aboks 20-Mar-17
tobinsghost 22-Mar-17
writer 22-Mar-17
Timbrhuntr 23-Mar-17
longbeard 23-Mar-17
smarba 23-Mar-17
C.Beck 29-Mar-17
20-Mar-17
Just purchased a 'breeder hen' type decoy to use in my set-up. How would you arrange the decoys. Facing you? Facing away? At a 90 degree angle? Strutter nearby, or jake? Lets hear your opinions.

20-Mar-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

20-Mar-17

I have had good luck with the above setups. My jake or strutter over a bedded hen, and then two other hen decoys off to the side. The tom usually goes right to the tom decoy.
I have had good luck with the above setups. My jake or strutter over a bedded hen, and then two other hen decoys off to the side. The tom usually goes right to the tom decoy.
I set up the decoys at 10-15 yards.
I set up the decoys at 10-15 yards.

20-Mar-17
It looks like 90* works well ! I would say it depends on what shot you like on a turkey. I'm comfortable with almost any shot angle as long as the word " close " is in the sentence! :)

20-Mar-17
The majority of my body shots are broadside but an incoming tom is likely to dance around some and show you a variety of angles.

20-Mar-17
I try to face them towards the blind or the opposite direction I believe the birds will be coming from. Have had birds that have made eye contact with decoys when facing them hang up out of range, seems like they wonder why the decoys don't acknowledge them like a live bird and get spooky. If the decoys are facing away and the live birds cant see their eyes, my experience has been that even if they hang up , they will eventually work their way in to make eye contact????? just my two cents

22-Mar-17
Aboks X2!

22-Mar-17
Hey, Paul, have any photos of you and turkeys? :-)

23-Mar-17
I agree the jake over the breeder hen works great. I have also had good success with a lone strutting tom placed at the field edge facing the woods like he is strutting for a nesting hen that can't be seen.

23-Mar-17
Really doesn't matter which way the breeder hen faces. As long as the target Tom is able to see your strutter decoy from a long way off and he is in the right mood, he will come investigate. He will then see the hen as he gets closer. I agree with above comments, I would use a strutting or semi strutting jake

23-Mar-17
If only Paul had a photo so that I could visualize what he's talking about ;o) LOL

Thx and good luck to all this spring - gobble gobble!!! Carl

29-Mar-17
Paul- AWESOME!!!!! Thanks for the advise and visual stimulants!!!!!

• Sitka Gear