Mark Watkins 08-May-17
Ace 08-May-17
06-May-17

Matt Palmquist's embedded Photo
Doubled Up!
Doubled Up!
Trophy Jake! 5" beard and according to Nedly, a 25 lber:)
Trophy Jake! 5" beard and according to Nedly, a 25 lber:)
Arrow blew through the bird and stuck in the log...he didn't go far!!
Arrow blew through the bird and stuck in the log...he didn't go far!!
Ned has hit me up a time or two about coming to Kansas to try his hand at Fanning in a bird and at the recent P&Y convention we set a date to make it happen!!

We hunted all day yesterday and had action from the get go with some close calls!! Ned can go into more detail if he wants:)

I had one tag left and he had two. Mid day we saw a pile of turkeys working towards some cover where I expected they would lay up for the mid day heat. It was worth giving them a try even though it would take some time to loop around and get in front of the birds. We slowly worked our way through the creek bottom and spotted a few birds working our way. I was running a Heads Up Decoy and Ned was running the Ultimate Predator decoy:) We decided to hang tight and let them work in and see us and it worked like a charm and we doubled up on a couple jakes!!

Matt

06-May-17
Glad nobody shot you guys on accident :)

06-May-17
I almost said... save your comments on the safety of the tactic.... Thanks Zach for your concern;)

06-May-17
Nicely done! Looks like a blast!

Mark

06-May-17
That would be some major fun....nice work fellas!

06-May-17
KILLER!!!!!

06-May-17
Good times!!

06-May-17
I've decoyed for years but haven't done much "fanning"..I tried it the other day with 3 two year olds out in a field that came into view. They saw it & after standing high looking for 3 seconds they broke at a dead run to 6 yds! Very deadly tactic!

06-May-17
I liked that a lot. Paul

06-May-17
Good for you guys!

06-May-17
Congrats! Amazingly you guys survived to create a thread about your reckless behavior. Anyone brave enough to fan probably? plays Russian Roulette with 6 in the cylinder. :)

06-May-17
Way to go

06-May-17
Well done boys!

06-May-17
Hell yeah. Good work guys!

06-May-17
Good work fellas!!

06-May-17
When I saw the thread title, I was afraid I was gonna see Ned in a bra, fan dancing!

Congrats on the birds guys!

06-May-17
Hah! T-Roy, Ned actually said the action was so slow at times they went looking for the nearest Victoria's Secret. ;)

07-May-17
Lol! One of these days I'm going to kill a bird fanning...

Congrats guys!

07-May-17
Nicely done...

07-May-17
Wonder if any of the guys who trash fanning ride motorcycles?

07-May-17
Bet that was fun!! Congrats to all involved ! Hunt

07-May-17
Congrats gents! Way to get it done!

07-May-17
Congrats guys, I'm gonna have to try that !

07-May-17
Have you ever hunted with someone for the first time yet feel like you have hunted with each other for a long time? I had such a feeling this weekend.

I wanted to gain experience with this fanning technique as I had never done it before. I have arrowed numerous turkeys over the years but most have been out of blinds, out of tree stands, or stalking them. My first turkey was taken on a stalk with my chest waders on but that is another story.

I asked Matty P. for a lesson in fanning and he agreed to show me the ropes. I will have to be on my game and in good behavior I told myself.

08-May-17
I had bought an Ultimate Predator bow mounted decoy at the convention and knew that Matt runs a Heads Up decoy. I was hoping to buy a Heads Up while I was out there and Mr. Roe set me up with one the afternoon of the first day. I hunted with both kinds so was able to make an assessment of which I preferred after using both kinds. I wanted to us a bow mounted versus the umbrella type out of personal preference. I got to use both kinds which was cool.

08-May-17
I have admired Matt's success over the years, his passion for bow hunting, and his devotion to the Pope and Young club. So another reason for going fanning was an excuse to see what makes him tick and experience western Kansas. I witnessed a strong nucleus in a caring family and a network of very good friends. There is no doubt in my mind this helps him tick and tick well. LOL. I was thankful to be in the mix of this nucleus if only for just a little while.

The first day of hunting had us amongst the birds from the git-go. Our first approach resulted in a tom at 25 yards but just didn't allow for a shot opportunity. We were actually smack dab in the middle of a picked corn field and it amazed me that we could get so close without spooking the birds. We backed out and looked for another flock.

A short time later, we approached a group of six strutting toms. After a very short walk we presented the fans, and had two of the strutters break from the group and aggressively approach us. Well, I missed the shot and didn't capitalize on that great opportunity. Typical Nedstink I call it.

On to look for more birds. We found some and made an approach which resulted in the pictures above. Really we were three for three in shot opportunities at this point.

08-May-17
Didn't surprise me that it was in a corn field. Way to go Ned!

08-May-17
After a great lunch, we met up with Mr. Roe. He set me up with a Heads Up decoy and away we went to find another bird as I had two tags. We had action immediately. On one stalk that I made with Mr. Roe, we got in close but had some thick vegetation in the way preventing a shot. Several more opportunities presented that I just didn't capitalize on. More Nedstink. But it was a great day, hunting with two new awesome hunting partners, and gaining experience fanning. Learning from the best I thought!!

08-May-17
Matt's Mom came in to town to stay with his daughter. It was awesome to watch how excited his daughter was to see her Grandma. This experience of family is absent in my life so it was very heartwarming to me. Matt's wife had a tag so we made a plan to set up in an area with a blind the second morning. I would be excited to watch her take her tom. So that's what we did. We walked in on the second morning and set up in the dark....

08-May-17
Matt can tell this story if he wants. Lol. The end result was a little bad luck for his wife and a filled second tag for me with a pretty two year old bird(most likely).

08-May-17

Ned mobile 's embedded Photo

08-May-17
When I put pics on with my cell phone, they are upright on the phone but not when presented on bowsite. I haven't fiqured that one out yet????

08-May-17
We went back to Matt's place and had some lunch and relaxed with the family. Later we headed to town to experience some live music in a cool old theatre venue. Stoney was performing. We celebrated til late that evening. LOL. It was a short but very sweet hunt and I thank Matty P. for the experience!!!!!!!!!!!

08-May-17

08-May-17

Matt was the last to leave the concert
Matt was the last to leave the concert

08-May-17
Hmmm...last to leave a party...sounds familiar:)

Poor Jerri. Finally got a bird to cooperate and come right to the stuffer that Ned brought with him. In hindsight, we should have let the bird dance around and put on a show for a little bit, but I didn't. I had Jerri draw as the bird approached the decoy and he went out of strut when she did and provided a perfect 1/4 away shot into the back. Jerri took her time and was waiting so I assumed that she was letting him get into the opening on the window. But when she let the arrow loose it perfectly centered the blind rod and STUCK in it! I couldn't believe it and neither could she, and honestly neither could the bird! The bird was still well within her range and didn't really spook, but she couldn't regroup so I told Ned to shoot him and he made a perfect shot!! Tagged out in a day and a half!!!

08-May-17
Those are the types of things that happen when you don't have a responsible figure--like myself--around to keep you guys in line and to bed early

08-May-17
Yea, Zack... I got a small invite and I'm thinking they wanted me to do the "keep them in line" part. I'm assuming they thought better of it and the offer was rescinded. I feel like the ugly chick at the dance. :)

08-May-17
Well done gentlemen!

08-May-17
Nedly just can't stay away from them cornfields....

08-May-17
Nice! I still haven't been able to have any success fanning, but I keep trying :)

08-May-17
Ned...Go to "image tools" on the pics above and hit the "rotate" button.

08-May-17
Nedly didn't sport any women's clothing while in western KS did he?

Mark

08-May-17
Fanning Turkeys, Fan Dancing, Honestly I'm a little disappointed that nobody went for the Dakota Fanning punchline.

• Sitka Gear