'Ike' (Phone) 12-May-17
03-May-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
So I head off to Nebraska again but this time, a different place
So I head off to Nebraska again but this time, a different place
There is something about a great sunset, a state full of turkeys, time on my hands, and money for a non resident turkey tag.

03-May-17
Oh baby!! Best of luck. I can't wait to go back to Nebraska !! Hunt

03-May-17

What else is inspiring is a tom turkey way out in the field following two hens around.

03-May-17
My good friend Jerry invited me to hunt with him and stay in his trailer in a RV Park. He would show me a few new spots as he was trying to kill his third time for the season. I had the time and accepted the invitation. We left 48 hours ago. Well the very first day and the very first hour after hiking in a mile, Jerry catches two toms (they must have been asleep on their feet) he kills one with a well placed arrow in a spot and stalk attempt.

I hunted there the next day and almost had a tom in range but he shied away from the decoys. Spending all day there was a good scouting and hunting trip and I learned a lot about this new area. The next day he would take me to a new place. The morning turned out to be of less action and only one tom and two hens were in the area. This tom had no competition and he did not come to calls or decoys. Time to move. Back at the truck, Jerry had spotted three toms courting 4-5 hens a mile off the road and way back in. COMPETITION WITHIN THE FLOCK!! I KNEW EXACTLY WHERE I WOULD BE IN THE LAST pm.

03-May-17

At 2 pm I hike in the mile and set up. My old T-2 blind has served my well over the year. With a new paint job, good to go. There is a chance of rain off and on but now it is warmer so I take off a few clothing layers before the hike in. Pictured is my usually set up with the jake, bedded hen right in front of him, and then two other hens off to the side. This set up has accounted for a lot of turkey kills as it did early in the season when I killed a good tom with the recurve bow..

03-May-17
Well the 50% chance of rain turned out to be 100% and by 6 pm I was really thinking about heading back to the truck. I was cold and hungry. I started to pack up when the tom gobbled. I warmed up really fast and forgot about eating.

I sent him a few raspy cackles on my trusty box call. He gobbled back from inside the pine forest 150 yards away but I was unable to see him. We exchanged a few songs over the next 30 minutes. I hear a hen and answer her back. He gobbles again. I switch to a higher pitched mouth call. He hammers my call. Will he come of not?

03-May-17

I can not see the path he is on until I see his tail in full. I give out one more hen call and he keeps coming and now only 100 feet away.

03-May-17

He spies the flock set up and come charging in, actual knocking the hen out of the away and attacks the jake decoy. Down goes the camera and up comes the compound bow. He almost game me a Texas Heart Shot but hen he turns slight. Arrow on its way, bow down, and camera up.

03-May-17
Congrats!

03-May-17

My typing on the above paragraph sucks. Anyway he tries to fly but with the arrow still in him and a broken wing and leg, he was not going to go far. He makes it 100 feet and is down, his head lowering each second. Hard to miss at 15 yards and I wished I had had my recurve bow but the T2 blind it not tall enough for that bow.

03-May-17

As I found him on the hillside. This is a Merrians turkey in this part of Nebraska.

03-May-17

9 1/2 in beard. I would guess he is a three year old.
9 1/2 in beard. I would guess he is a three year old.
Great hooks of a 1 3/8
Great hooks of a 1 3/8
Having too much fun?????????? Not when I am hunting.

03-May-17
Awesome Paul! Congrats and excellent story telling as usual! Thanks for sharing it with us!

03-May-17
Way to go, Paul! But then, when you go after birds, it's only a matter of "when"...

03-May-17
Outstanding!

03-May-17
Good stuff, Paul! Congratulations!

03-May-17
Congrats Paul (once again)!

Can you get more than one tag in NE (and keep hunting)?

Mark

03-May-17
Very nice Paul!

See you Saturday

03-May-17
Beautiful bird, congrats.

03-May-17
Congrats Paul! Sounds like Pat is still bumming! :)

03-May-17
Mark, yes, for another $109. Three turkeys are allowed. I am going to save for my Neb deer hunt unless I can start a donated to Paul's turkey fund! :) LOL.

03-May-17
"Hard to miss at 15 yards and I wished I had had my recurve bow" Oh, go screw yourself Paul....(says the guy who just missed at 8 yards)

Paul, I am trying to decide what I enjoy more....your success, or pat's misery!!! LOL!!

03-May-17
Congrats Paul! Great bird!

03-May-17
Pat, I believe it is a lot easier to miss at 8 yards than at 15-20. At eight yards the tom is right in your face and it may be harder to pick a spot. I have always been a body shooter and than seems to do the trick for me as one might have time to assess the situation, the range and the spot. At closer ranges, that "time" might not happen as the turkey is eye to eye. Go to your shooting range and shoot at 5, 10, 15, 20 yards using your 20 yards pin, and see the shot impacts. If you are using the 20 yards pin, it is interesting where the 5 and the 10 yards arrows hit.

03-May-17

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
Paul congrats brotha! We went back for a second bird as well. I almost went for a swim but Matthew got to him before he went over the edge. I'll be out tomorrow in CO.

03-May-17
Ha Paul another great bird, man your on fire. Just a reminder you can now buy another turkey tag right from your phone, you know just saying.

03-May-17
Yes sir !! You are my hero! Thanks for posting! Hunt

03-May-17
Rick, Nice and good luck. I am glad you got the tom before he got to the water as there is nothing uglier than a water soaked turkey.

03-May-17
When I saw who's thread this was, i knew somebody better order a coffin, 'cause something was gonna die ! Congrats Paul !

03-May-17
Congrats Paul, and thanks for the excellent pictorial, youdaman!

03-May-17
Good job Paul! I agree with your age estimate. Nice bird, Congrats!

03-May-17
Just brings you right back in! Congrats Paul!

03-May-17
Congrats on yet another great hunt Paul!

03-May-17
Nice job buddy! Love the smile in the trophy photo!

03-May-17
Badass. Good work my friend.

03-May-17
Well done Paul!!! Love these threads:)

03-May-17
Good job man.

03-May-17
Paul, you must ne home now. I just saw three turkeys running toward my house, away from yours. They know they're safe around me as long as they stand still. D'oh!

03-May-17
Good job, Paul!

03-May-17
Nice Paul, you always have my favorite posts. Your pictures are some of the best. Great motivation to keep after it......Pat, Ive blown two gimmee shots this year, moving on. Yeah,,,I don't want to talk about it....... I have shots I blowed from years ago, I relive in my mind...lol... My tags are good till may 31 and May 20. Staying positive!

04-May-17

Hey Lou. I noticed the same thing but I saw those turkeys heading for your property and I believe that they said something about a "sanctuary city", gun free zone, or something like that. What do you know? PS, you know I talk to the animals around here. :)

04-May-17
Congrats Paul.

04-May-17
Very nice Paul!

04-May-17

bowcrazyJRHCO's embedded Photo
3rd turkey in three trips on my Tour deNebraska. This bird really a trophy to me. Shot on public land I've never hunted, no blind, steep pine covered canyons.
bowcrazyJRHCO's embedded Photo
3rd turkey in three trips on my Tour deNebraska. This bird really a trophy to me. Shot on public land I've never hunted, no blind, steep pine covered canyons.
Paul, thanks for joining me on the third and final leg of my Tour deNebraska. I've never turkey hunted with someone who leaves the camper at 4:00 am and doesn't return until 8:30 PM or later (no nap? lunch break?). We hunted new territory, public land, with terrible rainy weather -- you showed me what it takes to be successful.

04-May-17
Way to go Paul. Your an inspiration to all of us. Can't wait until I am in a position time wise to follow in your footsteps.

04-May-17
Paul your my idol . I know that sounds strange coming from a 63 year old guy , but you the man . Don't worry I'm not a stalker . Haha

04-May-17
Ok, I will not be looking over my back any more. Thanks for the kind words. Paul

04-May-17
A poor ole' bird doesn't stand a chance around you.

04-May-17
U da Man!

05-May-17
Well done as always Paul! Congrats on another great hunt and thanks once again for sharing it with us.

06-May-17
Atta boy Paul!

07-May-17
Congrats Paul!

07-May-17
Sweet!

07-May-17
You are a turkey killing machine! Great job.

08-May-17
Thanks Todd, having fun as usual. Looking forward to elk season. Paul

11-May-17
Awesome . Forrest

11-May-17
Great report and congrats on your success Paul!

11-May-17
Greg, thank you. now I am thinking about traveling to western Colorado next week and try for a high country tom

12-May-17
Good stuff buddy...

• Sitka Gear