Beav 14-Jun-17
squirrel 14-Jun-17
squirrel 14-Jun-17
elkstabber 15-Jun-17
HerdManager 15-Jun-17
Smtn10PT 15-Jun-17
squirrel 15-Jun-17
13-Jun-17
So my son and I were up at Lake Erie yesterday. There are lots of giant carp (30-50 pounds), but they are incredibly boat shy. The shots we typically get are 5-8 feet deep. Sometimes they are close to the boat, but they always start to drop when they see the boat. I shot a huge one yesterday. Conservatively I'll say 40 pounds. I drilled him, but I think I only got 3" or 4" into the fish. He freaked out and wrapped my line around a bunch of weeds and pulled off.

I need to be able to shoot deeper. I was looking at the FMJ bowfishing arrows. My bow is a Hoyt 55-65 pounds and I have it bottomed out. My son has a Craze that goes to 70 pounds, so I was thinking of switching bows. He could use my Hoyt at 50 pounds and I could crank up his Craze to the max.

Any other suggestions for shooting really huge fish that will be 5-8 feet down? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13-Jun-17
Scuba Gear Seriously tho you need to find where they are in shallower water. You won't get penetration in that deep of water no matter what weight you shoot.

13-Jun-17
Heavy arrows, if your running the cheap white ones, upgrade to the camo blue aluminum carbon ones.

13-Jun-17
There are some threads about this on bowfishing country, there are some really creative ways to get your arrow weight up for deeper shots...

13-Jun-17
Just aim lower. 1200 grain arrow will kill anything. Deep fish are hard to hit.

13-Jun-17
Try Chautauqua Lake, NY or Pymatuming Reservoir in Pa....they aren't as deep.....

13-Jun-17
double post

14-Jun-17
We often shoot fish that are 5-6 foot deep and sometimes deeper. I would recommend shooting 70 lbs or more if you can. Also look at pinching your barbs down a little for better penetration.

14-Jun-17
Use Steel Force Broadheads for better penetration.

14-Jun-17

14-Jun-17
Use dynamite first or a telephone and then you can shootum right off the surface.

14-Jun-17
HM, I highly doubt you will get any more zip from the Craze at 70 than you will from the Hoyt at 65. The performance on the Craze is not that good. Depends on your model Hoyt obviously.

14-Jun-17
The water in this bay is crystal clear, like the Caribbean. You can see the bottom 15-20 feet down in detail. I actually did email the Fish Commission multiple times about the legality of spearfishing, and they will not reply to me. I ordered some of the Easton FMJ bowfishing arrows. We'll see how it goes this weekend......

14-Jun-17
I agree with Brotsky on the Craze. Good luck I hope the FMJ arrows help.

14-Jun-17

squirrel's embedded Photo
go down where they are!
go down where they are!

14-Jun-17

go down where they are!
go down where they are!

15-Jun-17
squirrel: did you wrestle that one up or shoot it with something?

15-Jun-17
Is that a carp or smallmouth buffalo?

15-Jun-17

Smtn10PT's embedded Photo
Smtn10PT's embedded Photo
My advice is don't tempt yourself with those deep fish, find shallower ones if you can. If you crank your bows all the way up and then come across them in the shallower water youll bury your arrows so deep you wont be able to pull them out of the muck!

15-Jun-17

Scuba/spearfishing... big ass buffalo, bottomed out a 30# scale with a thud. I wasn't after him but how could I say no when Moby Dick swims by?? I was there after these. But targets of opportunity sometimes are too tempting, as long as somebody will take them and eat them I am happy to shoot them.

• Sitka Gear