deerslayer 13-May-17
expeditiontraders 13-May-17
PAstringking 14-May-17
StickFlicker 15-May-17
Bushwacker 15-May-17
TreeWalker 15-May-17
Glunt@work 15-May-17
10-May-17
Is it worth the $100 to enroll in the Global Entry Program? I don't fly internationally very often, once last year and our trip to Namibia this year. But I do fly once or twice a year within the USA and they say the Global Entry works the same as the TSA precheck program.

10-May-17
There is a free app called "Mobile Pass" that you can shortcut US entry by filling stuff out online before you enter the US. Might be a middle of the road option for you. Good luck! C

10-May-17
Depends on how many times you will utilize the service per year and the traveling the designated airports where the program is utilized.

10-May-17
I think it would be a waste of $100 for your situation. Of course, that depends upon a lot of factors (value of the $$$, value of your time, the airport you fly out of, etc). I would say that most likely, it wouldn't be worth it based upon the number of times you fly per year. Also remember that the Global Entry Program is more complicated than just paying the $100... something else that may result in you spending more time and effort to get the card than you would save standing in the airport screening line.

11-May-17
YES YES YES its worth it. Believe me...even if you only travel out of the country once a year....its worth it. I have TSA PreCheck and didnt opt for the Global Entry program. Sorry mistake. Just got back from Spain 2 weeks ago and spent 1.40 min in line at customs. This is after very little sleep on an 8 hour flight and still 4 hours of drive time ahead of me.

Global Entry would have had me out in 20 min.

11-May-17

PAstringking's embedded Photo
PAstringking's embedded Photo
This sucks... believe me

11-May-17
PAstringking: you are 100% correct! I have it, it's simple to get and would not be without it. Not even a second's hesitation. When I got mine in the very early days it was tougher to get, but now it's simple. We even got it for our grandkids. Just do it.

11-May-17
Totally worth it. BTW, some premium credit cards like American Express Platinum will reimburse you for the fee.

My wife travels frequently for business and after getting stuck in one line too many like PAstringking posted above, she got it and then I got it.

There are certain airports in the US that are CONSTANTLY a cluster for international arrivals. Having the fast pass gets you through these nightmare airports like Atlanta, for example. Atlanta seems completely surprised, dazed, and confused every time an international flight shows up. It's a complete sh!tshow every time, all the time.

You won't regret it the first time you power past the massive line.

Grouse

11-May-17
Ahhhh yeeeessss......looking at that two hour line and just walking right around it! Priceless! Feels great every time.

11-May-17
Mobile Pass is free!

11-May-17
"Totally worth it. BTW, some premium credit cards like American Express Platinum will reimburse you for the fee. "

And some Frequent Flyer programs will offer a discount as well.

11-May-17
Before I decided to purchase, I would want to know every U.S. airport that honors/utilizes the Global Entry Program.

If I didn't have the GE pass, I would simply allow enough time between arrival of int'l flight and domestic departures to ensure I didn't miss my scheduled domestic flight departure.

I have entered US via Atlanta several times and have never had a 1.40 hr. line wait. I have also reentered US from Canada several times and never had long waits. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

A $100 to me on an African hunt is 1/3 of a warthog or about 1/4 of an impala. What is a short wait vs. a life time memory of an animal taken?

13-May-17
I work for CBP and conduct both global and NEXUS interviews. Don't get the global entry. Get the NEXUS card which works for land border crossings as well as airport pre-check. Plus it's only $50 vs $100. Basically you get more out of the NEXUS card for less $.

13-May-17
Do it

13-May-17
Thanks Justin. I'm going to get Nexus soon as I'll be traveling to Canada more frequently now.

13-May-17
deerslayer,

It appears that you must get the NEXUS card at or near Canadian border crossings (because those are the interview locations), which doesn't appear to help the OP who is looking to fly to Africa and lives in Texas?

13-May-17
Of course it's worth it. Anything to separate you from the masses is worth having. Unless your time isn't worth anything..

13-May-17
StickFlicker,

You are correct. I didn't realize he lived in Texas. You can also get the interview done at select Canadian airports. If you can justify a trip North NEXUS is the way to go, but the OP may not have the time for that if his trip is soon.

13-May-17
It is $100 for 5 years. In other words $20 a year. It is worth it to me to avoid an hour long wait.

14-May-17
Charlie... Mobile Pass only gets you about a 1/4 way through. I waited for about 40 min in line just to use the computer....the other hour was waiting on an agent to pass you through. The Mobile Pass only bypasses the computer part.

15-May-17
deerslayer,

It appears that you must get the NEXUS card at Canadian border crossings, which doesn't appear to help the OP who is looking to fly to Africa and lives in Texas, nor does it appear to help bypass long lines in airports outside of the US or Canada?

15-May-17
Thanks for the input and advice. As we will probably start traveling more to hunt, we may invest the time and the money to get the GE. Too late to get it done before our Alaskan trip though, but hey, live and learn. And yes, we're in Texas, don't expect to be on the ground near the Canadian border anytime soon, but it was still good advice for those that might be.

15-May-17
Have Global Entry. Almost all airports you would be flying to have TSA and TSA honors GE in FastPass. I save 20-45 minutes each flight with what is usually a shorter line and is always a faster line since the travelers with FastPass know the routine so are not setting off alerts and leaving water in their carry on etc that hold up things. You also get to keep your shoes and belt on and your laptop stays in carry on. So save 5 minutes or so as get past security. If your US Passport expires while your GE is active then no need to go to Post Office or Consulate since can renew online. That will save you an hour or more driving to/from and being in line at Post Office. Unless you are retired, figure out what an hour away from work costs you and the GE fee is easy to justify in time saved.

15-May-17
I don't have to fly like I used to but we signed up for CLEAR last Summer on trip with our 7 & 10 year old kids. It was pretty nice and we avoided some long waits

• Sitka Gear