drycreek 15-Jun-17
greenmountain 15-Jun-17
Copperman 16-Jun-17
Surfbow 16-Jun-17
BIG BEAR 16-Jun-17
Too Many Bows Bob 16-Jun-17
13-Jun-17
From Bearing Arms, via Hot Air:

"Wife of Hartford, CT Police Officer Destroys Anti-Gun Politician in Scathing Letter

June 13, 2017 by Jenn Jacques

We’ve all heard ridiculous claims about law enforcement, but this one really takes the cake.

State Representative Minnie Gonzalez (D-Hartford) had quite a bit to say about HB 6663, a Police Accountability Bill she is passionately supporting. Discussing the bill in front of the Connecticut Legislature’s General Assembly, Gonzalez said:

(Here's the video)

“This bill is to hold accountable and to stop those cowboys that, because they got a bat and a gun, they think they can go shooting especially young kids in our community. This is not the Wild Wild West. And no consequences. Those cowboys doesn’t belong in the police department. This abuse has got to stop.”

While thousands of Connecticans have spoken out against Gonzalez’s ignorant and irresponsible remarks, but one response has gone viral. Marissa Cullen, the wife of a Hartford Police Officer, took the anti-gun liberal to task in an epic smack down.

In an open letter, Cullen wrote:

To State Representative Minnie Gonzalez:

I am the proud wife of a Hartford Police Officer and Air Force Veteran. The men and women of the Hartford Police Department are some of the finest people I know and have more integrity than you could ever wish to have. They serve their communities with pride, dedication, and distinction. These officers put their lives on the line every single day, for little pay, little recognition, and with very little support from elected politicians. These men and women go into their neighborhoods every day truly trying to make a difference, something you know nothing about.

The comments made by you on June 5, 2017, in defense of Bill HB6663 were appalling, ignorant, and unnecessary. While you stated that you support the HPD and its officers, your statements were a direct contradiction to that. Let me address them one by one.

You stated that the officers were cowboys with guns and bats. I’m not sure I have ever seen them wear cowboy hats or boots to work. I have seen officers on horseback, however, they were not herding cattle. I have seen my husband come home with blood on his boots and tears in his eyes as he has faced some of the most horrific acts humans can do to one another. I’ve watched him on phone calls with other officers, consoling them as they attempted to come to terms with the suicide call, or child abuse case, or the senseless murders that occur all too frequently.

You stated that there are good and bad cops, you are correct. There are far more good ones than bad, which is more than I can say for politicians. The vast majority of police officers joined the force to do good, to make a change, and to be positive influences in their communities.

You stated that HPD officers have good pay, good benefits, and a good pension. What you fail to mention is that their good pay comes from countless hours of overtime, or road jobs (which are not paid for by the city, and the city actually makes money off of), you fail to mention the missed birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, and special occasions they have missed in order to protect your ignorance. From my understanding, you get paid a hefty stipend for being an elected official, receive benefits, and will receive a pension.

You stated that “you” pay for the officers’ lunch and dinner. I’m not sure how you determined that, as I send my husband with his meals daily, while he works his 16-hour shifts. He frequently comes home with his meals still in his bag, as they do not get a lunch break, and is often lucky if he can even get a bite in between calls.

You stated that these “cowboys” are killing young kids in our community with no consequences, and this abuse needs to stop. Since 2005 there have been 20 Officer Involved Shootings according to HPD data. That’s one shooting every 219 days by an officer. Considering the amount of public interaction, and the calls for service, this equates to a less than 1% chance of being shot by a police officer in Hartford. The last time a person was killed by a police officer in Hartford was in 2013, a whole 4 years ago, and it was entirely justified. Again, your ignorance is glaring, and your abuse of police officers needs to be stopped.

You stated that you pass laws frequently to protect and train police officers. The training is mandated by the State of CT, and you have done nothing to indemnify or protect officers of your community. In fact, based on your history, I am not even sure how you can remain in office. Your family has been called a “crime syndicate.” You have been found guilty of elections violations, you have the “Minnie Gonzalez Little League,” which receives over $75,000 a year in taxpayer money, and is managed by your husband. In fact, it seems as if you have a significant conflict of interest in presenting or debating any type of law enforcement bill, as taking power away from the police directly benefits you and your family.

It is very easy to sit in your safe office and make ignorant, untrue statements towards our officers. They need your support, not your condemnation. You lack integrity, honesty, and decency. You should take a ride along with a Hartford Police Officer on a Saturday night during the summer, and see what they are exposed to. Have you ever taken simulation training? I’m sure you would not make accurate split-second decisions that you expect from our officers. You truly should be ashamed of your statements against HPD and in fact, should issue a very public apology for condemning them in the way you did.

Sincerely,

Marissa Cullen

The Wife Of A Hartford Police Officer

P.S.: Here is the link to your inaccurate, cowardly statements, to refresh your memory:"

This idiot CT assembly member is not only hateful, stupid and wrong, she's also largely illiterate, as you can tell by listening to her!

13-Jun-17
My wife's aunt lives in Hartford. I hope she didn't vote for this bitch. Such stupidity can only be found in politicians.

Mrs. Cullen is a breath of fresh air !

13-Jun-17
Good for her!

13-Jun-17
Very well written.

13-Jun-17
Very well written.

13-Jun-17
Atta girl!!!!

13-Jun-17
Nicely done!

13-Jun-17
Great topic for the Sheep forum!!

13-Jun-17
Good on Marissa!

F Minnie G.

13-Jun-17
Very well written and I am glad this is getting sent around. That said, I disagree with the ignorance claim - Gonzalez is FULLY AWARE of what she's saying. She's a manipulator looking to further her own agenda and net worth. Don't give her the credit of ignorance, the only thing she is interested in is herself. These "politicians" are outright criminals, not public servants.

13-Jun-17
I posted on the wrong thread!

I meant to post this on the CF!

My bad!

13-Jun-17
Incredible ignorance. Since the Hartford cops are so terrible, perhaps this gal wouldn't mind if they all took a couple weeks off.

13-Jun-17
Bought a bow from a former police officer yesterday (his daughters bow), he had to take disability because of a scuffle with a bad guy. I thanked him for his service. What would it be like without our men and women in uniform?

13-Jun-17
I am from CT and am a city paid firefighter, we work hand and hand with many of the state and local cops. They are some of the finest men and woman I have ever met. They have lives and families that they want to return home to, in this state the lack of respect for law enforcement from the general population is disgusting. We go to many medical calls in the same area as the police and when we pull in we have 2-3 year olds who don't understand any better yelling run the po-po "police" is here. I feel for my brother law enforcement agents, they are always under the magnifying scope. Body cams, call reviews, etc. If there is an issue the police are treated as if they were the ones who broke the law instead of the ones up holding it. The políticans show no support, it's a disgrace.

13-Jun-17
There's never been a worse time to be a Police Officer in my 23 years than in the last 4 years or so ago. I am spent dealing with people's negative attitude towards the Police fueled by Obama.... I can't wait to retire in 3 years but until then I will do my job professionally and serve the citizens of our city fairly and respectfully to the best of my ability. My wife too is the wife of a cop and she is a 911 operator in our city that routinely answers more than 50,000 calls for Police services a year.... not to mention the Fire Department runs.

14-Jun-17
Well said Silverado!! And being from Ct also, I think we can agree it starts at the top. This current Ct administration sucks! They've run this state in the ground, nobody wants to live here! Thank You Marissa for the letter!

14-Jun-17
That girl outta run for Gonzales' job!

15-Jun-17
I don't care if this was posted on sheep forum or any other forum, just nice to see some positive support for leo out there.

15-Jun-17
The irony is, some of these a$$wipes that denigrate LEOs will be the first one to call the "po-po " when something goes wrong. I don't want to spiral into a rant, but I am totally disgusted with the way this country has gone downhill in my lifetime.

15-Jun-17
I don't know any Hartford cops. I do know some Vermont cops. I would feel good hunting and fishing with these folks. I can not say the same about any politician I have dealt with. I am sure there are good politicians out there as well as bad cops. Good cops will drive the bad ones out. About politicians you can come to your own conclusions...

16-Jun-17
Big Bear I agree, I've been working for 22 years myself and it is by far the worst time to be a police officer in this country. The incident in VA this week reminds me of the media attention during 911. "look at these officers they are heroes they put the risk to their own lives aside to step in an save strangers" They are heroes but, folks I got to tell you if it happens again tomorrow, next week, of five years from now the same thing will happen some officer that has never met you will run towards that gunfire to save the lives of a bunch of strangers. Why? because that is our jobs we accept that and do it proudly. The biggest problem from all the negativity towards police that I see is this.........the numbers of people wanting to do this job is seriously diminishing, there will be a serious shortage of police officers in the next 5-10 years. Sorry for the rant

16-Jun-17
"There are far more good ones than bad, which is more than I can say for politicians."

TRUTH!!!

16-Jun-17
Yessir Copperman !! Fight the good fight !! We finally have some leadership in President Trump that is showing support and recognition towards law enforcement......

16-Jun-17
I'll bet if the cops in Hartford all called in sick for a couple of weeks she'd be singing a different tune.

TMBB

• Sitka Gear