No Bark 19-Jun-17
BOWUNTR 20-Jun-17
NvaGvUp 21-Jun-17
NvaGvUp 23-Jun-17
BOWUNTR 23-Jun-17
BULELK1 24-Jun-17
NvaGvUp 24-Jun-17
16-Jun-17
This morning I was informed that the CA DFW's Wildlife Chief, T.O. Smith, has been removed.

T.O. was hired in December and was a very thoughtful and strong advocate for wildlife in California. In all the years I've worked with the good folks at the CA DFW, never have I seen a leader at his level within the department who believed so strongly in actually getting things done rather than just talking and telling us why things couldn't get done.

The only official word I have re. his termination was that the DFW "wanted to go in a different direction." My fear is that T.O. wasn't sucking up to all of the bunny-huggers in CA enough. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Wildlife in CA, in my opinion, has just lost the best advocate for science-based wildlife management they could ever have hoped to have.

DAMN!

16-Jun-17
Sorry to read that Kyle.

We for sure know why you moved to Nv. man!!

So sad---the politics of Cali.....

Good luck, Robb

16-Jun-17
Robb,

Shortly after I heard the news, I informed one of my sportsman friends, a person who is respected across the country. He was shocked and pizzed at least as much as I am.

16-Jun-17
California has a serious lack of thoughtful people in leadership positions, too bad...

16-Jun-17
We Have Leadership??? Where????!

16-Jun-17
Bummer. I fear for hunting and the future of wildlife in CA.

16-Jun-17
Terrible... It's only gonna get worse... Ed F

16-Jun-17
Robb,

"We for sure know why you moved to Nv. man!!"

Every single day I realize what a good move that was. Every single day!

16-Jun-17
California has become a pit, both for the sportsman and the politics. Makes you wonder if it fell off into the ocean if it would be a bad thing or good!

16-Jun-17
I suppose a bad thing since the crazies would scatter out around the rest of the country and screw it up too at least now they have a concentration!

16-Jun-17
That's a real bummer to lose a pro-hunting Branch Chief.

16-Jun-17
Don,

We've lost the best guy we've seen in that role in decades. And perhaps because he believed in science-based wildlife management instead of 'feelings based' management. Perhaps there was a different reason, but that would be my guess at this point.

W.A.S.S.!

18-Jun-17
Cali. is doomed to fail, controlled by the left. Im a fish and wildlife bio. and probably like this man, Id manage based on science, not feelings. When I was in San Jose back in May, I got a real uncomfortable feeling about wildlife mgt. after a week and could never move there permenantly, despite immediate family living there. Probably not even temporarily. No way.

19-Jun-17
Good grief, just keeps getting better all the time...

19-Jun-17
Probably needed to replace him with a gender correct individual of an approved minority. People in state government don't get hired because of ability.

19-Jun-17
We could use him up here in Washington!

20-Jun-17
Where's the news on this? I cannot find anything. A government leader is fired and not one peep... This was brought up on another site and was taken down as fake news... Ed F

21-Jun-17
It's not fake news, trust me. I wish it were!

23-Jun-17
I've had several chats with folks in the know on this.

To my great surprise and relief, my bunny-hugger concern was unfounded.

I'm also pleased to say the key folks at the DFW are committed to staying the course on the key things we've been wanting to get done.

23-Jun-17
So he wasn't fired or was he fired for a different reason or was this fake news to begin with? Ed F

24-Jun-17
'Every single day I realize what a good move that was. Every single day! '

I remember from a few years back when you gave me some advice/strategy for what state to retire in, Nv., Wyo and Az. topped your list-----taxes/hunting

For me it is Wyoming.

Back on topic--------------

So did he get axed? or replaced?

Thanks

Good luck, Robb

24-Jun-17
He was removed, but not because he did not fall in line with the bunny huggers. The bunny hugger thing did not come into play.

The position will be filled once a search for his replacement is concluded.

• Sitka Gear