SteveB 14-Jul-17
Orion 14-Jul-17
kota-man 14-Jul-17
TMA1010 14-Jul-17
BIG BEAR 14-Jul-17
Orion 14-Jul-17
BIG BEAR 14-Jul-17
09-May-17
Me and buddy drove 48 hours to big tine adventures Blake shmyr owner for the absolute worst archery mule deer hunt ever! Drove in hope of hunting extra few days as agreed for set amount dollars but that's never his intentions at all. 4 guys in camp and I was the only guy with opportunity and I missed at 75 yards on a 150 class buck the only decent buck I seen all trip and hunted every day of 6 days. The other two guys saw a supposedly 180 on property couldn't hunt twice from road. All we done is ride in trucks from daylight to 10-11am then sleep or lay around until his wife had supper done at 5pm cause we had to eat before going out so she could have dishes done and kids ready for bed. Heaven for bid we didn't eat that night or any other time. Ride from 6-9pm again repeat. Guides smoking cigarettes after cigarette. they had no farm ground hardly in unitwhere hunting 80% woods absolutely not bow hunters!! My guides first time ever guiding a mule deer hunter! Blake is biggest smart ass ever was and just plain made fun of every American hunter and show on TV in front of us. Very bad experience for me as I never plan to hunt Canada again ever! Worst possible experience ever in my honest opinion! I've hunted lots hunts in 15 years traveling and it's just a joke!!

09-May-17
After booking the hunt and calling Alberta wildlife resources I learned Blake had game violations also but they wouldn't disclose any details. Every archery shop in town had nothing good to say about him either. I've heard lots rumors from other guides also not to go into detail in that but guys like this should be put out of business ruining dreams of people who work hard for there money! I rode a boat 265 days out of 365 to be able to make this trip and my buddy painted no telling how many cars!! Jim burnswurth should be ashamed representing such an outfitter also! From Blake's comments him and Jim never saw eye to eye! Blake is worried about nothing but money! Also posted pics of mule deer in other units from friends and family on fb while were there hunting with him. Where all like you know what a lier you are man it's pathetic!

09-May-17
why did u pick him?

09-May-17
Sorry you had such a bad experience. You have to do your homework when you are going to fork over a lot of money for a hunt!

09-May-17
Shared basecamp in the Yukon a couple years ago. He likes his guns and talks a big talk. Wasn't impressed.

09-May-17
Outdoor TV in a nutshell... sorry you had a bad hunt.

09-May-17
Sounds like you should have vetted the outfitter before booking the hunt instead of after. Now that you've learned that, your future Canadian hunts should be at minimum average.

09-May-17
Lesson #1: Before booking a hunt come in here and ask, "Have you heard of X outfitter?"

20/20 hindsight but I usually ask for recos or reviews from guys in here - someone usually has heard/or hunted with them.

Make sure you write a review as that's the only thing you can really do.

Sorry for your bad experience.

09-May-17
Did you do your research before you put money down? How much was it for each Hunter? Was the price to good to be true? Seems you called the right folks free you booked, not the way to do it, so,a. Little of the responsibility falls on you guys, sorry. In today's world of should have been able to find info on these guys,also, why didn't you book with a bowsite sponsor?

09-May-17
Must have been cheap

09-May-17
Website currently has no pictures, claims they are coming, and only one customer review from 2010. There is a space for reviews so you could post your comments and see how long they remain on the website.

09-May-17
research isn't everything... I used an Outfitter that has amazing reviews on here and had the worst experience with him I could imagine! He has a ton of crony's on here so I have never said a word, however I have PM'd a bunch of guys and warned them off. He is a total POS and I wouldn't hunt with him again if he gave me a free hunt... OH WAIT... He did give me a free hunt that I will not be going on. I will not tolerate a lying, egotistical, arrogant POS when I am paying for his services. AZ hunters, be very careful who you choose for your guide!

Sorry for your experience Kansas, I know exactly how you feel!

Scar.

09-May-17
"never plan to hunt Canada again ever"

Canada or Alberta are not the problem, the individual is, as in See all the great reviews of Bowsite sponsers Graham Brigden and Mikes Outfitting for Mule deer hunts in Alberta Canada

09-May-17
Scar, if your guide is a POS and he has his Cronies out here you should tell your experience. What about the guy who is planning a trip with this Guide and doesn't know, sort of your responsibility in a way to inform fellow hunters out here.

09-May-17
LB,

I have pm'd several guys and actually have had several people PM me. Maybe I will, the story is very long and complicated, but maybe I will post it up. I would gladly talk to anyone that wants some information before booking with a guide in AZ.

09-May-17
You mean Graham Brigden?

09-May-17
I need to go get some work done, but I might do a post later today. I would hate for someone else to have the experience I did.

Scar.

09-May-17
Guy can't be all bad if he made fun of American hunting TV shows..

09-May-17
Seems like a trend. Ref Archery Talk thread. "January 3rd, 2017, 10:44 PM Big tine adventures Just wanted put a review of my Alberta hunt Blake Shmyr owner of big tine adventures. Archery mule deer hunt Aug 25-30 worst hunt I've ever been on period! Nothing was as expected! Only one buck worth stalking which was 150s and I missed the buck but that's besides the point. Out of four hunters I was only one to make a stalk. No bucks where seen other than this buck and one other shooter who stayed on property couldn't hunt. Was made clear upfront he had his money and didn't care if we liked it or not. We rode around from daylight until 10-11am then sat at house until 5pm to eat supper which you had to or it wouldn't be there next day he said. Then go ride from 6pm-9pm with a guide who was a great guy and I like very much. He's not a bow hunter though. Was paid to take care of us so owner could do whatever. It's a joke! He actually went got lawn mower from shop first day of hunt. Personal stuff was more important. Also stated that he didn't scout weeks before cause he's paid to guide week where there not all summer. That's the way they do it in Yukon he said! For a hunt to cost 6k and four guys in camp with opportunity what so ever for 3 of the guys. He talked about Americans and our way of hunting the whole time I was there! He'd watch a show and slur the Drury brothers saying they can't kill nothing hunting pen deer. I thought they or to film your hunt be riding round jump out of truck shooting from 15ft off side of road cause that's legal! There a joke man and definitely not bow hunters! You can kill with a rifle from a truck if that's your thing. In Alberta there units are 50 miles by 100miles or peace river area at least. He literally had 20% or less farm ground! Other outfitters locally had lots farm ground. Be glad answer any questions if anybody thinking of hunting with them don't. "

09-May-17
The secrecy of POS rip of artist outfitters and bowyers on here amaze me. I would have no loyalty to a POS who did me wrong and he/she would be called out by name.

09-May-17
Link for his Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/BigTineAdventures/

09-May-17
So I just posted the review on the Outfitter page... My Outfitter was no other than Ward's Outfitters! I dealt with Stephen Ward himself, in all his self proclaimed glory. Pat, I don't think it's right that an outfitter can respond, but the O.P can't comment after that. I would never use them again! As I said a complete cluster %%&*!!!! Worst experience I could imagine from an outfitter! he lied or went back on his word at every turn! I would be happy to discuss my experience with anyone that is interested or is considering using him for their hunt. I will do a story on it if you all want me too, but it was a rifle hunt.

Thanks,

Scar.

09-May-17
Scar, Hope you at least post on the outfitter reviews. AZ tags are hard to come by.

09-May-17
Midwest... I did, I wasn't going to, but I did. I am not a guy that likes to trash someone, and I don't want to hear him spew BS and all his crony's running to his defense. If you like him, fine, use him. If you want my experience, I will give it to you!

Scar.

09-May-17
A simple google search reveals a decade long string of wildlife act convictions against the Shmyr brothers and Droptine Adventures. There is no good reason for potential client's to be ignorant of what kind of people these guys are.

Alberta Resident hunters and many outfitters are embarrassed and frustrated at the ability for some outfitters being able to continue business despite a record of habitual poaching convictions. Hell, APOS, the delegated authority managing outfitters in Alberta, had a President for many years that was the province's worst international poacher....

At the same time, it is embarrassing that so many hunters are booking with these outfitters and keeping them in business despite how easy it is to vet their history as poachers.

Kansas, sorry to hear you had a terrible experience, yet confused why you wouldn't take the time to do a cursory internet search to learn about who you were hiring. You could have so easily avoided this event.

09-May-17
Sounds like there was plenty of info and street talk that this outfitter was no good. Too bad you didn't do your homework and learn more about the outfitter before booking.

09-May-17
Mark I'm guessing that you had more to do with your bad experience than the Outfitter did

09-May-17
Forest, I held up my end of the bargain... He did not. I was successful, I killed a bull. I would just never use him again and would not advise anyone else to either. Think what you want, I am the one that dealt with it, and paid for it! If you would like to talk about it, PM me, I will gladly discuss it with you.

KANSAS,

Sorry for high jacking your post. I won't comment on your post again. My apologies!

God Bless,

Scar.

09-May-17
Mark Williams Let’s get the story straight here. Yes you booked a rifle hunt with us last season. Originally your guide was going to be Nick Escobedo , but plans changed when he was caught stealing form our elk camp. And is now being prosecuted for that act, I then decided to change your guide to Robert who lives in unit 22 and guides for us in that unit. Let’s point out the fact that when you found out that nick was no longer going to be your guide you called and left a 2 min voice mail calling me every name in the book because I didn’t inform you your guide had changed!!!! I agree I didn’t notify you right away that you were going to have a different guide ,but in the busy season of outfitting things get hectic and it passed my mind. Let be sure to mention you killed the first bull you laid eyes on even though you were told it was not the caliber of bull you were looking for. Yes my guide advised you it was the biggest bull he had seen scouting , but with that said I advised you that big bulls will get pressured into the area you were hunting from the other rifle hunters and to be patient. This was a 7 day guide only hunt and you choose to shoot the first bull you had seen. YOU SIR PULLED THE TRIGGER. You and I spoke on the phone after the fact and you agreed you got excited and killed the bull prematurely. I felt bad for you and offered you a Archery Coues deer hunt at cost. We came to an agreement. I told you when I had time I would send you a hunt contract, you then called me in the middle of a hunt in January and immediately started cussing me out because I had not sent you a contract. You were so loud the clients sitting with me could hear your every word !!!! At that point I was done dealing with your nonsense and reacted un professionally. But when the conversation was complete we again agreed to still do the cost Coues deer hunt, I advised you to contact me in March and we would get the contract sent to you. You didn’t contact me !!! And here is where we stand today.

09-May-17
Well......

09-May-17
Internet arguments succeed 100% of the time.... in making both involved parties look like assholes.

On another note: truck hunting is the way they do it in Alberta for the most part. I've heard a ton of stories about how many trucks were wrecked chasing Milo Hansons buck.

09-May-17
Internet arguments succeed 100% of the time.... in making both involved parties look like assholes.

I fully agree, I would rather Mark call me and we could have had this dealt with already.

09-May-17
Cricket sounds......

09-May-17
Amazing how no names were mentioned but all of a sudden.... Wham! He posts his side of the story.

Now how could he have known that it was he was the topic and not some other outfitter?

09-May-17
cnelk

Read the above post and you will see he did mention my business

09-May-17
Thank god im not an outfitter. First cuss word thrown my way would be it for me.

09-May-17
What?

09-May-17
It's been my experience that whenever a bad outfitter review pops up the result is either a bad outfitter, a bad client, or sometimes it's both. The rest of us consumers on the outside looking in have to weed through all the smelly BS to figure out which is which before we make informed choices on who to spend our hard earned money with.

09-May-17
Actually Stephen let's lay down the facts... You contacted me via Bowsite, I didn't contact you, I was looking into a different Outfitter, when you came on my post and told me to contact you, remember? You made guarantees about the 300-325 class bulls you cold put me on in that unit when in reality, your own guides said no way. You told me to deal directly with Nick on my hunt, not you, since he was guiding me. Si I did... I called you seven days before my hunt because I hadn't heard from anyone. I talked to Nick and he said he had quit 2 months before. You never informed me of that little fact.... Nick did, you completely forgot about my hunt... The guy you put me with is a brand new guide, not the superstar you said he was... he also had 4 friends he was helping on the that hunt, in that unit at the same time... they were staying at his house... and he has a business he was trying to run in town. He also didn't find out he was guiding me until 10 minutes AFTER I talked to you that night! He was planning on helping his buddies, . not me. How do I know all this? He told me this himself.... His buddies even came and helped us pack the bull out of that canyon, and then they all, including the guide, took off and went hunting with all my meet laying on the table and ground in my camp... Now, I might of cussed at you, and have probably called you a name or two, but this was all your deal, not mine... Just like it was your deal on the Couse hunt... You guaranteed to me a free hunt if I wasn't satisfied.... This happened prior to the hunt, and it was when I wanted my money back! After my hunt, when we discussed this, you then went back on your word and wanted to charge me more money for the couse hunt! I don't need you to feel sorry for me in the slightest... I definitely didn't get excited and kill the bull prematurely! Your funny!! , I was very calm... and your guide said that was the biggest bull he had seen in weeks up there and that he would take the shot if he was me.... I made the decision, I made an excellent planned out heart shot on the bull, and it's done. I'm happy with killing my bull, even if it's not what you "guaranteed" for that area.. I decided not to take you up on the Couse hunt for two reasons... One, after all the other crap I went through on this hunt, you went back on your word and wanted to charge me money to pay the guide for the couse deer hunt. And two, I was tired of your lies and BS. I think you lie to people to get there business and then don't really care... I don't trust you, and I think your a dishonest businessman! This can go on and on... but this all just he said, she said.. Not really interested. I'm done with you and don't care what you think. Anyone that asks will get my honest opinion. Call me if you want to discuss this some more, My review is what it is.

Mark.

09-May-17
If you follow my thought...

Often you can tell the most about a man by what he chooses to say about other men.

09-May-17
I rest my case.

probably both really nice fellas....

Also, if you think an elk hunt where you KILL a bull is terrible, you're in for a real treat on some future trip. That's nothing compared to some of the rodeos I've been on. Another caveat: there are no size or success guarantees in real hunting. Go inside the wire from now on if that's what you're after.

09-May-17
Three sides to every story.

09-May-17
Mark you are right this could go on forever, he said she said. I know exactly what I said, and what I offered you. This was a guide only hunt and the meat is your issue. I am done dealing with your rude and very disrespectful attitude. you pulled the trigger!!! you sir killed a bull!!! good luck on your future hunts.

09-May-17
I agree halibut but if guarantees are made they should be delivered. Ive also never seen an outfitter offer a free or discounted hunt over some fella getting "excited" and shooting a small one. I would think the free or reduced price is an admission of guilt.On another note the outfitters I know don't hire thieves and felons. Just my 2 cents .

09-May-17
It would be productive if the thread returned some focus back on the Schmyr brothers and Big Tine Adventures Outfitters. These guys need to be eliminated from the outfitting industry. One direction to this end is for hunters to stop hiring chronic poachers as their outfitter!

Having followed the history of a number of outfitters with numerous wildlife poaching convictions spanning many years, it appears that MANY clients are happy to be willfully ignorant or complicit in working with this type of "professional". Must be a condition where the desire for a trophy rules supreme.

Shaming bad outfitters is obviously not enough to put them out of business, people who hire these outfitters deserve to be outed as well.

09-May-17
Kansas freak, sorry about your bad experience! Choosing Mike's Outfitting was a no brainer for me. There were to many solid Bowsite Peep referrals for me to look elsewhere.

My guide was super in all aspects form being first out last in, ever vigilant, great at spotting, and in the end the recovery.

I primarily set this hunt up with an old high school friend who has had his share of bad experiences. He is going back next week for a bear hunt and then later on the fall on a rifle mule deer hunt. I guess that is enough of an endorsement enough from my friend but I am sure he will be talking about a goat hunt in the near future....

09-May-17
Link

We offer discounted hunts to a number of our clients , even if it isn't our fault, We know most of our hunter are working class and have saved for years to be able to go on a guided hunt. We not admitting guilt I agreed I made a mistake not letting mike know his guide had changed. as for hiring thieves we had no idea he was a thieve he had worked for us for years, We delt with that issue quickly.

09-May-17
Thank you Stephen, and good luck to you as well.

09-May-17
I am always sorry to hear when a customer is not happy. I deal with customers all the time and once in a while I drop the ball, sometimes the customer drops the ball and sometimes is hard to know who misunderstood the other or did something wrong. I would be nervous if communication stopped leading up to a guided hunt. I would be nervous if the named guide was switched at the last minute. If the guide was less seasoned than the initially designated guide and the guide was not full time during the hunt due to helping buddies figure out their hunt plans and having a job that needed attention rather than the hunt then this is an easy call for me. The customer did not get the best efforts. Communication fell short leading up to the hunt. The guided effort is questionable. You will get blowback if you deal with customers. I would be upset for anyone calling me a liar or cussing or bring up my mother, though, has happened a few times and I calmly tell the customer to please calm down or call back when they have calmed down. I get the frustration of feeling was hoodwinked and as an outfitter you will have disappointed hunters and you should allow for commination whether is the heat of the rut or middle of spring when is quiet. As for the size of the bulls, sounds like was strategic to wait for migration onto the private property once pressure built on the surrounding properties and the guide holds a lot of responsibility for not saying that over and over and over rather than comment on how a particular bull compares to what has been on the property. Migration rewrites the rules. I have never done business with anyone who guarantees me a result that they really can't and that includes elk of a certain size or shot opportunity. Hope the hunter and outfitter can work this out. Lessons for everyone if are calm and look inside.

09-May-17
I agree with a few comments from above. The OP could of did an internet search and seen just how bad this guy was to begin with. As soon as I saw multiple game violations I am done and start looking else where. Sorry but it was more then a little bit of your own fault for choosing this shady outfit!! Scooby

09-May-17
Been working sorry guys.. I did research the guy a lot 6 years ago and talked on phone andjust worked out this past year on fluke deal. He's always booked and last minute cancellation on fb post I booked with him. I had spoken to several people who all spoke good years ago but now talk bad about him after I have bad things to say. The hunt was 6k plus tags also. I followed him on fb for over 5 years and talked to his past clients also. He doesn't do website I believe so you can't post reviews on him only thing makes sense to me honestly. He brags about all the clients he had begging to hunt with him just run them thru in and out working only x amount of weeks a year.

09-May-17
Also my job is hard to plan hunts over year out or was at the time. I would gladly went with mikes outfitting cause he has so many good reviews but everywhere like that was booked last year. Last year being first chance off work in August in 4 years. My buddy followed me and I honestly felt good about the hunt before arriving. I was confident where gonna see multipile bucks just up to us to capitalize. That's not the case at all. No pre scouting what so ever! Hell first day of hunt he took his lawn mower to get worked on mid morning! He supposedly rode looking for bucks while his hired guides took us out but no one ever got a call from him finding a buck! Blamed the rain and tall crops all I got from him!

10-May-17
I'm being nice as I can about it and really didn't wanna say anything period cause I don't wanna be that guy.. but its almost been a year and I'm still sick over the whole deal. You live and you learn oh well next outfitter I hunt with will be lots of questions on here about them guarantee you!

10-May-17
Sorry to hear it but you have to do a lot of research. I booked a Manitoba hunt last year and I knew it would probably be slow due to several hard winters they had previously. It was very slow by Kansas standards but I was able to kill a really nice 9 point and missed a buck of several lifetimes. Bowsite is an excellent resource for finding info on deer numbers and outfitters.

10-May-17
X2 Dave

10-May-17
Bad Outfitters exist because hunters who shortcut research exists. PM guys here! How easy can it be

10-May-17
Anybody wanna go on a guided jackalope hunt? we got BOONERS behind every bush man!

10-May-17
Sign me up Elkherder!!! I'll send you my 10,000 non refundable deposit tomorrow.

11-May-17
I definitely wouldn't "not hunt Canada" because of a bad experience. There are bad apples everywhere. "They truck hunt in Alberta, heard stories a ton of trucks were wrecked chasing the Hanson buck." Well, A - the Hanson buck was killed in Saskatchewan, not Alberta, and you're going to hear rumors about every big deer killed. Each province is about twice the size of Texas, so you're actually a long way from one when you're in the other.

Anywhere remote, there are going to be a lot of locals driving trucks to kill animals, and there will always be guys hunting properly. I'm sorry you had a bad experience in Canada.

11-May-17

APauls's Link
Here's an interesting thread on Alberta Outdoors regarding the outfitter in question. Quite comical actually.

11-May-17
Talking about people not doing their research, I think a lot of them get dubbed at the outdoor shows. The guys that in these booths are very slick sellsmen. I won't even make eye contact with them. They are there for one reason only, and that is to put the fairy dust in your eyes with one hand and take the money out of your wallet with the other.

Sign the contract during the show and receive 10% off a hunt of a lifetime. Well ya get the picture. At this point the guys dubbed can only hope for the best at that point.

Just for the record I have never been on a guided hunt and never plan on it.

11-May-17
I used to post on threads like this to try to bring levity to a volatile situation. But I found most folks have their mind made up and I couldn't convince them to jump out of a burning building.... sometimes things just turn to crap. I've been on a few guided hunts, some good some bad. But I was hunting and that beats work, or prison, or the hospital, or the clap. Carry on. Mike

11-May-17
This is the sort of thing that actually makes me glad that I can't see hiring an outfitter.

11-May-17
Florida Mike,told everything......

11-May-17
What if you catch the clap on a guided hunt?

I don't think it's possible to get the clap DIY....???

11-May-17
I can't imagine killing a bull and being that disappointed. How big was the bull ?? Was it a spike bull or something and your guide said to shoot it because it's the biggest you will see ?? Can you post a picture of it ?? I just can't imagine killing a bull and then expecting a free hunt because you weren't happy with your hunt.

12-May-17
man, if I had the chance to go elk hunting, and kill a branch antlered bull elk. I'd be happier than a pig. . . .

12-May-17

SJJ's Link

12-May-17
Think some of you should go read the story, not only on this thread but there's another titled, outfitters. Read. And then you can decide, killing an animal is great but when things aren't what they are suppose to be it can sour a trip quick.

12-May-17
I want to clarify one thing from FL Mike's post...getting the clap is fun, having the clap is not....or so I've heard.

12-May-17
the old "risk vs. reward"...

12-May-17
When I lost my job and caught the clap in prison.......

Had a bad experience with a reputable Canadian outfitter once because his camp manager lied to us and treated us like crap. Both my partner and I hunted hard and killed a nice representative caribou, and had a great guide (boat driver, actually) but wrote letters to the owner because the manager was a real problem, and we felt he should know about the lies. We didn't ask for any reparations.

He offered us a highly discounted hunt, which we accepted, and the camp manager treated us like royalty on that trip.

I'll bet if you talked to the camp manager, he'd tell you we were stupid Americans who expected to be pampered and presented with a B&C bull on a platter. He wouldn't tell you about lying to us after the owner sent a plane to move us to a bou-rich area, when he told us there were no animals there either. He said if we left we had to use a rifle and shoot the first animal we saw, per the outfitter rules. Everyone in that other camp had tagged out with big bulls (archery) in the first two days, we later learned.

Always two sides to every story.

12-May-17
Go read the "Outfitter" thread on the whole Wards issue.

I am sorry but he's dragged it all over the site so my opinion Wards was probably totally screwed from the beginning with this guy and I feel for them.

His expectations were ridiculous and NO ONE makes you pull the trigger. Period. Especially on day one?

BTW many guys hunt with Wards in here and this is the first unhappy hunter out of the dozens and dozens of reports from guys in here.

12-May-17
it's becoming clearer.

12-May-17
Yes it is

12-May-17
Go on the outfitter reviews there are 30+ 4/5 star reviews. this is the ONLY negative review of the outfitter.

Makes you wonder....

12-May-17
Gentlemen, Just in case you missed it, Steven Ward and I have worked things out and this is a dead issue. I actually removed the review on the Outfitters page this morning, by my own actions and because I am willing to work through this withStephen, as he is willing to work through this with me. We spoke at length yesterday and we are working with a clean slate and moving forward..

Have good day, and God Bless,

Mark

12-May-17
All is well just ends well. Good outcome

11-Jul-17
I just stumbled across this today,and like someone said in this thread there is always multiple sides too a story. For starters I'm quite offended being called out like this especially when the hunter who started this whole thing didn't have the balls I guess you could say to talk to me direct while he was here hunting with me. If he had did so,potentially we could have worked something out. He made comments how our areas here are 50x100 miles big which is very untrue. The unit Grant hunted is roughly 40x18 miles with with much of it being cover in heavy brush,un huntable when it comes to bow hunting deer. The farmland area in this unit is around 15x18 miles square. A few of my other deer units have much more farmland. I'll admit we did have a tough bow hunt last year and in preparation I hired another guide to help us out which cost me an extra $2000 for the week. I didn't have to do so,but I did so we could cover more ground. The hunter makes it sound like I did nothing while he was here. I was looking for deer every morning and every afternoon just like they were. It was just tough going. The hunter pretty well hunted the same good shooter deer all week,a Buck around 170" that missed twice on 2 seperate days with a crossbow none the less. He called it a 150" deer but the buck was much better then that. I no a good muley deer when i see one as I've personally guided 89 mule deer bucks over 180" and around 130 over 170-220". I'm not sure if Grant ever seen a mule deer buck before he came here. Opportunities were scarce that hunt,the deer were there,we just had a hard time finding them. They showed up later on and we cleaned up a bunch of big bucks from 170-190" with our rifle hunters. And remarks of years of convictions? Yes I haven't been an angel,I've made my mistakes,and paid dearly for them. In the past,this doesn't make me a bad person nor bad outfitter. I've been in business a long time and have 100's of positive reviews by hunters signed and dated by my many clients in my guest book. The other hunters that were here that week had a hard hunt as well. But both talked about booking my 4 only archery mule deer spots for 2018 and bringing their sons along. Funny how the guy to running me into the dirt was the only guy out of 4 to have multiple shots!!! On a good deer,a well into p/y buck. And also,I've learned since that this hunter was totally capable of shooting a compound bow,but opted to get a doctor's note to enable him to use a cross bow while here in general are he season. He could be charged with providing false information? Again,there's always multiple sides to a story. I may have said some comments about the hunting show on TV these days,common guys,you have to agree that there is a lot of garbage on the networks these day. That my opinion. All in all it was a tough hunt,and Grant and his friend were not a good fit for my place. Sorry it didn't work out,but that's hunting. I went on a $22k dall sheep hunt and didn't even see a legal ram! You wanna talk about tough! There's no guarantees in hunting. He slept well,ate well here and also missed a p/y mule deer buck twice. He also said he likeed his guide. Sour grapes......

11-Jul-17
I'm sure if he would of hit the good buck on one of his 2 shot opportunities,took it home,had it mounted on his wall and name in the p/y record books this thread would have never taken place. Can't blame the outfit for your misses. And for the record,Grant was a very likeable guy. Me and my staff didn't have any issues with him while he was here.

11-Jul-17
"never plan to hunt Canada again ever" I went Canada hunted daylight to dark. Left in the dark came back to camp in the darks everyone in camp killed or got shots. Mike's Alberta Outfitting. Don't et one experience make your decision. There are good outfitters out there!

13-Jul-17
Now if we can only get the truth of what happened on Bou Bound's cougar hunt with Jay Fuller in Alberta!

13-Jul-17
Heard it was confiscated for a trespassing violation.

13-Jul-17
Thanks @Orion. Mr. @Bou'bound is this true?

13-Jul-17
I'm not really sure that selling some antlers on line is the poaching crime of the century. Now jacking a deer at night is another thing.

13-Jul-17
xbowfromNY don't hold your breath he hasn't answered any of the previous threads about it. I guess he is just hoping it goes away. He has given people a lot of grief on here you would think he would just man up and admit what happened.

13-Jul-17
@Orion your assessment is 100% correct.

14-Jul-17
Orion ..... Grant has given people a lot of grief on here ?? When has Grant EVER given anyone grief on the bowsite ?? All I have ever seen from him here are tactful respectful contributions. My dad and I shared a camp with Grant in Newfoundland in 2003. I was rifle hunting and of course Grant was bow hunting. My dad and I came away with a profound respect for Grant. I have greatly enjoyed his contributions here as well as his written stories of his hunts around the world. I don't know anything at all about his cougar hunt and only just now am finding out about it by reading up on old posts. My question to you or anyone else is if an outfitter took you onto property he didn't have permission to be on without telling you,,, how in the hell would you know ?? It sounds to me like the outfitter did something wrong ...... As for his silence on the issue why in the hell would he post anything on a public website about something pending that his outfitter got him caught up in ??

14-Jul-17
Big Bear - if that is the truth, he could simply say that he is caught up in a legal matter to which he cannot discuss at this time. Forum members want to know an answer about this Jay Fuller operation before potentially booking a hunt.

14-Jul-17
They can always PM him. If his outfitter dragged him into something I'm sure the last thing on his mind is looking out for you. Grant has been around the world and I'm not sure but I would guess he's working on a super slam. We writes articles for magazines and has his reputation and this is probably something he would rather not air out on the Bowsite.....

14-Jul-17
It was a trespassing issue. Who's to blame is not (and probably never will be) known. Likely the outfitter of course. But being Canada, it will eventually blow over, a hand or two will get slapped, the hunter will get his trophy back and life will go on.

14-Jul-17
Really Big Bear I have seen a ton of condescending and smart a## remarks from him on here. As far as not knowing where your at, really? GPS units are fairly cheap these days not to mention do people not study the area, unit, territory, etc. that they are hunting? Guided or not you should know where your at and all applicable laws of where your hunting. It has also been almost a year and a half since his hunt so it may be more then just trespassing. Also heard Grant himself received a fine while up there

14-Jul-17
orion...Regarding guided hunts, in "theory" you are probably correct. In "reality", I'd be willing to bet 99% of guys on guided hunts don't know where they are at most of the time. Irresponsible? Maybe, but from a guy that's done well over 50 guided hunts you put your trust in your outfitter and at times it can be really hard to know where you are at 100% of the time, ESPECIALLY on a cat hunt. If the speculation is true, what happened to 'bou could happen to ANYONE on a guided hunt. If you think differently, I would bet you don't go on many guided hunts.

As far as the condescending and smart a## stuff goes, I've crossed paths with 'boubound a time or two on hunts, read his articles, and read his stuff here; and for the most part I think his sense of humor comes across/gets taken as condescending and smart but that's it. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion. Let the issue die people. It is none of our business.

14-Jul-17
Kota x 2...

14-Jul-17
Exactly Kota-Man..... I sure as heck didn't know where I was at on the guided hunts I've been on... I trusted my guides to know where we were. And the handheld GPS unit I own would not have done me any good even if I had it with me. It doesn't tell me if I'm on private land or government land or give me any kind of property boundaries......

14-Jul-17
sounds like you need onxmaps for your unit. Kota-Man I didn't bring this back up someone else did.

14-Jul-17
Study the unit, territory they are hunting ?? From what you are posting Orion,,, I am going to guess that you have never been on a hound hunt. Obviously,, miles and miles and miles of roads are covered looking to cut a track..... It wouldn't even be practical to carry your little magic GPS thingy and every mile you cover looking to cut a track,,, You question your outfitter/guide..... do we have permission to release the hounds here ?? How about here ?? How about here ?? My GPS thingy says there's some private land a mile from here in that direction........ I mean come on man.... GET REAL .... You book a hound hunt for cats or bears.... and you trust that your outfitter knows his area and where he can release his dogs.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear