writer 29-Mar-17
bowcrazyJRHCO 29-Mar-17
t-roy 29-Mar-17
29-Mar-17

Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
I started hunting spring turkeys about 14 years ago when a buddy talked me into going. I traveled to Michigan and hunted them with my compound. Everyone said I was nuts just get a shotgun. Over the next 7 or so years I keep chasing them and with several close encounters but never able to stick one. Then in 2010 I suffered major injuries to my shoulders and then to my back and looked like I wouldn’t be able to shoot a bow again. Over the next several years I tried unsuccessfully to shoot my bow. I resorted to hunting with a crossbow and shotgun and although I killed many birds I still had the longing to get one with a compound bow. Well last year I was able to shoot a variable poundage PSE at low poundage but enough to kill a bird. I started to practice. I talked to a buddy in Nebraska and he invited me to come out for the spring archery season. So yesterday in the pouring rain I decided to set up in a pine ridge bordering a pasture and set out a couple decoys. I had several toms come around but none were interested in my set-up. Then finally at around noon a group of toms and jakes walked out of the woods and 3 of the toms seemed to take exception to the jake decoy and walked up. I had the front window open but the toms stopped on the left side and began to semi strut giving me no shot. Ahhhhh not again. I decided to slowly open the left window and as I just got it open about 10” one of the toms must have caught movement. He started to putt and turned to leave with the others following. I made a few light putts as I started to draw and thankfully one of the toms stopped. I was at full draw trying to get my arrow above the blind edge and my site picture on the bird vitals. Finally I was able to get a good site window and released the arrow getting a pass through and saw the tom run but with a bad limp. I watched for what seemed like hours as he walked out into a pasture away from the other birds then finally tipped over. Archery Tom down woo hoo ! So Kia it can be done you can get the monkey off your back even if it takes a while LOL !!

29-Mar-17

29-Mar-17
Congrats ! Good for you.

29-Mar-17
Good job bud

29-Mar-17
Awsome!!

29-Mar-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Way to go Timbrhuntr! Great bird! Kia gives him two solid thumbs up! Way to stick with it! Congrats!

29-Mar-17
Perseverance! Congrats Timbrhuntr!

Pretty sure with Kia's positive personality and Dad's life coaching there is Tom "dead on his feet" in SD already!

Mark

29-Mar-17
Congrats brotha!

29-Mar-17
Raised one like her. Failure, leads to determination and accomplishing goals far more difficult than the original. Turkeys in home state are going to be cussing those that were so rude in California.

29-Mar-17
Congrats. Nice bird - one of the my favorite targets with a bow.

29-Mar-17
Scoot X2! Kia, looking forward to see your smiling face and those nails sitting behind your first bird this Spring!

A big congrats to you too, timbrhuntr! Way to stay with it and stay persistent. The first year that I switched to bow only, it took me the entire season before I was finally able to tag my first bowkilled turk. It was just a Jake, but I don't think I've ever felt more satisfaction on any turkey I've ever taken since.

• Sitka Gear