260 + so I am not little , but once they are committed it is hard to run them off . No blind needed .

04-Apr-17
Another vote for the Jake. Been the demise of many a Tom...........

• Sitka Gear