APauls 21-Mar-17
Brotsky 21-Mar-17
Fuzzy 21-Mar-17
Fuzzy 21-Mar-17
petedrummond 21-Mar-17
petedrummond 21-Mar-17
OFFHNTN 21-Mar-17
21-Mar-17
I plan on going to Ontario this spring and wondering what your thoughts are on tipping for a successful hunt that is semi guided.

21-Mar-17
If they provide a good service and actually help with the hunt, even if just supplying baits for bait sites and help in some way and you are pleased with what they have done, nothing wrong with tipping. Scooby

21-Mar-17
I am also curious on this. My understanding of our trip is that it will be mostly DIY including the skinning and baiting while we are there. It will depend a little on what exactly they do and other factors, but was thinking in the 50-100 range. Is that being too cheap?

21-Mar-17
IMO, tipping for great service is standard operating procedure, regardless of the success of the hunt. If "above and beyond effort" is provided by the guide, then I believe the tip is commensurate with the effort.

On a guided hunt, most outfitters and hunt booking agents will tell you that 10% is quite good for a job well done. I would assume that a semi guided would obviously be somewhat less than that.

US cash is always appreciated regardless of a hunt in Canada or the US.

Mark

21-Mar-17
They bait until we get up there. Once there they will show us a station that is active. After that they supply the bait, but we do the rest. They will help track and retrieve.

21-Mar-17
Is that like a tip at a restaurant when you pick up your meal? Depends on the service provided I would say. How much help do you receive? If you basically don't see the people, no tip required. If they come take care of your bear, some tip required. If your baseline is 10% for a guided hunt, and 0 for non-guided how much changed in between as far as workload?

21-Mar-17
+1 Mark. My first thought was success or failure should not influence the amount of the tip. If what you are paying the outfitter to provide is provided in a way that meets or exceeds your expectations then a tip is definitely warranted regardless of outcome. U.S. funds are good and in an amount you deem appropriate, 10% give or take would be perfect.

21-Mar-17
pre-hunt baiting, during hunt baiting, helping find/recover downed game, skinning? 10% at least.

21-Mar-17
I'd plan on 10% and adjust it based on perceived effort

21-Mar-17
If its so self guided it must be real cheap. Ten percent of real cheap wouldnt amount to much.

21-Mar-17
If its so self guided it must be real cheap. Ten percent of real cheap wouldnt amount to much.

21-Mar-17
Yes, always tip if you are happy regardless of success. Bear baiting is a lot of work, driving yourself to and from the stand is the easy part.

• Sitka Gear