Mike Ukrainetz 01-May-17
Charlie Rehor 01-May-17
Huntcell 01-May-17
Mike Ukrainetz 02-May-17
Mike Ukrainetz 02-May-17
NY Bowman 03-May-17
30-Apr-17

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Big bear with a Bow or Gun, it's your choice.
Big bear with a Bow or Gun, it's your choice.

Mike Ukrainetz's Link
Hey Bowsiters, It's that exciting time of the year, Trophy Spring Bear Hunting over bait! Click on the link for an exciting ground level video, with 3 kill shots. This is the most exciting, enjoyable and challenging way to hunt bears, especially with a bow.

Our outfit is in Northwestern Alberta, home of the giant bears, high population and lots of colored ones. We now hunt exclusively from safe, bear proof, rain proof, bug free, human scent free, wooden ground blinds. We target the big mature, cub killing, calf moose killing boars. Our goal is to get everyone a chance at a 7+ foot, 300 plus pound male bear, maybe even a colored one. Just like they do with deer, Quality Bear Management is our system. I hope you enjoy this year's thread! Thanks for tuning in.

30-Apr-17
Good luck Mike! Will be following!

30-Apr-17
Always enjoy this thread. Best of luck this season!

30-Apr-17
The "most challenging" way to hunt bears? Exaggeration of the week right there! It may be a great, fun hunt, but it is the LEAST challenging way to hunt bears...with a bow or any other weapon.

Really, you sit in a tree that the outfitter selected, in a stand the outfitter set, over a bait that the outfitter placed and continually replenishes, have a shot at a very manageable distance, and are likely to simply choose your bear, seeing multiple quality bears. You eat food cooked for you, stay in cabins, get driven to the bait and picked up at the end of the day. You get the bear skinned and processed for you. It's likely that the outfitter will even have trail cam pics of the bears that frequent your bait, so to some degree you can choose which bear you want to shoot ahead of time. And then the kicker: "We now hunt exclusively from safe, bear proof, rain proof, bug free, human scent free, wooden ground blinds." Challenge? Anything but!

I'm sorry, where is the "most challenging" part here? I get that sales pitches are always exaggerated, but this "most challenging" line is such total bull I had to call you on it.

30-Apr-17
Overland, Mike is a respected outfitter here and most of us Bowsiters love this thread. Please delete your thread so we can enjoy Mike's posts about his incredible bear season.

30-Apr-17
Korey,

Nowhere did I disparage Mike or his operation. I understand he is a respected outfitter and offers quality hunts. I did not suggest otherwise. My post only questioned his outrageous claim of "most challenging."

I'm certain you and others can enjoy Mike's posts even with my comment.

30-Apr-17
I just don't understand why people are compelled to take trophy photos with the hunters in the next county behind an obviously already BIG bear. For christ sake, the bear's ears are as big as these hunters heads.

01-May-17
Hey guys let's not get too fired up! Wow. Right out of the gate. haha. Some passionate people here.

To clear up a couple things it is a challenging way to hunt them, when you are trying for the big ones or every single one of my hunters would have a 20 plus inch head, 7 1/2 footer. Even with all of the care we put into our setups a good sized 6 1/2+ foot Pope and Young 18 incher is no guarantee, but it sure is fun trying.

And Quinn I agree it's a cool looking picture, the hunters are sitting at the back of the bears touching them and I lay down to take the picture, the beauty of an iphone! Come hunt bears with us and we'll take a picture of you like that.

Good luck to everyone this spring and I hope you enjoy the thread.

01-May-17
Overland I respectfully disagree! 12 hours on stand through an all day rain storm turning to sleet then snow to have a shot in the last 30 minutes. I'm sure at some point you have been there Then get a bear out in the dark where your traversing slews, mud, and downed trees. Then a long quad ride getting buried in a mud hole with water over your boots while winching out all in the dark and then getting back to camp at 2:00 a.m. Yes it does become challenging at times. Its not always as easy as you may think! Sure sometimes it is easy but many times it is not as weather and Bears do not always cooperate. The outfitters put a huge amount of effort into these hunts. I can understand where your coming from somewhat but I believe your overseeing many factors. As Mike stated the challenging part is getting on a Giant bear and having a lot of fun while doing it.

01-May-17

One of the first big boars of the year! When his shoulders are as tall as the barrel that's all you need to know to know he is a shooter!!

Now the challenge is will he stay a daytime hitter? Or as soon as he realizes he is being hunted will he go nocturnal, or just become a random hitter or will the hunter make a mistake and shoot the big, fat sow on the bait that looks just like him but is short and fat?

Our first guys come in today. Whooohooo!

01-May-17
One of the threads I look forward to every spring. Great pics and stories...keep em coming Mike. Good luck to you.

01-May-17
Looking forward to your thread (and pics of giant bears killed) again this year Mike!

Good luck to you and your hunters!

Mark

01-May-17
Best of luck to you and your hunters Mike! Looking forward to following along this spring! Have a safe and successful spring season!

01-May-17
Love it but you're going to make it a long week! See you next Monday, Mike! Chris

01-May-17
Challenging? Dang right as evidenced by the number of hunters who are fortunate enough to shoot a 300# bear! Doesn't happen very often and therefore makes it a huge challenge!

01-May-17
Was just trying to help! Again, not very challenging, but fun.

01-May-17

First hunters of the year!
First hunters of the year!
The First group of brave bear hunters! From left to right, Doug Kizzar, Randy Ginest, Tom Cantrememberlastname and Rob Ginest. This is Randy's 4th bear hunt with us, Doug's 2nd and Tom and Rob's first.

01-May-17
When you get to trophy class everything gets much harder. Good luck guys. C

01-May-17
Wow could have started his own thread with that story!

Mike is that a raven sitting on the post?

Some Would think it bad Ju-ju! I think its great ju-ju them ravens are like call signal for bears "Dinner served"

02-May-17

One of our target bears! A beautiful and big cinnamon!!
One of our target bears! A beautiful and big cinnamon!!
Some big bear action yesterday evening! Pictures coming soon.

and yes huntcell that's a raven, they are a permanent fixture at every bait site, even when the hunter is sitting there.

02-May-17
Hi again bowsiters, we had an exciting first evening of hunting but you will have to go to the NEW, Mike's Outfitting bear thread to see pics. This thread got kind of hijacked and it's already too dam long, especially on a phone. I'll create the new one very soon here. Thanks again for tuning in...

03-May-17
Sorry for the long post. It has been removed. Just trying to help show that you should prepare. I do agree that it isn't a very challenging hunt for the hunter, but it is fun.

• Sitka Gear