bb 30-Mar-17
Fuzzy 31-Mar-17
HighLife 31-Mar-17
bb 31-Mar-17
Fuzzy 31-Mar-17
Scar Finga 31-Mar-17
HighLife 01-Apr-17
28-Mar-17
Have any of you hunted moose after October 15 in Newfoundland?

28-Mar-17
A little background. I won the P&Y winter raffle for a combo caribou/moose/bear hunt and the outfitter has the first two weeks of September open and the last two weeks of October open. I am leaning towards hunting 3rd week of October. I know caribou will be awesome, but was curious about any moose experiences in middle to late October. Thanks!

Lenny

28-Mar-17
Yes, I have hunted late oct and November numerous times. They are very huntable then. The only issue is going to be weather, I have hunted late OCT and it was 80 degrees during the day with black flies. They don't move much during the day with those kind of temps. But you have to work with the hand your dealt.

28-Mar-17
Thanks, Brian.

28-Mar-17
Only thing that matters is a guide that gets you in the bush. If you get that confirmed any of those weeks will be fine. Good luck!

28-Mar-17
I hunted on the Victoria River this past year Oct 31 through Nov 5. The weather was unseasonably warm, with lows overnight from 30 F at night up to 45 F daytime, damp, breezy, drizzly. Snow is possible then (I hit some on the drive out to the Ferry) caribou and moose were both very active. I was in camp with 4 hunters and we had all killed smallish bulls by the 4th. I saw a very nice bull that we couldn't get on for a shot.

28-Mar-17
Congrats Lenny!

Look forward to following along on your adventure!

Mark

28-Mar-17
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Thanks, Mark! Archery season is looking much better for me than it was a month ago. I have this hunt plus I pulled an archery elk tag in Arizona!

28-Mar-17
Caribou will be good to eat the closer you get into late October. Moose should be feeding and moving. Good Luck.

28-Mar-17
I guess I have been lucky and have never shot a caribou that I could not or would not eat. I have heard stories of bad meat just never encountered one myself. I have shot two and they both tasted like lamb to me. Enjoy.

28-Mar-17
As long as they aren't in the rut. You will know before you eat them, If they are rutty, the meat smells like you marinated them in piss when it's cooking. They can be like that anytime in Oct.

29-Mar-17
If you hunt moose outside the rut and are strictly bow only your odds are much lower. I would shoot the first moose you are in range with unless you are hunting with one of the premier outfits (even then you will know right away what your situation is).

The odds of shooting a really big bull outside the rut with bow is doable but I honestly think the odds are no different than shooting a big elk. It took me a couple trips to realize NF is no slam dunk when it comes to big bulls.

There are a lot of moose but that's not the same as a lot of big bulls. I love NF but it humbled me the first trip and made me realize it's still hunting and it's not an easy hunt (even with rifle).

Good luck!

29-Mar-17
brian is so right on the meat, you will wretch when you cut into the meat if it is rutting. if you really try to be bold and salvage a backstrap and put it in the frying pan you will clear out the cabin for a week or two.

when it is good it is great and when it is bad you will vomit at the smell.

29-Mar-17
I agree with Grant. I killed one (caribou) in Newfoundland in early October that was absolutely inedible and I'll eat about anything.

Your third week should be ok for moose and fine for caribou. Congrats, can't wait to hear about your fall adventures!

29-Mar-17
Am headed back this fall for the week of Oct. 8th. The previous 6 trips were the last week of Oct. or the first week of Nov. Have taken four bulls and two cows. All were gun hunts and some were quick as bull came to call...others were tough as was some of the weather...deep snow. Have seen some 40 plus in. bulls taken though. Moose will be feeding for winter and bulls looking for cows not bred. Have seen some absolutely gorgeous bull caribou but our hunt area was a no tag area.

30-Mar-17
Brian, you say "marinated in piss" like it's a bad thing...

30-Mar-17
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the comments. I have hunted the Rock twice before and killed a nice bou the second week of October in 2013. And you are right, the meat from mine was pretty bad. One of the guides took it. We did eat some of my buddy Kyle's bou (KTH) and it was not bad. As of now I am planning on going late October, but just wanted to see if a bunch of you have had archery moose success in late October. I was unsuccessful for moose the last week of September in 2015 and it was super warm.

30-Mar-17
Cecil, I know you rebels have your own ideas on what constitutes good table fare but for the rest of us...we have a different idea.

30-Mar-17
lol...true :) y'all don't even like biscuits and gravy and sweet tea...

30-Mar-17
canned squirrel brains is up near the top of the list.

31-Mar-17
yuuuummmm!!!!!!!!!!!

31-Mar-17
So Brian I take it you do not want any of my mouthwatering coon recipes? Don't know what your missing! Make ya wanna slap your Momma their that good ;>

31-Mar-17
Cecil, you.re not right.

General, I used to hunt coons with hounds, I have skinned and fleshed so many coons that there isn't a chance I could bring myself to eat one. There are plenty of other things I can find to get sick on, I don't need another option.

31-Mar-17
lol..honestly Dave, raccoon is the only critter I've ever killed, dressed and cooked (besides those nasty exotic sheep all the fance hunt places have) that I really don't care for. I've done several, and edible is about as good as it gets. Now muskrat, groundhog, squirrel, mountain lion, bobcat, starlings, crows, snapping turtle, frog, that's all good.

31-Mar-17
I love those redneck eats!! Bring it on!

Scar.

01-Apr-17
Yup lots and lots of bbq sauce lol

• Sitka Gear