Rock 26-Mar-18
Rut Nut 27-Mar-18
Dooner 27-Mar-18
Rut Nut 27-Mar-18
t-roy 27-Mar-18
Rock 27-Mar-18
WV Mountaineer 27-Mar-18
04-May-17
Wow! I cant wait to see the rest of the story. Clearly has a broken wing so hopefully you got back on him quickly

04-May-17
That is hilarious! Sorry for your loss :)

04-May-17
Lolol!

04-May-17
What is the saying? "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". So is that tom still in the bush or in your hand? I am sure there will be MORE to this story. Paul

04-May-17
Holy crap! That was awesome! Did you recover him? By the way... this is going all over social media. :)

04-May-17
Looks like turkey are going to be your next elk...

04-May-17
Pat you just made yourself famous.

04-May-17
LMAO! Pat, I have no words! Congratu...oops!

04-May-17
wow n/f/c!

04-May-17
Rule # 1 Be sure an animal is dead before you pose with it for pictures!!!

Hope you got him Pat. I've been there done that. Love the video!!!

04-May-17
UH OH....Film at 11.............

04-May-17
I'm sorry. But I cannot stop giggling!! I hope you chased him down

04-May-17
Oh man.....can't wait to hear the rest of the tale! I have always said they are right up there with mountain goats...don't give up the ghost very easily;)

04-May-17
You know Pat - I have the same name and have done some goofy things. Maybe it's the name.

I really hope you got him because that would be SO frustrating.

04-May-17
Pat..... dude..... lol Rick thanks for the FB heads up. Gotta see if this ends on a different note. :)

04-May-17
LMAO!! Hope ya ran him down!! Scooby

04-May-17
Thanks for the laugh Pat !!!

04-May-17
I'd like to see the video of Pat chasing the bird down...lol

04-May-17
Like I said.......better stick to food plots ;>)

At least you weren't holding him by his legs. They'll tear the crap out of your hands when they go to spinning. I've had to tackle more than one of em that I thought was dead. Hopefully, we get to see the hero shot after you chased him down!

04-May-17
My bet, that bird was recovered. Breaking the wing like that and they bleed to death. But....if you hit them there and don't get the wing butt, they gone.

Cool video and congrats!

04-May-17
Pat, I just showed this video to my wife. She then walk out to the kitchen and is still laughing but even louder now.

04-May-17
LOL... can't stop laughing!

04-May-17
haha... second time I watched it even funnier!

04-May-17
I just keep imagining that this is exactly what is going to happen to Kia on her first turkey! Ha! I really hope you got him Pat!

04-May-17
Omg. This is going to be the chat of the bowsite,, for a long time. God! I hope you ran him down or you will never live this down.. lol

04-May-17
Im in the minority i guess. Not a good look for us, IMHO.

04-May-17
TBM has never had that happen.........

04-May-17
The only thing I am wondering is why you could not tell he was still pretty lively?? I knew he was very much alive when he clicked his beak and was practically standing when you were showing him off. Scooby

04-May-17
Agreed

04-May-17
Catch and release. That is some next level stuff for sure Pat!

04-May-17
How far was the shot? 8 yards? You're supposed to take an arrow and poke it to see if it's still alive.

04-May-17
I have had a rough day. Petty aggravations from all directions. You just overwrote all of them. I'd say that I'm laughing WITH you, but I'm laughing too hard to talk. Thank you for posting that.

04-May-17
#embracethesuck

04-May-17
Simply classic.......

04-May-17
What a world! Video makes it so real!!!

04-May-17
Lmao. That is rich! It takes a man to be able to share that. Glad you're able to lighten up about it

04-May-17
Email this one to a few buddies...sure.

Post on the Youtube for the world to see? Ehh not sure about that.

Sorry to question our fearless leader, don't grill me too hard, but there are some things that go on out in the field I think we should keep in our inner circle. Really hope you got him, if not, sorry for your bad luck and maybe peacefully finish him off before doing the hero interview next time?

Also, I've honestly never bowhunted turkeys but that looks about exactly where I thought you should hit, besides just catching the solid part of the wingbone? Where in relation to that would perfect shot placement be?

04-May-17
Turkey blood trail challenge!

04-May-17
So... did u find him?

04-May-17
I ain't gonna second guess our fearless leader. I'm laughing too damn hard. I only showed the video to two people........so far !

I shot one years ago while deer hunting and she just waddled off and sunk down in the grass. I waited for probably an hour, got out of my blind, nocked another arrow, and proceeded to slip up on her to put another in her back. I knew she wasn't dead because I saw her blink once. Just as I got about 10/12 yards from her, came to full draw, a damn cottontail jumped up right at my feet, ran right over the turkey, she jumped up and FLEW OFF ! She was outa sight in a few seconds and I was left holding my bow. That wasn't funny then either, but it is now !

04-May-17
LOL Epic indeed!

04-May-17
Don't count your turkeys until they hatch my lovely wife sent me a pic of her bird and then he got up and got away stay thirsty my friends after that you need an adult beverage Lewis

04-May-17
The very first grouse I shot over my bird dog was a similar tale. I shot the bird over a perfect point when she was a young pup. I couldn't have been happier. Like Pat I was in the moment and thought the movement in my game vest was reflexes. I got home and yelled to my wife to come out and take a pic of the proud hunter and his bird dog. As I took the "dead" bird out of my vest and put it down for the pic it sprung to life and flew away. My dog's first grouse point was catch and release.

04-May-17
Funny stuff. I thought he was going to flog you. I knew when seeing him still tense when you were showing it off he was going to go in a flopping state soon. But, I never figured he was going to get up and "runned" off like that. How far did you have to chase him?

Funny stuff indeed. When showing my wife after her asking me what I was giggling about, she got a good laugh too. She even said while laughing, "I knew it didn't look very dead.". You are acting more like Justin Howell everyday bud. God Bless man

04-May-17
man that's funny

Scott

04-May-17
Oh.My.God.! That's just insane! Sadly something similar happened to my son this year. He shot a gobbler at 12 feet with a shotgun. It went down like a ton of bricks and was flapping around. I was sure it was toast so I didn't rush to grab it. Then it regained its feet and ran off never to be seen or heard from again. But we didn't get video!

04-May-17
Good stuff Pat and you even got the decoy! Thanks for making me laugh at work!

04-May-17
I am guessing that tom is gone as thick as it is around there. I once shot a rooster pheasant in the wing butt with a blunt. Had huge spurs and long tail so I put him on the floor in the back seat of the pickup thinking I may mount him. Ten miles later opened the door and he jumped out and flew like nothing was wrong with him.

04-May-17
Funny! Were you using a mechanical? :)

04-May-17
Best laugh in awhile Pat! Laugh even harder each time I watch it.

04-May-17
That's a hilarious ending to an extremely funny story. Can't stop laughing.

04-May-17
That's so funny!!! Thanks for sharing Pat! Hilarious...

05-May-17
Haha. That's why I prefer cornfields. Can throw unpicked ears at em to further pulverize. Hope Trump Jr doesn't see this. He may unfriend you

05-May-17

Well-Strung's embedded Photo

05-May-17

05-May-17
Whoops! Hope you got him! Was kinda funny tho....

05-May-17
Oh man that's funny! Dang hope you got him

05-May-17
It happens. A friend hunted a big bull elk for several seasons. Finally got a "perfect double-lung" hit on him. So, he spent 15-20 minutes, just a few yards from the bull waiting for it to die. Didn't shoot again because he didn't want to take a chance on ruining a $15 arrow. Bull eventually got up, ran off, never to be found. I'm pretty sure Pat put a perfect flying turkey tackle on his bird. But with his luck, that broken wingbone punched him in the face and required 12 stitches.

05-May-17
Lmao.

05-May-17
I am not sure about the title of the thread. It remains debatable whether you are "no longer..." Congrats my friend. Now kill the next one without the blind!

05-May-17
That sucks. Shoot him in the head next time and he won't run off.

05-May-17
lol

05-May-17
Well????? Did you recover him?

05-May-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Too far forward maybe or maybe an optical illusion based on video angle? A perfect shot based on this angle would be about 4-6" left of where the arrow is.

05-May-17
Lol. As I was watching the video I thought to myself... hmmm... looks like he shot a bit forward. It wasn't much, but obviously it doesn't take much. Actually though, at first take I was just watching the gobbler attack and didn't even notice the arrow come in, so I had to watch it over. Also funny to watch the hen scurry away when you jumped out of the blind.

If their heads are up like that bird's was I always try to wring their neck or bash their head. This is certainly entertaining. What did the arrow look like? Just wondering if you hit anything good or just breast. I scrolled back up and watched several more times, and man you couldn't have been off by much.

05-May-17
I honestly don't think turkey should be hunted with a bow. Too many birds get shot lost, crippled, maimed, etc by bow hunters.

The sport of turkey hunting is to sit to a gobbling Tom and call him to you. Decoys, blinds, and calls are all used and make sense. However once a bird is called into range gobbling, spitting, and strutting the shot is anticlimactic. At that point a 12 gauge shotgun with #5 shot is a humane way to harvest your bird.

I do understand the allure just don't necessarily agree with it.

05-May-17
reminds me of a hunt i had in KS one time.

Called up 5 toms and killed 2 to go ahead a get my KS limit.

i forgot the sling to my shotgun, so i stuffed one of the birds in my vest toted the other one in one hand, and my shot gun in the other hand.

Once i got home, i got the birds out and prepped them for a manly trophy picture. i go inside and ask my wife to come and take some trophy pics in the back yard, we had just gotten married a few months before and were living in SW Missouri and lived in a nice little neighborhood where we just moved into. We were the new young couple from Mississippi.

upon entering the back yard i found the bird that i had previously stuffed in my vest walking around our back yard - he looked very confused - but very healty! luckily my dogs were in the house and there was a sand wedge leaning on the deck and i swiftly moved in and gave him one more lick to the head dispatch him. The Tom was doing some serious flopping when my wife came outside. At that point im pretty sure she was wondering why in the hell she married such a redneck...

Hope you got your Tom Pat!

05-May-17
Yup, if the head is held up in any way, even just a couple inches from the ground, you better get on him and get to twisting in my experience

05-May-17
Oh btw, " The key I think is to be sure you don't scare the crap outta them after the shot, and just make sure you look thoroughly." Oops.

Sorry Pat. :^) You'll get one if it isn't this one.

05-May-17
I agree with brotsky.. since others are getting into the learning curve of this video I will add too it....first off as others have said shot placement was too far forward, should have been 4" further back... the turkey sprint after your bird rt after the shot is the wrong thing to do imo. You were very lucky to get your hands on him as you should have been ready to shoot again. You carry more then one arrow for a reason.... Next is since you were lucky to get your hands on him when a bird is breathing, eyes wide open, legs trying to feel for a surface to catapult off of and body spring loaded tense means he is as alive as can be. You should have either suffocated him with foot on neck, sliced his throat, or shot him again without losing control of him by letting him go. That bird never gave one sign that I thought he was close to the light.... I hope you recovered him but if you didn't I hope you take it as learning experience. Good luck on your future turkey hunts and there is a lot of valuable info on turkey threads created by several turkey gurus on this site for a reason.

05-May-17
^^^Listen to this guy:)

Wilbur, I couldn't disagree more with your statement. Just as many birds get a breast full of shotgun pellets every season. I've found them in the woods plenty of times.

The problem with bowhunting turkeys is that people don't understand the anatomy of a turkey properly. 3D targets, etc are terrible references too. The vitals are in the wrong spots on many of them. There's some outstanding shot placement threads on this site to study and learn where to shoot them. Learn from them and practice out of a blind at short range if that is how you plan to hunt. There is something different about shooting from a seated position at close range. It takes a little practice.

Lastly is a lot of people lose their cool when a big tom comes into their decoys (you should see my daughter shake!). You usually have a lot of time. Get your nerves under control, take some deep breaths, and really mentally focus on the spot you want to hit and executing a good shot. Lots of good info out there!

05-May-17
Agree with trkyslr here. Chasing after a bird is what we did many years ago until we realized we were education other birds that were still there and also our recovery rate was worse. Once I have my hands on a bird that isn't stone cold dead I ring his neck once and it is over.

05-May-17
Wilbur I most certainly disagree with you here. Decoys can be set very close for a point blank shot and with some education on shot placement it can be as effective as anything. I have been involved in hundreds of bowkills for turkeys and I can only think of about 6-7 that were not recovered. What you do after the shot is just as important as what you do before and during the release of an arrow.

05-May-17
wow! Just wow! LMAO!

05-May-17
Way back in my teenage years, I took a close range shot at a cottontail with my 20ga and rolled it. Picked up the rabbit and stuffed it in my game bag and continued on. Very soon after, my game bag began bouncing around and I had to dispatch the rabbit by hand. Never found one piece of shot in that rabbit...can only assume the concussion at close range knocked it out?

05-May-17
Making Bowsite great again!

Damn near pissed myself Pat! Wow, LMAO!!

05-May-17
Haha... what a classic. Thanks for sharing the video Pat... good stuff.

Foot firmly on head pinning the bird to the ground, after a couple minutes if he is still alive, put your knife into his eye and scramble his brain.

05-May-17

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Wilbur- I would not say that on a place full of bowhunters!!

I haven't lost a turkey yet bowhunting. It's all about shot placement!

I've heard people say the same for big game. Archery hunters wound more animals that rifle. I disagree. Plenty of animals if not more are wounded and not recovered by gun hunters.

05-May-17
Magnus should use this video to promote their Bullheads.

05-May-17
^^^^^ Yep ... clean kill or clean miss. The scenario in Pat's video simply doesn't happen with a head shot.

05-May-17
Pat, have you considered the Bullheads? You definitely had some good head shot opportunities in that video.

I'm still LMAO! Damn that's a funny video!

05-May-17
Was the turkey recovered?

05-May-17
Too bad Pat didn't have a second camera to catch the rodeo that surely followed. he he

05-May-17
Bwahahaha!!! The visions I have of Pat frantically chasing that turkey around on foot have entertained me this morning!

05-May-17
Can we see the Ostrich video again?? That was a classic!

05-May-17
That went from "That was awesome" to "Oh man that sucks" in a hurry.

05-May-17

mikesohm/magnus's embedded Photo
mikesohm/magnus's embedded Photo
They don't do that when you take their head off lol

05-May-17
Definitely a good reason to shoot bullheads. No tracking and not meat damage.

05-May-17
I keep checking back just to see if he did in fact lose the bird, which I am guessing is the case. Either way, funny video. Some guys need to lighten up a bit.

05-May-17
I killed my first bird with Bullhead last year. I'm hooked! He didn't take a step and I can't wait to do it again. Been trying all season thus far but no shots yet.

05-May-17
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahaha

hahahaha

I know I don't feel so bad about some of MY misses now! Thanks Pat!

05-May-17
I bet none of us ever thought we needed a "how to tell if its dead" thread.

05-May-17
APauls, I enjoy your posts and I would say that most of the time i agree with you. But I don't agree with you here. I'm not sure who you feel should lighten up, maybe you were talking about the guys pushing the bullheads. Is that what you're referring to here, or is it the opinion that this video is not a good look for bow hunters?

05-May-17
I'm glad Pat didn't wimp out and withhold that video. That's one of the reasons we come to Bowsite. We're hunters here, and we share. The granola munchers can kiss my derrière. Hilarious scene Pat and probably a little bit of valuable learnin' there for all of us. If it can happen to an experienced hunter like yourself, it could happen to any of us. Whether the Tom was recovered or not, the ultimate truth is that all turkeys die and none are wasted. The coyotes will put this one to good use if you can't.

05-May-17
stick n string I wasn't calling anyone out. Thanks for the kind words. I just thought I like the fact that Pat can have a situation like this happen and is able to laugh at himself as well as provide us the hunting community with some humor.

This is a hunting website. Hunters come here to talk about hunting. Bowhunters are real people and although Pat's situation is not commonplace it is real. As others eluded to, such a thing has happened with shotguns as well. So what are we concerned about? The image we provide as bowhunters to other hunters? Not really going to get into that one as each camp has their errors and we should all stick together. Are we worried about our image to anti-hunters? Non-hunters? I wouldn't worry about Pat's image at all, and if we are worried about the "ammo" out there for the non-hunters I can assure everyone that this turkey video is not going to be their video of choice. There are so many bad videos out there.

I guess what I meant by the lighten up comment is that sometimes we just need to enjoy the moment without worrying ourselves sick about aaaaaaaaaaall the potential ramifications. Yes this is the digital era, but this turkey video isn't going to change people's minds about hunting, or bowhunting for that matter. It is however, quite comical especially to us, the bowsite community who are aware of Pat and his turkey pursuits. So why not share in the endorphins by just laughing about it?

05-May-17
I get what you're saying, and I respect it. I guess there's just part of me that feels that as a hunter, my first priority is to the animal and dispatching it quickly as possible. Shit happens, anybody that's done what we do any amount of time learns that. But I've seen other situations like this one in other threads with different people and they got blasted for it. A little part of me has always felt like certain people on bowsite get a pass, and I just don't feel that way. If you're going to blast a guy you don't know you should blast the guy that owns the website. In the end my opinion doesn't mean jack squat to anybody and it doesn't have to. But I tend to lean towards being upfront and saying what I feel regardless of the situation or who is the subject of it. And I don't feel good about this one. It appears as if I'm severely in the minority, so I'm really trying to stand back and figure out if my thoughts are too harsh. Maybe they are, I don't know. I love bowsite for all the different people we have and the abilities that They have any experiences that they share here. And Pat has had some experiences that none of us will ever come close to, so it's really cool to read about and I have huge respect for his accomplishments. But some of the same people that are LOL -ing here, were pretty harsh in other threads about some other videos that were put on the Internet that could be used as ammo for the antis because of what went on and how in those videos. When I watch something, and I don't feel good about the content of it as a hunter, it's pretty obvious to me how somebody on the fence about hunting will receive it. And again maybe I'm wrong, but that's just how I feel

05-May-17
I get why some of you think this video shouldn't be shared but if you think life as a future Butterball is better, think again

05-May-17
Just think of the outrage that would pour out if it had been a deer.

05-May-17
It happens and people can learn from this. I agree with Brotsky. The best turkey hunters I know(with a bow) usually break them down, a shot at the top of the thigh where it enters the pelvis does a number on them. I have hit quite a few of them there and they do not go far if anywhere. Also the run and stomp for me is the thing to do. Get to the bird quick and break their neck or just stomp once good and hard on the head. We all live and learn and we all like a good laugh!! Scooby

05-May-17
Last year I shot a Jake that took off running with a broken wing. I found him after his one wing got caught in some brush. I grabbed him by the neck and he exploded. Fortunately it was a jake with no spurs. He kicked me in the nuts somach and arms before I could finally grab is feet. Would have made a good video like Pat's.

05-May-17
I guess I don't understand why this is bad. I've seen numerous videos of guys chasing down turkeys after they have shot them with a shotgun. I guess I shouldn't admit this but I have ran down a few turkeys before. Most of them were shot with a gun. The ones I have shot with a bow normally only go a few steps if any.

05-May-17
I don't use bullheads. I don't want to use a longer than normal arrow and crazy big fletching to control it. I use the same setup I use for big game

05-May-17
Bullheads are great, but the clean miss or clean kill is misleading. You can hit them, and not recover them...but they won't be anywhere near mortally wounded.. I hit one low several years ago, and called in his hens, with him in tow, a few hours later and did it right.

05-May-17
Great thread. Real bowhunting as Bowsite has always represented.

06-May-17
+1 on Stekewood!

Most TV shows are a mirage capturing the results that favor the hunter and sponsors products but reality has to reside some where and it is here!

06-May-17
OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, it is time for Pat to step up and tell the rest of the story! Enough of this drama.

06-May-17
Pat, you've just about convinced me that you do have a turkey jinx this year, LOL!

Great video, thanks.

06-May-17
I thought we were in for an epic blood trail challenge!!! If it makes you feel better I wii relate two ofmy turkey kills that ended funny. Both were with a shotgun years ago. The first I shot one running from too far away but he dropped. He lay still as death while I put my bright yellow tag on his leg. At that moment the urge to pee hit me so I leaned my gun on a nearby tree, unzipped and watched as my dead turkey got up shook his head and took off on a dead run tag waving me goodbye. I was able to recover him though with a quick but weird second shot!! The second one I also wastoo far away but he let me tag him ,walk back to the truck put him in the bed of the truck and drive 12 miles to the check station. The little mom and pop bait and tackle shop where the owner measured the spurs, beard length, and weight. Just when I wrapped the twine around his leg and hung him on the hanging scale he decided to start flopping. Blood was flying everywhere, owner was mad as an old wet hen and a friend of mine happened to be there checking one in himself! He loved telling everyone about me bringing in the half alive turkey and trying to check it in to all our friends.

06-May-17
Turkey wrestling is pretty challenging and nearly a fair fight.

Wrestled two so far after shooting with an arrow. Nearly lost one fight, got hooked a couple times. (ones in the Alabama record books. Primitive w/stone point too)

Was told after the fact, next time step on the neck and grab both feet and pull hard. First time I tried that maneuver, I only stepped on the neck. The turkeys reaction was to spur me. It worked, he got me real good in the calf. Cut through my pants, socks, and drew blood. (still have the scare).

Loved the video. Prey won. Predator learned a valuable lesson.

06-May-17
Lmao!!!!

06-May-17
I found your video quite hilarious, Pat. Especially since you built us up with the "wait for it" along the way. My wife laughed hysterically. Best of luck the rest of the season!

06-May-17
Nobody who spends 8 hours looking for a wounded bird is a loser. There are a lot of people who would not spend that on a wounded moose. Good on you.

06-May-17
It's even more funny now. Sorry. But, I can't stop laughing now I know the whole story. I hate it for you but, I just can't help it. The Jessie Owen's analogy is hilarious. I can almost see it as I was there.

I've had my hand to hand battles with them. I even caught a mature tom one time with my hands. That was a doozy and a true story. But, your story reminds me of an ordeal my brother got into with a gobbler. I'll spare everyone but, it was funny as heck too.

It's hunting. It happens. Just a lot funnier when it happens to someone else. God Bless men

06-May-17
I'm switching back to Bullhead after my 6 arrow bird.

06-May-17
I don't get it.... it's a turkey. A flippin bird...... besides, everybody knows birds are only to be ethically hunted with dogs.... heheheheh.....

But I feel your pain..... there's always the helicopter option........

Thanks for the fun.... that was awesome on a stick.... =D

06-May-17
The look on that gobblers face (as he was making his exit) was priceless!!

Keep posting real world reality Pat...the world needs more if it!!

Mark

06-May-17
LMAO Mark! I saw that too! I think that is the same face I made the first time I had my "over 40 exam"!

06-May-17
I feel for you pat. As much as I love to bowhunter big game when it comes to killing turkeys I like to hit them with my ten gauge....... Thanks for the honest video of how it can go.

07-May-17
I think the video speaks for itself but I do have one stupid question. Since you shot this bird and believe it to be dead did you punch a tag on it ? As far as the archery vs shotgun and wounding comments I have seen a number of birds wounded with both and not recovered ! As far as showing this video and not carrying what others think. I showed the video to my wife and both daughters who are non-hunters but not against it. They did not think it was funny at all !

07-May-17
Timbr, in my opinion, i believe anybody AGAINST hunting that views it will certainly not find any humor in it, but they are gone and lost anyways. There is no swaying them. To me, its anybody that may be on the fence and indifferent about hunting and have yet to make a decision one way or another on it that would pushed the wrong way by the video.

Lets do a quick recap..... bowhunter shoots turkey with an arrow, goes off frame and chases turkey down, comes back carrying by the neck a fully alive turkey, holds the fully alive turkey by the neck for a bit, talks about it being his first bow killed turkey on that property and as soon as he lets it go, the turkey sprints off with a broken wing. A man chasing a turkey----funny. Thats 3 slow motion seconds of everything in that video. Everything else says, bowhunter wounds a turkey, carries it around by its neck and then it runs off, never to be found. Anything that happens off frame is completely unknown to the viewer, they only know what they see. And then the bow hunting community laughs it off cuz "stuff happens".

You are not phased, Pat, obviously. Got it. Somebody puts a spine shot doe video on here where it bellows and flops around until the deer gets up and runs off because the spine wasnt cut, it was just shocked and the hunter couldnt get a lethal arrow into it quick enough. We gonna laugh about it and just say, "stuff happens, lets talk about shot placement"?

The off-putting for me isnt in what happened, its in the posting of the video and the reaction to it. As said above, and in past threads about certain videos that contain behavior that could be seen as offensive, some things are better kept between hunters and not on the internet. Im certainly not saying "hide it", but we have to always be mindful of the image we put out there for anybody and everybody(the general sentiment of the posters in those threads). A still photo of the arrow impact as Brotsky put up would serve as good or better than the video as far as a "i hit here, it got away, lets talk placement" thread. Sure, the hunters that see it will never assume a bird is dead. But an explaination of events could result in that too, dont need a video of a turkey standing on two legs as you hold it by the neck looking at its beard because u think its dead.

Again, i clearly am in the minority, seem to even be the only one. And that doesnt phase me ;^) I dont dislike bowsite or any individual because of this matter. I just think if it was average Joe from Podunk, Pennsylvania, the postings would be a bit different and we wouldnt be automatic to just LOL about it

07-May-17
If showing this helps others to make sure it does not happen to them, it serves a valuable purpose.

Hate to see game suffer, and appreciate Pat making a good effort to recover it. Shows his true respect for wildlife.

Amazes me the concern for videos like this one when the press is dominated by scores of videos of people acting violently against others and or property. Maybe that should be the focus?

07-May-17
keep it real and exactly as it happened Pat - is what makes Bowsite and I've always enjoyed that most about your hunts - the good, the bad and the ugly

its real

07-May-17
Stick and String you obviously have a hard on for the guy. Give it a rest. It's a turkey, he didn't wound an elk. And it is funny as hell. Do you and Timberhuntr complain about Christmas too. There's nothing worse than self-righteous snobs on the internet.

07-May-17
Its just a turkey he didn't wound an elk and I'm a self-righteous snob. Yup point proven I guess !

07-May-17
I also did not complain about it. I said I showed it to 3 non-hunters that are not against hunting and they did not think it was funny which suprised me as I thought they would but i was wrong. I also just asked a question about if the tag was used on this animal as I am curious because i would have. I also have more interest in turkey hunting than elk hunting so I see no difference in this being an elk or a turkey ! Bah Humbug !

07-May-17
Pat I have even more respect for you now because to did put that up . Good luck with the next one

07-May-17
Look on the birds face be like"see ya"!!! Shooting a Turkey with bow and arrow... skill and patience, watching him give you the finger on his way out...astonishing, posting it on your own website...priceless! Pat, you have my respect, for what it's worth. scentman

07-May-17
Pat, thanks for sharing something some here would not. It made my morning, especially after I 12 guaged a room, watched it fly 75 ft, crash, get up and wobble then went down. His buddy came back to help and stayed until I went to retrieve my bird. He was on his back looking mostly dead but of course when I stepped on his neck he spurred up my rubber boots. Oh yeah, the gun was back at my ambush. I let up after doing some grinding and he stands up looking like he is about to make a break for it. I grabbed his neck and did some stomping. I threw him over the fence so I could get my gear and when I came back he is standing. It can be ugly some times. Ironic for me to see your video 30 min after my cluster and I am still smiling.

08-May-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo

08-May-17
Pat thanks for the rest of the story. I agree we shouldn't hide the story if everything was done legally. I wish someone had a pic of your face cause I can only imagine the look! Haha....

For this reason I hate hunting turkeys with a bow. I have killed several with a bow and only do it now in the fall when opportunity presents itself. I hunt them with shotgun in the spring - only because I find it more enjoyable. I don't have any issues with guys who love it.

I get some guys worried about how it will look. You NEVER have to worry about anything on the Bowsite as there are enough morons on YouTube to take care of that.

08-May-17
Great video. Yes, a turkey was lost, but that is hunting. Hunting is not 100%.

For those that it offends a little bit, there was also something to be learned. Again, great video.

Even better is Pat posting it. That takes some humility coming from a guy that has faced charging bears and plays with black mambas. Thanks Pat.

08-May-17
I could have sworn I saw the bird "wink" at the camera just before Pat released it! ;-)

08-May-17
i found it rather hilarious...Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it....bwhahahaha

08-May-17
I cannot tell you how much this made my day! Thanks for sharing this Pat! This video will be viral....and fast.

09-May-17
After thinking this over long and hard for several days I will give my take.

Like a lot of you, my initial gut reaction was: "This is the funniest thing I have ever seen!"

I really appreciate Pat's willingness to be honest and post the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY! Not pulling any punches. What you see is what you get. I also appreciate his humility and his ability to laugh at himself!

That being said, after I looked at the video several more times, reality started to set in and I thought about that bird's chances of surviving with a broken wing. Several questions came to mind:

1) Will that bird be able to fly up to roost out of danger with a broken wing? 2) Will that bird be able to allude danger on the ground with that wing? 3)Would this video be as funny if the wounded animal was a Bull Elk, Moose or big Buck? 4)Would this video be as funny if it was posted by(and happened to) someone other than Pat? 5)How will non-hunters react to this video?

Of course this is Pat's site and he obviously has every right to post anything he feels is appropriate.

Not making any judgements here- and honestly not even sure how I would handle it myself, given the same situation. Just sharing my thoughts.

09-May-17
Rut Nut, no one can think it's ok to wound and lose any animal, otherwise we wouldn't be sportsman. However, the situation is what people are laughing at. You can completely imagine yourself in Pats place. That's what's funny- not a wounded game animal!

09-May-17
Yes- I know what we are all laughing at, and agree that it is funny.

At the same time, there are serious implications to what transpired.

I was just saying that I was torn between laughing my butt off and then the serious nature of the consequences.

I have also seen things on youtube and the show JACK@$$ that are very, very funny.................................until you think about the outcome where somebody was obviously seriously injured.

Just saying I can see the humor, and appreciate Pat for posting it and that people can learn from it, but still torn.............................................

09-May-17
Rut Nut... You do make some valid points. Especially the part if someone other than Pat posted it, would it get the same reaction. I still see the humor in the video although. I also don't think anyone sees the bird being wounded as humorous or making light of that aspect. I don't think anyone would pick up a big game animal by the neck (presuming it's dead) and display it in front of the camera and it running off. By the way, I don't think the turkey will make it. That's the only thing that sucks and isn't humorous, at all.

To me... the humor lies in Pats attempt at killing a turkey in totality this season, missing at 8 yards and then this event where the bird is in your hands, and then fly's/runs away. Pretty funny!

09-May-17
wow is all I have to say

09-May-17
HamStrung, if you were indeed serious and not joking, your remarks are clownish. There is lots of opposition to my view in this thread and most of it i can respect, though i dont agree with or fully understand. However, based on your post, You specifically have zero credibility in my mind, and i do not consider you a worthy representation of a hunter. Its just a turkey and someone else is the self righteous snob? Goodness.....

09-May-17
I'm also a member of the minority here and don't find the video funny at all. I understand that stuff like this happens, but broadcasting it to the world and calling it "epic" doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe I'm just crabby because I've been seeing way too many turkeys wounded this year in the area I hunt - both with shotguns and bows.

11-May-17
Pat..... dude..... lol Rick thanks for the FB heads up. Gotta see if this ends on a different note. :)

11-May-17
WTH??? ^^^ I didn't post that... again

11-May-17
Having the balls to show this Pat really is refreshing, life is good...Thx Pat

Honesty is a good policy.

11-May-17
I bet the next one gets his head pulled clean off! :)

11-May-17
It's absolutely amazing how some just pass judgment onto everyone. I'm certain Pat was and probably still remains down about the whole situation as it replays over and over in his head. -The last thing he'd ever want is a wounded turkey to go to the 'yotes. Without a doubt a few things could have been done just a bit different, however it is easy to sit in the easy chair and critique and type, "You should have done this...you should have done that..." I've made my fair share of mistakes and certainly had some "epic" foul-ups and would guess everyone has to varying extent. (If not, you haven't been living long!) Pat, thanks for sharing the (great quality) video and hunt on, brotha!

11-May-17
Sad what hunting is becoming for a lot of people. Didn't have time to be sure it was dead, had to hurry back in front of the video camera to be a 'hero'.

11-May-17
There's good natured banter and ribbing of a guy and then there's being an a-hole. SMH.

12-May-17
Funny stuff right there. Hope you get revenge on another set up.

12-May-17
Pat doesn't need to kill a turkey to be a hero. . . poking a cooped-up black mamba with a 3 foot stick, after that mamba slithered over his shoes, makes him one though :) :)

12-May-17
It sure looks like a broadhead sticking up out of that spendy DSD after the shot. If it was after punching a hole into your DSD that would be some real salt on the wound. I've seen just as many wounded birds from scatterguns as bows. It happens and it's REAL!

12-May-17
Steve B. 10xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Good reply.

Loosing an animal? Been there done that. Sure not fun but all animals get recycled in Nature, us included so I do not dwell on the subject. Funny/interesting/informational video of Pat's reaction for sure, and there are things to learn from his encounter. my best, Paul

13-May-17
I have a shotgun that I'm done with for the year Pat. If I overnight ship it will be there tomorrow;) I seriously enjoy and appreciate the fact that you are confident enough to laugh at yourself and allow us to do the same. That was hilarious!!!!!!!

13-May-17

Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
You should clean the neck off and do a skeleton mount of the snapped neck and head to remind you off these hunts ! LOL. Something like this but with the neck twisted !

13-May-17
Would you have posted the video if it was a deer instead of a turkey? Just curious.

I'd never be critical of your shot at the bird. I've missed and made poor shots. It happens. I would not have posted the video.

14-May-17
Thanks for posting this video Pat. Somewhere a coyote or a bobcat says thank you. Stuff happens and to get it on video is priceless.

14-May-17
un

believable.....

Congrats Pat.... the curse is lifted.....

now, go and make sure you hold the proper services over it.......

14-May-17
The post was good learning moment nothing wrong at all.

15-May-17
I feel for you Pat - I've missed a couple over the years... with a shot gun! So, seeing that one run off... Ugh. That said, always worth a neck break when you first get the bird - whether you are sure or not. Better safe than sorry ;)

22-May-17
LOL! Pat! I bet you do the same to your Butterball this Thanksgiving. Take the neck out of the cavity and give it a good SNAP! ;-)

23-May-17
years ago I had a friend shoot a bird (shotgun). He tagged the bird, as is the law. On his way back to the tree to gather his stuff another bird gobbled. He stashed bird one behind the tree and started calling to bird 2. After calling for a while to bird 2 he can do nothing with him. He glances to his left and sees a bird strutting to his left. He eventually is able to reposition and shoots and it is bird 1 that had gotten up walked off and got seduced back to his 2nd and final death.

They ain't real smart but they can be fun and sometimes tough....

24-May-17
Awesome!! When it rains it pours....well done Pat:)

30-May-17
Way to redeem yourself Pat! : )

03-Jun-17
Nice way to end the season, congrats!

04-Jun-17
Were all those turkeys in your Chufa field??

26-Mar-18
Just a reminder to everyone to be careful out there this spring and always make sure your Turkey's are really DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could not resist, the devil made me do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

27-Mar-18
LMBO! : )

27-Mar-18
Thanks for posting Pat. Good lesson for us all.

I always appreciate a man that can laugh at himself:-)

27-Mar-18
Yeah, that is the best part, Dooner! That Pat had enough of a sense of humor to post it for all to see. I applaud him for that! : )

27-Mar-18
If you could carry the buff back to the camera, I doubt anyone would be giving you any lip!

27-Mar-18

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
Got this from a friend.

27-Mar-18
I was thinking about this thread the other day. BAM! It pops up. I can't stop laughing. Funniest thing I've seen in about a year.

Brotsky, you are one funny guy

• Sitka Gear